Trending Games | WildStar | Elder Scrolls Online | ArcheAge | Guild Wars 2

  Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,642,724 Users Online:0
Games:681  Posts:6,076,527
Turbine, Inc. | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 04/24/07)  | Pub:Midway Games
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:$14.99
System Req: PC Mac | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

Lord of the Rings Online Forum » General Discussion » Christopher Tolkien speaks out after 40 years...

11 Pages First « 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 » Last Search
218 posts found
  Scarfe

Apprentice Member

Joined: 12/21/12
Posts: 287

12/30/12 10:20:11 AM#101
Originally posted by Flaming_MMO
That is a question I cannot answer.  I am sure there are some out there, but they probably would not post much to begin with.

you lost me mate- sorry was being slow, gotcha now.

 

currently playing: DDO, AOC, WoT, P101

  Flaming_MMO

Novice Member

Joined: 2/13/12
Posts: 141

12/30/12 10:21:38 AM#102
Originally posted by Scarfe
Originally posted by Flaming_MMO
That is a question I cannot answer.  I am sure there are some out there, but they probably would not post much to begin with.

you lost me mate

 

 Lol, I forgot to hit the quote button.  Sorry about that.

  grimfall

Novice Member

Joined: 4/25/07
Posts: 1147

12/30/12 10:22:20 AM#103
Originally posted by Rhoklaw
Far as I'm concerned, Peter Jackson is a brilliant director and while his movies may be more action oriented then the books portrayed, you can't tell me the movies didn't do the books justice. The amount of detail Peter went to with environment, costumes and story flow is probably as good as your going to get. Christopher is a pompous brat and I hope he chokes on his wad of money.

I think Tolkein was wrong about the Lord of the Rings Trilogy, but correct (in his prediction) regarding The Hobbit.  Jackson added combat, took songs out, and added entirely new story elements to add even more combat into it.

  MumboJumbo

Hard Core Member

Joined: 7/18/10
Posts: 3067

Veni, Vidi, Converti

12/30/12 10:24:15 AM#104
Originally posted by evilastro
Originally posted by Flaming_MMO

His opinion is meaningless to me.  Did he ever even write a book?  Did any of the Tolkien kids/grandkids take up J.R.R.'s legacy and start writing more books in the Lord Of the Rings universe? 

I would take his opinion seriously if he was like Brian Herbert (Frank Herberts son) who actually continued writing more Dune books (and still writes them) after Frank Herbert died.

 Christopher was the editor of all his fathers posthumous work. Notably he put together The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, The History of Middle-earth and The Children of Húrin from his fathers old notes. He also helped his father prepare LOTR.

While I think his opinions on the movies is silly, he is undoubtably the most knowledgeable living person regarding his fathers work.

The Silmarillion is awesome in general imo: When comparing to the LOTRs makes the LOTRs sort of fractal sub-story.

(That innuendo joke was well played earlier).

  Scarfe

Apprentice Member

Joined: 12/21/12
Posts: 287

12/30/12 10:25:12 AM#105
Originally posted by grimfall
Originally posted by Rhoklaw
Far as I'm concerned, Peter Jackson is a brilliant director and while his movies may be more action oriented then the books portrayed, you can't tell me the movies didn't do the books justice. The amount of detail Peter went to with environment, costumes and story flow is probably as good as your going to get. Christopher is a pompous brat and I hope he chokes on his wad of money.

I think Tolkein was wrong about the Lord of the Rings Trilogy, but correct (in his prediction) regarding The Hobbit.  Jackson added combat, took songs out, and added entirely new story elements to add even more combat into it.

Anyone seen it?  I saw a terrible review, stretched out insanely.  Now I read the book at about 12 which was a long tim ago, have no urge to see the film.  Dam the last prequels I can think of- shit they were.

 

currently playing: DDO, AOC, WoT, P101

  Thornrage

Comfortably Numb

Joined: 12/26/07
Posts: 487

Why kill them with kindness, when I can use an axe?

12/30/12 10:27:53 AM#106
Originally posted by Panther2103
The movies had plenty of story involved in them, they had a majority of the action scenes of the books because of the fact that if they made the movie exactly how the book was page for page, it would have been 15 hours long for one book if even that short. So they take the parts of the books, explain the story in a faster manner, and have the major action scenes. I don't see the issue. It wasn't marketed as an action film. I think the hobbit had maybe 4 or 5 actual action scenes that lasted more than 30 seconds. They always have been very slow, and that turns quite a few people I know off of the films. The environments in the films, and the way all of the characters look and act are exactly how I expected them to be in movie form. 

 

+1

There are things not in the movies that were in the books that I miss, but all-in-all, the movies did the story well. I was pleased.

  Scarfe

Apprentice Member

Joined: 12/21/12
Posts: 287

12/30/12 10:29:38 AM#107
Originally posted by Thornrage
Originally posted by Panther2103
The movies had plenty of story involved in them, they had a majority of the action scenes of the books because of the fact that if they made the movie exactly how the book was page for page, it would have been 15 hours long for one book if even that short. So they take the parts of the books, explain the story in a faster manner, and have the major action scenes. I don't see the issue. It wasn't marketed as an action film. I think the hobbit had maybe 4 or 5 actual action scenes that lasted more than 30 seconds. They always have been very slow, and that turns quite a few people I know off of the films. The environments in the films, and the way all of the characters look and act are exactly how I expected them to be in movie form. 

 

+1

There are things not in the movies that were in the books that I miss, but all-in-all, the movies did the story well. I was pleased.

They could have been awful.  The first film, the horse chase was amazing, then got a bit CGI heavy for me. 

currently playing: DDO, AOC, WoT, P101

  fascism

Hard Core Member

Joined: 4/05/12
Posts: 300

12/30/12 10:30:08 AM#108
and  then he drove away in his new BMW to his mansion and it was ok
  Scarfe

Apprentice Member

Joined: 12/21/12
Posts: 287

12/30/12 10:31:32 AM#109
Originally posted by fascism
and  then he drove away in his new BMW to his mansion and it was ok

explain?

currently playing: DDO, AOC, WoT, P101

  fascism

Hard Core Member

Joined: 4/05/12
Posts: 300

12/30/12 10:32:17 AM#110
Originally posted by Scarfe
Originally posted by fascism
and  then he drove away in his new BMW to his mansion and it was ok

explain?

 

he's rich?

  Scarfe

Apprentice Member

Joined: 12/21/12
Posts: 287

12/30/12 10:33:10 AM#111
Originally posted by fascism
Originally posted by Scarfe
Originally posted by fascism
and  then he drove away in his new BMW to his mansion and it was ok

explain?

 

he's rich?

Oh, Jackson.

currently playing: DDO, AOC, WoT, P101

  Shorun

Novice Member

Joined: 6/19/06
Posts: 227

12/30/12 10:34:17 AM#112

He is an 88 year old man, many old people don't want to accept that movies generally look different than in the 50s-90s.

Movies in the past contained just as much action scenes...they just looked very differently.

And there is the fact that he is disappointed he didn't get money for not writing the books and not directing the movie. That poor guy isn't even a billionaire...I'd sue the hell out of New Line Cinema too.

  Scarfe

Apprentice Member

Joined: 12/21/12
Posts: 287

12/30/12 10:36:39 AM#113
Originally posted by Shorun

He is an 88 year old man, many old people don't want to accept that movies generally look different than in the 50s-90s.

Movies in the past contained just as much action scenes...they just looked very differently.

And there is the fact that he is disappointed he didn't get money for not writing the books and not directing the movie. That poor guy isn't even a billionaire...I'd sue the hell out of New Line Cinema too.

So you blame it all on Cameron and Terminator 2.  That is a bit of a leap.

 

currently playing: DDO, AOC, WoT, P101

  KingJiggly

Novice Member

Joined: 8/03/11
Posts: 807

Definition for innovation is below. Your welcome.

12/30/12 10:37:13 AM#114
Still gonna see it :D 

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/innovation

  KingJiggly

Novice Member

Joined: 8/03/11
Posts: 807

Definition for innovation is below. Your welcome.

12/30/12 10:37:53 AM#115
Originally posted by Scarfe
Originally posted by Shorun

He is an 88 year old man, many old people don't want to accept that movies generally look different than in the 50s-90s.

Movies in the past contained just as much action scenes...they just looked very differently.

And there is the fact that he is disappointed he didn't get money for not writing the books and not directing the movie. That poor guy isn't even a billionaire...I'd sue the hell out of New Line Cinema too.

So you blame it all Cameron and Terminator 2.  That is a bit of a leap.

 

Lol 

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/innovation

  Scarfe

Apprentice Member

Joined: 12/21/12
Posts: 287

12/30/12 10:39:05 AM#116
Originally posted by KingJiggly
Originally posted by Scarfe
Originally posted by Shorun

He is an 88 year old man, many old people don't want to accept that movies generally look different than in the 50s-90s.

Movies in the past contained just as much action scenes...they just looked very differently.

And there is the fact that he is disappointed he didn't get money for not writing the books and not directing the movie. That poor guy isn't even a billionaire...I'd sue the hell out of New Line Cinema too.

So you blame it all Cameron and Terminator 2.  That is a bit of a leap.

 

Lol 

Glad someone was with me on that

currently playing: DDO, AOC, WoT, P101

  ET3D

Apprentice Member

Joined: 4/16/06
Posts: 165

12/30/12 10:53:43 AM#117

To me the tl;dr version of the article is:

Tolkien wanted to create a book that few people would read. The publisher made him write a book that would appeal to readers. Jackson made a movie of it to appeal to moviegoers. This goes against what Tolkien wanted in the first place, but is a perfect fit for what he eventually wrote.

  Scarfe

Apprentice Member

Joined: 12/21/12
Posts: 287

12/30/12 10:57:10 AM#118
Originally posted by ET3D

To me the tl;dr version of the article is:

Tolkien wanted to create a book that few people would read. The publisher made him write a book that would appeal to readers. Jackson made a movie of it to appeal to moviegoers. This goes against what Tolkien wanted in the first place, but is a perfect fit for what he eventually wrote.

but no good book is designed for film, but the best films come from good books, if you want me to list- no can't be bothered, can if you want but really don't wanna.

well if you are going to force me: -

Shawshank redemption

Godfather

Jaws

Mrs Crimble's big day out

A night at the museum

Davey Locklace licks her face

Shaving Ryan's Privates

I could go on... do I need to?

 

currently playing: DDO, AOC, WoT, P101

  Saur0n

Advanced Member

Joined: 10/24/04
Posts: 69

12/30/12 11:05:21 AM#119
Christopher Tolkien is a spoiled little bitch who needs a punch in the face.  For years he's been taking people to court over nothing simply because he thinks his daddy's stories are just for him and no one else.  He's a vindictive sociopath that has done nothing but hinder the Tolkien Society.
  Aramath

Novice Member

Joined: 7/11/05
Posts: 159

12/30/12 11:06:21 AM#120
I think someone should point out to the "family", the stories were aimed at pre teen and young teens.   That the author's "family" is not raking in the cash is not the fault of anyone but themselves.  Personally, I find it typical of today's ideals.  Everyone thinks they are entitled to something because someone else did some work.  If the "family" wants to make money, the "family" should get off their lazy arses and do something.
11 Pages First « 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 » Last Search