Trending Games | Guild Wars 2 | EverQuest Next | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn | World of Warcraft

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,920,893 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,313,023
Square Enix | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 08/27/13)  | Pub:Square Enix
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Retail | Retail Price:$29.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC PS3 Playstation 4 | Out of date info? Let us know!

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn Forum » General Discussion » I can't believe ther's no xp loss upon death

4 Pages 1 2 3 4 » Search
61 posts found
  Dzone

Apprentice Member

OP  7/02/13 11:43:43 PM#1

That's the one thing that annoys me the most, is that I died and noticed I didn't loose any xp, never have, even after taking over 10 times to complete my gladiator class quest.

I don't want this to turn into GW 2, were everyone would do a dungeon run, die over and over, respawn in the dungeon, then just run back and wack away at it. I hated that part of GW2.

I hope its just for beta, but i'm getting this vibe that its gona be like this at official launch :(. Hopefully wont be a deal breaker for me, but no penalties for dying, that may ruin it for me. Plus it will alow even the dumbest players to cap in this game, i'd hate to party with people at end game, not nowing there job roles by that point.

Ehllfhire

Novice Member

Playing the FFXIV 2.0 Demo

7/02/13 11:50:08 PM#2
XP loss was the stupidest concept ever made. I hated that the most about FFXI, run dynamis, spend next week getting 75 back on a BLM. Yes good riddance.

Any graphical, audio, or gameplay restrictions not seen in other mmos but found in FFXIV can be blamed on one thing.
PS3

striderbob

Novice Member

7/02/13 11:51:51 PM#3

You armor durability will take a hit.

I am personally glad it's gone. I found it annoying at cap to have to go and keep getting exp from time-to-time to stay at cap.

tollbooth

Novice Member

7/02/13 11:55:19 PM#4

It gets even worse when you realize it's faster to just die and respawn than have someone raise you because you don't have to deal with weakness.

I played FFXI for 6 years and lvl'd 18 jobs to 75, and I think removing the xp loss is a massive step backwards.  Every time I d'lvl i hated it... so I stopped dying.  I learned how to play the game better because I didn't want to keep losing xp.

I mean I realize it's a modern concept so many people don't realize the benefit of punishing you for doing something stupid.  /sarcasm

svann

Novice Member

7/03/13 12:36:37 AM#5
Yes, but they brought back respawning at your spawn point instead of a convenient local graveyard so theres that.
  Hyanmen

Elite Member

7/03/13 1:05:48 AM#6
Originally posted by tollbooth

I mean I realize it's a modern concept so many people don't realize the benefit of punishing you for doing something stupid.

The punishment is you die.

Just because the game didn't decide to kill my kittens and piss on my grave doesn't mean dying doesn't suck.

Dying in itself is the punishment. You have to start whatever you were doing from the beginning again. You failed.

It's not rocket science.

"Housing is standard in most mmo's."
- yolteotl79

Deliverus_Gamora

Novice Member

7/03/13 1:09:08 AM#7

I understand that it kind of sucks to see no real penalty to death, thus not really pushing you to think outside of the box or increase your skill while hunting. However, in Everquest, Rift, and especially AION; I hated the fact that someone could train mobs over me, I could lag, or disconnect and lose a day or more worth of XP. Now, we do have to repair our armor after each death but so far (I only made it to lvl 21 on my highest character) the price did not seem to count as a true penalty for death because the cost remain the same whether the gear was at 99 percent or 1 percent. So, I would like to see some scale to balance that out.....in summation...

I bet at later levels we will see a much higher cost of repair for upper level and uncommon gear. So, don't worry the game will weed those people out by allowing us to just watch them beg for change or kill low end monsters cause they can't afford repairs. 

Torvaldr

Elite Member

7/03/13 1:13:03 AM#8
Originally posted by Deliverus_Gamora

I understand that it kind of sucks to see no real penalty to death, thus not really pushing you to think outside of the box or increase your skill while hunting. However, in Everquest, Rift, and especially AION; I hated the fact that someone could train mobs over me, I could lag, or disconnect and lose a day or more worth of XP. Now, we do have to repair our armor after each death but so far (I only made it to lvl 21 on my highest character) the price did not seem to count as a true penalty for death because the cost remain the same whether the gear was at 99 percent or 1 percent. So, I would like to see some scale to balance that out.....in summation...

I bet at later levels we will see a much higher cost of repair for upper level and uncommon gear. So, don't worry the game will weed those people out by allowing us to just watch them beg for change or kill low end monsters cause they can't afford repairs. 

You don't lose xp in Rift for being defeated.  You get a debuff you have to pay to remove.  If the debuff stacks too high then you're weakened until you remove it.

Curse you AquaScum!

rojoArcueid

Advanced Member

"It is double pleasure to deceive the deceiver". - Niccolo Machiavelli

7/03/13 1:21:43 AM#9
was there any death penalty in single player Final Fantasy games? i dont remember. If there was not any then i dont care not losing xp in FF14. I wouldnt mind some penalty to make players play more carefully but xp loss is just meh.... waste of time.

rojoArcueid

Advanced Member

7/03/13 1:24:36 AM#10
Originally posted by Torvaldr

You don't lose xp in Rift for being defeated.  You get a debuff you have to pay to remove.  If the debuff stacks too high then you're weakened until you remove it.

i like RIfts penalty but i think dying 10 times before being  weakend is just crappy. They have to make it more severe, after maybe the second or third death in a row.

twrule

Novice Member

7/03/13 1:32:16 AM#11

I can't relate to this line of thought. In no way has a harsh death penalty ever made my experience more enjoyable in any game, especially in a game that focuses primarily on group-oriented PvE like the FF MMOs do.

The enjoyment factor in such games, for me at least, comes from success in the group-oriented problem-solving and even comraderie that comes from overcoming challenging, novel group encounters or situations, and the social activities that correlate to that. In other words it comes from having fun with others as a community as you experience the content together, not from incurring mechanically induced punishment and somehow convincing yourself that you are becoming a "better player" (whatever that would mean) because of it. It seems like that's the point of an *MMO*; otherwise why not go play Dark Souls...

Btw, the death system in FFXIV is clearly (if you have played both games you know this) not like GW2; you do not respawn nearby and just run back while the encounter is still in progress. It is more like WoW, Rift, etc., in that you lose time (from respawning further away and having to restart any encounter you were in) and in-game currency (ultimately); honestly the currency loss is negligible in most cases in such games, it's the time lost that is the real penalty, and that is punishing enough in my opinion (that along with the bitter taste of knowing you failed and possibly let down your companions). Loosing xp just tacks on ever more, sometimes substantially more, lost time, often requiring a repetition of content you've already gone through, for no apparent reason.

Deliverus_Gamora

Novice Member

7/03/13 1:33:42 AM#12

Yeah, I remember that now. Well crap, now I can't remember which MMO I played that had another terrible xp loss penalty. I remember Tera was crystals from the armor and what not, and GW2 was a "lol, its ok try again"

simsalabim77

Apprentice Member

7/03/13 1:34:29 AM#13
They're doing what every single themepark has done in the last 13 years; attempt to cater to the hardcore and the casuals. Can't have a harsh death penalty in a game you're aiming towards casual players. If you want a harsh death penalty, punch yourself in the dick when you die. 
  Agrias34

Novice Member

7/03/13 1:38:39 AM#14

Your penalty for dying is losing gear durability which takes quite a lot of Gil to repair at early levels, and also any gold you have to spend in order to teleport or travel back to where you were at when you died to finish up quests or do whatever you were doing.

When in dungeons, they are timed.  You only have 90 minutes to complete the dungeon or you lose and can't finish off the boss.  Dungeons have a prerequisite level required to enter, like level 15 for the first dungeon.  So if you were to still lose XP on death, then what?  You would be kicked out of the dungeon and you couldn't do it anymore cuz your level dropped too low? Or when you died and had to spend 5-15 minutes to walk back to the dungeon isn't going to get anything done when there is a time limit on how long you have to complete the dungeon before losing.  All this creates is a hardcore minded player and gameplay and people would rage over others who might accidentally die or want to kick them or ban them or have other consequences only because of the harsh limits you guys seem to want for some reason on dying.

XP loss on death is probably the worst concept that could ever enter the FFXIV universe because how it is currently being created, it has no real place in it at all.  It just wouldn't work, simple as that.

Murugan

Advanced Member

7/03/13 1:44:15 AM#15

Yeah, I remember that now. Well crap, now I can't remember which MMO I played that had another terrible xp loss penalty. I remember Tera was crystals from the armor and what not, and GW2 was a "lol, its ok try again"

Vanguard had an exp penalty.  EXP debt, you couldn't delevel but you would go into debt.  Because everyone loves games that simulate the funnest part of modern human existence, debt.

I actually lead vgplayers (vanguard's old database system) in deaths while I played Vanguard.  I died so much that I broke the exp debt system and had to have it reset by a GM.  I played a monk and teleport+feign death is a way to explore a lot of high level hostile areas you can't sneak through (true sight etc.).  I'm very proud of my accomplishment, I feel I can say I successfully cheated death.

http://xivpads.com/?1595680
http://guildwork.com/users/murugan

Arthasm

Hard Core Member

7/03/13 1:46:48 AM#16
You have that crap in almost all chinese/korean P2W F2P games. Don't see how this will fit into this game.
  Brialyn

Novice Member

7/03/13 1:53:43 AM#17

I can understand wishing the death penalty was in FFXIV (I am quite happy it's gone personally) but that only being a deal breaker seems a bit extreme.  Don't get me wrong it's your wallet so feel free to vote with it how you choose, that's the beauty of this. 

Frankly dying is enough of a penalty for me.  It motivates me to figure out what the heck I did wrong without losing the xp. Also to have to run back gets sort of old to so that's an extra kicker.  It's enough to motivate me to play better. 

Currently Playing: FFXIV:ARR
Looking Forward to: Wildstar

rojoArcueid

Advanced Member

7/03/13 1:59:19 AM#18
Originally posted by Agrias34

Your penalty for dying is losing gear durability which takes quite a lot of Gil to repair at early levels, and also any gold you have to spend in order to teleport or travel back to where you were at when you died to finish up quests or do whatever you were doing.

i have an idea to improve the gear durability loss as a death penalty. If you dont repair it and the durability reaches Zero you lose the item forever. EDIT: upon reaching zero you lose the gear but the remains becomes a piece of ragged cloth or broken metal you can use for crafting. SOunds better.

Lord.Bachus

Elite Member

I believe in life before death... So dont forget to enjoy it while you still can.

7/03/13 2:01:56 AM#19
Leave the players the choice, XP loss, or a corpse run...Offcourse missing a few pieces of gear and your coins that are on your lost body at the bottom of that pit... Gather some friends and go and recover it.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

rojoArcueid

Advanced Member

7/03/13 2:05:24 AM#20
Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
Leave the players the choice, XP loss, or a corpse run...Offcourse missing a few pieces of gear and your coins that are on your lost body at the bottom of that pit... Gather some friends and go and recover it.

So if there is an overpowered boss next to my corpse and nobody is there to help me get to it... Can i use a grapling hook to pull the corpse from a 30 yard range away form the boss? :D

4 Pages 1 2 3 4 » Search