Trending Games | Trove | Elder Scrolls Online | Guild Wars 2 | Shroud of the Avatar

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,767,625 Users Online:0
Games:720  Posts:6,186,433
ArenaNet | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 08/28/12)  | Pub:NCSoft
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$49.99 | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC Mac | Out of date info? Let us know!

Guild Wars 2 Forum » Beta Weekend Event Reviews & Impressions (Archived) » The single greatest, amazing thing in the beta -

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 Search
80 posts found
  rungard

Novice Member

The Sandbox Foundation does not exist!

4/30/12 4:02:38 PM#61

they need voice to text!

it doesnt have to be perfect!

theres no time to talk and i cant type worth a crap.

udon

Elite Member

4/30/12 4:02:59 PM#62
Originally posted by Naevius

Everybody cooperates.

There is no kill-stealing, ninja looting, grabbing gathering nodes.

No queueing/competing for spawns.

Everybody helps revive fallen players.

This, alone, makes it a great game IMO.

Until you had a dynamic event where you had to collect apples for contribution points and people would wait until you engaged a spider and swoop in to grab all the apples your just knocked off the tree up.

Many of the dynamic events like the siege on the water pipes by bomb carring bandits however was a lot of fun with people running all over the place helping out where needed.

Benedikt

Tipster

We live for The One, we die for The One.

4/30/12 4:04:57 PM#63

actually there seems to be one case - from time to time there are chests in the world (after boss fight, in "secret" places) which seems to be lootable only by 1 person.

i was in the middle of the mob guarding the chest, when another player came - he "helped" me to kill it and then quickly looted the chest

Naevius

Apprentice Member

OP  4/30/12 4:48:51 PM#64
Originally posted by Benedikt

actually there seems to be one case - from time to time there are chests in the world (after boss fight, in "secret" places) which seems to be lootable only by 1 person.

i was in the middle of the mob guarding the chest, when another player came - he "helped" me to kill it and then quickly looted the chest

I actually found one even worse example - in WvW you get loot from using 'Finish Them' on enemy players, but only the person who executes it gets it, even if you all contributed.

Still, minor compared to the overall feel of the game.

Freyas

Novice Member

5/01/12 4:37:10 PM#65
Originally posted by Benedikt

All of the chests I ran into were lootable by everyone- I found one in a Jotun cave in the norn area, one behind a cave wall that a giant opened up after we drove a bunch of ettins out of the cave in the second human area, and the chest that appeared after we killed the swamp behemoth.  They just didn't pop open a loot window for some reason- the items just got deposited in my inventory.

Delvie

Novice Member

5/01/12 6:32:59 PM#66
Originally posted by udon

Everybody cooperates.

Until you had a dynamic event where you had to collect apples for contribution points and people would wait until you engaged a spider and swoop in to grab all the apples your just knocked off the tree up.

Many of the dynamic events like the siege on the water pipes by bomb carring bandits however was a lot of fun with people running all over the place helping out where needed.

On the apples - once the DE started every spider had an apple in their loot as well as whatever they normally dropped.  It wasn't hard to get apples either way.  What was hilarious was each tree that dropped a bunch of apples also dropped a tree branch - lots of folks picked it up by mistake and spent time trying to figure out how to get rid of it.

My single greatest amazing thing in Beta - the absolutely amazing amount (AAA) of content.  It isn't even just the amount - add in the quality factor and I was astounded.  There is literally something for almost everyone, and not just a little something.  I know that I'd heard about all of this etc but actually completing the last of the level 1-5 part of Queensdale and opening my map to figure out what to do next, then scrolling out I realized that definitely I've found my home.

Check out our blog: http://www.ticklemetyria.com

gestalt11

Hard Core Member

5/01/12 6:44:56 PM#67
Originally posted by suu141
Originally posted by cutter666
Originally posted by RebelScum99

Everybody cooperates.

And yet, nobody says a word to each other.

Actions speak louder than words?

Exactly.  When 5-8 people come out of no-where to res me whenever I die, then everyone dissapears before I get to type 'thank you'. There is no need for words :)

I just did a /bow when that happened to me.

Also rezzing people gives xp

Akatsi

Novice Member

5/01/12 6:44:58 PM#68
The best moment for me was probably going to get a skill point. It was in the norn area, and it was inside a cave. I walked inside after killing a few spiders and noticed there was actually a huge cliff inside the cave, sprawling with spiders, veteran spiders, etc. etc. Tried pushing up, failed miserably. Then two other players ran in. We didn't talk, didn't make a party or anything like that. We started working together and moving up the cliff. What surprised me the most was when I went down they actually revived me, waited till I got me and my raven got our health back, and then we moved forward. I haven't seen that sort of helpfulness in an mmo community in a very long time.
  mrw0lf

Novice Member

5/01/12 6:55:28 PM#69

The under water game is done well, it feels good and seperate from the land game.

No mounts in wvwvw and pretty sparse spawns is an excellent idea, they should keep that dspite the whining they will get.

The best moment was a after a chain of de's a large boss spawed in the swamps, unexpected  but fun lots of people not having a clue what was going on and then lots of people dieing.

-----
“The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

semantikron

Novice Member

5/01/12 7:59:50 PM#70

There is no kill-stealing, ninja looting,... 

I really enjoyed this from the perspective of seeing someone else in trouble, and knowing that by helping I couldn't somehow steal XP or loot, so you just jump right in and fight.

Charr: Outta my way.
Human: What's your problem?
Charr: Your thin skin.

Terrorizor

Apprentice Member

5/01/12 8:10:02 PM#71
pfft, and here I thought this thread was about me.
  kujii

Apprentice Member

5/01/12 8:11:34 PM#72

I died in the bear spawining area.  An assassin started to rez me and 2 bears jumped on him and killed him.  He rez'd and ran back to rez me again.  When I was almost revived a bear jumped on him,  he almost had it dead when one of the musk ox looking things aggro'd for some reason and killed him.  He rez'd again and finally was able to rez me.  This was an unknown person to me....Thank you Kind Assassin :)   So I think the people were the most amazing.  I was revived many times by people who went out of there way to risk themselves to help me. 

Naevius

Apprentice Member

OP  5/02/12 7:32:25 AM#73
Originally posted by semantikron

I really enjoyed this from the perspective of seeing someone else in trouble, and knowing that by helping I couldn't somehow steal XP or loot, so you just jump right in and fight.

Yep, made me feel like, you know, a hero. :)

Distopia

Drifter

"what a boring life, HATING everything" -Gorilla Biscuits

5/02/12 7:46:04 AM#74

Been a while since you played a new MMO? Very few made in this day and age have a problem with kill/loot stealing. Most use the bind system: IE: first hit gets loot/xp rights. :):P

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

It is a sign of a defeated man, to attack at ones character in the face of logic and reason- Me

Naevius

Apprentice Member

OP  5/02/12 9:12:08 AM#75

Which is exactly what I would call stealing!

(More specifically, I always hated that feeling of 'Oh, no he's killing MY mobs!'.)

Mardukk

Spotlight Poster

5/02/12 9:17:01 AM#76
Originally posted by Distopia

Been a while since you played a new MMO? Very few made in this day and age have a problem with kill/loot stealing. Most use the bind system: IE: first hit gets loot/xp rights. :):P

I like the larger amount of freedom in EQ, where you can loot others mobs after a fairly significant amount of time.  More freedom is better.

sidhaethe

Novice Member

5/02/12 11:43:01 AM#77

That completely falls under killstealing to me. Melee at a disadvantage, mages running around tagging everything in sight. No thanks.

Oh, and those halycon days of Rift's youth with all the turtle-bound folks racing to mining nodes while other players were fighting the mobs around them (I'm sure they were fighting those mobs as a courtesy, so that others could reap the benefits of that mining node!). I remember one such moment when I watched this happen to someone else, and the person just said, resignedly into /1, "same shit, different MMO". Couldn't be more true.

In GW2 for once it isn't true any longer.

sidhaethe

Novice Member

5/02/12 11:44:26 AM#78
Originally posted by udon

Everybody cooperates.

BTW I reported the apple orchard as a bug. I didn't run into any other renown heart (it's a renown task, not a DE) that had that issue.

semantikron

Novice Member

5/02/12 1:03:48 PM#79

So you don't like not having to think twice about whether that guy being chased by a swarm of mobs has them all tagged yet, or whether your help will dilute his xp?  Just bugs the shit out of me in that moment when I have to figure out whether my help is actually wanted, or if I'm just being an asshole standing there watching him die.  I mean, sure, I can hesitate and then if he gets crunched say that I wasn't sure if he was farming them.  My conscience is clear and oh yeah, sorry I don't have a rez on this class.  It's just more fun to jump right in.

Charr: Outta my way.
Human: What's your problem?
Charr: Your thin skin.

Twisted77

Novice Member

5/02/12 2:44:46 PM#80
No dedicated healers is really working out nicely.

It definately creates teamwork with random players.
4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 Search