Trending Games | ArcheAge | Destiny | Guild Wars 2 | World of Warcraft

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,856,346 Users Online:0
Games:740  Posts:6,239,496
Turbine, Inc. | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 04/24/07)  | Pub:Midway Games
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:$14.99
System Req: PC Mac | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

Lord of the Rings Online Forum » Game Suggestions » Turbine still hasn't capitalized on Monster Play /sadspideyface

3 posts found
  Gravarg

Spotlight Poster

OP  2/17/13 1:55:27 PM#1

I recently went back to lotro, and this time it wasn't just to sit around and RP in the pony, like I usually do.  Instead i went back to see the changes to Monster Play.  I have to say the imbalance between Monsters and Freeps is still way out of whack.  Now you might say, it's because you haven't invested as much time as the Freeps to do to level and gear up...but I'd say you're wrong.  I'm currently Rank 15 Weaver...I have everything unlocked except for the appearances you need to exchange for.  I played weaver for years.

In the beginning when the game was launched, Weaver was insanely overpowered.  Their dots would take down just about anyone as long as they couldn't cure poison.  I would hit them with 4 dots, move on to the next freep and repeat.  This was and still is the only time in the history of Monster Play a Freep had a disadvantage.  Wargs are probably the closest to even with a Freep, but it's still imbalanced, that's why they hunt in packs hehe.

The problem with making Monster Players weaker than any Freep, is that noone really wants to play them.  I understand the concept that Monster Players are supposed to be quantity over quality, just like in the books/movies, but it doesn't pan out in a game.  Players don't want to weaker than their opponent, and many don't ever make it past rank 4 or 5 before they quit.  As a Rank 15, I am still not "feared" although i should probably be stronger than Shelob by now, with how much time I've played lol.  Monster Players end up having to log in during the night to steal keeps, during peak hours, it's not even worth logging in, let alone playing lol.

When Lotro went free to play, they hurt Monster Play even more.  Since unless you wanted to play a berserker, you had to sub or buy the classes.  Although with enough money, you could buy your way to Rank 15, with all the abilities and such, just without the Rank bonuses.  Noone wants to spend money to be weaker than thier opponent.  I'd say by Rank 8, you should be about on par with a Freep.  After that you should be stronger.

The only reason I log into my Weaver anymore is the adoration and love I get from other Monster Players.  When you run around with the Tyrant title, new people /tell you grats and veterans respect you because of your dedication to the destruction of middle earth, but other than that, there is no point.

vtravi

Apprentice Member

2/17/13 2:00:39 PM#2
Lotro is mostly just a pve game. If you come only for pvp there are many better options. That is one of the reasons that the community is so good. Hardco pvp players are just not that friendly in my experience anyway.
  Gravarg

Spotlight Poster

OP  2/17/13 2:06:24 PM#3
Originally posted by vtravi
Lotro is mostly just a pve game. If you come only for pvp there are many better options. That is one of the reasons that the community is so good. Hardco pvp players are just not that friendly in my experience anyway.

Very true.  PVPers tend to be snobbish.  When I first logged into Monster Play though, and about 18 hours of straight play later, I thought to myself "Hmm this is a great starting point and very fun...but it could be a whole lot better"  Unfortunately, Turbine never did anything with it.  They changed how you get skills/traits, but other than that, nothing much has changed.  They get rid of the OP spider after about 3 hours after launch, when they noticed everyone was playing spider, and 8-10 spiders and a defiler could take a keep lol.