Trending Games | EverQuest Next | Guild Wars 2 | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn | World of Warcraft

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,920,749 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,312,454
ArenaNet | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 08/28/12)  | Pub:NCSoft
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$49.99 | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC Mac | Out of date info? Let us know!

Guild Wars 2 Forum » General Discussion » Am I missing something about the ascended gear hysteria?

7 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Search
130 posts found
  Raekon

Novice Member

11/21/12 4:47:32 AM#121
Originally posted by chaintm

4 STEPS

Fine

MasterWorks

Rare

Exotics / Legendary Skins (same stats of exotics)

Is now...

6 STEPS

Fine

MasterWorks

Rare

Exotics

Ascended

Legendary (with new stats to be added)

That's the issue. Legenday where never stat'd higher then exotics and these stats do effect your base stats and in WvWvW. If they didn't no one would care.

Maybe you should rather rely on reading the ANet articles instead of relying on random opinions of people that are out on a "witch hunt" only so they can spread negativity upon a feature or gear that isn't even in the game yet.

Most of all since all these people ending up biting on their own butt after they found out how wrong they were, trying themselves on "damage control" saying that "X company" read their posts and didn't added a vertical gear progression only because they got "afraid" that their postings "exposed" said company.

Laughable to think that a company would change all the coding that has been done for months if not years so exact these guys can be right, but I guess you understand me.

With other words: Ascended = Legendary when it comes to the stats.

Nailzzz

Novice Member

11/21/12 5:27:08 AM#122

If i was a cynical man, i would be concerned that more effort may be used to make the exotic gear have all the aesthetic quality while using sub par skins on ascended items to force peope to either choose between aesthetics or stats, or put them in the position of having to buy transmutation stones from the item shop to get a max stat item that looks apealing.

That does seem to be one possible reason for the item tier change. But that is possibly just my tin foil hat talking again.

Volkon

Novice Member

Facts do not require fiction for balance.

11/21/12 7:15:24 AM#123
Originally posted by Nailzzz

If i was a cynical man, i would be concerned that more effort may be used to make the exotic gear have all the aesthetic quality while using sub par skins on ascended items to force peope to either choose between aesthetics or stats, or put them in the position of having to buy transmutation stones from the item shop to get a max stat item that looks apealing.

That does seem to be one possible reason for the item tier change. But that is possibly just my tin foil hat talking again.

Probably the tin foil hat when you consider how many fine t-stones people have already received simply by playing the game. I know I have about 15 left, and that's with spending most of my time lately in WvW.

Oderint, dum metuant.

Raekon

Novice Member

11/21/12 7:37:03 AM#124
Originally posted by Nailzzz

That's actually not even needed since the difference between them is already there through the upgrade/infusion stones.

With Exotic gears you are more flexible on combinations through the stones so even the ascended will have slightly better stats on 3 types of stats, you can boost 6 different stats on a piece of a exotic (3 from the piece and another 3 through the stone).

As example:

- Ascended gear with stats on: vitality, condition damage, critical damage + infusion stone with a defensive ability vs Agony

- Exotic gear with stats on: vitality, condition damage, critical damage + upgrade stone with healing, toughness, power

So with Exotic you have lower stats on 3 attributes but for that you can boost another 3.

For that, the Ascended can be used against certain types of enemies that other types of armor are not as good against (Agony damage reduction through Ascended gear) and has slightly higher stats on 3 attributes.

So people that don't wanna go after Ascended gear, can still be relevant in most areas of the game and if played wisely by avoiding direct contact with the Agony based enemies, they could also survive against them.

Always better to wait and see before we judge too early in my opinion.

Gaia_Hunter

Hard Core Member

11/21/12 9:16:41 AM#125

Of course "Mr.Player" that has limited time but spare money and is willing to support te game could secide that instead of spending a few dozens hours gearing, he would instead buy some gems and buy the items he wanted, being sure he would only have to do that once.

Now "Mr.Player" might think "why should I spend money gearing up if next month the gear I just bought will be second tier?".

I doubt Arenanet will achieve what they were aiming for and might as well just backfire.

You know how when governments increase taxes to collect more money and they end up with less because people (middle class/working class) react by spending less (or the very rich people just move the money somewhere else)?

Currently playing: GW2
Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, King of Tokyo

VeryDusty

Apprentice Member

11/21/12 9:45:10 AM#126
Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

Of course "Mr.Player" that has limited time but spare money and is willing to support te game could secide that instead of spending a few dozens hours gearing, he would instead buy some gems and buy the items he wanted, being sure he would only have to do that once.

Now "Mr.Player" might think "why should I spend money gearing up if next month the gear I just bought will be second tier?".

I doubt Arenanet will achieve what they were aiming for and might as well just backfire.

You know how when governments increase taxes to collect more money and they end up with less because people (middle class/working class) react by spending less (or the very rich people just move the money somewhere else)?

The problem with your tax example is that is not the truth. Based on studies, when taxes are increased our economy does better and when we decrease taxes out economy falters - study done by the non-partisan Tax Foundation. If what you say is the truth, why in the 1950's did our economy blossom so well with the highest tax rate effectively 90% (for people making $250,000 and up).

It is a wait and see as the game has only been out since the end of August. 

I for one, would like more lvl 80 and also more lower level content. They just may do that with the expansions, like they did in GW1. Also, the lst Rift expansion did nothing for the lower level characters only for the high levels and that is dissappointing to say the least.

evolver1972

Novice Member

What is "real"? How do you define "real"?

11/21/12 9:59:32 AM#127
Originally posted by Homitu
Originally posted by evolver1972
Does anyone here have Ascended and Infused items yet?  If so, please post how much "grinding" you had to do to get it.  Please also post if the item(s), or the materials needed to make them, dropped while you were playing the earlier stages of the Fractals or if you had to grind it out in certain areas of the game.  I think that would be very good info to have.

http://dulfy.net/2012/11/17/gw2-ascended-gear-and-infusion-recipes/

That link did absolutely nothing to answer my questions.  Please reread my post.

That post explains exactly how to obtain all of the current ascended gear and infusions.  It's up to you to determine whether or not earning each individual component (which was all detailed in the link) is grindy.  Please reread the link.  

Did you read my post?  I asked how much "grinding" you needed to to and how the stuff was acquired, whether through grinding or through playing the fractals.  That link didn't tell me any more than the wiki does.  Yes it tells me the recipes, but it never says anything about the time and effort needed to get the stuff.

That's where the "how much grinding" part comes in.

I'm not asking for subjective opinions on if it was a grind.  I'm asking how much time (objective) and how much effort (how many things did you have to kill or gather or how many times did you have to run a dungeon) it took to get these things.  I realize the numbers would be rough estimates and would vary from person to person, but that info would go a long way toward helping people determine if it is grindy or not.

I also wasn't asking for myself specifically.  I was asking so that we could all debate what was too much time/effort to get equipment.  I intend to get Ascended gear at some point anyway and eventually Legendaries so I already think it would probably be worth it.  The difference between myself and others is that I don't mind doing things slowly.

Dude, I clearly read your post.  No need to get sassy when all I was trying to do was offer a link that answered your question.  Apparently the disconnect between us lies in how we define "grindy."  There is no objective way to measure a grind.  It's 100% a subjective experience.  Grind is the point at which you repeat a singular activity so much that it becomes boring, begins to feel like work, or is no longer fun.  When you reach that point is entirely based on you.  If your question is about how grindy it will feel to obtain the current ascention items, seriously, nobody can answer that but you.

If, on the other hand, you're asking how long it takes to obtain the components necessary to craft the infusions or the back pieces, once again, look at the materials.  50 ectos.  How long does it take you to acquire 50 ectos?   50 ectos cost about 12 gold.  How long does it take you to acquire 12g?  40 crystals or 240 philosopher stones.  Either requires 24 skill points.  How long does it take you to acquire 24 skill points?  250 bones/scales/blood/etc.  These can cost up to 60g.  How long does it take you to acquire 60g?  Everything that gets funneled through the mystic forge is all a function of gold.    

I mean come on.  Are you seriously asking people in this thread how long it takes US to accumulate 72 gold?  If so, why not just say that?  

Are you asking how frequently vials of condensed mists essences drop in FotM or how long it takes to complete one run of the dungeon (which can then be used to calculate how long it will take to get the 500 tokens needed to buy the gift of ascension)?  If so, why not just say that?

Sorry I didn't word it to your liking.  I asked the question that way because I don't know yet how long it takes to get 50 ectos or anything else you mentioned there.  I'm not that far along in the game yet.

And yes, I'm asking how long it takes YOU (the collective you) to get Ascended gear.  And how much effort you have to put into it.  I thought that was pretty clear.

So, what I'm asking is:  how long does it take and how much effort (killing things) does it take to get the Ascended and/or infused items you have?  How long, and how much effort did you expend getting the mats to make Koss on Koss?  How many times did you have to do the Solid Ocean Fractal to get Adelbern's Royal Signet Ring?

Those are the things I'm asking because I think it would be good info to have for the discussion we are having.  Apparently either no one has gotten any of that stuff here on these boards (which is what I specifically stated earlier), or no one wants to answer the question.  Again, I'm only looking for rough estimates but I think those numbers would go a long way toward helping us all decide if it's truly a grind or not.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

Gaia_Hunter

Hard Core Member

11/21/12 10:46:01 AM#128
Originally posted by VeryDusty
Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

The problem with your tax example is that is not the truth. Based on studies, when taxes are increased our economy does better and when we decrease taxes out economy falters - study done by the non-partisan Tax Foundation. If what you say is the truth, why in the 1950's did our economy blossom so well with the highest tax rate effectively 90% (for people making $250,000 and up).

It is a wait and see as the game has only been out since the end of August. 

I for one, would like more lvl 80 and also more lower level content. They just may do that with the expansions, like they did in GW1. Also, the lst Rift expansion did nothing for the lower level characters only for the high levels and that is dissappointing to say the least.

I'm going to bet you something.

After this recession we will have a huge growth.

After a world war where life conditions tanked doens't seem that incredible to have an economic boost.

or if you want to look at recent examples look how in portugal, the increase of VAT means less tax income.

Currently playing: GW2
Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, King of Tokyo

Scarlyng

Novice Member

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. -- Mark Twain

11/21/12 1:52:12 PM#129

Sorry I didn't word it to your liking.  I asked the question that way because I don't know yet how long it takes to get 50 ectos or anything else you mentioned there.  I'm not that far along in the game yet.

And yes, I'm asking how long it takes YOU (the collective you) to get Ascended gear.  And how much effort you have to put into it.  I thought that was pretty clear.

So, what I'm asking is:  how long does it take and how much effort (killing things) does it take to get the Ascended and/or infused items you have?  How long, and how much effort did you expend getting the mats to make Koss on Koss?  How many times did you have to do the Solid Ocean Fractal to get Adelbern's Royal Signet Ring?

Those are the things I'm asking because I think it would be good info to have for the discussion we are having.  Apparently either no one has gotten any of that stuff here on these boards (which is what I specifically stated earlier), or no one wants to answer the question.  Again, I'm only looking for rough estimates but I think those numbers would go a long way toward helping us all decide if it's truly a grind or not.

I can offer a partial answer.  Asof Monday, I saw three different Ascended Gear pieces linked in LA chat on my server (Henge of Denravi).  This is, of course, just 3-4 days after the dungeon premiered.  However, those people may have already had a lot of the mats and/or gold to buy them.

As to farming gold.  I've been sort of half-heartedly farming Orr for about 5-6 weeks, and have 63 gold sitting in bank.  This was mostly through farming mats and selling them on the TP.  I have not been using MF gear, food or boosts, nor have I done event chains religiously, although I mostly do jump in on events that I run across.  Yesterday, in my very inefficient way, I went through Malchor's Leap and Cursed Shore and gathered/evented.  I made about 2 gold in 2.5 hours (including sales of mats, drops and event rewards).  I've seen better returns noted, on the order of 2G/hour, reported on the GW2 forums.

A final note, the prices of some Tier 5 mats (and even some tier 6) have been trending down lately. The buy price for Orichalcum was under 2 silver, 75 copper per piece yesterday, whereas it was about 3,50 5 weeks ago.  The buy price for Elder Wood was 12 copper per, down from a high in my experience over 30.

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw

IPolygon

Novice Member

11/22/12 6:36:58 AM#130

@Ipolygon

I'm not going to get into the whole gear grind debate (I don't think it's grindy by any stretch of the imagination, and I did think the game needed more progression motivation.)  What I want to correct is your misuse of percentages.  If every single item increases in power by 8% (it's actually about 8.8%, so closer to 9%), then your total stat increase from gear increases by...8%.  If, on the other hand, you earned only 1 item upgrade that increased the stats from that slot by 8%, and that slot represents about 1/10 of your character's entire stats from gear, then that upgrade will result in a total stat increase from gear of 0.8%.  

Right, thanks. What is the increase in power when another stat is added? For example your items have two attributes at first, then a third is added. Since infusions hold at least 1 attribute affecting your character (besides agony resistance, http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Infusion).
7 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Search