Trending Games | Landmark | World of Warcraft | Hearthstone | Camelot Unchained

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,919,854 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,310,409
ArenaNet | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 08/28/12)  | Pub:NCSoft
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$49.99 | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC Mac | Out of date info? Let us know!

Guild Wars 2 Forum » General Discussion » FORUM EXPERIMENT: Do You Play This MMO?

10 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Last Search
188 posts found
  hundejahre

Novice Member

8/02/12 11:39:31 PM#21

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why?:  

Yes, very. It seemed to offer something different than other current titles (combat, streamlined UI, dynamic event system, no monthly fee without gimping play)

Do you currently play this game?:

Yes, during the beta weekends and stress tests.

If yes, please explain why:

I love the game. I love how it looks, how it plays, and it's a good match for my wife and I.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?:

Other than the GW2 Beta (and live come release), nothing. MMOs are mostly dead to me.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?

I mostly post to answer questions posed by other forum members.

Misthawk

Novice Member

8/02/12 11:41:33 PM#22

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?:

Yes.  I enjoyed GW1 very much, that when I learned in 2007 that there was a GW2 coming out, that wasn't all instanced, I was hooked from then on.

Yes.

Played all the weekend events, and like others, am awaiting launch.  I enjoy the fact that the game encourages questing, through the lines of dynamic events, the open grouping, etc.  I like the fact that there is no gear grind, the world around you is alive, and that what you and others do, dictates how the world around you will play out.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?:

Rift.  I played it in the past, and recently picked it up and started playing it again.  After playing GW2 betas, I am stuck on the open grouping feature, which Rift also has, and pretty much commit to games that carry this feature.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?

To learn.  Others have seen what others have not.  By reading and posting in this subforum, I can learn, as well as, give feedback to others who may wish to buy and play this game as well.  Since the game isn't even released yet, all we can really do is discuss what we wish to see from it, and Q&A on topics from the BWEs.

mindw0rk

Novice Member

8/02/12 11:48:08 PM#23

Interest grew with first bits of information few years ago. Then GW became the most anticipated MMO for me.

No

If no, please explain why:

Because its not out yet? Im thinking about buying GW2 tho. Just for fast arena PvP and learning combat mechanics. Not interested in other aspects of it.

Only The Secret World. I think it is the best MMORPG in last 8 years (since WoW). And yes, overal better then GW2. But I'm more interested in GW2' s PvP.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?

Not a frequent poster. Just saw this topic on front page.

Zooce

Novice Member

8/02/12 11:53:23 PM#24

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?:  Not at first, I thought it sounded like a WAR/Rift clone due to my misunderstanding of the DE system and thinking it sounded similar to PQs and rifts/invasions.  After reading more about the game and hearing endless positive experiences from previous beta testers I decided to check it out for myself in the final beta weekend event.

Do you currently play this game?:  Yes, at every available opportunity until headstart.

If yes, please explain why:  After playing GW2, every other game pales in comparison.  The game is incredibly polished and virtually bug-free while still in beta testing- such a welcome experience after playing other recent titles riddled with bugs well after their testing phase ended and the subscription-requiring client released.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?:  Awaiting GW2, because I enjoy the PvE, PvP, and crafting.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?  I frequently post in this subforum to discuss my limited in-game experiences, inquire about mechanics still unfamiliar to me, and speculate about the potential success it will attain.

bcbully

Elite Member

8/03/12 12:01:35 AM#25

Yes until I heard it was made by NCsoft. It seemed like AION had just came out had issue but they ironed them out. It didn't make sense to me for NCsoft to support another fantasy mmo while AION was still the second most played sub based MMO. AION was pretty, but it was too much like WoW for me and I've never been a fan of korean mmos.

No

N/A

Cash shop where you can buy power and exchange cash for gems for gold. It just goes against the spirit of competition in my eyes. I think everyone should have an equal footing with out the influence of real money.

The community on mmorpg. So much bashing of all that is not GW2 with no regard for facts and others opinons. If it's not GW2 and b2p they will attempt to tear it down.

The dev and marketing team. I just got off the swtor hype train. "We will change the gaming world."  "End game starts at level 1"  "We don't want to overwhelm new players so we simplified" These things leave a bad taste in my month it sounds like lip service and the last thing I want to hear is we simplified. It just seems very condescending and reminiscent of BioWare.

No competitive PvE 

Instant 80 PvP just seems like that cuts the whole learning and getting more powerful out the equation.

TSW for the depth of systems, real world setting, learning curve, overall difficulty, customozation no two toons are the same, and just an overall attention to detail of the game world. You can look on google maps and see exactly where you just were playing, down to researching and looking up everything you see. It all has a tie to the real world. 

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?

Tough questions need to be asked about GW2 just like every other mmo. 

grimm6th

Novice Member

8/03/12 12:19:35 AM#26

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why?  

Yes.  Huge GW1 fan for years.  It is B2P, which is nice, and Anet has some very forward thinking ways of approaching the process of making a game.  They have vision, and they know where they want to take the game.  

Do you currently play this game?  

Well, it isn't out yet, but I flew out to Seattle to play the demo at PAX prime 2010, and I preordered pretty much as soon as it was available.  I have played in each BWE and each stress test.  So I guess the answer is yes.

The ease of group play, the combat, and the continuation of GW lore are all reasons for me to play the game, but my biggest reason is the structured PvP and the hot-join PvP.  I love it.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?

None, unless GW1 qualifies.  I really haven't been able to play other MMOs as I am always frustrated by the differences between how they do things and how GW does things.

The single biggest reason i started posting on this subforum was to try and keep the facts straight, and to keep people from coming to eroneous conclusions about what the game was like.  As it seems many others here also do this, I have moved to providing my views on topics that interest me.

I used to TL;DR, but then I took a bullet point to the footnote.

engellen

Novice Member

played a million mmo's

8/03/12 2:26:11 AM#27
Originally posted by MikeB

Hey guys,

I'd like to do a forum experiment on some of our most trafficked forums. This will be simple and straightforward. Below, you'll find a set of basic questions that I'd like you to answer (copy and paste the questions as is into your reply, retain all formatting, do not add anything). This isn't a discussion thread, so responding to other users' responses is not allowed. These posts will be removed.

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?: Yes, I was hooked when i saw the irst WvW videos from press beta.

Do you currently play this game?: no

If no, please explain why: not out yet.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?: currently only LoL 

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do? dont post much just read alot.

Thanks for your responses! Remember, please just copy the above questions and answer them straightforwardly if you'd like to participate in this.

NOTE: Please do not answer questions that currently do not apply. Feel free to edit your answers to these questions in once the game goes live.

played a million mmo's

Mithrandolir

Advanced Member

Our doubts are traitors and make us lose the good we oft' might win, by fearing to attempt

8/03/12 2:42:22 AM#28

No. I did not like GW1 (although I did play until I ascended) and didn't like certain things about early GW2 vids either, such as the full body highlight around targets. 

Yes

I was coming off a major TSW letdown and got a key for BWE3, tried it out and fell in love with the art style, the races, the concepts, the world design, the WvWvW, the racial areas, etc...

I have canceled all current mmos (AC1, UO and Rift) in anticipation of playing GW2 exclusively come the 25th.

My new found love for the game, and sharing thoughts about the game with others.

AIMonster

Hard Core Member

8/03/12 2:52:55 AM#29

Yes.  The initial trailer released with the announcement of the game didn't excite me very much, but I started getting very excited for the game once the much longer videos from Gamescon were released around 2009 showing off the various gameplay.

During the betas and stress tests for as much as possible.

Because Guild Wars 2 is truely an evolution of the MMO genre.  It just makes any other MMO released pale in comparison.

I tried to play TSW to tide me over till Guild Wars 2 officially releasing, but being rather hardcore myself I finished nearly all the content it had to offer in a week and a half.  I can't bring myself to play any other MMOs right now.

Random discussions about the game and my hobby.  Same reason I post in any forums, really.

Raptr link because it's the cool new trend:

Hybridvampyr

Novice Member

8/03/12 2:56:03 AM#30

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?: Yes, It has all the makings of a game that will keep me busy for a long time

Do you currently play this game?: The Beta weekends

If yes, please explain why: The Exploration, Combat system, Dye system and pretty much every other feature.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?: TSW whilst im waiting.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?  I like to get the extra little pieces of info that i may have missed myself.

Vampyrhybrid Xfire Miniprofile
  AlBQuirky

Spotlight Poster

Tomorrow's just a future yesterday...

8/03/12 2:59:22 AM#31

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?: No. GW1 never did quite grab me and originally thought this was just a continuation. Never looked deeper into it.

Do you currently play this game?: No

If no, please explain why: Have not purchased it yet.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?: EverQuest and City of Heroes. Nostalgia's sake.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do? I have recently gotten an interest in GW2.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
- FARGIN_WAR

Torluk

Novice Member

8/03/12 3:06:45 AM#32

No - It's not really my cup of tea, I don't have a rig that would do it justice at the moment and therefore it hasn't interested me enough to warrant building a new one just to play it.

No

See first answer.

Currently playing Wurm Online.  I play Wurm because it is the best medieval virtual world simulator on the market at the moment and one of the only sandboxes to offer PvE only servers.  Also, I have the freedom to do what I want, when I want without being limited in progression.  By that I mean there is no preset path the developers have set out for the players, all items are tradeable and 99% are player crafted.  Pretty much a solid all-round sandbox experience.

Just here to add some more data to the experiment.  I sometimes read what others have posted in this subforum as I like to keep up to date with what is happening in the MMORPG genre but this is the first time I have posted in it.

Volkmar

Novice Member

8/03/12 4:28:04 AM#33

Hey guys,

I'd like to do a forum experiment on some of our most trafficked forums. This will be simple and straightforward. Below, you'll find a set of basic questions that I'd like you to answer (copy and paste the questions as is into your reply, retain all formatting, do not add anything). This isn't a discussion thread, so responding to other users' responses is not allowed. These posts will be removed.

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?: Yes, but I became interested into it much later than the average, around the BWE 3 (so end of July 2012)

Do you currently play this game?: Yes, I prepurchased and will play any and all Stress test they do and then the release.

If yes, please explain why: This game is to Today what WoW was to 2004. It refine the last 8 years+ of MMOs in a single awesome package. While no single element is revolutionary, like for WoW in 2004, no other game does everything GW2 does as well as GW2 does. Also Charrs.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?: I've an Annual pass in WoW, so technically I'm playing that, but since end of July, I am not playing any MMO.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do? I love GW2 and talking about it. Also there are no official forums ><

Thanks for your responses! Remember, please just copy the above questions and answer them straightforwardly if you'd like to participate in this.

NOTE: Please do not answer questions that currently do not apply. Feel free to edit your answers to these questions in once the game goes live.

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

- My New World of Darkness Tabletop RPG Blog:
http://realmofroleplay.com/?cat=19

User Deleted
8/03/12 4:39:45 AM#34

Well, it hasn't come out yet... but yes, I was. Why? Very simple: finally something that is not a "WoW clone" with minor variations.

I was in beta events, then I prepurchased and played all the BWE and stress tests, and I will be among the first in line to log in August 25 at midnight PST.

Best theme park MMO released since World of Warcraft, possibly even since Asheron's Call. No gear dependency, cooperation encouraged, a huge and living world, dynamic events and also dynamic combat, but also more "fluff" content (vistas, jumping puzzles), not to mention the game itself is polished and more stable in beta than many games several months after their release (*cough*TSW*cough*).

LOTRO because I have a lifetime sub, and some PvP in WoW daily to pass time until GW2 is released.

Despite the few trolls and negative posters from other games on a "hate crusade", people here are generally well informed about the MMORPG genre and most of the information and opinions posted are interesting. I also like how the moderators are usually relatively fast at spotting and nuking obvious troll threads/posts, making the forum more enjoyable for everybody really interested in the game. One remark though (I already sent Mike a PM about this), I think the forums in general could use a couple of European and Asian time moderators to cover the time when the actual US moderators are sleeping or offline.

tifalockhart

Apprentice Member

8/03/12 4:44:14 AM#35

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?: Yes as i played guild wars 1

Do you currently play this game?: Yes i was in the final beta weekend and the the stress test last night

If yes, please explain why: i enjoy the story and lore from the first guild wars and this is a continuation

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?:  Champions Online, DCUO, Startrek Online as these are MMO's  i enjoy.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do? i just seen the experiment and wanted to post to it, i dont think ive ever posted on these forums.

Waiting For:Archeage
current:Guild Wars 2
past: EQ, EQ2, Planetside, SWG, Matrix Online, Ultima Online, WoW, CoH/CoV, Tabula Rasa, Pirates of the Burning sea, AoC, Eve Online, Startrek Online.Fallen Earth, Champions Online, SWTOR

Nefera

Novice Member

8/03/12 4:52:13 AM#36

Hey guys,

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?: Yes, loved the original, so being interested in part 2 is natural

Do you currently play this game?: I wish =P   Will be playing as soon as it comes out.

If yes, please explain why: I have fun playing the game.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?: Currently, none.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do? This is the game I know the most about and have the most to say about. If someone has a question, I'd be more than happy to share my knowledge and experiences.

Loktofeit

Advanced Member

Currently playing EVE, SMITE, ArcheAge, and Combat Arms

8/03/12 4:55:57 AM#37

Yes. Guildmates plan on heading there for PVP.

No.

It's not out yet.

Ultima Online - Diversity of choices. Fim sim/virtual world style gameplay.
EVE Online - trading and market side of the game is fun

Nothing. I use Recent forum posts to find threads. Never browsed directly to a GW 2 forum.

"And wikipedia is as accurate as Britannica. Wikipedia is very reliable. You would be hard pressed to find a more reliable source for these kinds of things." -fivoroth

User Deleted
8/03/12 5:02:10 AM#38

Yes, because with every bit of new information that came out, I noticed more and more that the developers were actually delivering on their promises to their fanbase.

No, awaiting the head start.

No more betas I don't think.

StarTrekOnline, to pass the time. I occasionally login to WoW just to see if they have done an update.

To help educate the people who honestly don't know much about this title despite all of the information on this subject in your own forums. The sticky notes are apparently not enough to give people a better idea of how this game works. I find there are a large number of posts from people that simply have the wrong idea about the game and it's store because they haven't done enough reading. I come here too in the hopes that someone will post something I haven't read or seen yet.

aesperus

Elite Member

8/03/12 5:25:31 AM#39

Hey guys,

Yes. Was a huge fan of the first game, so naturally I was interested in the sequel. When I heard their design manifesto my interest peaked quite a bit. This is the first company I've seen that actually focuses on game design, and points out very real design issues with other games, and lays out their approach to tackling these issues. It's extremely rare to see a company that focuses on good game design nowadays.

About as much as one can? The game isn't out yet, so.. I have played all the BWEs but one. Though I generally avoided the stress tests after the first one. Trying not to burn out my initial experience in beta, so some of the starting experience is still fresh.

Because it's not out yet.

Not really playing any MMOs currently. Played TSW for a little over a week, and got really tired of it. Currently, the closest thing to an MMO I'm playing is GW1. Though, I'm mostly playing single player games, trying to beat some of the ones I bought a while ago, but never finished.

Mostly to see if there's any new insights from the community. I also like to help people who have questions, concerns, or are less informed. However, most of the time what I'm actually doing is correcting the massive amounts of lies, misinformation, and slander posts directed at the game. There's been so many of these that I've actually stopped posting as much, because it's become a huge waste of time. However, it still bugs me when people just make up crap about the game, because I know some people is going to read it as truth and then get false expectations / impressions of the game.

Skuz

Novice Member

"If you can''t laugh at yourself there''s always someone around to show you how it''s done!"

8/03/12 5:29:22 AM#40

Hey guys,

Yes, the setting, themes &  design were interesting, also the B2P model factored into the decision.

Played the Beta weekends, have pre-purchased.

It scratches an itch for something off the beaten path

Main MMO is SWTOR - I'm a Star Wars fan & I enjoy the game despite its perceived faults, I find the raiding content fun & the stories engaging.  TSW another off the beaten path game, casually.

Hard to say, motivations are generally spontaneous & change momentarily.

10 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Last Search