Trending Games | The Crew | Elder Scrolls Online | Lichdom: Battlemage | Landmark

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,847,082 Users Online:0
Games:732  Posts:6,222,419
ArenaNet | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 08/28/12)  | Pub:NCSoft
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$49.99 | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC Mac | Out of date info? Let us know!

Guild Wars 2 Forum » General Discussion » Fractals: Decent dungeon design

3 Pages « 1 2 3 » Search
42 posts found
  DMKano

Elite Member

11/17/12 8:33:18 AM#21
Originally posted by Zeus.CM
Fractals dungeons restored my faith in Arenanet making dungeons. I am pleased.

Umm to have ones faith restored it implies that one would have lost faith previously - did this ever happen? 

Zeus.CM

Advanced Member

www.croatian-maniacs.com

11/17/12 8:52:26 AM#22
Originally posted by DMKano

Umm to have ones faith restored it implies that one would have lost faith previously - did this ever happen? 

Actually at some point yes. I don't like other dungeons, really. I farm them for gold and gear but they are not as interesting as this one.

Gaia_Hunter

Elite Member

11/17/12 10:20:57 AM#23
Originally posted by cybertrucker

LOL  at  OP who has continuously bashed the game this last week and practicallly attacked people who have said good stuff about the game.

No, the OP didn't like the fact Anet decided to had a gear tier (against Anet own previous design filosophy) that replaced exotics as the max stats gear.

In fact, most people defending Aned decision didn't say "it was a great move, I have been wishing for this" but instead they tried to say the impact of the items would be minimal, or it would only be this time, or that it didn't constitute a complete departure from their previous design choice but only an adjustment, or that ascended would only impact the dungeon, or that is only rings and back slots, or (wrongly say) that Legendaries already have higher stats than exotics.

Curiously, the majority of people saying adding gear tiers for progression is a good are detractors from the game, that of course still won't like the game for a or b or tat, even if before hey bashed the game for lack of progression.

Blogs also mirror that - some like the game not caring about the design filosophies Anet have been implementing since Guild Wars 1, so they don't really care if the filosophy changes or not; some like the game and also like the original filosophy, so their response vary from "wait and see", "mildly concerned", "very concerned", raging; people that hate the game, especially disliking the manifesto where Anet identified several things as wrong and outdated, so they are gloating about Anet adding a gear treadmil and of course they hope GW2 can't sustain this rate of releasing content and also desire GW2 to crash and burn to prove P2P is necessary for a quality successful product.

People that enjoy games and hope they succeed don't have to agree with all the decisions Anet takes and showing that disagreement, especially if in a well structured manner, isn't bashing.

Currently playing: GW2
Cooperative (semi cooperative)board games you should check: Pandemic, Sentinels of the Multiverse, Eldritch Horror, Descent 2.0,Level 7 Omega Protocol, Last Night on Earth

xpiher

Advanced Member

OP  11/17/12 11:40:46 PM#24
Originally posted by DMKano

Actually at some point yes. I don't like other dungeons, really. I farm them for gold and gear but they are not as interesting as this one.

I agree. The previous dungeons really left a lot to be desired. 

Games:
Currently playing:Nothing
Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
Past games:
Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
Xpiher's GW2
GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
Warhammer - Xpiher

Torgrim

Spotlight Poster

11/18/12 4:18:21 AM#25
Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter
Originally posted by cybertrucker

LOL  at  OP who has continuously bashed the game this last week and practicallly attacked people who have said good stuff about the game.

No, the OP didn't like the fact Anet decided to had a gear tier (against Anet own previous design filosophy) that replaced exotics as the max stats gear.

In fact, most people defending Aned decision didn't say "it was a great move, I have been wishing for this" but instead they tried to say the impact of the items would be minimal, or it would only be this time, or that it didn't constitute a complete departure from their previous design choice but only an adjustment, or that ascended would only impact the dungeon, or that is only rings and back slots, or (wrongly say) that Legendaries already have higher stats than exotics.

Curiously, the majority of people saying adding gear tiers for progression is a good are detractors from the game, that of course still won't like the game for a or b or tat, even if before hey bashed the game for lack of progression.

Blogs also mirror that - some like the game not caring about the design filosophies Anet have been implementing since Guild Wars 1, so they don't really care if the filosophy changes or not; some like the game and also like the original filosophy, so their response vary from "wait and see", "mildly concerned", "very concerned", raging; people that hate the game, especially disliking the manifesto where Anet identified several things as wrong and outdated, so they are gloating about Anet adding a gear treadmil and of course they hope GW2 can't sustain this rate of releasing content and also desire GW2 to crash and burn to prove P2P is necessary for a quality successful product.

People that enjoy games and hope they succeed don't have to agree with all the decisions Anet takes and showing that disagreement, especially if in a well structured manner, isn't bashing.

It's easy to get exotics but a pain in the ass to grind for legendary which turned a lot of people off so Anet put in something in the between which I think was a smart move.

I don't see anything wrong with that.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

austriacus

Novice Member

11/18/12 4:55:29 AM#26
Originally posted by Djildjamesh
Originally posted by blooddrawing

Who's done the Dredge fractal?

Impossible eh?

This link shows you every Fractal: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Fractals_of_the_Mists

isn't that the one with the oil ? I know i did it last night, was good fun.

Completed 3 round of 3 bosses (so 45 of those fractal thingy's). I must say i think it's an amazing dungeon!

By the end of level 3 we got allot of rare's and im curious to see when the excotics start dropping  :)

Actually a friend got exotics at fractal level 1, pretty cool actually.

Airwren

Novice Member

11/18/12 5:06:11 AM#27
Originally posted by austriacus

Impossible eh?

This link shows you every Fractal: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Fractals_of_the_Mists

Completed 3 round of 3 bosses (so 45 of those fractal thingy's). I must say i think it's an amazing dungeon!

By the end of level 3 we got allot of rare's and im curious to see when the excotics start dropping  :)

I got an exotic cloth leg piece in a lvl 1.  Too bad it was account bound and uses the same skins from the karma gear in Orr. =(  Ah well, here's hoping for a few ectos from the trash.

Master10K

Apprentice Member

11/18/12 5:11:21 AM#28
Originally posted by austriacus

Impossible eh?

I got lucky yesterday and got an exotic light helm, with the exact stats I wanted, to replace my old Green helm. It was on a level 2 fractal.

Anyway the fractals are fun, but can be frustrating with certain PUGs, unable to figure out some of the easy puzzles and mechanics. Worst experience so far was with that Ice elemental sub-boss, where I was in a group with people who were unable to kite it into the fire or keep out of the red circles.

untam3d

Novice Member

11/18/12 5:18:53 AM#29

I heard that Fractal of the Mists is the first dungeon created by the team specifically appointed to make dungeons. I have yet to do the dungeon, but I'm hearing really good things about it.

I really didn't like the lack of mechanics in many of the dungeons prior to this, nor the odd difficulty ramp some dungeons had, ex. all bosses, including last one, were easy except for second boss. I can't wait to try out FotM and I'm also looking forward to the dungeon team's second dungeon :).

Greyhooff

Novice Member

11/18/12 6:08:37 AM#30
Originally posted by Maephisto

the wise man changes his mind.

the fool never does.

This.

The fractal design is superb. Some people are saying it's the best dungeon they've done, and these are experienced WoW/Rift top end raiders.

It's because of the variety, difficulty scaling and spread of responsibility.

The difficulty is wonderfully spread out among all 5 members of the group, unlike other games where basically only the tank and healer have all of the responsibility on their shoulders and the dps are just spamming rotations with the occasional CC every 5 mins.

Quite remarkable.

And I think it goes without saying that Fractals design is FAR, FAR better than all the previous dungeons. Major visible increase in quality from whatever team does this stuff over at Anet.

Master10K

Apprentice Member

11/18/12 6:11:22 AM#31
What sucks is that all the other dungeons will become a lot less popular and I still need to get my "Dungeon Master" achievement.

Greyhooff

Novice Member

11/18/12 6:14:54 AM#32
Originally posted by Master10K
What sucks is that all the other dungeons will become a lot less popular and I still need to get my "Dungeon Master" achievement.

Nah people are still doing them, the tokens are unique for the armor skins so people will still run them for those.

Master10K

Apprentice Member

11/18/12 7:08:00 AM#33
Originally posted by Greyhooff

Nah people are still doing them, the tokens are unique for the armor skins so people will still run them for those.

My issue is that I've been trying to complete the CoE set and people rarely did that dungeon anyway (mostly saw LF CoF/SE/AC/Arah). Now nobody does CoE, especially since path 1 broke after a patch.

xpiher

Advanced Member

OP  11/18/12 7:57:58 AM#34
Is it bad that I'm already kinda board of the dungon. I thought there was more than 9 of them lol. Oh well. It still a bit of fun. 

Games:
Past games:
Xpiher's GW2
GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
Warhammer - Xpiher

Zeus.CM

Advanced Member

www.croatian-maniacs.com

11/18/12 7:59:52 AM#35
Originally posted by Greyhooff

My issue is that I've been trying to complete the CoE set and people rarely did that dungeon anyway (mostly saw LF CoF/SE/AC/Arah). Now nobody does CoE, especially since path 1 broke after a patch.

Doing it with pugs is a nightmare anyway. You should find a decent guild that uses team speak.

InFlamestwo

Apprentice Member

11/18/12 8:02:52 AM#36

Fractals of the Mists is the best dungeon i've played in any mmorpg. ArenaNet has written history with it.

The new island however wasn't that fun, the puzzles are hard though which is fun. I hope they add more events etc and it can become great.

Still haven't tried the new PvP map.

Edit: ArenaNet have said that they will update the old dungeons, i don't know if that means they will revamp them or just add new rewards..

Betaguy

Hard Core Member

Some folks are like Slinkies, totally useless but great fun to watch when pushed down stairs

11/18/12 8:06:44 AM#37
Originally posted by Thupli

How's that uninstall going for ya?

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5407719#5407719

Owned

xpiher

Advanced Member

OP  11/18/12 8:09:19 AM#38
Originally posted by Betaguy
Originally posted by Thupli

How's that uninstall going for ya?

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5407719#5407719

Owned

Not really owned since I'm likely to uninstall after the event. I only was giving it a shot since I thought that maybe the grind wouldn't be so bad and that maybe the stats from the items would be nearly the same. I was wrong on both accounts. 

Games:
Past games:
Xpiher's GW2
GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
Warhammer - Xpiher

MurlockDance

Advanced Member

11/18/12 8:43:31 AM#39
Originally posted by xpiher

@ MurlockDance

The only reason I did the dungon is to find out if it was well designed, to see how much grind it would take to get the items, and to hopefully see what kind of stats ascended upgrades would add. It is possible, but very slim mind you, that a full set of sigil buffed gear may be better for a character stat wise than a full set of ascended. I also wanted to see how quickly Agony kicked in. I made it to fractal level 3, thats 9-12 mini dungeon, agony hasn't kicked in yet. I want to trigger it to see if its a stupid constant damage debuff or something that actually takes thought. Like I said in the first reply to this thread, I still plan on quitting if it proves to be as bad as I initally though; however, I think ANET has done a good job with the dungeon. I also think, as I stated yesterday in a post that wsa quickly locked, that ANET did treadmill correctly if they plan on releasing 2 pieces every 3-4 months. This makes it a very slow treadmill, which makes it less grindy and less "keeping up with the Jones's"

It is still gated content which is, in some ways, worse. I have a huge allergy to gated content after AO and DAoC ToA. I would rather a treadmill à la WoW than gated content.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

User Deleted
11/18/12 8:48:02 AM#40
Originally posted by InFlamestwo

Fractals of the Mists is the best dungeon i've played in any mmorpg. ArenaNet has written history with it.

The new island however wasn't that fun, the puzzles are hard though which is fun. I hope they add more events etc and it can become great.

Still haven't tried the new PvP map.

Edit: ArenaNet have said that they will update the old dungeons, i don't know if that means they will revamp them or just add new rewards..

I think they mentioned a revamp because they realise they just arent that much fun. The fractal design gives me hope that they know what they are doing now.

3 Pages « 1 2 3 » Search