Trending Games | The Crew | Landmark | Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor | WildStar

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,850,478 Users Online:0
Games:732  Posts:6,223,802
ArenaNet | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 08/28/12)  | Pub:NCSoft
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$49.99 | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC Mac | Out of date info? Let us know!

Guild Wars 2 Forum » General Discussion » Official forums are an utter nonsense

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 Search
72 posts found
  jpnz

Elite Member

1/07/13 6:21:55 AM#61

I find it hilarious that an ANet dev can use the 'F---'  to people on twitter and get no action done to him, but their forums are very heavy-handed. Although this is only sometimes and other times it is 'free-for-all'.

Curiously, the heavy handed approach is only when ANet wishes to keep something quiet; like this snowflake issue and the FOV issues. Oh and the FoTM issue as well.

Gdemami -
Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

Alot

Novice Member

Minister of Propaganda for GW2 Fascist-Capitalist Party

1/07/13 6:24:13 AM#62

Originally posted by jpnz
I find it hilarious that an ANet dev can use the 'F---'  to people on twitter and get no action done to him, but their forums are very heavy-handed sometimes.

Wut? When did this happen?

Wraithone

Hard Core Member

If you can't kill it, don't make it mad.

1/07/13 6:25:08 AM#63

I find it hilarious that an ANet dev can use the 'F---'  to people on twitter and get no action done to him, but their forums are very heavy-handed sometimes.

Thats simple. Its do as I say, not as I do... ^^  They have two (or more) sets of rules.  One internal, one external.  Thats hardly surprising, in the grand scheme of things.

jpnz

Elite Member

1/07/13 6:29:00 AM#64
Originally posted by Alot

It was when FOTM was first announced and one of the ANet dev's just lashed out.

He even stood 'firm' saying 'this is my private tweeter account!'. (There are cases to make a 'stand', this is NOT one of them. This is just facepalm material.)

Not sure if he apologized later as I unfollowed all ANet staff / company on twitter afterwards. It got ugly.

Gdemami -
Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

Vesavius

Old School

Players come for the game, but they stay for the people- Most Devs have forgotten this.

1/07/13 6:44:38 AM#65
Originally posted by Gorwe

I can't believe at the level of etiquette required to post there. It is Like you are at the PM(Prime Minister)'s House. Such nonsense-I am on the net to sound Like me and not Like some random drone.

Anyways, I called another member "nitwit". And that's like a serious offense. If I did there what I had done here, there would be police(ye olde Bill with that signal stripe on the hat :D) on my doorstep...

Sheeesh! Give me a break, will you?

So, you are complaining about not having the right to belittle others?

Oh boy...

fivoroth

Spotlight Poster

1/07/13 7:56:49 AM#66
Originally posted by Alot

It was when FOTM was first announced and one of the ANet dev's just lashed out.

He even stood 'firm' saying 'this is my private tweeter account!'. (There are cases to make a 'stand', this is NOT one of them. This is just facepalm material.)

Not sure if he apologized later as I unfollowed all ANet staff / company on twitter afterwards. It got ugly.

Haha, that ArenaNet guy is so naive. Every company I have worked for had very strict "guidelines" about using social media to comment on work related topics. It is usually something along the lines of "Don't ever assume that your comments reflect your personal opinion and that these comments have not impact on the company". If you ever have to comment something related to the company, never state your "own opinion" as it can/most likely will reflect badly on the company.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

lizardbones

Elite Member

I've become dependent upon spell check. My apologies for stupid grammatical errors.

1/07/13 8:02:57 AM#67

Originally posted by Vesavius

Originally posted by Gorwe I can't believe at the level of etiquette required to post there. It is Like you are at the PM(Prime Minister)'s House. Such nonsense-I am on the net to sound Like me and not Like some random drone. Anyways, I called another member "nitwit". And that's like a serious offense. If I did there what I had done here, there would be police(ye olde Bill with that signal stripe on the hat :D) on my doorstep... Sheeesh! Give me a break, will you?

Oh boy...

It is really strict. I don't necessarily disagree with their moderation, but it is a substantial difference from what people probably expect.

You can get a warning for posting a "thank you" response because it doesn't directly relate to talking about the game or game mechanics. Getting a warning for calling someone a nitwit probably isn't because it's an insult, it's because calling someone a name isn't discussing the game itself.

When they say that people get to discuss the game, and that's all, they really mean it.

For every large, complex problem, there is a simple, clear solution that also happens to be absolutely wrong.

botrytis

Elite Member

1/07/13 8:24:52 AM#68
Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by Vesavius

Originally posted by Gorwe I can't believe at the level of etiquette required to post there. It is Like you are at the PM(Prime Minister)'s House. Such nonsense-I am on the net to sound Like me and not Like some random drone. Anyways, I called another member "nitwit". And that's like a serious offense. If I did there what I had done here, there would be police(ye olde Bill with that signal stripe on the hat :D) on my doorstep... Sheeesh! Give me a break, will you?

Oh boy...

It is really strict. I don't necessarily disagree with their moderation, but it is a substantial difference from what people probably expect.

You can get a warning for posting a "thank you" response because it doesn't directly relate to talking about the game or game mechanics. Getting a warning for calling someone a nitwit probably isn't because it's an insult, it's because calling someone a name isn't discussing the game itself.

When they say that people get to discuss the game, and that's all, they really mean it.

They did say there would be strict adherance to the rules in the forum - people didn't take them serious? Look at how they policed GW1 - I got a 3 day ban for saying 'God Dammit' in Guild chat - then I understood they were totally serious. A.Net realizes there are many children playing the game, because it is B2P, and so they knew they would have to make it family friendly.

As far a twitter use, since I don't use it, people making a big deal about a one person going swearing - well it is a quick reaction type of post - I am sure he had to retract.

This is a non-issue to me.

"In 50 years, when I talk to my grandchildren about these days, I'll make sure to mention what an accomplished MMO player I was. They are going to be so proud ..."
by Naqaj - 7/17/2013 MMORPG.com forum

AzurePrower

Novice Member

Ahh yes, "Hypers." The people who praise and hate every MMORPG... We've dismissed that claim.

1/07/13 8:57:14 AM#69

Originally posted by Magnum2103
I do think this has to be one of the most overmoderated forums I've ever seen.  I got an infraction for not putting "In My Opinion" in a title.  They also editted my thread.  I was talking about how I felt the Arah Seer path could use a redesign because the dungeon takes at least 2-4 hours and the bosses are boring including one you could sit there and AFK autoattack.  Most ridiculous infraction I've ever received, of course it's my opinion that's why I post on forums I never stated anything as a fact.

Makes you appreciate these forums more and more.

+1. I second this motion. etc. etc.

This post would be infracted for being "off topic" on GW2 forums.

I find it amusing mods there infract people for posting "+1" or "I agree with you" posts and then suggest people click on the +1 button that does absolutely puppy all.

Gorwe

Elite Member

OP  1/08/13 6:24:48 AM#70
Update:

Just posted a thread called "What's with all the secrecy?"-asking why are they so silent/secretive and comparing current ANet ways to Mythic Warhammer ways. Also giving an advice to ANet.

Care to guess what happened?

Yes that's right! They deleted the thread that could be VERY important to them(customer satisfaction...).

I did not use any harsh or even mildly harsh language(well I did use waffle at the end ;)) and I even outlined the benefits of ETA and PTR-both which are missing from the game.

WTF is wrong with those forums?????
  Wraithone

Hard Core Member

If you can't kill it, don't make it mad.

1/08/13 9:07:18 AM#71
Originally posted by Gorwe
Update:

Just posted a thread called "What's with all the secrecy?"-asking why are they so silent/secretive and comparing current ANet ways to Mythic Warhammer ways. Also giving an advice to ANet.

Care to guess what happened?

Yes that's right! They deleted the thread that could be VERY important to them(customer satisfaction...).

I did not use any harsh or even mildly harsh language(well I did use waffle at the end ;)) and I even outlined the benefits of ETA and PTR-both which are missing from the game.

WTF is wrong with those forums?????

They are private forums.  They are run by people who have their own agendas, and the power to enforce them.  It doesn't matter if that is good, bad or indifferent for the company. All that matters at this point is their power to have things their own way.  

Good CM's handle things with more understanding.  Bad CM's are on a power trip.  But good, or bad, they are the ones with the power to make these decisions. 

Zoyita

Novice Member

1/08/13 12:43:09 PM#72
I never go to those forums , only to read the patch notes. Im always afraid that a single little thing i said they missunderstood and ban hammer. You get warn or ban for anything there, too sensible.
Zoyita Xfire Miniprofile
4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 Search