Trending Games | ArcheAge | Destiny | Guild Wars 2 | World of Warcraft

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,856,333 Users Online:0
Games:740  Posts:6,239,452
ArenaNet | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 08/28/12)  | Pub:NCSoft
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$49.99 | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC Mac | Out of date info? Let us know!

Guild Wars 2 Forum » General Discussion » Gold Wars 2 - Portrait of a campaign.

3 Pages « 1 2 3 » Search
44 posts found
  romanator0

Novice Member

12/23/12 1:20:23 PM#21
Originally posted by Eir_S
Is the sky STILL falling? 

Well Skyfall was still showing when I went to my local theater last night.

RedJorge

Apprentice Member

Sheldon Cooper: Leonard, be serious. We're playing a game here. (Big Bang Theory)

OP  12/23/12 1:22:29 PM#22

TIME is the only hard currency in MMO´s.

Who has time (kids, students, unemployed and retired people) farm the game and get everything they need without having to spend real cash.
Players with restricted time to play (professionaly active) compensate the less time in-game with items bought from the gem store.

So, basically, long hours players sell gold earned over time to get TP items + gems and time restricted players buy gems to get gold to get TP items and boosters.

Before the F2P model + gem shop was introduced en masse, the gold botting companies were making millions selling in-game gold for real cash to the time restricted players. Game companies quickly realized that they could sell themselves the in-game gold to the players, reducing the botters business and getting the millions botters used to get.

Thats why the F2P model + gem store was so enthusiasticaly embraced by most of MMO companies. The revenues are much higher compared to the old subscription model. Everyone is happy, people with time play for free and people with no time pay (legally) to compensate for their lack of time.

What ArenaNet did without telling their player base, was that they ninja reduced the loot drops around mid-November 2012. Basically, they hugely increased the time demand to get the same amount of gold in-game by farming events and mobs. The ones that got hit the most with this ninja nerf are the players that have time and play for free (usually the ones who bash this type of posts...ahahah, go figure!).
The players that have no time and buy gems to trade for gold are much better because they can get much more gold for the same amount of gems/real money they used to get.

What the ninja loot drop reduction achieved it is clear: motivates the normal gem buyers to buy even more gems to get more gold and harvests real money from the free-play player base that can not compensate with more farming time their gold needs.

The real point in this whole controversy is that ArenaNet never admited the ninja loot drop nerf and actually lied to their player base by telling that no loot drop reductions have been introduced by them (the only nerf they admited was the unidentified dyes drop reduction after they started to drop as candies, I have nothing against that).

As you can see at their official forums, hundreds of players complain since around 15th November 2012 about the shocking lack of drops. Posts have been merged into a huge thread (1 month, 1256 replies and 42763 views) that was closed yesterday. More threads can be found all around their forum. A lot of people complain that they can not even gear the low level characters properly anymore.

ArenaNet created another pinned thread asking from players their data about drops compared with pre-15th November values, like they do not have themselves the data.. :)

Even if all this is obvious to everyone, there will be always players bashing these alert posts...thats ok. BUT a lot of other players will open their eyes and will see the light.. :)

When the trust relationship between a company and its costumers is broken, very rarely can it be mended. Only time will tell...

Thank you and best regards.

P.S. - Once and for all please stop thinking about the gold-gem rate exchange as a true supply-demand model. It is not. The rate is tampered by ArenaNet at their will. Below is the proof:

Leonard: Penny, you are on fire.
Penny: Yes, so is Sheldon.
[laughs]
Sheldon: Okay, that's it. I don't know how, but she is cheating. No-one can be that attractive and this skilled at a video game.
[walks away]
Penny: Wait, wait. Sheldon. Come back, you forgot something.
Sheldon: What?
Penny: This plasma grenade.
[explosion]
Penny: [laughs] Look! It's raining you.
Sheldon: You laugh now. You just wait until you need tech support. (Big Bang Theory)

loki27

Novice Member

12/23/12 3:42:56 PM#23
Originally posted by RedJorge

(...) What ArenaNet did without telling their player base, was that they ninja reduced the loot drops around mid-November 2012. (...)

Since you're stating this as a fact, do you have a proof? Because no one I know in real life or in-game noticed anything except for the dyes. I'm certainly not saying ArenaNet is innocent, in fact their new-found love of RNG rewards is rather frustrating.

However, people will always complain about everything; they did when the game launched, they do now and they will in the future, just like with every other MMO. People will always say that because "out of 30 salvages they only got 4 ectos" etc. the loot must have changed; however that is what probability does, out of the millions players there are bound to be incredibly unlucky ones who say something is wrong. And maybe, just maybe, they're even right. But I'm not convinced.

(...) P.S. - Once and for all please stop thinking about the gold-gem rate exchange as a true supply-demand model. It is not. The rate is tampered by ArenaNet at their will. Below is the proof: (...)

What exactly am I supposed to see in that image? Except for the fact that the gem store didn't work and record data for a while, of course...?

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

saurus123

Hard Core Member

12/23/12 3:49:50 PM#24
Originally posted by loki27

(...) What ArenaNet did without telling their player base, was that they ninja reduced the loot drops around mid-November 2012. (...)

Since you're stating this as a fact, do you have a proof? Because no one I know in real life or in-game noticed anything except for the dyes. I'm certainly not saying ArenaNet is innocent, in fact their new-found love of RNG rewards is rather frustrating.

However, people will always complain about everything; they did when the game launched, they do now and they will in the future, just like with every other MMO. People will always say that because "out of 30 salvages they only got 4 ectos" etc. the loot must have changed; however that is what probability does, out of the millions players there are bound to be incredibly unlucky ones who say something is wrong. And maybe, just maybe, they're even right. But I'm not convinced.

(...) P.S. - Once and for all please stop thinking about the gold-gem rate exchange as a true supply-demand model. It is not. The rate is tampered by ArenaNet at their will. Below is the proof: (...)

What exactly am I supposed to see in that image? Except for the fact that the gem store didn't work and record data for a while, of course...?

i think that guy is mad about Plinx event that dont start every few mins now

Gaia_Hunter

Elite Member

12/23/12 3:59:07 PM#25

Interestingly the OP is trying to use the gold/gem exchange rate as evidence.

Turns out the evidence doesn't support his conclusion.

So now the gold/gem exchange rate in meaningless - that is alright.

But that means there is no hard evidence.

Currently playing: GW2
Cooperative (semi cooperative)board games you should check: Pandemic, Sentinels of the Multiverse, Eldritch Horror, Descent 2.0,Level 7 Omega Protocol, Last Night on Earth

RedJorge

Apprentice Member

Sheldon Cooper: Leonard, be serious. We're playing a game here. (Big Bang Theory)

OP  12/23/12 4:29:43 PM#26
Merry Christmas!

[laughs]
Sheldon: Okay, that's it. I don't know how, but she is cheating. No-one can be that attractive and this skilled at a video game.
[walks away]
[explosion]
Sheldon: You laugh now. You just wait until you need tech support. (Big Bang Theory)

elitero

Apprentice Member

12/23/12 5:08:46 PM#27
Well the handy tin foin wins once again lol.
  KingJiggly

Novice Member

Definition for innovation is below. Your welcome.

12/23/12 5:30:02 PM#28
Wait, so your assuming that everyone who was farming gold all of the sudden turned around and started to get gems? I know I didn't. Inflation naturally happens. As the market of gw2 began to get overinflated with stupid weapons, the cost of these items went down. This cuased people to farm more and more, to make up for the loss in price, and this simply cuased the market to inflae more and more. This made people buy less gems, which made gem prices go up due to lack of gems in the market. Your graph proves this, it is all part of economics. How o fix it? Well, wait for a crash in the market, people will quit selling stuff to the Black lion trading company and instead sell to merchants, then everything will go back up. It is exactly what happened in the great depression. Anet could bail out everyone, but that will only be a short term goal. The ninja nerf may be a) non existant, it is just everyone getting less money out of there items and having to farm more or b) they did nerf in an attempt to let the black lion trading company to clear out a little so as not to over-fill the market with useless items.... Like in runescape with bones. So many bones. 

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/innovation

VendettaDFA

Novice Member

12/23/12 5:40:25 PM#29

Sorry, but in this case I fail to see how gem to gold conversion charts support your claim all that well. Your other post had more validity to it once you looked past the melodrama. That brings me to another point. Two posts on basically the same subject tends to weaken your credibility. It reduces any constructive criticism you may have to the appearance of a rant.

The gem to gold charts are more likely influenced over that time by goldseller activites and not ANET.  The circled part in the second graph may have been nothing more than a glitch in the graph itself frankly. 

PaRoXiTiC

Hard Core Member

12/23/12 9:31:55 PM#30

Some of you pathetically over react.

I have Legendary Sunrise which is a greatsword so one of the most expensive ones. I have 4 characters all decked out in level 80 Exotics.

I only have  520  hours invested in the game and I have not spent a penny except the $60 on the box price. There are ways to make gold in the game. Hell when they came out with ascended it only took me 4 days to farm for the backpack. I made 62 gold in 4 days farming.

We just have a bunch of lazy mmo children these days. Its the same reason our real life economy is terrible, because we have a bunch of lazy people in their mid 20's that don't wanna do anything but get everything they want.

botrytis

Hard Core Member

12/23/12 9:42:30 PM#31

hmm - drops are nerfed...so why did I get 3 lvl 80 golds with my lvl 80 character while doing the Wintersday Instance? I guess that was due to the nerf.

Sounds like someone just wants to keep railing on GW2 and A.Net for no reason. The OP can't even read a graph and that is pathetic.

Please go complan about some other game now or should we start pointing and laughing at your tinfoil hat?

"In 50 years, when I talk to my grandchildren about these days, I'll make sure to mention what an accomplished MMO player I was. They are going to be so proud ..."
by Naqaj - 7/17/2013 MMORPG.com forum

Flex1

Advanced Member

“Give thanks for a little and you will find a lot.”The Hausa of Nigeria

12/23/12 10:06:11 PM#32

what drop nerf? has someone seen the drop tables before this supposed nerf and after?

Is this only stupid speculation on part of stupid whinning players that are in a unlucky streak of bad drops?

GrayGhost79

Novice Member

12/23/12 10:35:10 PM#33
Originally posted by Flex1

what drop nerf? has someone seen the drop tables before this supposed nerf and after?

Is this only stupid speculation on part of stupid whinning players that are in a unlucky streak of bad drops?

No lol, it's the same crud you found in FFXI when people thought the way you faced made a difference in crafting. Someone asked the developers durring a live Q&A and the developers busted out laughing. Player A thinks they found out how "Random" really works (In this case "OMG THE DEVS NINJA NERFED DROP RATES") and makes a thread about it (Good or bad) and suddenly others notice the same thing (Hey you're right, when I wear a blue shirt while crafting I get better results!) and suddenly it becomes a snowball. People come out of the wood works noticing the same thing. 

The fact of the matter is "Random" can work for and against your favor. They may need to tweak the paramaters if some really are getting affected as much as they claim (While I haven't noticed any ninja loot drop nerf nor has anyone I know that plays lol, I can't say it's impossible that a bug may be affecting some players). 

xmenty

Advanced Member

12/24/12 2:17:35 AM#34

I have been watching the gem store, as I wanted to buy more gem using my gold.

This is just my opinion, the gem price soar 2 weeks before the Helloween event.

The chest items loot drop, make a lot of people piss off.

Then after that comes the Ascended debacle.

I got the feeling that a lot of Anet fanbois just dump the game.

Not many people buying gems with cash and sell it for gold anymore after the Ascended patch,

it seems to me that everyone just stop supporting Anet gem CS.

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

Gaia_Hunter

Elite Member

12/24/12 6:20:47 AM#35
Originally posted by GrayGhost79
Originally posted by Flex1

No lol, it's the same crud you found in FFXI when people thought the way you faced made a difference in crafting. Someone asked the developers durring a live Q&A and the developers busted out laughing. Player A thinks they found out how "Random" really works (In this case "OMG THE DEVS NINJA NERFED DROP RATES") and makes a thread about it (Good or bad) and suddenly others notice the same thing (Hey you're right, when I wear a blue shirt while crafting I get better results!) and suddenly it becomes a snowball. People come out of the wood works noticing the same thing. 

The fact of the matter is "Random" can work for and against your favor. They may need to tweak the paramaters if some really are getting affected as much as they claim (While I haven't noticed any ninja loot drop nerf nor has anyone I know that plays lol, I can't say it's impossible that a bug may be affecting some players). 

Well random in PCs isn't completely random.

For example, certain engines say you have 20% to trigger something with a skill and has you use the skill and faill to trigger your % increases until it triggers so your next strike after a miss is more likely to trigger.

So it is possible parameters are adjusted making the game generate the same amount of rare and exotic items but let them be spread out for more players.

Anyway, that minor thing aside, there is no facts or data presented to support the claim.

Cooperative (semi cooperative)board games you should check: Pandemic, Sentinels of the Multiverse, Eldritch Horror, Descent 2.0,Level 7 Omega Protocol, Last Night on Earth

dlld

Advanced Member

12/24/12 7:43:51 AM#36
I used to get, almost without fail 1-3 rares per "farm event" (plixx and defend tunnels) in orr for weeks with MF gear, it took me about a week before i saw another rare drop after the alledged drop rate nerf, take it for what you will.
  JoeyMMO

Advanced Member

To busy playing GW2 to post much around here... *shrug*

12/24/12 9:23:52 AM#37

It starts all nice and believable, but players can't even gear low level characters due to huge loot drop nerf? WTH is that supposed to mean? I have 10 toons, several of them are low level characters and I have no trouble equipping them and still earning more then enough to drop my spare gold into the bank.

Whatever it is you're going on about, it has little to do with anything that's goin on in the game.

What you're seeing with gem prices is people earning gold faster and the value of gold to buy gems is dropping. That's it, no conspiracies necessary.

eldaris

Advanced Member

12/24/12 3:43:43 PM#38

Originally posted by PaRoXiTiC

We just have a bunch of lazy mmo children these days. Its the same reason our real life economy is terrible, because we have a bunch of lazy people in their mid 20's that don't wanna do anything but get everything they want.

Actually the economy is so bad because companies got used to cheating and buying people in government to avoid any consequence of their actions.Of course arena net didn't even had to buy anyone,they can change the rules and the drop rates when they want to force people to buy gems.The good thing is that with so many mmos out there, players are free to find a better one ,with a world not a series of zones(instances) linked by loading screens and even if you have to pay for a subscription is better than to pay money to a company like ncsoft/arena.net.

Gaia_Hunter

Elite Member

12/24/12 4:19:14 PM#39
Originally posted by eldaris

Originally posted by PaRoXiTiC

Actually the economy is so bad because companies got used to cheating and buying people in government to avoid any consequence of their actions.Of course arena net didn't even had to buy anyone,they can change the rules and the drop rates when they want to force people to buy gems.The good thing is that with so many mmos out there, players are free to find a better one ,with a world not a series of zones(instances) linked by loading screens and even if you have to pay for a subscription is better than to pay money to a company like ncsoft/arena.net.

If only those worlds were as interesting as a single zone (instanced but persistente) and if it was actually that hard to fully deck characters in rare and exotic items in GW2...

And the economy is so bad because people think that creating money out of thin air actually makes the world richer and that a group of people know how to manage the money of the world better than those that work for it.

RedJorge

Apprentice Member

OP  5/14/13 1:54:38 AM#40

Hello all,

As predicted 5 months ago, the poorly managed GW2 is on a steep dive and will not take longer until it bites the dust.

The last NCSoft quarterly report is evident: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-05-13-ncsoft-profits-up-yoy-but-down-on-last-quarter

Its a pitty but greed just pushed away a huge chunk of the player base.

Hope NCSoft learns the lesson and runs the next game better.

Thank you and best regards,

RJ

[laughs]
[walks away]
[explosion]

3 Pages « 1 2 3 » Search