Trending Games | ArcheAge | World of Warcraft | Elder Scrolls Online | Star Wars: The Old Republic

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,923,484 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,316,614
ArenaNet | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 08/28/12)  | Pub:NCSoft
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$49.99 | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC Mac | Out of date info? Let us know!

Guild Wars 2 Forum » General Discussion » Guild Wars 2 Player Numbers

9 Pages First « 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Search
165 posts found
  Volkon

Novice Member

Facts do not require fiction for balance.

10/12/12 3:03:38 PM#161
Originally posted by KingJiggly

I hope you don't really look like that. Your picture I mean.

No offense intended, but the same could be said of you and yours.

Oderint, dum metuant.

niceguy3978

Elite Member

10/12/12 3:03:52 PM#162
Originally posted by Creslin321
Originally posted by boxsnd
Originally posted by Volkon
Originally posted by botrytis

So many people in this thread who know nothing about statistics. 

How to correctly "read" xfire: GW2 started with 15k users there and is now at 6.8k (and still falling), which is a 55% drop. Therefore we can safely assume that if it sold 2.5 million, right now less than 1.2 mil are still active (and it will be less than 1 mil in about 2-3 weeks).

BUT - how many GW2 players use Xfire. What percentage is that population of TOTAL GW2 players? You don't know? Well those numbers don't mean anything then.

You can't assume that by the numbers - all you can assume is the number of Xfire players are not playing GW2 anymore.

Learn population statistics since that is what you are trying to use by quoting Xfire numbers.

I think it's funny how many responses box's absolutely ridonkulous post has garnered...

I dunno, I think it might be the combination of first calling everyone an idiot, and then proceeding to say something monumentally stupid that people just can't resist replying to lol :).  Good tips for trolls in the future...

No. I get so many responses becuase what I'm saying is actually logical and it goes against everything fanboys believe in. They aren't arguing with me, but with their own logic.

Logical? So you agree that GW2 currently has 75% of the population that WoW currently does, and once had over 160% of WoWs population? Because that's what the numbers are apparently trying to tell us.

"Logically".

No I don't agree. You are actually the main reason I said people don't know statistics ITT. You can't compare games that way because a different % of the population of GW2 might use xfire compared to WoW players. What you can do is compare loss of players each week (for example GW2 lost 55% of its player base in the last 40 days. how many did SWTOR lose in its first 40 days? how many will MoP lose? etc)

xFire = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-selection_bias therefore it is not a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Representative_sample, it is also a very small sample size and thus very likely has a massive http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margin_of_error.

That would be true if people were using xfire to "vote" for games. They aren't. They are using it for reasons unrelated to the statistics(to enhance their gaming experience and track their gaming time). Therefore it is a mostly random sample which is more or less accurate (and xfire has been proven right every time in the past)

Your premise and your conclusion have nothing to do with one another.

How would whether or not xFire users are "voting" for games have anything to do with the fundamental randomness of the sample???

The only fact is that XFire users are by definition self selected, and probably tend to be fairly hardcore gamers, and thus not representative of all gamers at large.  THAT has something to do with them not being a random sample.  Whether or not they vote has nothing to do with that.

Actually, the sample size for GW2 is freaking huge.  A 9,000 sample size (population size is irrelevant) is very large, and will give you a margine of error of less than 2% ( a sample of 1500 people will get you a margin of error of 2.5%).   Most pollitical pollsters would give up an appendage to have a sample of 9k people most don't even get over 1k.   The real problem, that you hit on is the self-selection issue, and that is why you can't compare games with each other, it is useless for that purpose.

Edit:  Argh, I keep telling myself I won't partake in these x-fire debates anymore, but I always end up doing it anyway, I am going to now exit as I'm pretty sure x-fire is derailing the topic though it does seem related to the overall topic of population health.

cdestey

Novice Member

10/12/12 3:04:04 PM#163
Originally posted by Tokken
Originally posted by Half_Man_Half_Toon
Ok Hi All, I dunno what is happening all of the sudden but what i going on With Guild Wars 2 I dont see my Guildmates getting Online Or Even On Vent and also I watch allot of Twitch.Tv  and people are stopingto play Guild Wars 2 Pls tell me why I dont want to have the same feeling Star Wars The Old Republic had on me when it was release it was a bad feeling I dont want to feel like that again. Help!!!!

TOO MUCH COFFEE!! not enough periods.

Sounds like my grandmother!! :P

deamian

Novice Member

10/12/12 3:05:54 PM#164

Guild Wars 2 doesn't chain people to their computer desk like nearly every other mmo feels to do, I've been playing Borderlands 2, Dishonored, Planetside 2, Torchlight 2...sequel mania. And enjoying the fact that I can support other developments teams without having a "crap i should really be doing my dailies, or logging in and sitting in a city for an hour getting ready for a raid" moment

Refreshing

Amana

MMORPG.COM Staff

10/12/12 5:22:06 PM#165

We have shut down XFire threads for this reason.  http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5277723#5277723

To give feedback on moderation, contact community@mmorpg.com

9 Pages First « 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Search