Trending Games | Villagers and Heroes | Landmark | World of Warcraft | Guild Wars 2

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,920,099 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,310,761
ArenaNet | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 08/28/12)  | Pub:NCSoft
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$49.99 | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC Mac | Out of date info? Let us know!

Guild Wars 2 Forum » General Discussion » Please read here before crying about problems in BETA

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » Search
66 posts found
  baphamet

Hard Core Member

4/28/12 9:29:21 AM#21

i have played it a little bit and haven't personally experienced any crashes or terrible lag.

i have not played a lot but so far its been alright.

Kyleran

Bitter Vet™

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

4/28/12 9:29:46 AM#22
Originally posted by karmath
Originally posted by Deathenger

Taken fron the interwebs because I'm lazy....

"A beta version is the first version released outside the organization or community that develops the software, for the purpose of evaluation or real-world black/grey-box testing. The process of delivering a beta version to the users is called beta release. Beta level software is between 60% and 70% complete, generally includes all features, but may also include known issues and bugs of a less serious variety."

Issues are part of the improvement process. As a beta tester you are there to help find bugs and report issues so they can be taken care of. You are a TESTER of an unfinished product, its NOT a free trial.

Yeah sure your pre-purchase allowed you the privelage of getting to participate as a beta tester but that still dosent change a thing. Your a tester of an unfinished product and thats it.

So save the rage a tears for your momma or stay away from betas. Crashes, login issues when the flood gates are opened and bugs come with the territory, expecially with the volume of people trying to play this game.

That is what a real beta is. The vast majority of so called 'betas' have been nothing more than a marketing tool to generate sales. This GW2 beta is not a real beta by any stretch of the imagination, even some rampant fanboi's agree on that. What you see today is the finished product for the most part, a few small changes here and there will make it through sure, but if your thinking any major changes or optimisations are going to take place you are a fool that just got duped by Anets marketing/pr team, sorry.

Agree, that description more accurately describes the closed beta phase of most MMO's, as another said this round is more like a stress test and you would expect the code to be 90-100% complete at this point.

And as noted, stress testing can suck, so perhaps when people pre-order and get 'accepted' into these events a more cautionary note should be displayed on the log-ijn screen that they are participating in active testing environment and they should expect some inconsistencies in performance.

Tera just went through it in the past month, couple of stress related failures but they worked through them and everything turned out fine, that's the whole purpose of these cycles.

Arrogant, Condescending, Dismissive, Elitist, "Meany", you speak as if these are bad things?
"People can do with their money what they want. But... that doesn't make it smart" - COORS
"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

bakon2

Novice Member

4/28/12 9:31:02 AM#23
what???!!! I can't play all four races....ah crap.  this sucks.  I am out too...who wants my stuff? <sarcasm off> But seriously, who whats my stuff?

Stimos8

Advanced Member

4/28/12 9:33:09 AM#24
Yeah thats great and all... but your forgotting one very important thing, most of the bad reviews about beta so far have been about the graphics, bad art style, same quests and movement/ gameplay bulkiness. You cant change anyone of those things once its hit beta, why? Because its to late, to have a full game revamp. It doesnt bring anything new to the table, like promised and overall does not appear to be that good...
  Gdemami

Elite Member

4/28/12 9:33:46 AM#25

Originally posted by Chrome1980

No you were just trying to be pedantic even though a little bit of posting on these forums would show you that no reasonable amount of complaining would help you save from fans fury. Thing is people don't like to hear negative things about their favorite games no matter how maturily you conduct yourself.

I am not being pedantic, I pointed out clear distinction in opposition to your implication that everyone is labeled regardless.

Complaining about beta issues indeed represents ignorance of valid reasons for the issues thus making such attitude immature.

Giddian

Apprentice Member

4/28/12 9:34:24 AM#26
Originally posted by terrant
Originally posted by Giddian

I haven't been in the betas, so all I have to go by is the forum posts and such.

I will say this though, most "beta weekends" are not meant for extensive testing of bugs or game systems. They are simply stress tests.

I dissagree 100%. Towards the end of the series of Beta Weekends they wil make it open to the public {Like they have with Guild Wars} for the Sress test. This is a Beta Weekend NOT a stress test. It was posted nowhere it was a stress test.

And yet fans will insult you and flame you if you say it isn't a stress test.

Does it matter whether it is or isn't? It's a beta. It has problems. We play the game, we report the problem. Anet (hopefully) fixes the problems.

Exactly WHAT kind of beta event it is; whether it's stress testing, early beta bug testing, or just showing off a finished product to people, does not affect the above statement. We come in, we play, we report, they fix.

Stress Test basicly, the game is Finished and testing the servers, This is a Beta, Fixing bugs and Problems with the game. 2 Different monsters all together

TwoThreeFour

Apprentice Member

4/28/12 9:34:29 AM#27

This thread made me realize something:

"

Report this post

This post has already been reported

"

I didn't know that only one person could report a post :(.

baphamet

Hard Core Member

4/28/12 9:34:40 AM#28

Originally posted by TheCrow2k
lol, this is the norm now in MMO's. 99% of participants treat betas (happens in closed & open betas btw) as a free trial / demo. As a result the whinging is epic & the devs get no discernible increase in bug reports.....

the whining doesn't stop there, they are just as bad after launch. lol

it doesn't matter what game it is, some people don't seem to be happy unless they can cry about something on these forums.

i pretty much ignore every whine post that is ever created on every game unless i know its legit.

its the boy who cried wolf factor.

dubyahite

Novice Member

4/28/12 9:37:21 AM#29
I'll just add that anyone who's had any kind of extensive experience in mmo betas knows exactly what BWE events like this are.

They are one part stress test one part PR. There is no reasonable amount of actual "testing" outside of stress testing that can be accomplished in one weekend.

Every game does this. The devs aren't looking for you to find 40 bugs (other testers already found them). There is no way you can test much of the content in one weekend.

They aren't looking for your balance feedback either. You don't have enough time to really understand the game's balance.

They want people who can fulfill one requirement: have a pulse and hammer the servers during a relatively short window of condensed player activity. That's it. Don't fool yourselves into thinking you are squashing bugs or affecting game design during a test like this. It's simply not true.

Be the warm body they need you to be, and spread the hype they want you to spread (if you must).

Shadow's Hand Guild
Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

Chrome1980

Novice Member

4/28/12 9:38:08 AM#30
Originally posted by Gdemami

No you were just trying to be pedantic even though a little bit of posting on these forums would show you that no reasonable amount of complaining would help you save from fans fury. Thing is people don't like to hear negative things about their favorite games no matter how maturily you conduct yourself.

I am not being pedantic, I pointed out distinction in opposition to your implication that everyone is labeled regardless.

Complaining about beta issues indeed represents ignorance of valid reasons for the issue thus making such attitude immature.

So if a guy is unhappy with log in problems and he wants to discuss it with others he is an immature and a kid? so what are these forums for? just to join hands and prase GW2? because every complaint has some valid reason behind it. the real quesiton is do you have it in you to hear those complaints?  doubtful. Sorry bud but by supporting people like OP you are just showing your own immaturity.

bishbosh

Apprentice Member

4/28/12 9:39:30 AM#31

summary of OP:

beta tests are about reporting bugs/problems/issues with the game

IM MAD COS PEOPLE ARE DOING EXACTLY THAT AND THEREFORE THEY ARE IDIOTS

Skuz

Novice Member

"If you can''t laugh at yourself there''s always someone around to show you how it''s done!"

4/28/12 9:40:24 AM#32

What's with the exponential increase in Troll-bait thread titles lately?

jusomdude

Spotlight Poster

4/28/12 9:40:28 AM#33
Never pay to beta test.
  Onigod

Novice Member

4/28/12 9:46:55 AM#34

Im sure they havent changed the games graphics  or the questing system wich is just a simple attempt of making it look like its not the same old themepark game  when the game releases.

i dont like it and that is my opinion, If you do enjoy it please continue playing and have fun this is like saying i like red more then blue and someone else comes in and says NO i like blue more!  why cant you have ur own opinion and leave everyone alone that has another opinion.  this topic is so sad.

Chrome1980

Novice Member

4/28/12 9:48:29 AM#35

"Fixed the title since the trolls are reporting this as troll bait"

No it is still getting reported..because it is a troll bait.

Gdemami

Elite Member

4/28/12 10:08:30 AM#36

So if a guy is unhappy with log in problems and he wants to discuss it with others he is an immature and a kid?

Again, I pointed out the distinction between "unhappy immature kid" and person being unhappy.

You either read what I write and then you ask for further clarification if you do not understand some part of my argument, you bring some point countering mines or you just agree on disagreement.

Repeating same stuff over and over won't achieve anything nor helps to support your "point".

Zippy

Apprentice Member

4/28/12 10:12:27 AM#37

Taken fron the interwebs because I'm lazy....

"A beta version is the first version released outside the organization or community that develops the software, for the purpose of evaluation or real-world black/grey-box testing. The process of delivering a beta version to the users is called beta release. Beta level software is between 60% and 70% complete, generally includes all features, but may also include known issues and bugs of a less serious variety."

Issues are part of the improvement process. As a beta tester you are there to help find bugs and report issues so they can be taken care of. You are a TESTER of an unfinished product, its NOT a free trial.

Yeah sure your pre-purchase allowed you the privelage of getting to participate as a beta tester but that still dosent change a thing. Your a tester of an unfinished product and thats it.

So save the rage a tears for your momma or stay away from betas. Crashes, login issues when the flood gates are opened and bugs come with the territory, expecially with the volume of people trying to play this game.

"Fixed the title since the trolls are reporting this as troll bait"

That is all fine but this is not a beta.  There has been an ongoing beta since December where real testimg goes on.  This is an open beta marketing weekend designed to get people to buy the game.  These open beta weekends have nothing to do with testing or finding bugs except for stress testing which it appears it greaty needs.  These weekends are all about marketing and selling the game.

Loke666

Elite Member

4/28/12 10:15:26 AM#38
Originally posted by dubyahite
I'll just add that anyone who's had any kind of extensive experience in mmo betas knows exactly what BWE events like this are.

They are one part stress test one part PR. There is no reasonable amount of actual "testing" outside of stress testing that can be accomplished in one weekend.

Every game does this. The devs aren't looking for you to find 40 bugs (other testers already found them). There is no way you can test much of the content in one weekend.

They aren't looking for your balance feedback either. You don't have enough time to really understand the game's balance.

They want people who can fulfill one requirement: have a pulse and hammer the servers during a relatively short window of condensed player activity. That's it. Don't fool yourselves into thinking you are squashing bugs or affecting game design during a test like this. It's simply not true.

Be the warm body they need you to be, and spread the hype they want you to spread (if you must).

That´s just partly true, any MMO player can tell you that some bugs are really rare and they might find a few of those during the weekend with so many players. As for balance it will give them some more stats to look on, not in the mists but in the instanced PvP.

But yeah, mainly is it to test the server software, the patcher and the login server. But that is very important still, even if they could have used chimps as beta testers. Obviously do they need the testing, just look how the login server acted yesterday.

There is of course a commercial part to it that I wish they didn't use.

Chrome1980

Novice Member

4/28/12 10:17:42 AM#39
Originally posted by Gdemami

So if a guy is unhappy with log in problems and he wants to discuss it with others he is an immature and a kid?

Again, I pointed out the distinction between "unhappy immature kid" and person being unhappy.

You either read what I write and then you ask for further clarification if you do not understand some part of my argument, you bring some point countering mines or you just agree on disagreement.

Repeating same stuff over and over won't achieve anything nor helps to support your "point".

Isn't that what you are doing? repeating same thing over and over again? i still have to see an unhappy immature kid but people putting forward their complaints in mature manner (without any attacks on others)..and also i doubt your standards which you use to label people 'kids'.

You seem more interested in discussing players and not the game.

Gdemami

Elite Member

4/28/12 10:23:13 AM#40

Isn't that what you are doing? repeatign same thing over and over again?

The difference is you are repeating something that was already addressed, and I would say also well pointed out as flawed...

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » Search