Trending Games | The Crew | Landmark | Elder Scrolls Online | Neverwinter

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,848,645 Users Online:0
Games:732  Posts:6,222,966
ArenaNet | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 08/28/12)  | Pub:NCSoft
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$49.99 | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC Mac | Out of date info? Let us know!

Guild Wars 2 Forum » General Discussion » Rediculous requirements of Password resets

7 posts found
  pantheron

Apprentice Member

OP  12/30/12 1:05:51 PM#1

I recently had an issue, where when i tried to log in (with  my password saved) i had a log in error. So i go to use my password. it is incorrect. its the only password i've used for GW2, but I go to  where i've had it written  down, and I use the password there. it is incorrect again. I go to reset my password, but my serial key is at my college several hundred miles away, since i left the box there. I contact customer support, thinking that it'll  be an easy reset. I was wrong.

first im asked to provide usual stuff, like my character name, my in game  username, and some other information. I give it to them. then they ask me for all the same information again, plus the day i bought the game within 3 days. i guess i got it wrong, because next they ask me to provide a copy of the reciept where I bought the game  from gamestop. I don't have that either, considering i stuck it in the game box. is there anything anybody else knows to do? I love the game, but, this is rediculous security for resetting a password. 

I play MMOs for the Forum PVP

Bebboh

Apprentice Member

12/30/12 1:10:44 PM#2
Pretty standard requirements to be honest. You wil have to wait until your back in college.
  tawess

Elite Member

12/30/12 1:19:26 PM#3
This is something i like with Blizzard. You just provide them with a scanned ID and they fix it.

Tomas Soapbox

This have been a good conversation

Amjoco

Elite Member

12/30/12 2:46:22 PM#4

These type of posts confuse me. Either folks are complaining about the lack of security, or in this case, too much. 

I understand the frustration OP, but it's better than your account being compromised, and then going through even more of a hassle.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

Torvaldr

Elite Member

12/30/12 2:55:18 PM#5

Odd you were asked for the key.  I reset the password on my wife's account and it just sent the reset to her email.  Password reset and all done.

My guess is that the IP triggered deeper security checks.  The game wants you to authorize your IP.  So when you do that and then play from a different IP range you must also okay that.  If you can't then it looks like someone from another area is trying to gain your account access, thus the more detailed questions.

I'm for better security and don't think the requirements are ridiculous at all.  I would be frustrated too, but it was your bad for mangling your password from a strange location.  Don't make that mistake again.

I think a mind wipe so people could play an mmo like it was their first time again, would be easier to build than a new mmo people here would actually like. - DamonVile

Nadia

Elite Member

12/30/12 2:56:50 PM#6
Originally posted by tawess
This is something i like with Blizzard. You just provide them with a scanned ID and they fix it.

my experience w Blizzard was different

Blizzard asked for me supply both my Game key *and* a scanned Photo ID

- which is worse than asking for only the game key

tawess

Elite Member

12/30/12 3:03:03 PM#7
Originally posted by Nadia
Originally posted by tawess

my experience w Blizzard was different

Blizzard asked for me supply both my Game key *and* a scanned Photo ID

- which is worse than asking for only the game key

Humm.. Might be different in different regions.. i have not had to do that in the last 4+ years when contacting support. I know you had to before and i agree that is really insane. But it was explained to me that the game was getting so old that it was a good chance people did not have their original codes and manuals left so they now just have you send in a ID scan.

Tomas Soapbox

This have been a good conversation