Trending Games | Pirate101 | EverQuest | Elder Scrolls Online | Moonrise

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,900,490 Users Online:0
Games:751  Posts:6,269,761
Turbine, Inc. | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 04/24/07)  | Pub:Midway Games
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:$14.99
System Req: PC Mac | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

Lord of the Rings Online Forum » General Discussion » Did they just easy mode this game?

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » Search
63 posts found
  Jean-Luc_Picard

Elite Member

There... are... four... lights!

12/02/13 9:12:44 AM#41

Wait... are some of your guys really trying to convince me that LOTRO ever was a "hard" game in any way?

I'm playing this game since beta, I'm a founder (still have founder cloak, ring, etc...). The game has never been hard, and even raids have always been very simple and easy compared to raids in games like WoW. And now, the last "expansion" doesn't even have raids anymore, just "big battles", which are faceroll easy.

I'm quite used to the LOTRO players considering themself as some kind of "superior MMO gamers", but I've played this game too long to be misinformed about it. LOTRO is just another WoW clone, in 2007 is was possible one of the best clones, but it still was and is just a clone. And the latest changes makes it even more dumbed down than it ever was.

Playing now: WoW, Landmark, GW2

Got a refund: Archeage. First refund since I started MMOs.

Top 3 MMORPGs played: UO, AC1 and WoW

Honorable mentions: AO, LotRO and GW2.

"The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn. After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that neither does the ability to write.

azarhal

Hard Core Member

12/02/13 9:52:20 AM#42
Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

Wait... are some of your guys really trying to convince me that LOTRO ever was a "hard" game in any way?

I think people are just saying it is easier than it was before.

I haven't had the time to log back in, but I'm thinking of doing it just to see if it changed that much.

Iselin

The Listener

12/02/13 10:28:09 AM#43
Originally posted by azarhal

I haven't had the time to log back in, but I'm thinking of doing it just to see if it changed that much.

And it is.

I left before Moria and just came back. Many elites have become signature and my red-line LM can easily solo red signatures and even red elites with a bit more effort...and by that I mean I might have to throw my pet a heal. That, is very different from beta or release.

It does start to even out a bit as you level and you don't feel quite as OP'd when you get to the 40s in Angmar and Trollshaws, but it's definitely easier than it once was.

Distopia

Drifter

"what a boring life, HATING everything" -Gorilla Biscuits

12/02/13 10:30:39 AM#44
Originally posted by Iselin

And it is.

I left before Moria and just came back. Many elites have become signature and my red-line LM can easily solo red signatures and even red elites with a bit more effort...and by that I mean I might have to throw my pet a heal. That, is very different from beta or release.

It does start to even out a bit as you level and you don't feel quite as OP'd when you get to the 40s in Angmar and Trollshaws, but it's definitely easier than it once was.

I remember reading a few years ago that they eased up the earlier parts of the game because those areas weren't as populated, basically so people could still experience the harder content.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

It is a sign of a defeated man, to attack at ones character in the face of logic and reason- Me

Iselin

The Listener

12/02/13 10:33:31 AM#45
Originally posted by Distopia

And it is.

I remember reading a few years ago that they eased up the earlier parts of the game because those areas weren't as populated, basically so people could still experience the harder content.

I think that's right...it shows. Trollshaws, Angmar, Forachel,  etc. up the difficulty a bit - not much, but noticeable.

Distopia

Drifter

"what a boring life, HATING everything" -Gorilla Biscuits

12/02/13 10:39:23 AM#46

I think that's right...it shows. Trollshaws, Angmar, Forachel,  etc. up the difficulty a bit - not much, but noticeable.

The more I think about it the more specifics I remember. Most of the (dumbing down) was in the book related segments, as those were needed to progress the story. I never got into the game so take that in mind, but I remember hearing most of those quests used to require groups and they removed that need.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

It is a sign of a defeated man, to attack at ones character in the face of logic and reason- Me

Iselin

The Listener

12/02/13 10:45:21 AM#47

The more I think about it the more specifics I remember. Most of the (dumbing down) was in the book related segments, as those were needed to progress the story. I never got into the game so take that in mind, but I remember hearing most of those quests used to require groups and they removed that need.

All the books have one or more group content chapters. The big change is that they've given former group content a solo option. They do this with bolsters to your character - even for the open world elite content you get an item that can only be used in a specific place that bolsters you for 15 minutes. Once you leave the area you go back to normal stats.

Otherwise, the books and their chapters remain identical to what I remember.

BMBender

Apprentice Member

12/03/13 11:20:19 AM#48

Can't say for certain as I haven't logged into live since last Jan. and haven't been on Bullroaroer since the phases ended.   But one thing that stopped me playing back when the class changes were mere "rumors" was the fact that it was a package deal.  There is a reason most sane developers handle class/character revamps 1-3 at a time.  Even Blizzard who has more than enough resources to throw at the balance pass black hole they become; doesn't do them wholesale.

We all have a pretty fair idea that incoming at some point soon is a pretty serious round of balance passes, since by all factors I've heard about or tested in Beta :Landscape, instance, group, PC's are not in balance with each other nor the content around them.  Like any balance passes you will have tweaks, minor buffs, and nerf bats.  Across everyone who at the same time are adjusting to the existing changes. 

Also consider the patience of the demographics BB's and the revamps were supposed to "entice"  imho should go over about as well as a house on fire.

olepi

Hard Core Member

12/07/13 10:31:45 AM#49

I haven't played in years, and just started a new LM. Yes, the pet is ridiculously over-powered. At lvl 20-30, he can easily take out +5's with no help.

So what I did was just focus on the books, the main storyline. I'm not doing any side quests. This kept me from over-leveling the area, until around lvl 20-25. At that point, the books became hard enough to allow me to farm a little, do some crafting, and maybe an odd quest or two. It feels almost a little sandboxy: I'm not doing quests, but just fiddling around between main story books; a little farming, some scholar crafting, some farm farming, a skirmish or two. I've been able to do all the books' 1,2,3 chapters solo.

If someone really wanted to get into the side quests, they would have to stop getting XP, or else outlevel the area quickly. It is too easy by far.

edit: Since I went Scholar, I need to find lots of mats around ruins; this makes the game a lot more exploration based, and not quest based. I look around and explore ruins, and run the main book quests, with a little farming in between. It is actually a lot of fun.

------------
RIP City of Heroes. One of my favorite MMO's.

Teshrrar

Advanced Member

12/15/13 11:22:50 PM#50

I played LotRO since the launch until become FTP. fter that, I played just to finish what I had (Mirkwood) and never back. WB killed the most amazing themepark that I ever played.

I'm a huge fan of Tolkien. I have books and more books about him, his histories and etc. First time I played LotRO I was so pleased, so stunned. I used to play without any help in my screen, just reading and trying find things, what friends called me crazy, but was incredibly fun. The landscape... Ah, good times.

Now, reading what you guys said, I'm so sad. I was already sad when I left, and now I'm just hopeless.

Po_gg

Elite Member

12/16/13 3:14:46 AM#51
Originally posted by Teshrrar

First time I played LotRO I was so pleased, so stunned. I used to play without any help in my screen, just reading and trying find things, what friends called me crazy, but was incredibly fun. The landscape... Ah, good times.

The landscape, the scenery, the overall mood and the folks are the same, "only" the gameplay has changed. But it's still LotRO...

Yesterday there was a 2 hours long Shades concert beneath Thorin's Hall, at the Silver Deep Mine, event like this are making you forget the lightweighted, paper-mache mobs and the simplified character building :)

http://postimg.org/image/5slkvbiq1/http://postimg.org/image/t9dfu34ax/

http://postimg.org/image/oyyryhz7t/  (special effects, with occasional too-closely-danced roasted hobbits on the side :) )

http://postimg.org/image/n4lxgrc7d/

And Yuletide festival is launching this week, if you stopped playing at the f2p switch then you haven't seen yet the cozy town of Frostbluff... a great place indeed (after you help them get rid of that corrupt mayor I mean).

Lord.Bachus

Elite Member

I believe in life before death... So dont forget to enjoy it while you still can.

12/18/13 6:28:16 AM#52

All the books have one or more group content chapters. The big change is that they've given former group content a solo option. They do this with bolsters to your character - even for the open world elite content you get an item that can only be used in a specific place that bolsters you for 15 minutes. Once you leave the area you go back to normal stats.

As crowds spread out and thinned out, they really had to do this. It was near impossible for new and fresh players to finish anything epic story related, and story is the core of this world..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Solar_Prophet

Elite Member

WAAAGH!

12/18/13 6:46:05 AM#53

Yes, it's easier. Most of the elites have been bumped down to signatures, and the 'book' quests have been made soloable. I personally agree with this change, as when any MMO has been out for a while it becomes top heavy. This in turn makes lower level group content very difficult to find parties for it.

To be fair though, guardian always was an easy class to solo with. Plus it's been years, so I'm most likely misremembering a few things.

Anyone remember the old forest in Bree-land at release? Elite huorns everywhere, dense fog, and the minimap was fogged over. That zone still gives me nightmares.

MMORPG's are thriving. There are hundreds available today, with different settings, mechanics, and even payment models to suit anyone's gaming needs. If you can't find one to call your own, then the problem isn't the genre... it's YOU.

Dren_Utogi

Novice Member

12/18/13 6:52:26 AM#54

short answer. No.

What they did was destroy a lot of players skill rotations that been in effect for over 6 years. So for the people whoplayed the game for that long, it was a shock to the system.

AS far as I can tell and I;ve beening playing since closed beta, the content has not changed all that much. As along time player, and being used to the controls, it feels easy. If a player has been playing mmo's for a long time, it will feel easy. Rest a sured, deep in some other areas and zones, there's still some quite challenging quest, specifically in Moria.

Most players who have come out of Moria, are pretty much done with wanting to greoup and do raids lol....

reviews are !@#$ing stupid. Play what you love.

Dren_Utogi

Novice Member

12/18/13 6:55:09 AM#55
Originally posted by Solar_Prophet

Yes, it's easier. Most of the elites have been bumped down to signatures, and the 'book' quests have been made soloable. I personally agree with this change, as when any MMO has been out for a while it becomes top heavy. This in turn makes lower level group content very difficult to find parties for it.

To be fair though, guardian always was an easy class to solo with. Plus it's been years, so I'm most likely misremembering a few things.

Anyone remember the old forest in Bree-land at release? Elite huorns everywhere, dense fog, and the minimap was fogged over. That zone still gives me nightmares.

no. this is not true at all.

HEre we go with old forest... was shit at launch. It was a few path ways here and there, nothing like it is now where you can actually roam the forest. I REMEBER the old forest,  apparently some folk are living is a alternate fantasy :).

Dren_Utogi

Novice Member

12/18/13 6:57:47 AM#56
Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

As crowds spread out and thinned out, they really had to do this. It was near impossible for new and fresh players to finish anything epic story related, and story is the core of this world..

I think Turbine are smart enough to know that fansneeded a break from Moria . I would imagine in the up coming years, we will slowly progress back into some hardcore group content after everyone gets re-adjusted to the new combat/skill system.

A really dumb developer ould throw a skill/combat overhaul with 10 new raids and a crap ton of 6 mans, which would of frustrated the player base and alienate people from progressing in the content.

Solar_Prophet

Elite Member

WAAAGH!

12/18/13 12:45:53 PM#57
Originally posted by Dren_Utogi
Originally posted by Solar_Prophet

no. this is not true at all.

HEre we go with old forest... was shit at launch. It was a few path ways here and there, nothing like it is now where you can actually roam the forest. I REMEBER the old forest,  apparently some folk are living is a alternate fantasy :).

Umm, yes, it IS true. Very easy to get lost in there, then killed. Don't presume to tell me what I do and do not remember, and I sure as hell am not living in an 'alternate fantasy'. The layout was more or less the same it is now, just foggier w/elite enemies and no minimap.

Plus I agree that it was overall, crap. The novelty wore off quickly because it soon became apparent that trying to quest in it was completely futile, and only the most masochistic of souls tried more than a few times. But if you want to continue to make erroneous assumptions, be my guest...

MMORPG's are thriving. There are hundreds available today, with different settings, mechanics, and even payment models to suit anyone's gaming needs. If you can't find one to call your own, then the problem isn't the genre... it's YOU.

angerbeaver

Hard Core Member

Games Played:Ultima OnlineRappelzLOTROWoWGWGW2SWTOR

12/19/13 12:52:48 PM#58
Originally posted by Teshrrar

I played LotRO since the launch until become FTP. fter that, I played just to finish what I had (Mirkwood) and never back. WB killed the most amazing themepark that I ever played.

I'm a huge fan of Tolkien. I have books and more books about him, his histories and etc. First time I played LotRO I was so pleased, so stunned. I used to play without any help in my screen, just reading and trying find things, what friends called me crazy, but was incredibly fun. The landscape... Ah, good times.

Now, reading what you guys said, I'm so sad. I was already sad when I left, and now I'm just hopeless.

I never read the books but this was my first AAA MMORPG and I loved it until Moria. Then I liked it. Then when FTP happened I just log in to get my free points. I've bought every expansion that way but have yet to level past 65 or 70 I believe.

I actually wouldn't mind the one shot killing, would allow me to level up quickly.

kryles Xfire Miniprofile
  free2play

Advanced Member

12/20/13 5:09:29 PM#59
Originally posted by Dren_Utogi

short answer. No.

What they did was destroy a lot of players skill rotations that been in effect for over 6 years. So for the people whoplayed the game for that long, it was a shock to the system.

AS far as I can tell and I;ve beening playing since closed beta, the content has not changed all that much. As along time player, and being used to the controls, it feels easy. If a player has been playing mmo's for a long time, it will feel easy. Rest a sured, deep in some other areas and zones, there's still some quite challenging quest, specifically in Moria.

Most players who have come out of Moria, are pretty much done with wanting to greoup and do raids lol....

I noticed the rotations changes right away. I had a Captain from year one and he is completely different now. Some of the content is easier but I'm not complaining.

There are Signature Bulls in the early westfold tier that it was all I could do to survive attacking one. I needed to use the strength of morale man trait each time just to live. Now my captain and an Archer maiden can stomp them with little down time between the kills. I kind of prefer it this way.

There are very few games that claim free to play and are. This is one of them. I'm not pandering when I say, everyone who plays online games should have a LotRO account. The amount of content in this game is unlimited. You can't do it all. It's one of the few, true MMO worlds in the Genre and it's Middle Earth to boot.

Volenibblets

Advanced Member

12/30/13 9:01:53 AM#60

Yes.

And they have removed the quirk. I personally think the game had one thing going for it (besides a tepid adherence to the IP) that distinguished it from other games in the genre and that was the quirkiness i.e. of the classes, the odd builds, the number and variety of skills for different situations. They have completely abolished all that individuality, dumbed it down to generic mush and given us 'polarised-role-talent-trees' that look errily similar in style and substance to the idiotic ones in Old Republic. I promised myself I wouldn't say it's been NGE'd but they've made me say it. It's been NGE'd. 

Ah well, it happens to the best of them with time and falling subs I guess. Farewell lotro, you were a niche-y little gem for a good few years.    

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » Search