Trending Games | War Thunder | Elder Scrolls Online | World of Warcraft | Guild Wars 2

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,905,703 Users Online:0
Games:757  Posts:6,296,097
ArenaNet | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 08/28/12)  | Pub:NCSoft
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$49.99 | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC Mac | Out of date info? Let us know!

Guild Wars 2 Forum » General Discussion » The near future of GW2 blog post

2 Pages 1 2 » Search
31 posts found
  QSatu

Advanced Member

OP  11/21/12 4:48:57 PM#1

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/chris-whiteside-on-the-lost-shores-and-beyond/

please don't bother whining about ascended gear here. You have other threads about that.

For me the best part is: Revamping all of our existing dungeons (Story and Explorable versions) through rebalance and overhauled encounters.

Fixing and improving existing content throughout the game, and better tying it into the overall sense of player progression within Guild Wars 2.

Adding new Guild content and Guild progression features.

I only hope they have some good ideas for that. If they plan to change current dungeons to be a little more like fractals I will be very happy.

xpiher

Advanced Member

11/21/12 4:59:31 PM#2
Originally posted by QSatu

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/chris-whiteside-on-the-lost-shores-and-beyond/

please don't bother whining about ascended gear here. You have other threads about that.

For me the best part is: Revamping all of our existing dungeons (Story and Explorable versions) through rebalance and overhauled encounters.

Fixing and improving existing content throughout the game, and better tying it into the overall sense of player progression within Guild Wars 2.

I only hope they have some good ideas for that. If they plan to change current dungeons to be a little more like fractals I will be very happy.

The only thing they need to do to current dungeons to make them more like fractals is make bosses killable by gimmick mechanics. Thats not a bad thing, it makes it more involved than tank and spank, but its still gimmicky. Can you honestly say that after the first time you figured out how to do each fractal that you were impressed after completeing it again.

I made a post in here stating that i thought the design was decent, but after giving it more thought I came to the conculsion that the mechanics behind each boss was entirely TOO EASY. So easy in fact that as soon as we walked into the Ice boss in the dredge fractal everyone was like ... use the big buckets to kill him, when we did the moss man fractal as soon as I figured out the whisp were on a timer it was "ha figured it out." Honestly, if ANET wants to keep impressing people they need to make these gimmicks not only harder to figure out, but harder to execute. 

Games:
Currently playing:Nothing
Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
Past games:
Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
Xpiher's GW2
GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
Warhammer - Xpiher

InFlamestwo

Apprentice Member

11/21/12 6:44:32 PM#3
Originally posted by xpiher
Originally posted by QSatu

The only thing they need to do to current dungeons to make them more like fractals is make bosses killable by gimmick mechanics. Thats not a bad thing, it makes it more involved than tank and spank, but its still gimmicky. Can you honestly say that after the first time you figured out how to do each fractal that you were impressed after completeing it again.

I made a post in here stating that i thought the design was decent, but after giving it more thought I came to the conculsion that the mechanics behind each boss was entirely TOO EASY. So easy in fact that as soon as we walked into the Ice boss in the dredge fractal everyone was like ... use the big buckets to kill him, when we did the moss man fractal as soon as I figured out the whisp were on a timer it was "ha figured it out." Honestly, if ANET wants to keep impressing people they need to make these gimmicks not only harder to figure out, but harder to execute. 

That's why it get harder the further you progress...how far in have you got? some dudes got to fractal 20 today and it's pretty hard.

observer

Hard Core Member

First came pride, then envy.

11/21/12 8:48:49 PM#4

Fractal 20? That seems insane.  I only got up to Fractal 2 with a pug. haha.

And the new revamp of dungeons sounds really nice.

rdrakken

Apprentice Member

11/21/12 8:53:47 PM#5

Can you honestly say that after the first time you figured out how to do each fractal that you were impressed after completeing it again.

Can you honestly say that after the first time you beat any dungeon in any game that you were impressed after completeing it again? Its rare...

dgarbini

Novice Member

11/21/12 8:56:48 PM#6

What I take from the post, it is purposefully vauge, and of couse no time line.  Honstly its shapping up more and more like every other MMO out there.  I hate to say it but I will believe it when I see it.

Notice they still are not addressing their fundemental bugs/issues that have been in game since day one.

User Deleted
11/21/12 9:18:27 PM#7
Originally posted by rdrakken

Can you honestly say that after the first time you figured out how to do each fractal that you were impressed after completeing it again.

Can you honestly say that after the first time you beat any dungeon in any game that you were impressed after completeing it again? Its rare...

Only encounter I can think of is the Varsoon fight for TSO in EQ2. That remained a challenge until the level cap was increased. Crazy good fight which required incredible teamwork.

User Deleted
11/21/12 9:22:38 PM#8
Originally posted by dgarbini

What I take from the post, it is purposefully vauge, and of couse no time line.  Honstly its shapping up more and more like every other MMO out there.  I hate to say it but I will believe it when I see it.

Notice they still are not addressing their fundemental bugs/issues that have been in game since day one.

Its like you didnt even read the article.

Also considering the rate of content delivery I think you could give them the benefit of the doubt until they prove otherwise.

dgarbini

Novice Member

11/21/12 10:43:20 PM#9
Originally posted by evilastro
Originally posted by dgarbini

Its like you didnt even read the article.

Also considering the rate of content delivery I think you could give them the benefit of the doubt until they prove otherwise.

There has not been a single addition to the game since launch that I have enjoyed....clear enough?  So no, not really confident or looking forward to anything at this point.

jpnz

Novice Member

11/21/12 11:29:01 PM#10

What really surprizes me is that he doesn't address the sudden change in philosophy of GW2 compared to GW1.

GW1 was all about inclusion and leveling the playing field.

GW2 is all about exclusions (through gear or one time event).

I seriously doubt the 'design manifesto for GW2' will ever be mentioned again.

Gdemami -
Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

Torvaldr

Elite Member

11/21/12 11:35:11 PM#11
Originally posted by jpnz

What really surprizes me is that he doesn't address the sudden change in philosophy of GW2 compared to GW1.

GW1 was all about inclusion and leveling the playing field.

GW2 is all about exclusions (through gear or one time event).

I seriously doubt the 'design manifesto for GW2' will ever be mentioned again.

One off events are all over GW1.  The stuff isn't really hard to get, but you have to be at each festival / holiday event or you can't some of the stuff.

I also don't think GW2 is all about exclusion either.  I don't mind that they broke with their older progression philosophy as long as they don't do gear treadmill.  That won't interest me at all.

Curse you AquaScum!

jpnz

Novice Member

11/21/12 11:40:46 PM#12
Originally posted by Torvaldr

One off events are all over GW1.  The stuff isn't really hard to get, but you have to be at each festival / holiday event or you can't some of the stuff.

I also don't think GW2 is all about exclusion either.  I don't mind that they broke with their older progression philosophy as long as they don't do gear treadmill.  That won't interest me at all.

I don't remember events that were one-off in GW1 although I do recall one-day events.

Technically the gear-grind is in place now. Whether it is +5 stats or you need it or not is irrelevent.

There is gear that is better.

Gdemami -
Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

xpiher

Advanced Member

11/22/12 12:28:43 AM#13

Originally posted by InFlamestwo

Originally posted by QSatu https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/chris-whiteside-on-the-lost-shores-and-beyond/   please don't bother whining about ascended gear here. You have other threads about that. For me the best part is: Revamping all of our existing dungeons (Story and Explorable versions) through rebalance and overhauled encounters. Fixing and improving existing content throughout the game, and better tying it into the overall sense of player progression within Guild Wars 2. Adding new Guild content and Guild progression features.   I only hope they have some good ideas for that. If they plan to change current dungeons to be a little more like fractals I will be very happy.  
The only thing they need to do to current dungeons to make them more like fractals is make bosses killable by gimmick mechanics. Thats not a bad thing, it makes it more involved than tank and spank, but its still gimmicky. Can you honestly say that after the first time you figured out how to do each fractal that you were impressed after completeing it again. I made a post in here stating that i thought the design was decent, but after giving it more thought I came to the conculsion that the mechanics behind each boss was entirely TOO EASY. So easy in fact that as soon as we walked into the Ice boss in the dredge fractal everyone was like ... use the big buckets to kill him, when we did the moss man fractal as soon as I figured out the whisp were on a timer it was "ha figured it out." Honestly, if ANET wants to keep impressing people they need to make these gimmicks not only harder to figure out, but harder to execute. 
That's why it get harder the further you progress...how far in have you got? some dudes got to fractal 20 today and it's pretty hard.
I'm sorry, but increasing HP, mob spawns, and make you take damage the entire time isn't making it harder. It simply making it take more time. The mechanics of the dungeon don't change. 

Games:
Currently playing:Nothing
Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
Past games:
Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
Xpiher's GW2
GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
Warhammer - Xpiher

Ecoces

Elite Member

11/22/12 12:34:04 AM#14

Guild Content and Guild Progression ... aka Raids?!?!

jpnz

Novice Member

11/22/12 12:34:58 AM#15
Originally posted by Ecoces

Well, they introduced a gear gap so I guess that's the logical next step?

Welcome to GW2!

Gdemami -

evolver1972

Novice Member

What is "real"? How do you define "real"?

11/22/12 12:37:51 AM#16

I don't remember events that were one-off in GW1 although I do recall one-day events.

Technically the gear-grind is in place now. Whether it is +5 stats or you need it or not is irrelevent.

Every single holiday event in GW1 is a one off.  You can't get the special items for that particular holiday if you don't attend it.

I missed the "big finale" of this past event, and was a little disappointed, but since I doubt it will be the last time they do it, I'm not that upset about it.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

evolver1972

Novice Member

What is "real"? How do you define "real"?

11/22/12 12:39:24 AM#17
Originally posted by Ecoces

Well, they introduced a gear gap so I guess that's the logical next step?

Welcome to GW2!

Funny how you said that in another post directly related to Ascended gear, which by the way, the OP here specifically asked us not to talk about on this thread.

You were just as wrong on that post as you are here.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

KhinRunite

Novice Member

11/22/12 12:46:37 AM#18

I'm 80 now, has been for a week, but I've been wearing Blues and Greens. I'm working towards Rare, and maybe eventually exotic. I'm basically on a gear grind, my friend. "There is gear that is better" applies to the game, with or without ascended.

EDIT; Sorry I had to edit. OP didn't want us talking about Ascended here.

jpnz

Novice Member

11/22/12 12:48:49 AM#19
Originally posted by KhinRunite

Heh, all this commotion because Ascended item wasn't present during launch. Some unflexible lot if you ask me.

I'm 80 now, has been for a week, but I've been wearing Blues and Greens. I'm working towards Rare, and maybe eventually exotic. I'm basically on a gear grind, my friend. "There is gear that is better" applies to the game, with or without ascended.

So what's in place now that hasn't been there?

Some people don't like it when they are lied to.

I'm pretty okay with the gear grind as I've played other MMOs so w/e.

That doesn't mean I don't understand why people get upset if they are lied to.

Gdemami -

Neo_Liberty

Novice Member

11/22/12 12:53:03 AM#20
Originally posted by KhinRunite

Heh, all this commotion because Ascended item wasn't present during launch. Some unflexible lot if you ask me.

So what's in place now that hasn't been there?

Some people don't like it when they are lied to.

I'm pretty okay with the gear grind as I've played other MMOs so w/e.

That doesn't mean I don't understand why people get upset if they are lied to.

even if that is the sole reason.. it's a pointless reason.. either u like the game or u don't.. if u don't like it don't play it... not to mention there is no one in existence who has never lied.... get over it.

2 Pages 1 2 » Search