Trending Games | Landmark | Star Citizen | Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade | Guild Wars 2

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,920,323 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,311,277
ArenaNet | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 08/28/12)  | Pub:NCSoft
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$49.99 | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC Mac | Out of date info? Let us know!

Guild Wars 2 Forum » General Discussion » Dynamic Questing Question?

13 posts found
  Thorbrand

Novice Member

OP  4/05/12 1:36:20 PM#1

I hope someone has an answer to this.

Let's say the Dynamic quests have challenge levels: 1-10.

Solo challenge level 1.

2 man party a challenge level of 3.

5 man party a challenge level of 6.

10 man party challenge level of 10.

I know more mobs spawn the more people but I wanted to know if the challenge level of the event also went up to require better group play the more people you have. Not too hard for 2 people to complete since there will be less teamwork versuses 10 people who would have to work as a team more than a small group of two.

I would find that to be a very big plus in the game and it would promote grouping without effecting solo play.

BeansnBread

Hard Core Member

4/05/12 1:40:02 PM#2

Yeah, I know total biscuit was talking about how the Dynamic Events scaled in difficulty with how many people were part of the event. Sometimes there would be more things as well as having the bigger things get much harder through damage output and healthpool.

SWTOR is the greatest mmo ever!

freston

Novice Member

4/05/12 1:43:58 PM#3

I doubt they have each and every DE in the game so finely tuned.  

From wht ive read, the encounters tend to scale nicely with small groups, not so much with big ones, except the elite ones , which kind of imply a big group from the beginning. You cant think about DE in terms of raids, no matter how big the group is... I guess many of the scaling problems for DE come from the game being in beta stage. Thats the kind of thing that benefits from playtesting-

Lord.Bachus

Elite Member

I believe in life before death... So dont forget to enjoy it while you still can.

4/05/12 1:45:39 PM#4

I think there is some dynamics in the scaling of events, making every chainevent scale a bit differently

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

natuxatu

Spotlight Poster

Bookah

4/05/12 1:57:59 PM#5

Some scale but regardless it's goign to be easier with more people which is intended.. they don't want to punish people fro grouping together. They've stated before that dungeons (explorable mode, not story mode) is where the biggest challenge will lie.

Lord.Bachus

Elite Member

I believe in life before death... So dont forget to enjoy it while you still can.

4/05/12 2:07:25 PM#6
Originally posted by natuxatu

Some scale but regardless it's goign to be easier with more people which is intended.. they don't want to punish people fro grouping together. They've stated before that dungeons (explorable mode, not story mode) is where the biggest challenge will lie.

Also most of the bigger ones will require a certain amount of people to make a chance to succeed.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

F0rumLurker

Apprentice Member

4/05/12 3:22:55 PM#7
Originally posted by natuxatu

I don't think they want the events to get easier in difficulty with more people. I think ideally they want events to stay at the same difficulty for each person whether it be solo or 15+ people.

One of my concerns with GW2 was on how well the scalability of the game would be and if it would have approximately the same difficulty with more people participating in events. Some of TB's few criticisms of GW2 included this concern, but hopefully with more BWE they can adjust the scalability algorithms to near perfection before release.

cyress8

Novice Member

BOOYAKA!

4/05/12 3:35:23 PM#8

Originally posted by Thorbrand
I hope someone has an answer to this.
Let's say the Dynamic quests have challenge levels: 1-10.
Solo challenge level 1.
2 man party a challenge level of 3.
5 man party a challenge level of 6.
10 man party challenge level of 10.
I know more mobs spawn the more people but I wanted to know if the challenge level of the event also went up to require better group play the more people you have. Not too hard for 2 people to complete since there will be less teamwork versuses 10 people who would have to work as a team more than a small group of two.
I would find that to be a very big plus in the game and it would promote grouping without effecting solo play.

I've noticed some events will usually toss in more condition causing mobs and some start to hit harder once more people come. Also, they sometimes start to completely surround you once the DE is in full swing.

P.S. Ettins are big ass bastards!

BOOYAKA!

Thorbrand

Novice Member

OP  4/05/12 3:51:51 PM#9

Thank you for all your responses. I understand they don't want it to be harder to get through the content but some people group for the more challenging content, it would be great if it worked that way but I think that is something we won't see until maybe a future game implements it.

It would be great for the solo people, small groups and the people who like to run in large groups for greater challenges. It would cater to every play style I would think.

I am more a Older MMO player always looking for a game with hard challenging more tactical content. We will have to see what GW2 offers. No offense but I haven't seen anything that puts it at the level I would like to see. Not saying the whole game needs to be hard or that the game doesn't look very fun and interesting.

Adalwulff

Apprentice Member

"I am not the light, or the darkness, but the twilight in between"

4/08/12 6:43:14 PM#10
Originally posted by Thorbrand

Thank you for all your responses. I understand they don't want it to be harder to get through the content but some people group for the more challenging content, it would be great if it worked that way but I think that is something we won't see until maybe a future game implements it.

It would be great for the solo people, small groups and the people who like to run in large groups for greater challenges. It would cater to every play style I would think.

I am more a Older MMO player always looking for a game with hard challenging more tactical content. We will have to see what GW2 offers. No offense but I haven't seen anything that puts it at the level I would like to see. Not saying the whole game needs to be hard or that the game doesn't look very fun and interesting.

I heard something about the dungeons possibly getting a difficulty slider for that challenge you want, above the scaling.

Master10K

Apprentice Member

4/08/12 7:36:02 PM#11
Originally posted by Adalwulff
*snip*

I heard something about the dungeons possibly getting a difficulty slider for that challenge you want, above the scaling.

And that's just something you made up. All you can do is complete a dungeon in story mode (easy mode), in order to unlock its explorable mode (ragequit mode). No difficulty sliders or scaling involved, because they are intended for 5-mans and a tuned as such.

Adalwulff

Apprentice Member

"I am not the light, or the darkness, but the twilight in between"

4/09/12 12:48:58 AM#12
Originally posted by Master10K
Originally posted by Adalwulff
*snip*

And that's just something you made up. All you can do is complete a dungeon in story mode (easy mode), in order to unlock its explorable mode (ragequit mode). No difficulty sliders or scaling involved, because they are intended for 5-mans and a tuned as such.

Dude relax...lol.. I said it was just something I heard.

It was commentary in one of the hundreds of videos Ive seen, cant remember which one. And I couldnt remember if it was something he wanted to see put into the game, or if it was already there or Anet was working on it.

Im pretty sure this mechanic exists in other games, it would be cool for GW2 to have it, for the players who like epic dungeon crawls.

Ishoa

Novice Member

4/09/12 1:24:51 AM#13
Not sure if someone else mentioned this but one thing to note is that mobs will gain more abilities sometimes depending on the number of people fighting it.. So if your fighting something with 10 people it will have more health but it also might have an AoE attack that it didn't have when you were fighting it with 1 or 2 people