Trending Games | ArcheAge | Elder Scrolls Online | Black Gold | Trove

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,774,338 Users Online:0
Games:720  Posts:6,188,438
Turbine, Inc. | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 04/24/07)  | Pub:Midway Games
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:$14.99
System Req: PC Mac | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

Lord of the Rings Online Forum » General Discussion » This is late, but they really did a great job on the Evendim revamp

10 posts found
  trancejeremy

Advanced Member

OP  8/26/12 3:20:25 AM#1
I had only thought they added the little Hobbit town down south. But during the recent double XP weekend, I dusted off a couple of my low level alts and played though Evendim. I was surprised to see a whole bunch of new quests around that Ranger island (Tinnudir?), including that quest chain that didn't require you to turn the quests in after you finished them. As well as some quests basically rewarding exploration - finding things in the ruined estates. They also re-did some of the more annoying quests, like the one at the Eave-spires where you previously had to run through that wolf-wannabe camp three times. Now you only need to fight your way through it once. That really bugged me. "Here, go fight your way through the camp to get X". "Oh great. By the way, I want you to go back there and do Y" If only they could redesign other parts of the game like Evendim.

R.I.P. City of Heroes and my 17 characters there

Rocketeer

Advanced Member

8/26/12 4:37:28 AM#2
Evendim has become one of my faviorites aswell, and i second that they ought to redo other regions like it. For example trollshaws, horrible, horrible region. Come to think of it they did a good job with Lonelands aswell.
  Po_gg

Elite Member

8/26/12 4:58:35 AM#3

A bit late indeed, the Evendim revamp is almost ancient history :)

But yeah, now it's the perfect choice after you finish with Radagast in LL, basically put you on a train at lvl30 and after a great line of quests, exploration and fun you hop off at lvl42-ish. I guess since the revamp everybody plays it through during levelling. A nice bonus that the rangers found some spare boats, so you don't have swim long and tiresome miles in Nenuial.

Last time they revamped the first part of Moria with similar outcome, it has now a much better 'flow'. (or as the opposing playergroup would say, it's dumbed down and too easy now. It's hard to please everyone :) )

Po_gg

Elite Member

8/26/12 5:09:12 AM#4

almost forget: you didn't mention Annuminas, maybe you skipped it. Now Annuminas isn't lvl50 anymore, they revamped the place together with Evendim. But it's even better, because there's Orchalwë :)

If you missed it, go back and give him a try, it's a unique and fun way of questing. (maybe not unique, but I never saw it before in mmo's)

Nizur

Spotlight Poster

8/26/12 1:01:15 PM#5
I've been away for years and didn't know they revamped a lot of areas. Once I can get my hands on the native Mac client coming out, I'm really tempted to start a new character and go through everything again.

Current: None
Played: WoW, CoX, SWG, LotRO, EVE, AoC, VG, CO, Ryzom, DF, WAR
Tried: Lineage2, Dofus, EQ2, CoS, FE, UO, Wurm, Wakfu
Future: The Repopulation, ArcheAge, Black Desert, EQN

Tibernicus

Apprentice Member

8/26/12 1:02:36 PM#6
If only the game was a proper sandbox like it was during alpha and not a linear quest hub game with invisible walls. It'd be cool to get to explore middle earth...
  kevjards

Apprentice Member

8/26/12 1:03:40 PM#7
i hated trollshaws..one of the only places i didnt enjoy..but the music there was amazing.yeah that place needs a revamp.almost forgot..Evendim was not part of the original game on release..think it came a few months after..but a great addition nonetheless
  Nizur

Spotlight Poster

8/26/12 1:22:06 PM#8
Originally posted by kevjards
Evendim was not part of the original game on release..think it came a few months after..but a great addition nonetheless

That's correct. There were a few places you couldn't get to on release that were added not too long after. I remember when you couldn't go further north than the Brandy Hills in Breeland. There was an invisible wall at the top of the hills.

Current: None
Played: WoW, CoX, SWG, LotRO, EVE, AoC, VG, CO, Ryzom, DF, WAR
Tried: Lineage2, Dofus, EQ2, CoS, FE, UO, Wurm, Wakfu
Future: The Repopulation, ArcheAge, Black Desert, EQN

Po_gg

Elite Member

8/27/12 9:07:48 AM#9
Originally posted by Nizur
I've been away for years and didn't know they revamped a lot of areas. Once I can get my hands on the native Mac client coming out, I'm really tempted to start a new character and go through everything again.

I wouldn't say a lot (honestly I'm not a big dev.diary reader, so I only notice it when I stumble across a change :) )

Evendim and Moria's first half got a full revamp, with quest updates, sometimes npc relocations, in Moria there are new routes, etc. With the purpose of (depending who do you ask) fluent gameplay, revitalize the area - or - watering up, solofication, support the n00bs, etc. I'm with the first group, in my opinion both revamps are good. (in Moria there's still exists a few bugged route, when your goat stuck or jump off of a cliff... some things never change)

They revamped instances as well, last time Fornost, also for revitalize it (almost nobody played Fornost). They changed the classes a few times (if you had a mini, you'll have a great time re-learn to playing it, maybe minis changed the most.) Actually, based on how many years you've been away, you will see a lot of changes. Oh, and we don't have radiance now :)

Rocketeer

Advanced Member

8/27/12 11:02:21 AM#10

The revamp of Lonelands was the first major revamp they did, its been some time but i still remember the mess agamaur was before ...

Really i have to say that i like the recent work of Turbine alot. Not necessarily the design decisions like taking away alot of the elite mobs from landscape, but the work itself is topnotch. They really took the time to see what the problem in a region was and addressed it.