Trending Games | Landmark | Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade | Camelot Unchained | Star Wars: The Old Republic

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,919,448 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,309,825
ArenaNet | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 08/28/12)  | Pub:NCSoft
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$49.99 | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC Mac | Out of date info? Let us know!

10 posts found
  Clypto75

Novice Member

OP  3/17/13 2:20:47 PM#1

Well, decided to test out the new PC and try GW2 again after not playing for several months. I probably played the game for 3 weeks, stopped, account got hacked, reset password then never played again. Now I loaded it up, patched, and logged in to the game to find my account is terminated.

Huh...

I am unable to open a ticket because my account is disabled. Navigation on the site runs me in circles, has anybody had this happen to them and how did you resolve it? So many issues from this game alone, never so many in other games I have played.

Jean-Luc_Picard

Hard Core Member

There... are... four... lights!

3/17/13 2:24:17 PM#2

https://en.support.guildwars2.com/app/ask/

Took me like 10 seconds to find...

Enjoy and good luck.

PS: and it looks like your account may have been hacked for the second time. I'd check my PC for eventual keyloggers or other spyware.

Playing now: WoW, Landmark, GW2

Got a refund: Archeage. First refund since I started MMOs.

Top 3 MMORPGs played: UO, AC1 and WoW

Honorable mentions: AO, LotRO and GW2.

"The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn. After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that neither does the ability to write.

Halandir

Hard Core Member

3/17/13 2:26:46 PM#3

You do not use your gameaccount when you use the support system.

Go to www.guildwars2.com --> Support --> (read the announcement) --> Ask a question --> Wait for mail reply!

We dont need casuals in our games!!! Errm... Well we DO need casuals to fund and populate our games - But the games should be all about "hardcore" because: We dont need casuals in our games!!!
(repeat ad infinitum)

Rhoklaw

Elite Member

$500 Backer to 2015's Top New MMO... The Repopulation!

3/17/13 2:30:41 PM#4

Doesn't suprise me as do similar hacks that occur in WoW that everyone so quickly claims as being the user's fault. Let it be known, that any game that has rampant gold farming practices usually suffers from internal subterfuge. The amount of unused accounts that get hacked in popular MMO's is not coincidence. I've had my WoW accounts hacked on several occasions and ONLY when I had not been playing for a few months.

I'm pretty sure Blizzard and many other top companies are now turning a blind eye to gold farmers, in exchange for some of the profits. On top of that, they'll deceive you into thinking they care by selling random key generators to help protect your accounts. Sorry, but that is just another silly cash grab from a company that knew all too well that forcing it's players to use their email addresses as their login information was bad security practice.

Hacked accounts are now a product of greedy companies, simple as that. Gold farmers are no longer the problem, but rather the gaming companies who don't put a stop to them.

Clypto75

Novice Member

OP  3/17/13 2:32:35 PM#5
Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

https://en.support.guildwars2.com/app/ask/

Took me like 10 seconds to find...

Enjoy and good luck.

PS: and it looks like your account may have been hacked for the second time. I'd check my PC for eventual keyloggers or other spyware.

If it was a snake it would have bit me, thank you.

Jean-Luc_Picard

Hard Core Member

3/17/13 2:33:39 PM#6
Originally posted by Rhoklaw

Doesn't suprise me as do similar hacks that occur in WoW that everyone so quickly claims as being the user's fault. Let it be known, that any game that has rampant gold farming practices usually suffers from internal subterfuge. The amount of unused accounts that get hacked in popular MMO's is not coincidence. I've had my WoW accounts hacked on several occasions and ONLY when I had not been playing for a few months.

I'm pretty sure Blizzard and many other top companies are now turning a blind eye to gold farmers, in exchange for some of the profits. On top of that, they'll deceive you into thinking they care by selling random key generators to help protect your accounts. Sorry, but that is just another silly cash grab from a company that knew all too well that forcing it's players to use their email addresses as their login information was bad security practice.

Hacked accounts are now a product of greedy companies, simple as that. Gold farmers are no longer the problem, but rather the gaming companies who don't put a stop to them.

EDIT:

Gonna add something to this.

I've been playing pay to play (commercial) MMORPGs for like 17 years now (UO beta). I have 5 real life friends and 1 family member who play those for 8 to 10+ years too (one of them 17 years like me, he was in UO beta too). I've been part of and led guilds of all sizes, including large ones, including in games like WoW. The total number of people I've played MMOs with must be way past 1000 in total. I've never been hacked, and I can count the number of people I played with and who got hacked on the fingers of one hand. And it was always "PEBCAK" (Problem Exists Between Chair And Keyboard).

I don't buy the conspiracy theory. Accounts get hacked either because of a poor/weak login/password combo, or because people use the same login/password in several games and/or also on fan websites with poor security, or because they got infected by some virus/keylogger, or because they trusted "friends" or even family with their account credentials. Keep in mind that even if YOUR computer is safe because you know what you're doing (or think so...), your brother's, your cousin's or your friend's is possibly not.

So when I give my advice to the OP, it's not to be an ass. It's because if he got hacked twice, there's definitely something wrong on HIS side, that he should check out and fix to avoid any future frustration. Now it's not my account, I don't know the OP, so I don't really care, I was just trying to help.

"The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn. After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that neither does the ability to write.

Clypto75

Novice Member

OP  3/17/13 6:09:50 PM#7
Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

So when I give my advice to the OP, it's not to be an ass. It's because if he got hacked twice, there's definitely something wrong on HIS side, that he should check out and fix to avoid any future frustration. Now it's not my account, I don't know the OP, so I don't really care, I was just trying to help.

Weirdly enough - Rift, WoW, LoL, SC2, D3, and Steam accounts never got touched on the same PC around the same time. /shrug Sure I could have been hacked twice from my PC, but when I wasnt even playing the game I would say that it is more then likely that the security issue was on the games side. Anywho, thanks again for the help with the ticket.

maji

Spotlight Poster

3/17/13 6:16:54 PM#8
Originally posted by Rhoklaw

I play MMORPGs since nearly a decade. I never had any account hacked. Not WOW, FE, GW2, TR, AOC, WAR, Rift, Tera or any other MMORPG I played. In 99% of all cases it's the users fault. I never needed any authenticators or similiar stuff either.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

Fly666monkey

Hard Core Member

3/17/13 7:49:08 PM#9

Are you, by chance, a member of a fansite or guild website that is dedicated to GW2? The vast majority of account hacking by gold farmers is by attacking fan sites, which are FAR less secure than the game's and company's servers, getting usernames and passwords, then just trying them out in game and hope they find a match.

I remember that that dude, MarkeedDragon, managed to get an interview with a Chinese gold farmer looking to rat on his employer. (His name was witheld for obvious reasons.)  Said farmer explicitly stated that the above mentioned methoed was the number one way that his company obtained accounts, the second was from buyers who gave them account info, and the third was social engineering. (I could be wrong about those last two... correct me if I'm wrong.) He also stated that gold farmers almost NEVER try to hack the game company itself, as most of their networks are far too difficult to crack, and too closely monitored,  to warrant the time and effort. (Although ther are exceptions. *cough*Nexon*cough*)

In other words, if your acount gets hacked, there's a 99.99999999...% chance it's a PEBCAK error. Either you use the same account name and PW for far more things than you should, or you trusted someone with information they should not have been trusted with. While both of these are understandable,  you should still know better and should not be suprised when these bad security habbits come back to haunt you.

If you actually bought money from a gold farmer... well, don't expect any sympathy. You should know better.

Jean-Luc_Picard

Hard Core Member

3/18/13 5:43:22 AM#10

What fly666monkey said is what I also said in my list of things not to do...

NEVER use the same email and password than your game for any website or forum. And also try to avoid using the same password for different games.

Remember, some (actually, many) of those fan sites are run by amateurs, and your data is definitely not 100% secure there. And even here, on a rather big website, they have external employees (like those moderators) who have access to data like your email. It only takes one pissed or greedy employee selling account data for some extra cash to have your email given to people who should not have it.

I have a "trash" email address for that kind of sites. It also avoid having your main / game email spammed with advertisement and other crap.