Trending Games | Elder Scrolls Online | WildStar | ArcheAge | Star Wars: The Old Republic

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,642,963 Users Online:0
Games:681  Posts:6,076,708
ArenaNet | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 08/28/12)  | Pub:NCSoft
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$49.99 | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC Mac | Out of date info? Let us know!

Guild Wars 2 Forum » Engineer » Does the flamethrower suck?

12 posts found
  Creslin321

Spotlight Poster

OP  9/10/12 8:55:38 AM#1

Sooo I've been playing an engineer, and with whatever class I play, I like to be able to make use of all my tools.  But my problem is...I really haven't been able to use the flamethrower effectively.  I'm like level 17 with my engy, decent gear for that level, but the flamethrower seems to do jack crap when compared to my other kits.

So my questions to any other engies are:

Am I using the flamethrower wrong somehow, or does it just suck?  Have you found a good use for the flamethrower?

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

User Deleted
9/10/12 8:59:14 AM#2

It doesnt suck, but it doesnt really shine until you get enough points to invest in it doing more damage in the traits. I have played around with a really nice flamethrower build in PvP, does a lot of condition damage.

Also I should add that you will need gear to support doing condition damage, since that is its strength.

Creslin321

Spotlight Poster

OP  9/10/12 9:00:50 AM#3
Originally posted by evilastro

It doesnt suck, but it doesnt really shine until you get enough points to invest in it doing more damage in the traits. I have played around with a really nice flamethrower build in PvP, does a lot of condition damage.

Also I should add that you will need gear to support doing condition damage, since that is its strength.

Ah I see, that makes sense.  I'll just have to put it on the shelf until I get high enough to make good use of it.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

Draftbeer

Novice Member

„Why Are You Wearing that Stupid Man Suit?”

9/10/12 9:02:07 AM#4

I was thinking about the same, flamethrowers looks too badass to be this uneffective.

Alternative can be a Guardian with a Torch if you like flames, breathing flames, etc.

(Sceptre + Torch Heavy Armor mage Guardian :D)

Hrica

Novice Member

"Yesterday is history, Tomorrow a mystery, and today is a gift"

9/10/12 9:04:23 AM#5

Dude, I love the flame thrower.

I put out a heal & fire turret, stand behind and just let the enemies come.

Great defensive tatic for lots of mobs

MercurialG

Apprentice Member

9/10/12 9:16:06 AM#6
I am mostly bomb and nades myself but I think all engineers take out the flame thrower from time to time.  I picked up a set of conditional gear, then a got a minor sigil of corruption for like 48c on the TP.  I stuck it in a pistol I found.  I build +5 condition damage per kill and stacks up to 25 for +125 condition damage.  The boon lasts until you either zone or or get put into a fallen state (fight for your life).  I equip the pistol, kill 25 things with it, then switch to whatever and the boon remains.  I also have a pistol with +5 power per kill that stacks to 25.  Too bad you can't have both boons going.  But I like power for bombs and nades, the condition if I am in a group and want my dots to hit harder, good in pvp as well.
  User Deleted
9/10/12 10:51:41 AM#7
Originally posted by Creslin321

Ah I see, that makes sense.  I'll just have to put it on the shelf until I get high enough to make good use of it.

The endline skill 'Juggernaut' is amazing, not only does it give you 200 more toughness, it will also keep you capped on the Might buff as long as you are running around with the Flamethrower. Throw in 'Deadly Mixture' making the Flamethrower do 15% more damage, 'Backpack Regenerator' giving you constant health regen while using the kit, 'Blood Injection' for more condition damage and 'Fireforged Trigger' for quicker Flamethrower cooldowns.

I round it off with 'Precise Sights' and 'Incendiary Powder' to give vulnerability and burns on crits.

I find it does quite well, with the knockback and blind abilities giving some decent defence.

JoeyMMO

Advanced Member

To busy playing GW2 to post much around here... *shrug*

9/10/12 11:31:48 AM#8

The roof, the roof, the roof is on fire. We don't need no water let the motherf....r burn. Burn, motherf...r, burn!

I love the flamethrower, though it takes a bit of getting used to. It's not as bad a weapon as you'd think at the start. When you start speccing towards the burning damage it's quite good and I'll take it above the rifle any time of the day. Just for the cool looks alone it's worth it. Who cares if you die a bit more at first?

gessekai332

Advanced Member

9/10/12 11:51:22 AM#9

one of our best aoe kits available to us. aoe damage+aoeknockback+aoeblind+combo field. contrary to popular belief, flamethrower does actually benefit a lot from power+crit rate, not just condition damage.

i find myself using it a lot it situations with a lot of mobs spawning on you (both DE and dungeons).

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

Castillle

Forum Bunny

10/05/12 12:31:47 AM#10

The flamethrower doesnt benefit much at all from condition damage.  IT has a 1 sec burn after a long channel which isnt worth it.  PIstols are better for condition damage after you have dropped your combo field from flamethrower.

As for me, I never liked the flamethrower unless I was in a kit switching build and for that, I only use it for the flameburst on kit switch, the blind, and the combo field.  If not, I typically just run wrench + bombs + mine. 

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
( o.o)
(")(")
**This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

aesperus

Elite Member

10/05/12 12:39:13 AM#11
Originally posted by Creslin321

The endline skill 'Juggernaut' is amazing, not only does it give you 200 more toughness, it will also keep you capped on the Might buff as long as you are running around with the Flamethrower. Throw in 'Deadly Mixture' making the Flamethrower do 15% more damage, 'Backpack Regenerator' giving you constant health regen while using the kit, 'Blood Injection' for more condition damage and 'Fireforged Trigger' for quicker Flamethrower cooldowns.

I round it off with 'Precise Sights' and 'Incendiary Powder' to give vulnerability and burns on crits.

I find it does quite well, with the knockback and blind abilities giving some decent defence.

This ^.

However, one thing to keep inmind, is that the flamethrower isn't ever going to be the best damage setup. It's more for area control & harassment. It can do some pretty good condition damage when you get enough traits (especially the one to keep a constant burn on targets). However, the damage isn't as high as some of the single target focused weapons (turrets, or regular rifle / pistol), but it's AoE.

What the flamethrower does do well though, is allows you to push & pull enemies around an area to keep them where you want them & interrupt their attacks. This is especially useful when combined w/ things like turrets, supply drop, mines, or bombs.

If you're going for pure damage, I've found grenades & bombs to work best atm.

clownst0pper

Novice Member

5/22/13 1:46:48 PM#12
I found an awesome Flamethrower build here. Works bloody well!