Trending Games | World of Warcraft | Landmark | Villagers and Heroes | Guild Wars 2

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,920,032 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,310,657
ArenaNet | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 08/28/12)  | Pub:NCSoft
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$49.99 | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC Mac | Out of date info? Let us know!

Guild Wars 2 Forum » General Discussion » GW2: So you're LFG No Problem I Got You Covered

2 Pages « 1 2 Search
32 posts found
  Silentstorm

Apprentice Member

OP  3/15/13 1:01:10 PM#21
Originally posted by mazut
[mod edit]

Yea you must not be in touch with the community. Like I said above don't assume because you know something. That EVERYONE knows it that is again elitest and not helping. What you are saying is assume everything and help no one. I posted it on the main forums and got mobbed with thank yous and I didn't knows. So obviously people (didn't) know. As to take it a step further in a recent interview Arena Net said it was taking steps to help people group easier. Meaning that a problem exists in the first place. I also never said anything about it being my creation or saying it's my method. It's called helping that is what sponsored you tuber supposed to do.

I throw it back at you don't come in here uninformed about your own community. Because you just owned yourself with lack of research.

Madamefate

Novice Member

3/15/13 1:08:04 PM#22
Don't waste your time with noob elitest Storm. When guys have something negative to say about positive posts. They automatically stamp themselves a troll idiot. Like Bladestorm said what is his point beyond being a hater or jealous.
  observer

Elite Member

First came pride, then envy.

3/15/13 5:44:30 PM#23
Originally posted by aesperus

Site works fine, but there is a very real reason why Anet doesn't have this ingame.

LFG tools are extremely convenient, but what you give up to implement them is your sense of community. The unfortunate biproduct of implementing any LFG tool is that it starts to turn your game into a lobby game. You can look at literally any MMO with a LFG feature, and see how the majority of players just sit in town, waiting for their LFG que to pop for dungeon or battleground X. LFG tools just kill any incentive to ever leave town once you hit max lvl.

GW2 also illustrates this quite well. Before tools like the lfg site were popularized, most people would actually go to the zones to run dungeon X or Y. While waiting for groups they would often be found doing the local events, helping lower lvls complete stuff, etc. This was deliberate, and why Anet designed the dungeons the way they did.

However, as LFG gained more and more popularity, people started hanging out in lion's arch more and more often. It nearly killed some of the zones as a result. Anet recently made changes to world bosses, which fixes this issue to some degree, except there is also a boss timer site which people frequent to only show up in areas during the times a boss is supposed to spawn.

I understand the appeal, but gaming the system is such ways, while convient, creates pretty big problems when it comes to MMOs. People often complain about games feeling shallow, hallow, or having no sense of community. Tools like these go a long way to reinforcing that feeling.

Waypoints invalidate your argument.  They are purposely implemented for convenience.  The "sense of community" is never there, when you can just waypoint everywhere.  This "sense of community" that people always bring up is an illusion.  It never existed, unless you want to say that text through chat is a sense of community.  If anything, keeping people in major hubs is actually a real community interacting with each other (Trade Post, Crafting Stations, Bank, etc).

I believe you're confusing "community socialization" with cooperation in the world zones.  A-Net has delivered on this really well.  I just don't see how convenience is a valid argument against a LFG tool, when this game is extreme with convenience already. /shrug

observer

Elite Member

3/15/13 5:47:52 PM#24
Originally posted by mazut
[mod edit]

Relax.  He's just showing the usefulness of the website.  Nowhere did he claim it was his website or idea.  Stop getting upset over someone who's trying to help the community. 

Silentstorm

Apprentice Member

OP  3/16/13 7:01:58 AM#25
Thanks guys (mod) as well.
  Doogiehowser

Apprentice Member

3/16/13 7:08:17 AM#26
It is a good effort but i will wait for something official by Anet.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
-Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
-Luke McKinney

Bad.dog

Hard Core Member

3/16/13 9:43:31 AM#27
Originally posted by Silentstorm
Thanks guys (mod) as well.

Thanks as always Silentstorm ...I appreciate the info you pass on at this site

Silentstorm

Apprentice Member

OP  3/16/13 11:12:22 PM#28
N/p enjoy side note did you guys see a fake version appeared of this site lol?
  wordiz

Advanced Member

3/17/13 3:38:14 AM#29

I'm just trying to figure out what there is to group for. lol.

http://thewordiz.wordpress.com/

Lokberg

Advanced Member

3/17/13 6:29:00 AM#30
Originally posted by wordiz

Well there is dungeons fractals and the shrine events in orr and ofcourse just for the fun of it

observer

Elite Member

3/17/13 4:47:24 PM#31
Originally posted by wordiz

Dungeons and the new Guild Missions.

Silentstorm

Apprentice Member

OP  3/18/13 11:08:04 AM#32
Also not everyone is in a guild. Or want to be bothered with one for that matter. So finding a group this way is also a valid option. 
2 Pages « 1 2 Search