Trending Games | ArcheAge | World of Warcraft | Elder Scrolls Online | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,923,640 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,317,221
Turbine, Inc. | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 04/24/07)  | Pub:Midway Games
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:$14.99
System Req: PC Mac | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

Lord of the Rings Online Forum » General Discussion » Tolkien Estate suing Warner Brothers.

2 Pages « 1 2 Search
35 posts found
  DashiDMV

Apprentice Member

11/20/12 3:23:30 PM#21
  OG_Zorvan

Apprentice Member

OP  11/20/12 3:27:56 PM#22
Originally posted by DashiDMV

Could be talking about these:

http://www.lordoftherings-slotmachine.com/about-the-game/lotr-slot-special-game-features/

Aye, that is  likely one of the offending products Warner Brothers allegedly inappropriately licensed.

EA CEO John Riccitiello's on future microtransactions: "When you are six hours into playing Battlefield and you run out of ammo in your clip, and we ask you for a dollar to reload, you're really not very price sensitive at that point in time...We're not gouging, but we're charging."

Slampig

Hard Core Member

Whatever you do, do NOT speak ill of Asheron's Call 2...

11/20/12 3:28:24 PM#23
Originally posted by nationalcity
I'm so sick of seeing these lawsuits about stupid **** it's getting rather old and you can tell how damn greedy people are......

The estate is trying to hold the property in a certain light, and that light does not include slot machines. It has nothing to do with greed, it has everything to do with the legacy of the Middle-Earth property and not turning it into some lame Star Wars crap, or even worse, into a marketing turd like KISS...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

Isane

Novice Member

"Some do , Some don''t , Others just cry"

Jean Sali

11/20/12 3:29:54 PM#24
I'm so sick of seeing these lawsuits about stupid **** it's getting rather old and you can tell how damn greedy people are......

I guess if you patented or created something of value and someone ripped you off you would just shrug and say thats life.

Then you get people in the real worl who protect their owwn IP.

Thenextbigthing

Apprentice Member

11/29/12 1:47:30 PM#25
Originally posted by Slampig

The estate is trying to hold the property in a certain light, and that light does not include slot machines. It has nothing to do with greed, it has everything to do with the legacy of the Middle-Earth property and not turning it into some lame Star Wars crap, or even worse, into a marketing turd like KISS...

If you believe that you'll believe anything.

Thenextbigthing

Apprentice Member

11/29/12 1:49:20 PM#26
Originally posted by Thenextbigthing

If the Tolkien estate was serious about the professor's legacy why is lotr appearing everywhere, including as Lego? It's about money, pure and simple.

Sovrath

Elite Member

11/29/12 1:52:43 PM#27

It's not greedy at all.

They signed a contract, they were granted certain permissions and that's it.

I mean, lord of the rings slot machines? I would sue them to get that stuff removed.

RandomDown

Apprentice Member

11/29/12 2:01:18 PM#28
The things like lockboxes in LOTRO aren't necessarily gambling. In some jurisdictions it doesn't apply as you always get something of "equal" value or greater for it. So you buy the key/box for $1, then you get a potion or various sundry items that total a $1, but not that sweet mount or something. You weren't technically gambling in the legal sense in that case.
  Params7

Spotlight Poster

12/09/12 1:54:09 PM#29

The Tolkiens are screwed up bunch. You can't even call them elitists, when they disowned one of their own (I think it was JRR's nephew) for liking and publicly supporting the movies.

Christopher Tolkien needs to take a chill pill and stop pretending like his father's work is his own.

FrodoFragins

Hard Core Member

12/09/12 2:06:52 PM#30
Originally posted by Uhwop

You're right, it has nothing to do with LoTRO.  It's about games that they didn't give anyone permission to make. 

Warner Bros. doesn't own The Hobbit or LoTR, they have no right to make anything that they can profit off of.  The Tolkein estate didn't give ayone permission to make a gambling game using thier property, and Warner Bros. didn't get permission to have two mobile games made using the IP. 

The Tokein estate has every right to sue Warner Bros, and the only people being greedy is WB.  They should have respected someone elses IP and obtained the rights through a lisence to produce the games.  Turbine has a lisence to contunue producing the LotRO; that doesn't give WB the right to make 2 more games. 

Are some of you saying that if you created something that because world famous you wouldn't mind if a corporation like Warner Bros. used it to make themselves money, giving you nothing in return, let alone even bothering to ask you if it was ok? 

It remains to be seen if WB overstepped their bounds.  A gambling game is a physical game, it depends on the terms of the contract.

If mobile games are not covered by the contract as they are not physically distributed, then any downloadable LOTR game such as LOTRO could be a violation as well.  They could force WB to only sell the game and all content physically.  That means no more digital downloads or items in the store.  That would shut down LOTRO very quickly.

jamestorres

Novice Member

12/11/12 2:49:02 AM#31
The problem, according to The Hollywood Reporter, is that the defendants of the lawsuit have breached the contract with the creation of the “highly offensive” slots games. Probably, this is just a misunderstanding between the two parties. I hope this will settle soon for them to create more movies like "The Lord of the Rings” and “The Hobbit”.  
  jedensuscg

Novice Member

12/11/12 2:57:22 AM#32

jedensuscg

Novice Member

12/11/12 2:58:22 AM#33
Originally posted by botrytis

Well, if they did not get permission to produce an online LOTR gambling game, then they should be sued. It is about rights and how someone oversteps those rights.

Not all suits are frivolous. The Apple - Google - Samsung fiasco comes to mind.

Umm unless your an apple fanboy and completely against the progression of technology, then apple-samsung lawsuit is indeed frivilous.

rather its a pathetic attempt from apple to stop samsung from innovating  (and sweeping the smartphone market) rather then innovate themselves.

rojoArcueid

Advanced Member

"It is double pleasure to deceive the deceiver". - Niccolo Machiavelli

12/11/12 3:02:11 AM#34
Originally posted by Papadam
Originally posted by skydiver12

Hard to tell if it even affects LOTRO (turbine - owned by warner) since it's not directly mentioned in that article.

If it does, i hope it puts an end to that ridiculous store. (which it will not sadly).
Probably only the box keys get removed.

Nothing in the article indicates that this would effect lotro in anyway. This is about slo machines and facebook/mobile games.

Dont see why they now would have any problem with a game that is over 5 years old.

Dont know whats ridicullous about the store, one of the fairest f2p versions there is.

the article says "specifically slot machines and Online Games, my wild guess is that Lotro is an online game so it would be affected. Like you said, Lotro is over 5 years old so i dont see how were Tolkien Estate not aware of its existence to just sue them now. lol

dancingstar

Elite Member

12/16/12 12:31:03 PM#35

If the Tolkien estate was serious about the professor's legacy why is lotr appearing everywhere, including as Lego? It's about money, pure and simple.

The Tolkien estate can't do a damn thing about LOTR Lego, action figures, board games, chess sets, tea-cosies, or pretty much any other tangible merchandise. Ron Tolkien sold the movie and merchandise rights back in '68 to pay off Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs.  

Saul Zaentz a.k.a. Middle-Earth Enterprises (formerly Tolkien Enterprises) might point-blank refuse, or at least seriously up the asking price, if someone tried to get permission to do something they thought might devalue the brand in the medium to long term, but yeah, they're in it for the money. Chris Tolkien while he may have edited a number of volumes of his father's discarded drafts, back-of-envelope notes and laundry lists is still clearly serious about protecting J.R.R.'s life-work -- hell, if he was purely in it for the money he'd have licensed the TV rights for the Silmarillion to the people who did the Game of Thrones TV.

2 Pages « 1 2 Search