Trending Games | WildStar | Neverwinter | Star Wars: The Old Republic | Elder Scrolls Online

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,640,083 Users Online:0
Games:681  Posts:6,074,721
ArenaNet | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 08/28/12)  | Pub:NCSoft
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$49.99 | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC Mac | Out of date info? Let us know!

Guild Wars 2 Forum » General Discussion » Did ArenaNet make a mistake in naming this game as 'Guild Wars'2?

5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 » Search
85 posts found
  jpnz

Hard Core Member

OP  2/28/12 3:49:56 AM#1

With the GW2 information dump happening right now there are all sorts of thoughts flowing through this community.

One of the more surprizing one is the response when people are saying 'I didn't like GW1 therefore I won't buy GW2'. The response from some section of this community is that 'This game is nothing like GW1 and therefore should not be compared to it'.

Should ArenaNet have named this game as 'ArenaNet's next-gen game' or something rather than GW2 so that people will judge this game on its own merits?

I think it is perfectly reasonable for someone to think this game is kinda similar to the original 'Guild Wars'.

When I bought Civilization5, I thought it'll be kinda similar to Civilization4.

When I bought Simcity4, I thought it'll be kinda similar to Simcity 3000.

Gdemami -
Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

Kidon

Apprentice Member

www.Aordem.net we care

2/28/12 3:53:49 AM#2

I used that same answer to the same question, but then i started looking around searching and understood the retarded i was being, GW2 is awsome.

Zeus.CM

Novice Member

www.croatian-maniacs.com

2/28/12 4:04:45 AM#3

People who say I didn't like gw1 therefor I won't like gw2 are just ignorant and won't admit the fact how different gw2 and gw1 will be. The only thing they share is lore (and because of the lore and probably because arenanet is very proud of gw1, they called it gw2). Even the world is changed, some land mass shifted and transformed because of elder dragons etc. Also, guilds are big part of guild wars 2. Those are like small communities inside it. Also, because in WvW the best guilds can control teritories in WvW (keeps, towers...) there will some competitivenes between guilds, and only the best ones will have the honor to put their flag on the keep so everyone can see.

Jimmy562

Elite Member

2/28/12 4:04:58 AM#4

All depends on the marketing. If they can get it in peoples faces and make them look at it they will be fine in that regard.

jpnz

Hard Core Member

OP  2/28/12 4:06:28 AM#5

This thread isn't questioning the quality of GW2.

It is questioning if the community thinks this game should have been named something else.

Apparently comparing GW2 to GW1 is not something this community will accept which is a bit bizzare.

Gdemami -
Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

MumboJumbo

Hard Core Member

Veni, Vidi, Converti

2/28/12 4:07:20 AM#6

The 2 dragon logo is too awesome/convenient! + buy in from gw players:

pratikrath86

Novice Member

2/28/12 4:07:40 AM#7
Originally posted by jpnz

With the GW2 information dump happening right now there are all sorts of thoughts flowing through this community.

One of the more surprizing one is the response when people are saying 'I didn't like GW1 therefore I won't buy GW2'. The response from some section of this community is that 'This game is nothing like GW1 and therefore should not be compared to it'.

Should ArenaNet have named this game as 'ArenaNet's next-gen game' or something rather than GW2 so that people will judge this game on its own merits?

I think it is perfectly reasonable for someone to think this game is kinda similar to the original 'Guild Wars'.

They named it Guild wars 2 cause it continues with the lore story of Guild wars 1. A new named game needs to have a new story new characters. This game is a sequel to the story not gameplay.

also not many have heard of the expression "never judge a book by its cover"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtNNiZe6rXk

causs

Hard Core Member

http://nl.twitch.tv/chazerx

2/28/12 4:12:21 AM#8

I get what you're saying. I also have a few friends who say; "Meh, Guild Wars, I didn't really like the first one." It is up to us fellow gamers to make them turnnn!

All kidding aside, I do understand where you're coming from. I just think people have to be a little open and at least watch some trailers or previews.

causs Xfire Miniprofile
  Vesavius

Old School

Players come for the game, but they stay for the people- Most Devs have forgotten this.

2/28/12 4:14:05 AM#9

You have a valid point.

rojo6934

Elite Member

"It is double pleasure to deceive the deceiver". - Niccolo Machiavelli

2/28/12 4:25:49 AM#10
Originally posted by thedarkess

People who say I didn't like gw1 therefor I won't like gw2 are just ignorant and won't admit the fact how different gw2 and gw1 will be. The only thing they share is lore (and because of the lore and probably because arenanet is very proud of gw1, they called it gw2).

i was going to say this same thing.

GW2 is a brand new and totally different game built to continue the Story behind GW1.

Sometimes i think some people think that ANET would grab GW1 and add some extra features in there then call it GW2..... then they judge it by their experience with GW1. hehe....

"in peace, in sleep under the barren, abandoned soil"

Kyuz0o

Novice Member

2/28/12 4:27:04 AM#11

ArenaNet isn`t blizzard you know where doing any game with a 2 behind it means: Take the original, overhaul graphics, add some stuff and you`re done.

People who don`t even look at GW2 because they didn`t like GW1 will miss out, so it`s their loss.

arji

Novice Member

2/28/12 4:35:39 AM#12

They care to continue their good fame. GW1 was new and nice for its season( i havent played it). Gw2 its new and nice for this season(i am gonna play it). Arenanet is known for their quality design and new ideas (cant say the same for Ncsoft). 

So i havent playd GW1 but couse i am many years gamer i searched the market and learn for this game and its features.

For ppl that wont get it couse they havents informed right, well their bad they ll miss a great game.

If GW2 sells at least 2 million copies(and things seems that they will) gonna keep offering us a great game with quality upgrades. If they sell a lot more they ll invent in a future more quality games that will be good for everyone.

PS: 2 million copies its just an example. More right its if they sells X copies that will make the company to have profit.

moosecatlol

Apprentice Member

2/28/12 4:42:20 AM#13

When I bought Half-Life, I kinda of expected it to be like Half-Life 2...  sorry. :(

fiontar

Hard Core Member

2/28/12 4:45:30 AM#14

They maybe should have given it some other name, but it's too late now. :)

The game will stand on it's merits and if it's as successful as I believe it will be, many people who were initially put off by the title will likely come around as positive word of mouth spreads.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

Cod_Eye

Advanced Member

2/28/12 5:01:56 AM#15

I brought this up in another thread due to some responses from some forum users saying they didnt like GW and that reflects there decision not to like GW2.

I can understand Anets reasoning for calling it GW2 and that there is class and Lore brought over to GW2 including map names.  Though there again should people be taking the steps to read up on the game before passing judgement?

I guess some people will be close minded, we as a race will never escape that.  In repect of other members that dont like GW2 some have done their research and have valid concerns and even some of them are shared by some GW2 fans including myself.

Maybe they should of called it another title but then after you read about the game some people would shout out that it should of been called GW2.  Whatever Anet does or say it wont be able to do anything right for doing wrong in some peoples eyes.

Personally I think calling it GW2 was the right decision, though reading some posts makes me think otherwise.

[video]http://xivpads.com/?Cod-Eye-Ragnarok[/video]

Xthos

Elite Member

2/28/12 5:07:59 AM#16

You are correct, it should of been named Guild Wars 3.

sanshi44

Advanced Member

2/28/12 5:29:29 AM#17

Those type of people are just ignorant and the gam would be better without them so it realy doesnt bother me.

thekid1

Novice Member

2/28/12 5:32:16 AM#18

Yes: Guild Wars wasn't a real mmorpg so people might think 2 isn't either.

No: Guild Wars has gotten a lot of positive talk in all these years so for name recognitizion is is a good idea calling it Guild Wars 2.

I'd say it was a smart move calling it Guild Wars 2. Especially because it actually IS Guild Wars 2; set in the same universe.

Unlight

Novice Member

2/28/12 5:48:14 AM#19

Some people didn't like the original and will be turned off, sight unseen, by the name.  But GW1 was also extremely successful on it's own, so that many more people are going to see the name in a positive light.  Even if you personally didn't like the original, it did very well and continues to do so.  Try to remember, there are a lot of us that see that old game in a very positive light.  For me, it remains the funnest MMO I've played (yeah MMO - stuff the semantics).

As for those with a negative first impression because they disliked the original, the facts about the new game and how different it is from its predecessor are going to be thrown in their face from all the talk about it.  They can continue to *choose* to dislike it based their impressions of GW1, but it will be an act of stubborness and not ignorance.  I think it will be a rare person who mistakenly believes that GW2 is just like GW1 when the real marketing push begins.

Master10K

Apprentice Member

2/28/12 5:54:05 AM#20

Nope, I don't think they did anything wrong by naming it as the successor to Guild Wars. The only ones in the wrong are those that dismiss this title, as something exactly like Guild Wars. In the end lots of people will play this game and those people will tell their friends and by the end of it, even those naysayers would have bought Guild Wars 2, to see what all the fuss is about.

5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 » Search