Trending Games | World of Warcraft | EVE Online | ArcheAge | Star Wars: The Old Republic

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,815,226 Users Online:0
Games:731  Posts:6,214,245
Turbine, Inc. | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 04/24/07)  | Pub:Midway Games
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:$14.99
System Req: PC Mac | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

Lord of the Rings Online Forum » General Discussion » Turbine Maintenance Implodes

2 Pages « 1 2 Search
30 posts found
  Yukmarc

Novice Member

2/16/13 7:11:33 AM#21
New Turbine employee tried his skillz with /format c: on the servers.
  Kyarra

Apprentice Member

2/16/13 7:14:29 AM#22
Originally posted by Yukmarc

LOL, I remember the days of employees going to the IT department saying OMG I did C: del *.* by mistake :( I just got back into playing this game a few weeks ago, and miss playing it, but I sure hope they didn't format the character server :P

DukeTyrion

Novice Member

2/16/13 8:34:45 AM#23
Originally posted by Kyarra

LOL, I remember the days of employees going to the IT department saying OMG I did C: del *.* by mistake :( I just got back into playing this game a few weeks ago, and miss playing it, but I sure hope they didn't format the character server :P

I remember the days of; rm -r *

What gets me is, why didn't they do the maintenance earlier in the week, then if anything goes wrong they have the whole week to sort it out (and contact contractors for help). By leaving it until the end of the week any issues are going to mean weekend downtime, which costs them more internally and upsets their client base who have the highest game time at the weekend!

Very short sighted.

Harafnir

Hard Core Member

2/16/13 8:38:40 AM#24
Almost unrelated to OP, more to the people chatting. Am I the only one nowadays that still do "format c:" every few years on the puter? when I telll my friends they think I am insane, but I always see amajor performance boost, so I hav eno problem with it. But I feel kinda alone in my social group.

"This is not a game to be tossed aside lightly.
It should be thrown with great force"

Yukmarc

Novice Member

2/16/13 8:44:45 AM#25
Originally posted by Harafnir
Almost unrelated to OP, more to the people chatting. Am I the only one nowadays that still do "format c:" every few years on the puter? when I telll my friends they think I am insane, but I always see amajor performance boost, so I hav eno problem with it. But I feel kinda alone in my social group.

You aren't the only one. I still do spring cleaning on my computer by backing up music and pictures, formatting and reinstalling everything from scratch. It's a bit old school, but I've been doing it for so long that it just makes sense to me. Get all the latest drivers installed without having old ones still lingering, etc.

My last "Spring Cleaning"  happened a few weeks ago was by accident. I was doing a dual boot with Ubuntu Linux and I totally trashed my partitions... ooops..

Kyarra

Apprentice Member

2/16/13 8:52:22 AM#26

You aren't the only one. I still do spring cleaning on my computer by backing up music and pictures, formatting and reinstalling everything from scratch. It's a bit old school, but I've been doing it for so long that it just makes sense to me. Get all the latest drivers installed without having old ones still lingering, etc.

My last "Spring Cleaning"  happened a few weeks ago was by accident. I was doing a dual boot with Ubuntu Linux and I totally trashed my partitions... ooops..

I also do Spring cleaning of my computer by formatting the hard disc. It does wonders!

Po_gg

Elite Member

2/16/13 8:52:52 AM#27
Almost unrelated to OP, more to the people chatting. Am I the only one nowadays that still do "format c:" every few years on the puter?

I think it depends, based on your purpose :) If you mean wipe and reinstall OS every once and a while, then nope, you're not the only one. If you mean cleaning the disk, erasing sectors and clusters, etc. then yep, you're alone nowadays... (I couldn't even tell when was the last time I typed format, probably before win95... btw never use format without /q with the 1-3T hdds of today:) )

MMOGamer71

Advanced Member

OP  2/16/13 9:09:13 AM#28
Originally posted by Nitth

Originally posted by MMOGamer71

Originally posted by XAPGames I wonder what's up with that?  Restructuring a data-center maybe.   Is a major patch expected?  
https://twitter.com/lotro

"Billing and Support systems upgrades and maintenance."

"Today's maintenance is for our back-end systems, like billing and customer service. Nothing is changing in-game."

Not even "gameplay" related, that's the kicker.

Billing might possibly be the most important system.

Might be, also one you do not take offline on a Thursday - Friday going into a Federal Holiday.

Thenextbigthing

Apprentice Member

2/16/13 9:35:46 AM#29
Originally posted by kevjards
surely if it was the patch they added they could just do a rollback...must be server related or maybe i,m wrong i know very little about how mmo's work..i have a hard enough time understanding them.

It wasn't a patch. It was just routine maintenance and nothing that was intended to patch or adjust gameplay.

WalterWhite

Advanced Member

It's time to cook.

2/16/13 11:38:07 AM#30
The servers are now back up for anyone who may be interested :)

2 Pages « 1 2 Search