Trending Games | Marvel Heroes | Elder Scrolls Online | ArcheAge | Star Wars: The Old Republic

  Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,922,037 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,315,005
ArenaNet | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 08/28/12)  | Pub:NCSoft
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$49.99 | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC Mac | Out of date info? Let us know!

5 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 Search
93 posts found
  MrEvilDr

Novice Member

Joined: 12/10/05
Posts: 86

 
OP  1/03/13 6:25:45 AM#81
Originally posted by Scarfe
Originally posted by Kaleston
Originally posted by MrEvilDr

Levelling isn't what I'm interested in. I prefer competitive and challenging raid-type instances and a variety of skill sets to use. Guild Wars 1 did this perfectly in my opinion! I had a different set of skills for different occasions, with "Elite" skills I could unlock by completing certain objectives.

I still don't understand. Why people try games that they will not enjoy? I mean it's very known that there are not so many skills in gw2, raids are nonexistant there and it's more of a "journey is a goal" type of a game.

You have your opinion of course, I'm just puzzled why did you even pick this game if it's pretty much opposite of what you desire. It's kinda like I try to play Battlefield or CoD even though I don't like FPS and complain it's boring...

I think you can be forgiven for setting your expectations for a game on its predecessor; and GW1 was one of the best games around for the things he enjoyed.  GW2 one of the worst. 

Scarfe basically answered that for me. I was hoping it'd have some elements on GW1 within it, but it really didn't. Also, I tried the beta of GW2 and got to around level 20, so didn't really get a chance to see what it had to offer. 

Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy MMO's and they're one of my favourite types of games to play.. Just this one didn't add up to the high expectations I had and I felt I lost interest earlier than expected. I pre-ordered the game so didn't get much of a chance to read up on the end-game or skills system in-depth. I was generally looking forward to playing it too much!

  Navek

Apprentice Member

Joined: 1/06/06
Posts: 72

1/03/13 6:26:56 AM#82
Originally posted by MrEvilDr

I played this for a while with a couple of friends and got to about level 50, and got extremely bored. But that's just me, my attention span for MMOs is very low as I've played so many. Guild Wars was a different and welcomed change to the traditional MMO, but I don't think it deserves the number one spot in any way.

After 50 levels I'd unlocked all of the skills I was ever going to use in the game. From then on I was simply killing enemies with said skills. At the start, the idea of changing skills depending on what weapons you have equipped was awesome! But then I came to realise after playing the game that I'd be stuck with these same skills until the end-game, which caused me to just lose interest and give up on the game. I was quite glad about it really, after finding out that the game has no real end-game content to speak of, and many people found the just hit a brick wall. I tried WvWvW and loved it! But after a while it became a bit monotonous, much like the skill system.

Rerolling and trying new characters didn't appeal to me... I'd played the classes I was interested in and still got bored of that. Levelling isn't what I'm interested in. I prefer competitive and challenging raid-type instances and a variety of skill sets to use. Guild Wars 1 did this perfectly in my opinion! I had a different set of skills for different occasions, with "Elite" skills I could unlock by completing certain objectives.

I really don't feel I got my monies worth for this game having played only 25 hours. I started of fun, and got grindy (Which I thought is what were trying to prevent?) Why is it at the top spot on most websites?!

 I underlined the Important part, if what you state here truely is your preference , why buy GW2 ?

 5 mins research would have told you that the game wouldnt be to your tastes, but hey man I hope you get a refund and find something else you like, Blizzard do one along those lines WaW or WuW or something like that  :)

  MrEvilDr

Novice Member

Joined: 12/10/05
Posts: 86

 
OP  1/03/13 7:23:00 AM#83
Originally posted by Navek

 I underlined the Important part, if what you state here truely is your preference , why buy GW2 ?

 5 mins research would have told you that the game wouldnt be to your tastes, but hey man I hope you get a refund and find something else you like, Blizzard do one along those lines WaW or WuW or something like that  :)

Well I pre-ordered the game with a few friends initially as I'd been excited for the game for some time.. Hadn't heard anything about end-game content or skill sets until people started completing it which kind of put me off it really. Not going to ask for a refund in case something pops up that makes me want to play again. Who knows.. If I decide to download the 1.5GB or so of patches and try it again, I may start to enjoy it some more!

  Navek

Apprentice Member

Joined: 1/06/06
Posts: 72

1/03/13 7:28:21 AM#84
Originally posted by MrEvilDr
Originally posted by Navek

 I underlined the Important part, if what you state here truely is your preference , why buy GW2 ?

 5 mins research would have told you that the game wouldnt be to your tastes, but hey man I hope you get a refund and find something else you like, Blizzard do one along those lines WaW or WuW or something like that  :)

Well I pre-ordered the game with a few friends initially as I'd been excited for the game for some time.. Hadn't heard anything about end-game content or skill sets until people started completing it which kind of put me off it really. Not going to ask for a refund in case something pops up that makes me want to play again. Who knows.. If I decide to download the 1.5GB or so of patches and try it again, I may start to enjoy it some more!

 It is what it is, thats how I'm looking at it, work with the skillset I've got  and make the best of them, doing what I've always done in these games, farm mats, do the odd dungeon / fractal, or just generally abuse media studies students on vent ( they deserve it all of them ).

 Its not the be all and end all of games but I see little out there that draws me away just now, hope you get a game you enjoy.

  Rimmersman

Advanced Member

Joined: 10/15/12
Posts: 911

1/03/13 7:35:14 AM#85
Originally posted by slickbizzle
Originally posted by SuperDonk
Who says it's the number 1 MMO?

 

I'd like to know that as well. I thought Age of Wushu was the most popular MMO in the world at the moment.

 

 

Yeah 20,000,000 cant be wrong.

  Rimmersman

Advanced Member

Joined: 10/15/12
Posts: 911

1/03/13 7:37:44 AM#86
Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter
Originally posted by Nitth

 


Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

Originally posted by Nitth  

Originally posted by MrEvilDr I played this for a while with a couple of friends and got to about level 50, and got extremely bored. But that's just me, my attention span for MMOs is very low as I've played so many. Guild Wars was a different and welcomed change to the traditional MMO, but I don't think it deserves the number one spot in any way.   After 50 levels I'd unlocked all of the skills I was ever going to use in the game. From then on I was simply killing enemies with said skills. At the start, the idea of changing skills depending on what weapons you have equipped was awesome! But then I came to realise after playing the game that I'd be stuck with these same skills until the end-game, which caused me to just lose interest and give up on the game. I was quite glad about it really, after finding out that the game has no real end-game content to speak of, and many people found the just hit a brick wall. I tried WvWvW and loved it! But after a while it became a bit monotonous, much like the skill system. Rerolling and trying new characters didn't appeal to me... I'd played the classes I was interested in and still got bored of that. Levelling isn't what I'm interested in. I prefer competitive and challenging raid-type instances and a variety of skill sets to use. Guild Wars 1 did this perfectly in my opinion! I had a different set of skills for different occasions, with "Elite" skills I could unlock by completing certain objectives. I really don't feel I got my monies worth for this game having played only 25 hours. I started of fun, and got grindy (Which I thought is what were trying to prevent?) Why is it at the top spot on most websites?!
  News flash, Pirate 101 is the number 1 mmorpg.
Yeah Pirate 101 clearly is the choice of the MMORPG.com community and you can see it is widely discussed, its forums are vibrant and extremely visited.

 

Oh wait, no they aren't,

According to this website either the Pirate 101 community spends their time in other subforums or is just non existent and the fact it was the most voted was a combination of a) people that aren't part of this community registering to vote and b) people that would vote on anything to prevent GW2 from being the most voted, especially a harmless and ignred game as Pirates 101.


 

would you like a re-vote so you can campaign for more gw2 supporters to vote?

oh wait....

No, but actually someone could recruit 20 people from Pirate 101 to rate it 10/10 so it could actually have a rating and would show as the top rated released MMORPG instead of GW2 aswell.

Pirate 101 as the MMORPG of the year 2012 is a good visit card for this (part of) community. :)

Guess all the devs come and see

"Wow these players really want sandboxes and like to pay subs! Lets make one."

"Yeah, they also chose Pirate 101 has the best game."

"Ok, nvm".

 

Your game lost, get over it lol.

  RedJorge

Apprentice Member

Joined: 1/07/11
Posts: 106

Sheldon Cooper: Leonard, be serious. We're playing a game here. (Big Bang Theory)

1/03/13 7:40:42 AM#87

GW2 could be number 1 if a lot of wrong issues with the game are corrected by ArenaNet staff.

But ArenaNet staff is badly managed and all the resources are focused on making Guitar Hero events and Super Mario jumping puzzles. The game real issues are left behind and are hurting the game population.

GW2 will fall like a cards castle after the release of the next good MMO.

Leonard: Penny, you are on fire.
Penny: Yes, so is Sheldon.
[laughs]
Sheldon: Okay, that's it. I don't know how, but she is cheating. No-one can be that attractive and this skilled at a video game.
[walks away]
Penny: Wait, wait. Sheldon. Come back, you forgot something.
Sheldon: What?
Penny: This plasma grenade.
[explosion]
Penny: [laughs] Look! It's raining you.
Sheldon: You laugh now. You just wait until you need tech support. (Big Bang Theory)

  Lurkers

Novice Member

Joined: 10/02/12
Posts: 21

1/03/13 7:45:16 AM#88
LOL good one world of Warcraft  is number one mmo this is more of a jester mmo at best.
  nastyjman

Novice Member

Joined: 8/03/12
Posts: 163

1/03/13 10:25:06 AM#89

I have a level 80 and I enjoyed the journey to max level...

And then I rolled a Mesmer. The first 40 levels were dull, and I felt underpowered compared to my level 80 thief. But as soon as I reached 50, I was actually excited to level it up to 80. The Mesmer got better, and the 2nd tier trait offered reduced cooldowns on one of your weapons. My Mesmer now, in open world PvE, is a Shatterer donning a Staff. Even if I recycle the same skills, the fights are exciting: summon a clone in 5 second cooldown, throw down a condition AoE on top of the enemies, chaos orb, summon more clones, shatter, summon illusion, etc. etc.

It's true that there is no end-game, and the end-game starts immediately. Rushing to 80 will burn you out.

For the game being number 1 MMO? Purely subjective. For me, it is. For some, it's not.

  Volkon

Novice Member

Joined: 9/14/10
Posts: 3813

Facts do not require fiction for balance.

1/03/13 11:01:52 AM#90
Originally posted by nastyjman

I have a level 80 and I enjoyed the journey to max level...

And then I rolled a Mesmer. The first 40 levels were dull, and I felt underpowered compared to my level 80 thief. But as soon as I reached 50, I was actually excited to level it up to 80. The Mesmer got better, and the 2nd tier trait offered reduced cooldowns on one of your weapons. My Mesmer now, in open world PvE, is a Shatterer donning a Staff. Even if I recycle the same skills, the fights are exciting: summon a clone in 5 second cooldown, throw down a condition AoE on top of the enemies, chaos orb, summon more clones, shatter, summon illusion, etc. etc.

It's true that there is no end-game, and the end-game starts immediately. Rushing to 80 will burn you out.

For the game being number 1 MMO? Purely subjective. For me, it is. For some, it's not.

 

Keep an eye on the trait that creates a clone when you dodge. You can turn dodging into a weapon that way. I have a blast with it.

Oderint, dum metuant.

  WhiteLantern

Apprentice Member

Joined: 1/27/10
Posts: 2782

1/03/13 11:04:53 AM#91
Originally posted by SuperDonk
Who says it's the number 1 MMO?

/thread

 

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

  Kuppa

Novice Member

Joined: 9/24/10
Posts: 3443

The problem with censorship is ********

1/03/13 11:06:05 AM#92
Originally posted by bcbully
Originally posted by evolver1972

 

I have barely done anything in terms of growing my guild and of course there is all the new stuff that Anet has been throwing at us, including the holiday stuff.

 

New stuff like what? 

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Wintersday_2012

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Shadow_of_the_Mad_King

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/The_Lost_Shores

 

Just to name a few 


  Maggon

Novice Member

Joined: 3/14/06
Posts: 307

1/03/13 12:01:15 PM#93
I would believe that the most obvious answer would be that more people like this more than the rest on the list ?
5 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 Search