Trending Games | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn | Star Wars: The Old Republic | World of Warcraft | EverQuest

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,901,027 Users Online:0
Games:753  Posts:6,271,314
ArenaNet | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 08/28/12)  | Pub:NCSoft
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$49.99 | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC Mac | Out of date info? Let us know!

Guild Wars 2 Forum » General Discussion » Good introduction to Guild Wars 2

2 Pages 1 2 » Search
38 posts found
  spades07

Apprentice Member

OP  3/28/13 12:35:52 PM#1

Buy product, wait 45 minutes to install. And then have to download a 4gb patch.

That's such an awful introduction to a new game. Wait 3 hours till you can play it.

On it's box, "Get the game and play. It's that simple!". Yep you just got to wait 3 hours.

But hey lets hope it's a great game.

Aerowyn

Novice Member

3/28/13 12:39:32 PM#2
Originally posted by spades07

That's such an awful introduction to a new game. Wait 3 hours till you can play it.

On it's box, "Get the game and play. It's that simple!". Yep you just got to wait 3 hours.

so pretty much the same with every single MMO out that has been out for a decent amount of time. Lots of patches have happened between when the disc was printed and now. I generally just do the digital download so i end up downloading the entire game for MMOs anyway. Full game is about 16GB anyway so only having to d/l 4gb isn't huge

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

GeezerGamer

Elite Member

3/28/13 2:28:23 PM#3

Is this your 1st MMO?

It's the sad state of the genre. The next big title has as many threads discussing issues with it's business model than issues with the game itself.

botrytis

Advanced Member

3/28/13 2:32:03 PM#4

Rift is 27 GB now - try downlaoding that.

At least there are patches - some games never fix anything.....

"In 50 years, when I talk to my grandchildren about these days, I'll make sure to mention what an accomplished MMO player I was. They are going to be so proud ..."
by Naqaj - 7/17/2013 MMORPG.com forum

ESSKA

Novice Member

3/28/13 3:33:19 PM#5
They are relentless...
  observer

Elite Member

First came pride, then envy.

3/28/13 7:44:13 PM#6
Every game requires an install.  A good introduction to PCs? yes.
  Purutzil

Elite Member

The Critical Hit Pretzel!

3/28/13 7:45:42 PM#7
Pretty much named what happens in a good majority of MMos there. With Digital Downloads, its even less expected for a game to really have additiona 'updated' cds released for the game out there on the market no matter what the game is.
  kanechart

Tipster

3/29/13 2:52:48 AM#8
Guild Wars 2 has updates and added content and new features? WTH I did not pay for this!

Check out Stardale http://stardale.net
Inspired by Minecraft procedural generation and Terraria 2D gameplay we go even further with procedural generated space and exploration. Start with almost nothing and work your way to launching rockets, satellites and even yourself into space, where a whole new set of adventures awaits you!

Corehaven

Novice Member

I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you.

3/29/13 2:56:11 AM#9

Ah yes.  Welcome to mmorpgs OP.  Hope you enjoy them. 

They can be lots of fun, and don't forget to try to join a guild and make some friends.  MMOs are always better that way. 

Sorry you had to wait for it to install and update.  That's just the way it is with these games most of the time.  Hope you enjoy it though now that it's installed. 

RizelStar

Novice Member

We all breathe and we all die.

3/29/13 11:15:02 AM#10
Why...

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

kaiser3282

Tipster

3/29/13 11:17:08 AM#11
For someone who's been around on this site for almost 5 years, I would think you would have installed at least 1 MMO in that time.
  Blindchance

Novice Member

4/02/13 6:17:56 AM#12
Someone is really eager to play heh. You should be happy that the developers constantly work on the game and add content. It's no different from any other title, even a single player or multiplayer game.
  Naqaj

Novice Member

4/03/13 9:18:38 AM#13

If you guys brush your cynicism aside for a moment, you might have remembered things like WoW's installer, that allows people to jump into the game after just a few minutes, while still downloading the rest of the files in the background.

Or the way GW1 actually streamed map data on demand, which also allowed for very short installation time.

OPs question perfectly viable.

Lydon

Apprentice Member

4/03/13 9:23:02 AM#14

Seriously? 810 posts in and that comes as a surprise to you? It's no different to any other MMO. And hey...each of those kilobytes contribute towards a less buggy, more content-filled end-product, which only benefits you at the end of the day. I'd be worried if I installed an MMO and months after release I didn't have to download a patch.

MadDemon64

Elite Member

Why is it that fantasy trolls are vulnerable to fire, but internet trolls thrive on flame wars?

4/03/13 9:29:21 AM#15
Originally posted by Naqaj

If you guys brush your cynicism aside for a moment, you might have remembered things like WoW's installer, that allows people to jump into the game after just a few minutes, while still downloading the rest of the files in the background.

Or the way GW1 actually streamed map data on demand, which also allowed for very short installation time.

I dunno, I think its like asking "Why do I have to build my Gundam model kit to see the completed product?  I want to see it now!"

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

Naqaj

Novice Member

4/03/13 9:44:40 AM#16
Yeah, that analogy doesn't really work out. Can't play too well with a partially completed gundam model. 
  Nadia

Elite Member

4/03/13 10:23:43 AM#17

on thing that GW2 (and GW1) do *great* 

-- there are no long downtimes for new patches or 8 hour maintenance days (like WOW)

kpshyazn

Novice Member

4/03/13 3:13:50 PM#18

Back when I played WoW - I do not remember this feature.  All I know is most game, I've played, you had to wait for downloads.  Even for recent game like SC2...

I do remember patch days in WoW where I couldn't play the game for hours.  I also remember those queues where I couldn't enter the game for hours.  Thankfully, GW2 has overflow and insta-patches.

SirFubar

Apprentice Member

4/03/13 3:29:29 PM#19

In case you didn't know, it took years for blizzard to release such a tool. And it's probably one of the only MMO's that allows you to play the game without having to complete all the downloads.

So no the OP question isn't perfectly viable, its just your usual rant on something which was in every single MMO.

Naqaj

Novice Member

4/04/13 8:22:55 AM#20
Originally posted by kpshyazn

Back when I played WoW - I do not remember this feature.  

It was introduced either near the end of WOTLK or with the beginning of Cataclysm, don't remember the exact patch.

It doesn't really matter how many others are or aren't doing it. It's a really neat solution to the problem the OP pointed out, and it's a solution that Arenanet already developed for GW1.

2 Pages 1 2 » Search