Trending Games | World of Warcraft | Elder Scrolls Online | WildStar | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,738,044 Users Online:0
Games:714  Posts:6,176,945
ArenaNet | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 08/28/12)  | Pub:NCSoft
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$49.99 | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC Mac | Out of date info? Let us know!

Guild Wars 2 Forum » General Discussion » Despite everything that has been sead, can't we agree that GW2 is a success?

8 Pages First « 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Search
144 posts found
  User Deleted
1/12/13 6:19:54 PM#141
Originally posted by Eir_S
Originally posted by Skooma2
the middle zones are wastelands

That's odd, I've been on several servers in both WoW and GW2, and I've seen more people running around in "middle zones" in GW2 than I ever saw in WoW.  I always have people to do events with.

Anyway, yes, the game is a success.  I don't love everything about it, but its a little silly to claim it's a failure.  I don't like Rift, but I consider it a success too.

It is a per server basis however there has been a drop in the number of full all the time servers, and in those other servers even on high you won't see as many people unless of course its one of the RP designated servers (community chosen as RP).

I haven't seen anyone on my server in the mid level zones and I'm on Tarnished Coast the major RP server. There is definitely something wrong with the current design. People rarely go and free the temples in Orr anymore. And the few people i do find are all standing around doing RP stuff not the events.

I'm not saying this games a failure but their new direction certainly is.

Nixl

Novice Member

1/12/13 6:21:04 PM#142

This same debate occurred over TOR (and probably many other games). Although  GW2 and TOR are not the same, I can see that similar arguments are being used by both sides in this thread.  This is not a bad thing, but I never thought the hype train would end for GW2 (yes, I am biased against, sorry). 

Is financial success enough?  In my opinion, no

Why? A variety of reasons.  For one, even if a company makes a profit, it does not mean that the consumers in general are satisfied with the product.  Consumer satisfaction, of course, can come down to whether expectations were met.  Failed expectations for an MMO are most often a product of hype in my opinion. 

GW2 was/is hyped to be a next generation MMO and revolutionary.  The consensus that I see, however, is that the game is decent and with some nice features, but not revolutionary. 

Whether or not Anet made statements that GW2 was a WoW Killer or revolutionary is irrelevant to an extent, especially since such lines were spread verbatim on forums by fans.  Due to such fan furor, expectations were clearly set high, higher than what Anet could achieve.

This is not necessarily Anet's fault, but at the same time I do no remember the company doing much to dissuade such hype.  

While I can understand the side that wants to call GW2 a success based on sales alone, an issue arrises. 

If GW2 can be named a success due to sales, can we, therefore, call TOR a sucess?  And what of WAR?    Both games also enjoyed massive sales during their repsective launches.  I would argue that most users would say no. 

Like D3, GW2's long term sucess will probably be determined by the direction of its first expansion will take it. 

User Deleted
1/12/13 8:56:07 PM#143
Originally posted by dimnikar
Originally posted by bookworm438
Originally posted by dimnikar

Honestly, we won't know how successful it is until we see sales data on the first EXPANSION.

Mind you, Arenanet *never* released sales info on their expansions - only cumulative sales (gw1 + expansions together). In reality, we never knew if GW1 was successful either.

Something to think about.

Actually that's incorrect. As of now, GW1 is over 7 million accounts. They haven't really released actual account data each quarter like they use to back in 2008. Back in 2008 it was at about 6 million accounts. You can look at the NCSoft quarterly reports from back in 2008, as that is the last time they released this data. 

So it is a myth that the "7 million" is 7 million cumulative boxes. It's 7 million accounts. 

Financially, GW2 is a success. How do you define success? Did it turn a profit. And I'm guessing it did turn a profit, as last quarter was a very good quarter for NCSoft. 

I'm sorry, but you are wrong. Guild Wars 1 had trial accouns so accounts created means nothing (really weird you'd bring that up).

The pure facts are they never released expansion sales data so we never really knew how many bought into the expansions. In fact, the tracked numbers (by SKU counter firms out there) were under 10k for each expansion. Which could be wrong, but it sure doesn't look good.

The point was, if GW2 expansions tank they'll likely keep it quiet - AS THEY DID WITH GW1 (if that's the reason, but honestly, can there be another valid reason?)

Honestly, I've never understood why they didn't release those numbers. GW1 cummulatively sold very well, it would be VERY strange if the expansions only accounted for a small part of that.

If they keep releasing expansions and supporting the game, the expansions obviously didnt tank, herp derp.

vzerov

Novice Member

1/12/13 9:27:35 PM#144
It's definitly a success, Anet made this game for money, and they got shit load of money from it, goal achieved, a success by definnition obviousily.
8 Pages First « 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Search