Trending Games | Rift | ArcheAge | Firefall | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,775,207 Users Online:0
Games:722  Posts:6,189,877
Turbine, Inc. | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 04/24/07)  | Pub:Midway Games
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:$14.99
System Req: PC Mac | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

Lord of the Rings Online Forum » General Discussion » What's a fun class to level?

10 posts found
  User Deleted

OP  1/19/13 8:35:34 PM#1

I know it depends on your own preferences and preferred playstyle, but I've read that certain classes are really hard/boring to level at certain parts of the game. Of course, I will probably try a few classes out to see how they feel to me. But I would also like to get some input from those of you who have leveled in this game. 

Personally, I enjoy tanking, healing, or dps-ing. It doesn't matter to me. I usually roll a tank, but sometimes that can be tough to level (depending on the game). Also, I don't know how many people are running dungeons at the lower levels, etc. Any insight here, as well as any pros/cons for different classes, would also be appreciated. 

Ice-Queen

Apprentice Member

"Always borrow money from a pessimist. They won't expect it back."

1/19/13 8:44:19 PM#2
I haven't played in a year or so but I use to love my Minstrel.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
Dark Age of Camelot

tv2zulu

Novice Member

1/19/13 8:46:13 PM#3

Sounds like Warden is right up your alley. Does a mix of everything you like :)

Warden is great for leveling, but if you don't like the class, a straight up tank like Guardion can level fine as well.

TorreyH

Novice Member

1/20/13 1:40:09 AM#4
I have enjoyed playing a Hunter.  Pretty much a straight-forward DPS class, with some nice abilities for soloing.  They have tracking, which is very useful for finding quest targets and NPC's.  And they have the ability to teleport to many locations in the game, which cuts down greatly on travel time.  They can even set a teleport point at campfires, scattered around the landscape, and only Hunters can do this.  The combat is a nice mix of melee and ranged, though you do the most damage with a bow, by far.  They can use traps to root and snare enemies, and have some  AOE attacks as well.  Been a fun class for me.
  MMOGamer71

Advanced Member

1/20/13 1:42:46 AM#5
Warden and Hunter are my favorites.
  Heafstagg

Advanced Member

1/20/13 2:00:40 AM#6

Captain is great fun end-game but a chore to level up. Lore-masters are in the same boat but not as bad. Champion is kind of fun but fairly repetative. Gaurdian roughly the same as champion you just kill stuff slower. Rune-master, warden, hunter and burglar I found to be enjoyable all around though the burglar at the start can be somewhat difficult to trudge though.

For the most part, all the classes have some drawbacks but each class has something that makes it unique and fun to level. Leveling in LOTRO is fun no matter what class you play I'd say. Have fun :D.

Thenextbigthing

Apprentice Member

1/20/13 8:08:20 AM#7
Originally posted by PWN_FACE

I know it depends on your own preferences and preferred playstyle, but I've read that certain classes are really hard/boring to level at certain parts of the game. Of course, I will probably try a few classes out to see how they feel to me. But I would also like to get some input from those of you who have leveled in this game. 

Personally, I enjoy tanking, healing, or dps-ing. It doesn't matter to me. I usually roll a tank, but sometimes that can be tough to level (depending on the game). Also, I don't know how many people are running dungeons at the lower levels, etc. Any insight here, as well as any pros/cons for different classes, would also be appreciated. 

It's so soloable now that pretty much all classes can adopt two roles at least. I can either heal or dps with my Minstrel, my Guardian can tank but also has pretty good dps with Overpower. If you want fast DPS warrior go for Champion, and tanking dps Warden. If you like being a meat shield and not worried about taking too long to kill stuff then go Guardian. Rune Keeper is nice nuker but a bit fragile, although they do have good self heals and party support, as do Lore-Masters. If you like pets, then Lore Master or Captain. If you like buffing and grouping, go Captain.

Levelling is very easy no matter what class you play, so much so that they have just introduced tokens to turn off levelling so that you can get deeds and epics done without out-levelling all your quest zones. All classes can self-heal to some degree or have skills that allow them to get out of trouble, but Minstrel is still primary healer.

Like you say, it depends on play style. Sounds to me like you might prefer Guardian, Warden or Captain. Personally i'd give them all a go and see what you think.

I haven't played Hunter or Burgler much, but I have a friend who loves his Hunter's ranged dps but gets frustrated at their lack of melee survivability.

User Deleted

OP  1/20/13 8:52:31 PM#8
Originally posted by Thenextbigthing

It's so soloable now that pretty much all classes can adopt two roles at least. I can either heal or dps with my Minstrel, my Guardian can tank but also has pretty good dps with Overpower. If you want fast DPS warrior go for Champion, and tanking dps Warden. If you like being a meat shield and not worried about taking too long to kill stuff then go Guardian. Rune Keeper is nice nuker but a bit fragile, although they do have good self heals and party support, as do Lore-Masters. If you like pets, then Lore Master or Captain. If you like buffing and grouping, go Captain.

Levelling is very easy no matter what class you play, so much so that they have just introduced tokens to turn off levelling so that you can get deeds and epics done without out-levelling all your quest zones. All classes can self-heal to some degree or have skills that allow them to get out of trouble, but Minstrel is still primary healer.

Like you say, it depends on play style. Sounds to me like you might prefer Guardian, Warden or Captain. Personally i'd give them all a go and see what you think.

I haven't played Hunter or Burgler much, but I have a friend who loves his Hunter's ranged dps but gets frustrated at their lack of melee survivability.

Thanks for the responses, everyone!

I got 5 character slots, so I' m playing around with a few fun classes. I have put the most time into the hunter and guardian. The guardian combat seems to be faster than I remembered it from before. I don't know what they did (if anything) to rebalance combat. I'm having fun with all the classes I've played so far and I can see that the game has a changed a lot since I last  tried it. 

Thenextbigthing

Apprentice Member

1/23/13 12:04:52 PM#9
Originally posted by Thenextbigthing

Thanks for the responses, everyone!

I got 5 character slots, so I' m playing around with a few fun classes. I have put the most time into the hunter and guardian. The guardian combat seems to be faster than I remembered it from before. I don't know what they did (if anything) to rebalance combat. I'm having fun with all the classes I've played so far and I can see that the game has a changed a lot since I last  tried it. 

You're right, Guardian combat is much faster since the Rohan expansion, even with a 2h wep. Guardians benefitted most from RoR and got a revamp.

Use Overpower for greater dps, speeds up combat much more if you're soloing.

achesoma

Apprentice Member

1/23/13 12:13:28 PM#10
Been a little while since I played but loremaster was my favorite overall.  You have a little bit of everything.  It's an awesome CC class but can also dps.  LM also has pets, some heals, and power restore abilities.  I admit it's slow at first but greatly improves in fun factor when you get around level 20.  And it just keeps on getting better from then on.