Trending Games | ArcheAge | Swordsman | World of Warcraft | WildStar

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,736,743 Users Online:0
Games:714  Posts:6,175,449
Turbine, Inc. | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 04/24/07)  | Pub:Midway Games
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:$14.99
System Req: PC Mac | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

Lord of the Rings Online Forum » General Discussion » New Player about to learn MMOs with Lord of the Rings Online

6 posts found
  keithian

Hard Core Member

OP  12/07/12 6:25:04 PM#1

Im about to teach someone MMOs through this game. I haven't played for about 4 or so years. I remember in Vista when I decided to take a peek I was having issues even logging into the game getting some time of Runtime errors. Is the game from a fresh install playable on all operating systems, or are there issues with current Operating Systems (Vista 64, Windows 7, Windows 8, etc).

Also, any recommended server for newbies so when I am not around so he can play? Is Landoval or whatever it was called still the RP server and is it still pretty active?

Thanks,

There Is Always Hope!

marcust

Existentialist

12/07/12 6:28:28 PM#2

I'm a big fan of my server (Crickhollow) though its not a busy one.

I've heard stories from people that have gone to Windows 8 that some drivers are not yet available, I'd steer clear of Windows 8 for now.

Playing: Darkfall
Also played and worth mentioning: UO (Oceania), WoW (Thaurissan), Lineage2 (Lionna), Lotro (Crickhollow)

Grunty

Hard Core Member

12/07/12 6:40:10 PM#3

Landroval is one of the more populated servers. The players are mostly friendly. Role players are not intrusive and do add to the flavor of the server. The anti-RPer trolls that occasionally show up are usually shut down rather quickly.

You'll have to actively look for groups.  Most people solo in the early parts of the game but some will join groups if they are started. Once you get East and South of Bree, players tend to get a little serious about leveling.

I'd suggest starting in the Hobbit area to get a greater variety of things to do other than kill stuff... pie runs, mail delivery, chicken runs...  They are a good way to introduce someone new about how to navigate around a fairly large world.

keithian

Hard Core Member

OP  12/07/12 6:40:47 PM#4

Thanks. Does anyone know if the button you click for the free download is the high or low res client? It doesn't tell you when you hit download, only that it is for PC instead of MAC.

...never mind....the folder created is saying standard. Time to start the download all over again lol.

There Is Always Hope!

strangiato2112

Spotlight Poster

12/07/12 7:13:01 PM#5
Originally posted by keithian

Also, any recommended server for newbies so when I am not around so he can play? Is Landoval or whatever it was called still the RP server and is it still pretty active?

Landroval is still pretty well populated. Brandywine is the most populated server, but the Landroval community is much, much better.

keithian

Hard Core Member

OP  12/07/12 7:16:18 PM#6
Originally posted by strangiato2112
Originally posted by keithian

Landroval is still pretty well populated. Brandywine is the most populated server, but the Landroval community is much, much better.

Thank you. Since it will mostly be just the 2 of us, Landroval it is. I had some good experiences long ago on that server. Glad it is still around.

There Is Always Hope!