Trending Games | ArcheAge | Guild Wars 2 | WildStar | World of Warcraft

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,785,701 Users Online:0
Games:723  Posts:6,192,931
NCSoft Austin | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 04/27/04)  | Pub:NCSoft
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

Lineage II Forum » Giran (General) » Another failed P2P gone F2P

3 Pages « 1 2 3 » Search
52 posts found
  Stalkerous

Novice Member

4/26/12 11:08:29 PM#21
Someone JUST realized that L2 went F2P, when it's been months. AION is the one that recently went F2P as well. Both of the games are okay. Going F2P never=FAIL, it's actually a big WIN for the company since they have in game item shops and people spend more than $15 a months on the games now due to the in game item shops.

IrishChai

Advanced Member

4/26/12 11:18:25 PM#22
Originally posted by Stalkerous
Someone JUST realized that L2 went F2P, when it's been months. AION is the one that recently went F2P as well. Both of the games are okay. Going F2P never=FAIL, it's actually a big WIN for the company since they have in game item shops and people spend more than $15 a months on the games now due to the in game item shops.

Bad ass bleach sig man. 

As for L2/Aion F2P, I completely agree with Stalk as quoted. Aion's F2P appears to be a huge success because I see players everywhere now, and a lot of those players have new outfits, pets, weapons, wings, etc. showing the popularity of the kinds of things you find on the cash shop. The LFG channel is flooded with groups. Different guilds are spamming chat channels with offers/invites. The game looks better than ever since the recent graphics upgrade and a stable 64-bit client, and the questing structure assisted by the new "Aion Atlas" are great new additions.

I haven't been back to L2 just because of lack of time, but if the increased popularity of Aion is any sign of a successful F2P structure, I'm sure L2 is healthier because of it too.

Stalkerous

Novice Member

4/26/12 11:29:17 PM#23
Originally posted by IrishChai

Bad ass bleach sig man. 

As for L2/Aion F2P, I completely agree with Stalk as quoted. Aion's F2P appears to be a huge success because I see players everywhere now, and a lot of those players have new outfits, pets, weapons, wings, etc. showing the popularity of the kinds of things you find on the cash shop. The LFG channel is flooded with groups. Different guilds are spamming chat channels with offers/invites. The game looks better than ever since the recent graphics upgrade and a stable 64-bit client, and the questing structure assisted by the new "Aion Atlas" are great new additions.

I haven't been back to L2 just because of lack of time, but if the increased popularity of Aion is any sign of a successful F2P structure, I'm sure L2 is healthier because of it too.

Thanks.

As to what you said about AION, it's very true. It got way better with the new graphical engine after they switched to Unreal engine, and Atlas is just like L2s Path to Awakning. You get bonuses(Gear set, potion, stones, weapons, etc..)  every few lvls or for doing some elite or hard quests.

But L2 community got a bit meaner since it went F2P, so many people pking now more than ever. I'm stuck at lvl 76 in L2 right since the spots where I need to lvl are over run by lvl 99 ppl. I still play the game sometimes though and try to lvl up slowly. Hope L2 gets better, only if the devs would get better GMs those that can instant ban botters and gold farmers, those are the biggest pkers in game now.

Konfess

Advanced Member

4/27/12 1:07:45 PM#24

I totally forgot about the open world PK.  I gotta remember to point this out whenever people start crying for more OWPvP.  I doubt gold farmers are PKing, unless it's PK first before they get PKed.  I had two friends that bought L2, and they were desperate to get a third to team with.  Ever other player they came across PKed first and asked questions later.  I watched them play in their 20's and 30's and I think they hit a wall around 60's or 70's and quit playing.

As for fail, L1 & L2 were the second and third largest MMORPGs in the world for many years.  The company made money.  These two games probably paid for the development of GW2, and the buyout of ArenaNet by NCsoft.  Calling this game a fail is ridiculing the years of scucess.

Pardon any spelling errors
Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
Mom: We don't talk to Priests.

Juiceman

Advanced Member

4/27/12 1:11:32 PM#25
I have to feed the troll to say, don't feed the troll.
  snapfusion

Apprentice Member

OP  4/27/12 3:50:19 PM#26
I will say the same thing about Wow when it finally converts......... 
  stayontarget

Guide

Girlfriends come and go but Epic battles are Soulbound

4/27/12 3:53:36 PM#27
Originally posted by Panther2103
Failed p2p. Yet it lasted 7 years before it went f2p? Are you smoking something? It was a really, really well liked game by it's fanbase, which wasn't small, until it went F2P, which even then each of the servers had something like 1700 logged in at all times. Which is enough to run the game at least.

+1

7 years before switching over is dam impressive.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

Jabas

Hard Core Member

4/30/12 8:17:07 AM#28

L2 has 2 big problems that interfear with players base during this years:

Bots: They really interfear with players gameplay and game experience. In 2006 i leave L2 because they really ruin my game experience. Like me im sure was alot more ppl during this years that at some point quit because of them.

Private Servers: A NCSoft problem but also means less ppl on official servers and everyone knows that any mmo can only be fun with at least medium population, and L2 can only be fun with high population on servers.

Even with this big problems L2 allways have a solid player base all this years.

And now L2 is tottaly F2P and that means more ppl playing on servers. Alot of them come from private servers. Alot of ppl playing on private servers suport them with some donations, now they play official and "donations" goes to NCSoft. And servers  are alive with full of players.

About Bots, at least untill lvl 87 i havent had any problems related with them. No idea at higher lvls.

I know this tittle thread is trolling, but just want to point that this change was a good one to L2, imo.

tdarkone

Novice Member

6/24/12 3:00:37 PM#29
Originally posted by snapfusion
I will say the same thing about Wow when it finally converts......... 

And the obvious troll becomes even more obvious.

Laughing-man

Elite Member

I thought what I'd do is I'd pretend I was one of those Deaf-mutes.

6/24/12 3:09:19 PM#30

#1.  Free to play does not equal failure

#2.  Lineage II had one of the largest customer bases of any online game EVER.

#3.  Lineage is considered one of the grandfathers of the mmo genre, it is respected, it is looked at as a shining example of what old school mmos were.  

L2 is the furthest thing from a failure...

Its LITERALLY a shining example of a success.

Vesavius

Old School

Players come for the game, but they stay for the people- Most Devs have forgotten this.

6/24/12 3:11:32 PM#31

I disgree with your statement. Aion DID fail and, and I say that having played it a lot and having some affection for the game.

It won (at launch), then failed (the months following), then won (the F2P launch), and, in the EU anyhow, is now failing again...

If anything, the game only really goes to prove that although F2P may get you an influx of new players at the start, unless you have the game in place they won't stick around either.

because you know why?

A broken game remains a broken game, no matter what the revenue model.

ste2000

Advanced Member

6/24/12 3:17:47 PM#32

Aion took 1 year to go F2P, Lineage 2 took 7 years..............

I am not a L2 fan but calling it a failure is not entirely appropriate.

Soandsoso

Elite Member

6/24/12 3:20:23 PM#33

The only thing that all the failed pvp games share is the players.

baphamet

Hard Core Member

6/24/12 3:22:07 PM#34

i guess EQ1 was a failure too then since it went F2p?

this thread is the failure.

mrw0lf

Novice Member

6/24/12 3:22:27 PM#35

It didn't fail it went for along time, reached the end of it's life, then they stick it on f2p to get some of those scam bucks. Whereas games used to just die, they are now kept on life support with f2p mugs being nickle and dimed.

-----
“The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

korent1991

Elite Member

6/24/12 3:28:32 PM#36

It just makes me laugh when I see what people are saying on this forum without even bothering to check out some of the facts... :D 

ah well...

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
-------------------------------

LachyFTW

Apprentice Member

6/26/12 9:54:23 PM#37

Good old L2 I will never have as much fun with any game as I had with this one, pvping for hours while waiting for baium, antharas or even valakas to spawn.

AliceKaye

Novice Member

The rantings and ramblings of an MMO addict…

6/26/12 9:55:47 PM#38
Originally posted by Panther2103
Failed p2p. Yet it lasted 7 years before it went f2p? Are you smoking something? It was a really, really well liked game by it's fanbase, which wasn't small, until it went F2P, which even then each of the servers had something like 1700 logged in at all times. Which is enough to run the game at least.

Thank you. You just said exactly what I was going to type up.

Reizla

Elite Member

MMORPGs are no longer about the mass multi-user anymore *sadly*

7/01/12 8:08:08 AM#39
Originally posted by Mannish
Lineage 2 will forever go down as one of the most succsesfull mmos in history. This is just pure ignorance.

Indeed it will Mannish. Partly because of the HUGE amount of 'private servers' out there, and partly because you and me supported the official servers for years.

Demigoth's RPG adventures ~ My blog

AsRock 990FX Extreme3
AMD Phenom II 1090T ~3.2Ghz
GEiL 16Gb DDR3 1600Mhz
GTX660 SLI (ASUS/EVGA)
Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion

User Deleted
7/01/12 8:11:53 AM#40

Tried it a while back.  Looked great, even ran pretty well.  I just had too much problem with the controls.  Compared to conventional controls, it felt awkward.

3 Pages « 1 2 3 » Search