Trending Games | Trove | ArcheAge | WildStar | Elder Scrolls Online

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,870,810 Users Online:0
Games:744  Posts:6,254,083
Turbine, Inc. | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 04/24/07)  | Pub:Midway Games
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:$14.99
System Req: PC Mac | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

Lord of the Rings Online Forum » General Discussion » Compare with EQ2 before you subscribe to Lotro

2 Pages « 1 2 Search
38 posts found
  reillan

Novice Member

2/26/14 11:25:32 AM#21

I enjoyed LotRO for something like 5 years, but the lag I experienced about a year ago finally drove me away. I'm not a fan of mounted combat, either - it's just silly.

Jean-Luc_Picard

Elite Member

There... are... four... lights!

3/02/14 8:53:08 AM#22
Originally posted by evilastro
 All that aside, EQ2 has better combat and encounters. I would recommend it for that reason alone unless you are a Tolkien nut and haven't played LOTRO through before.

I'd recommend World of Warcraft. Better combat than both EQ2 and LOTRO, better raids and encounters (LOTRO doesn't even do raids anymore), and generally better gameplay and design, not to mention smooth performance even with the upgrades they do every expansion.

In my humble opinion, WoW is still the best theme park MMORPG available.

Playing now: WoW, Landmark, GW2

Got a refund: Archeage.

Top 3 MMORPGs played: UO, AC1 and WoW

Honorable mentions: AO, LotRO and GW2.

"The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn. After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that neither does the ability to write.

arieste

Hard Core Member

3/02/14 9:00:37 AM#23
Originally posted by Diodem

I've played both EQ2 (Everquest 2) and Lotro...

I've been playing EQ2 for 10 years as my #1 game of choice.  I've played many others, including LoTRO - which i loved and played for years. 

If LoTRO had come out before EQ2 ,i would have never played EQ2.  But by time LoTRO came out, it was too late to switch.

I love both games, and to me the choice comes down to this:

If you want good story, immersion, quality writing and great world, you should play LoTRO.

If you want solid endgame, some of the best and most challenging group instances and raids in MMOs, you should play EQ2.

Don't get me wrong, both games have tons of quests, tons of group solo and raid stuff to do.  But in terms of what sets each game apart, those are the main differences. 

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2
Currently Playing: EQ2, Firefall

Rhoklaw

Elite Member

$500 Backer to 2015's Top New MMO... The Repopulation!

3/02/14 9:11:17 AM#24
Don't forget, you get cash shop tokens just for completing tasks and so on in LOTRO. I don't think EQ2 offers any free cash shop money just for doing stuff in the game.

arieste

Hard Core Member

3/02/14 9:30:22 AM#25
Originally posted by Rhoklaw
Don't forget, you get cash shop tokens just for completing tasks and so on in LOTRO. I don't think EQ2 offers any free cash shop money just for doing stuff in the game.

No, but in EQ2 it's fairly easy to make enough in-game money to pay the monthly gold membership cost or buy some station cash.   So that's something.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2
Currently Playing: EQ2, Firefall

JennysMind

Apprentice Member

3/08/14 3:08:41 PM#26

I found things in LoTRO that I really like. Even though they have the typical themepark themes, there is a lot of other things to do.

LoTRO has skirmishes where there is a list of instances you can choose, and the difficulty level to run. It can be soloed or in a group. You can level just playing skirmishes if you want. Or you can avoid them entirely.

There is a PVP exclusive area, with special rules. It's not that cutthroat if that is your thing, but you can play it instantly at any time. You can skip it entirely if it's not your thing.

There are virtues in LoTrO where you can buff specific stats according to the class you play. This is done mostly by completing deeds. You can avoid this entirely if you don't want to run deeds.

There are quest lines that you go through once. They can be run at any time. Although some do open up areas.

LoTRO is very good for social networking and role playing.They have RP servers, or RP encouraged servers where you only RP is you want.  You can acquire all types of fashion clothes. They have a tab dedicated to this. Since there are instruments you can be part of a band. What's interesting about the music is you can actually compose music, and write music for multiple instruments for a song. There are guilds whose primary focus is to play music, often holding concerts. Of course you can skip this entirely if it's not your thing.

The thing I like the best is I'm not stuck on just leveling. I can choose to do all kinds of things. And my guild does have events all the time.

I've played many MMO's, Asheron's Call being the first. And been in many guilds I felt a part of. But the variety of LoTRO is what's drawn me to it, and I'm glad I found it. I've played for almost a year now and have no intention of playing another MMO.

Quazal.A

Novice Member

3/08/14 3:17:24 PM#27

Edit: oh and if you love hobbits, they had them in EQ2 before Lotro came out, they're called halflings.

Can i just pick up on this dont know if you know, but hobbits existed approxamatly 50-60years before ANY real home computer let alone a game :)

So if you going to say EQ had hobbits first ill ask you consider that LOTRO isn't just a developers idea, its a book that comes from 2-3 generations ago... 

That is all... 

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game :) were of course your welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

Po_gg

Elite Member

3/10/14 4:55:49 AM#28
Originally posted by Quazal.A

Edit: oh and if you love hobbits, they had them in EQ2 before Lotro came out, they're called halflings.

Can i just pick up on this dont know if you know, but hobbits existed approxamatly 50-60years before ANY real home computer let alone a game :)

So if you going to say EQ had hobbits first ill ask you consider that LOTRO isn't just a developers idea, its a book that comes from 2-3 generations ago... 

That is all... 

Great one.

In a post above I already tried to subtlety hint the same, but OP missed the point and only said "And yea EQ2 has hobbits, I pointed it out". Lol.

Halflings are just the watered-up, D&D version of hobbits, and exists only due to copyright issues with the Tolkien Estate. They're so far from the original it's not even fun to play them (in p'n'p rpg I mean, never played a halfling in crpg's so I can't comment that. Though I'm totally agree with the way HL addressed halflings in his Neverwinter video - a big laugh, and "3 feet of solid rage" :) ).

edit: btw. these are for example hobbits http://s27.postimg.org/rtzjlcev7/opengate.jpg  (from the yesterday's concert at the Southfarthing Gate). Ok, to be precise, there are also 3 dwarves, a man and an elf :)

summitus

Novice Member

4/13/14 2:21:04 PM#29

I think I love Hobbits ... but they first appeared in 1937 ( which is quite a bit before EQ II ) ... but nevermind , I'm sure Tolkien wouldn't mind that you seem to be a little misguided ... :p

Gorwe

Elite Member

4/14/14 12:41:59 PM#30
Eh...

LoTRO is an awesome game, but man the greed! OMG t3h Gr33D! It's easily the most taxing game I ever run across. Hell, not even vip members(subs) get even half things! Everything past tutorial is basically locked! Can't make every class. Etc.

As good are other things, so bad are monetary things in the LoTRO(also: animations suck).

Imo, the best and most complete Themepark is SWTOR. Now if only we had(we?) had a better engine so we could have a RvR and large scale OPs... Maybe one day. The best story mixed with the best IP and with a dash of good combat(not too revolutionary/not too stale). Also good group activities. My only wish:

Remove the xp penalty from the prefered players. <-THIS would make Tor SO MUCH better lol! I couldn't stop playing it lol.

Back to LoTRO. They really need to put out that wildfire in their financial dept(read: endless greed). If they do that, it'll be alright.
  justmemyselfandi

Novice Member

4/14/14 1:17:59 PM#31
Originally posted by summitus

I think I love Hobbits ... but they first appeared in 1937 ( which is quite a bit before EQ II ) ... but nevermind , I'm sure Tolkien wouldn't mind that you seem to be a little misguided ... :p

Half-lings existed for thousands of years in old folklore ( along with pixies, elves, fairies, orcs, goblins, wraiths, and whatnot ) before ol' Tolkien decided to appropriate them for his books. Even Hobbits were just a combining of other creatures from two different books, Sinclair Lewis' "Babbit" in 1922 and Edward Smiths' "The Marvelous Lands of Snergs" in 1927, Tolkien had read before writing the Hobbit.  Even Middle-Earth existed thousands of years before Tolkien. Namely Midgard from old Norse mytholgy.

Even the story of the "one ring" was just adapted from earlier works, notably "Der Ring des Nibelungen" an opera composed by Richard Wagnar which itself was loosely based on Norse myth and evenn featured a dwarf named Alberich whos mind was twisted by the ring in much the same way as Gollum was in Tolkiens' tales.

Tolkien was not an inventor of anything. Tolkien was the Blizzard of literature. He simply took what came before and remodeled it to fit his needs.

summitus

Novice Member

4/14/14 5:22:31 PM#32
Originally posted by justmemyselfandi

Half-lings existed for thousands of years in old folklore ( along with pixies, elves, fairies, orcs, goblins, wraiths, and whatnot ) before ol' Tolkien decided to appropriate them for his books. Even Hobbits were just a combining of other creatures from two different books, Sinclair Lewis' "Babbit" in 1922 and Edward Smiths' "The Marvelous Lands of Snergs" in 1927, Tolkien had read before writing the Hobbit.  Even Middle-Earth existed thousands of years before Tolkien. Namely Midgard from old Norse mytholgy.

Even the story of the "one ring" was just adapted from earlier works, notably "Der Ring des Nibelungen" an opera composed by Richard Wagnar which itself was loosely based on Norse myth and evenn featured a dwarf named Alberich whos mind was twisted by the ring in much the same way as Gollum was in Tolkiens' tales.

Tolkien was not an inventor of anything. Tolkien was the Blizzard of literature. He simply took what came before and remodeled it to fit his needs.

Very interesting read , you seem quite the Tolkien expert ! ... but lets be honest here , for your average ( non Tolkien expert  ) readers , Hobbits appeared as I said in 1937 ... in the " Hobbit " ;)

Vannor

Advanced Member

4/14/14 5:33:21 PM#33
Originally posted by rojo6934

i never enjoyed Lotro. Tried it many times and just it isnt for me.

As for EQ2, although i hate the engine its running on i gave it a few tries as well. I manage to enjoy EQ2 until i realized that my melee class could only be a tank. Uninstalled and never looked back. I despise mmo design where heavy plated fighters are limited to tanking and cloth wearing "holy" casters are limited to healing. Terrible design. Everyone should be able to have a dps role besides their support role. Thankfully SOE are learning that with EQN.

So, I guess you completely missed the Berserker class.. right next to all the other plate fighter classes. Your loss I suppose for having a nerd rage and not realising you just chose the wrong one..........

Or how about the Inquisitor? Capable of being a melee healer in plate? And the Paladin and Shadow Knight? Off Tank/Support classes...

So, yeh, just about every single role in the game covered by heavy armor wearing classes.

justmemyselfandi

Novice Member

4/14/14 10:44:37 PM#34

Very interesting read , you seem quite the Tolkien expert ! ... but lets be honest here , for your average ( non Tolkien expert  ) readers , Hobbits appeared as I said in 1937 ... in the " Hobbit " ;)

Far from an expert, sadly. Just stuff I've learned over the years. I still haven't read any of his non-Hobbit works and have yet to read the Silmarillian.  I respect him in the same way I respect Blizzard with WoW, he took things that had existed mostly separately for years and reimagined them bound together in an easy and enjoyable format for the masses.

Po_gg

Elite Member

4/15/14 3:02:55 AM#35

Far from an expert, sadly. Just stuff I've learned over the years. I still haven't read any of his non-Hobbit works and have yet to read the Silmarillian.  I respect him in the same way I respect Blizzard with WoW, he took things that had existed mostly separately for years and reimagined them bound together in an easy and enjoyable format for the masses.

It's a bit off, since the subject was rpg, nobody talked about the tales and sagas... (and on a sidenote, I think Tolkien as a professor was quite familiar with the original Völsunga and the Nibelungenlied, most likely got his inspiration from the source and not simply copied Wagner's work - which is a bit heavy and overwritten, but has some great parts too. Imo of course. I always found tough to sit through any Wagner... maybe just me.)

sidenote2:  http://www.tolkienonline.de/etep/1ring5.html  "But it is quite clear that Tolkien's work owes nothing to Der Ring des Nibelungen, and it is impossible to draw comparisons between the two works. The few similarities that there are operate as faint and disparate echoes of one another, coming from a distant and common source."

The start was "if you love hobbits, they had them in EQ2 before Lotro came out, they're called halflings." and a few of us tried to point out, that halflings are not even close to hobbits. As I wrote above, they're only exists (in games, in their current form, so not folklore-wise as you wrote) because Gygax had to remove hobbits from D&D due to legal issues, but he didn't want to completely ditch the idea - blam, halflings were born. But they have nothing in common with hobbits - except maybe the height. Or the lack of it :) They don't have hairy feet, round bellies (filled with pies), don't have the cheerful mood and the fondness of  parties, celebrations, and colorful clothes, also don't have their appetite. Most of all, they don't have the Shire. Halflings are basically regular, common men, minus 3 feet from the height :)

The whole debate was about how lame is the line of "if you love hobbits, they had them in EQ2 before Lotro came out, they're called halflings." Close to "if you like MotoGP come to the Tour, we have bikes too" :)

And the "Tolkien was the Blizzard of literature." line is almost as lame as the opening line. True, I loathe blizz, so colour me biased in this matter :)

edit: btw I strongly recommend to read Silmarillion if you liked Wagner's Nibelung cycle, it has much more similarity than LotR (which only has the forged ring). The whole Quenta Silmarillion is revolving around the silmarils, Fëanor forged them and got obsessed with them, and after Morgoth stole them, he made an Oath to get them back, which oath ruins everything just like Alberich's curse. And of course those are similar as well only because of the common source.

Ozmodan

Elite Member

4/19/14 8:40:57 AM#36

Funny how this thread got off track on the origin of hobbits.  Obviously prior art influenced Tolkien somewhat be it fairy tales or whatever else.  What Tolkien did was create an entire world with lore to go along with it.  Pretty amazing if you ask me.  Comparing what he did  to Wow is just laughable.  Blizzard's lore is just miniscule along side Tolkien's.

Back to the EQ comparison.  EQ seems to me to be very artificial.  Tried it multiple times only to dump it like I dumped EQ.  SOE's design philosophy is highly restrictive class design.  EQ was far worse for this than EQ2, but it is still very evident.  Personally I like what Turbine did with their classes, they are much broader and flexible.  I have done instances in Lotro without a true healer which is utterly impossible in EQ2.  

As I have said before, I have played Lotro off and on since beta and spent less than $100 on it and have access to almost everything  on two accounts except maybe some fancy mounts or clothes which I could care less about.  

Gorwe

Elite Member

4/20/14 6:58:59 PM#37
Yeah, comparing bli$$ to master Tolkien is just... :/ . I have no words.

John created a whole branch of writing(well more or less). Awesome lore, story, morals etc. You could say that he was a bit racistic, but That's ok seeing when and where he was born. He got inspired, enhanced it all, enriched it all and put it into saten package.

Bli$$, otoh, kidnapped the IP, stripped it to the bare bones and made a mockery out of it. I mean, just compare Warhammer fantasy and Warcraft. Warcraft is like Warhammer 12-. They basically streamlined EVERYTHING they touched(the IP, the game mechanics etc).

If anything, it's anti Tolkien. Old master expanded while Bli$$ contracted(or if you want computer termin: streamlined).
  makasouleater69

Advanced Member

5/01/14 10:12:44 AM#38
I am sorry EQ2s graphics dont compare to any level of LOTRO. EQ2 doesnt use dx11. EQ2 cant even use a graphics card very well. I have tried to max this game with my computers over the years, and I had a 7970 over clocked highly, and I still couldent even get close to 60 fps all the time. LOTRO on the other hand, has much better textures, and is optimized to run.
2 Pages « 1 2 Search