Trending Games | Trove | Elder Scrolls Online | Guild Wars 2 | Shroud of the Avatar

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,767,390 Users Online:0
Games:720  Posts:6,186,365
Turbine, Inc. | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 04/24/07)  | Pub:Midway Games
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:$14.99
System Req: PC Mac | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

9 posts found
  scot835

Novice Member

OP  5/16/09 6:41:13 AM#1

Who agrees with me that swiming under water in this game would be cool and exploritory. I went the games main site and put this on their suggestion forums, and youb would of thought i was pulling thier eye teeth (geez), "we dont need that", "it would take to much rescourses. Bla bla bla.

Game On.

kazmo

Novice Member

5/16/09 6:47:57 AM#2

You'll see many people say that it wouldn't add much to the game, but if it did they would have to add water mobs and what not. Then the person will go on to claim it unreasonable to do so because the players would need some form of water-breath or face extreme drowning frustration. They'll say it doesn't fit the lore when there isn't supposed to be magic, etc...

Meanwhile, this said person is carrying around sacks of resources, (stone, timber, metal) a large arsenal of vendor trash weapons, alternative gear and a horse in their back pocket. Oh, and a telepathic global OOC channel that allows Middle Earth folk to communicate across the span of the world with their minds I guess.

scot835

Novice Member

OP  5/16/09 6:49:55 AM#3

well al that said, i think it would be nice.

Game On.

Mesmerinda

Novice Member

We are blind to the darkness within.

6/07/09 5:04:28 PM#4

I agree swimming, or rather diving and underwater swimming should be included for the simple pleasure of immersion, doesn't have to be any water mobs or things like that, but since the underwater landscape is already sculpted why not add the ability to dive into it? :)

kamikkaze

Novice Member

7/02/09 1:26:32 AM#5

for now im thankful for the boat in evendim.

this content is interesting, but here go the "but":

i read somewhere that hobbits dont "like" water...well swimming is not one of their favorites sports XD

adding content underwater would be kinda non-Lotr lore...cause i dont remember anything happening underwater in tolkien's story;

but as i said, interesting idea..

LOTRO player

Elrohon

Apprentice Member

'The saying that you have a better game is the fear that the other might be better' -Me

8/16/09 12:24:31 AM#6
Originally posted by kamikkaze

for now im thankful for the boat in evendim.

this content is interesting, but here go the "but":

i read somewhere that hobbits dont "like" water...well swimming is not one of their favorites sports XD

adding content underwater would be kinda non-Lotr lore...cause i dont remember anything happening underwater in tolkien's story;

but as i said, interesting idea..

Everything but the ring falling into a river and Smeagol or his friend retrieving it if that is in the lore, that is probably the most interesting  thing thats happened under water.

UW1975

Novice Member

10/18/09 9:40:18 PM#7

Honestly I fail to see how swimming underwater will increase the playability of the game (which quests? Save the Mermaid or kill 10 fishes?), when they are tons of "dry" lands to cover (ranging for Northern Mirkwood to Osgiliath, Minias Tirith, Rohan and Mordor).

On the other hand, something on the water like sea battles could interesting but they need to push the game further West in order to do that (Belfalas, Tharbad,etc.)

thorwood

Novice Member

10/18/09 10:03:48 PM#8

Swimming could be fun or no fun at all depending on how it is implemented.

Swimming in Everquest was a nightmare.  I have not so fond memories of drowning.  As a caster, the slightest bump would move me and interrupt any spell being cast. If a monster fought a caster close up in the water,  the caster died as they could not get a spell off.  If you died underwater, resurrection underwater would result in another drowning unless you happened to have gear that allowed you to breath underwater or you very quickly got an underwater breathing buff.  The underwater breathing buff was very short, about 10 or 15 minutes from memory, a single target spell that consumed components, and a real pain to keep up on a whole raid.

In Everquest 2 resurrection underwater resulted in a death before your screen even loaded. In the early days of EQ2 when you did not consent to resurrection,  a healer could give you multiple deaths by resurrecting you repeatedly underwater.

soponyai

Novice Member

"Only a fool trusts his life to a weapon."

10/11/10 5:59:38 AM#9
Originally posted by aeroplane22

You'll see many people say that it wouldn't add much to the game, but if it did they would have to add water mobs and what not. Then the person will go on to claim it unreasonable to do so because the players would need some form of water-breath or face extreme drowning frustration. They'll say it doesn't fit the lore when there isn't supposed to be magic, etc...

Meanwhile, this said person is carrying around sacks of resources, (stone, timber, metal) a large arsenal of vendor trash weapons, alternative gear and a horse in their back pocket. Oh, and a telepathic global OOC channel that allows Middle Earth folk to communicate across the span of the world with their minds I guess.

Do not mix game mechanics with immersion. They are entirely different matters. Yes, you have to push buttons as a player to fight, but that does not mean your character would know about it. Same with OOC (you said it yourself, out of character) chat.