Trending Games | ArcheAge | Elder Scrolls Online | WildStar | Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,790,915 Users Online:0
Games:723  Posts:6,194,270
Turbine, Inc. | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 04/24/07)  | Pub:Midway Games
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:$14.99
System Req: PC Mac | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

Lord of the Rings Online Forum » General Discussion » Is Moria killing the game for me?

2 Pages « 1 2 Search
32 posts found
  reploidx

Apprentice Member

6/26/13 12:30:05 AM#21
I had a love/hate relationship with that damn area. Moria to me was fun, but it was just so BORING! I liked seeing the sites depicted in the movies/books and fighting all the enemies, learning more about the lore of everything, but there are just so many quests. There is WAY to many fetch quests, and all the grinding for the rep gear just killed it for me, and after I got out of Moria, I was done. I haven't gone back to Lotro and for the life of me I just can't bring myself back.
  Sovrath

Elite Member

7/07/13 9:16:37 PM#22
Originally posted by Lithuanian

I felt the same: a huge maze, map won't work (and sometimes it's better not to use it), enemies all around so sometimes "run for your life" was the best option. I really hated Moria and my only escape from this "daily grump" were festivals and some crafting.

Moria is a very contradictive region: you will find those who praise it; you will find those who hate it.  Moria instance are good for a quality groups. I did some of them and was very satisfied. It was hard, with many detahs, but still possible. Filikul in Moria looks to be favourite instance since it rewards with tokens (and tokens means better LI). For those with huge patience Moria offers some 800 Turbine points for deeds. Doing instances does help, I can confirm it with my experience. 2 instamces, 1 little raid - and my spider slayer deeds were finished.

On the other hand, Moria is dark, grumpy, hard to navigate and killing stuff is sometimes painfully long.

In short: Moria may make you feel depressing (you are not odd...nor are many many players), you just have to: a) level up a bit; b) find some group to locate stables (will help a lot, it's a safe travel after all) and so some content.

If you happen to be on Withywindle, you may contact my toon NaktiesKarys, he is always trying to do soe usefull things in Moria and typically waits in 21st hall.

I would have to agree, it's a region with those that praise it and those that hate it.

Personally I loved Moria. But I love huge dungeon crawls that are dangerous and where you can get lost. One of the reasons I preferred the original old forest. I'm actually leveling an alt as quickly as I can to get TO moria. level 48 so "almost". And I'll take my main in there to finish some things I never finished.

Now, having said all this, they just revamped moria according to a friend so perhaps they completely made it palatable to the OP?

rooey

Novice Member

7/07/13 10:01:17 PM#23
Moria wouldn't be as bad if you could use your horse in there.
  chakalaka

Novice Member

The thing is... you're important to a lot of people.

7/07/13 10:12:45 PM#24
OP, mate, I must agree with you as I also played Beta, (not private beta) got the game and enjoyed the F#$% outta it for a long time. Moria hit and it just seemed like something was missing. I feel your pain my friend. 
  ElRenmazuo

Elite Member

7/07/13 10:19:37 PM#25
Moria was my favorite experience in lotro, it was like a whole different world to explore within the game.  Sure getting lost got annoying sometimes but at the same time its a great thing that made me more immersed.
  Jean-Luc_Picard

Elite Member

There... are... four... lights!

7/08/13 9:02:08 AM#26

Originally posted by rooey Moria wouldn't be as bad if you could use your horse in there.
One of the worse parts of Moria are the damned goat mounts. That's when LOTRO started to stray away from the Tolkien lore and turn the game into another "generic" fantasy MMO... goats, Runekeepers who fart more lightning than a Sith Lord with diarrhea, Aliens and Predators in the deeper levels... Poor JRR must have facepalmed in his tomb.

Playing now: Archeage, WoW, Landmark, GW2

Top 3 MMORPGs played: UO, AC1 and WoW

Honorable mentions: AO, LotRO and GW2.

"The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn. After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that neither does the ability to write.

Sovrath

Elite Member

7/08/13 9:23:48 AM#27
Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

Originally posted by rooey Moria wouldn't be as bad if you could use your horse in there.
One of the worse parts of Moria are the damned goat mounts. That's when LOTRO started to stray away from the Tolkien lore and turn the game into another "generic" fantasy MMO... goats, Runekeepers who fart more lightning than a Sith Lord with diarrhea, Aliens and Predators in the deeper levels... Poor JRR must have facepalmed in his tomb.

You know I can forgive the goats.

Reason being, it makes more sense to use an animal used to weird and rough terrain inside a mine/underground city.

The issue with Moria is that the dwarves coming back to it didn't happen until much later. They should have left it as an evil dungeon crawl and leave it at that.

The Aliens and Predators are more about them "thinking too much". Essentially saying "what types of monsters would be in the deepest darkest depths? Well, monsters without the need of light! But we as players can see just fine so it really just doesn't work. It's too science fiction. Runekeepers are of course "way out" but it is what it is unfortunately.

My biggest gripe other than the horrible dunland quests can be expressed in this example that happened over the weekend.

I took off from Rivendell with the intention of going to Eregion. I wasn't sure the way so I sort of explored in order to find the path. On the path I happened to notice some stairs to the right which led to some hidden practically underground, edifice. It reminded me of being in skyrim when I discovered the secret place of the blades before I knew it was a "place for the blades".

I love discovering the lost or undiscovered and in all my years I never knew this place existed. I saw a door, walked up to it, "clicked" only to get a "you are not on the appropriate quest" message.

That pretty much defines what I hate about the game and what ruins what could be a great experience.

AZHokie54

Hard Core Member

7/08/13 9:30:08 AM#28

Add me to the list.

Level 56 toon sitting in Moria. I've tried several times to push my way through and just quit after a few hours. It's just a horrible zone.

Jaedor

Advanced Member

7/08/13 11:05:23 AM#29

Moria is one of those love it or hate it zones. I hated it on my main because of the dark and the maze and the horrible, unhelpful map. But it was much better on alts because I knew my way around a little better and because by then Turbine had streamlined the zone.

You need to do the Eregion pre-Moria chain to open up legendaries but should be able to get into Moria as early as level 46 and get out of there as early as level 55.

Also, I believe the Eregion zone was recently redone to be an alternative to Moria, so that you can head directly south and skip it entirely.

Jean-Luc_Picard

Elite Member

There... are... four... lights!

7/08/13 11:08:00 AM#30

Another of my griefs concerning Moria as designed by Turbine is that it's all too bright. Look at what ArenaNET did with dark places in GW2, where players can have torches to see otherwise it's pitch black. I'm not saying all Moria should have been done like that, but come on, some parts should have been pitch black with the possibility of using torches.

The Moria of the Jackson movies is like 1000x better than the Turbine version.

EDIT for those who want to skip Moria.

Nowadays, you have:

pre-50:

Complete everything you can in those places before moving to 50+ areas.

post-50:
Lothlorien is 56+.

If you play smart, you can skip Moria completely except for running through it of course. If you are afraid to be a bit short, alternate questing with skirmishes.

Playing now: Archeage, WoW, Landmark, GW2

Top 3 MMORPGs played: UO, AC1 and WoW

Honorable mentions: AO, LotRO and GW2.

"The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn. After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that neither does the ability to write.

Po_gg

Elite Member

7/08/13 12:19:02 PM#31

Actually with finishing every area you could get to lvl55-56 since years. Now with crafting and festivals giving xp it's even easier, and there's the skirmish option as well.

The optimal Moria-skip route is to level 59-60 in Eriador with doing the quests and do some skirmishes on the side, then run through Moria (with grey / green mobs), finishing only the mandatory few quests in there. At 60 you can easily finish Lorien too (after an earlier update the archers at the border won't one-shot you anymore).

Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
Runekeepers who fart more lightning than a Sith Lord with diarrhea

that was awesome :)

phobossion

Novice Member

7/09/13 1:06:55 AM#32
Just returned to LOTRO after some years and I've got my first char to Moria. I must say that I was there when MoM launched, playing through the original mines and it was terrible. Now after the revamp, I am having a blast. Quests are much better organized, navigation was improved, I just generally enjoyed my way until I've hit Waterworks yesterday. Just hate the zone, for no particular reason, but I do. Luckily, I am almost out of there and am looking forward to next zone :)
2 Pages « 1 2 Search