Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,849,392 Users Online:0
Games:732  Posts:6,223,225
Square Enix | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 08/27/13)  | Pub:Square Enix
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Retail | Retail Price:$29.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC PS3 Playstation 4 | Out of date info? Let us know!

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn Forum » General Discussion » Do alot of people still play?

2 Pages « 1 2 Search
27 posts found
  Colt47

Apprentice Member

4/11/14 12:58:20 PM#21
The downside to the game is that once the main story line runs dry, things get pretty tedious fairly quickly.  The last patch was the start of the "hard mode" content and they continued that trend in patch 2.2 so for those not interested in getting their face smashed in repeatedly, the end game content is primarily beastmen dailies, Fate Grinding, Crystal Tower, and treasure hunting.  I play the game on and off now, but I'd give it a play life of about six months at max depending on play style.  (Play life being how long someone owning the game is going to keep paying for subs).  
  ZizouX

Hard Core Member

4/11/14 3:36:52 PM#22

I respectfully disagree with the people who say there isn't anything to do end game after the story stops.

First of all, the story does not stop.  We get new story progression every patch.. The story keeps developing and changing and it's AWESOME!  As of 2 weeks ago... this is what you can do...

Traditional Hub Quests

FATES

Levequests

Guildhests

Gathering

Crafting

Treasure Hunts

16+ Dungeons

Primals (Ifrit, Garuda, Titan, Levaithan, King Moogle Mog, Ultima,) Story, Hard Mode and Extreme Modes

PvP

Crystal Tower 24 man raid

Coil Turns 1-5

Coil Turns 6-9

Guild/Company Housing

Daily Beastman Tribes

Relic Quest Chain

Retainer Ventures

Grand Company Provisioning Quests

Seasonal/Holiday Events - Practically EVERY month

Glamour/Vanity System - Can choose however you want to look

Here's the difference, if you don't like 90% of the things I mentioned, this game will suck for you.  But, please for the sake of intellectual honesty, do not claim "there's nothing to do."  If you don't like doing the things that are AVAILABLE to do, that's cool, move on, find something else.  But to say the game doesn't have anything to do it a lie.

Xatsh

Hard Core Member

4/11/14 4:02:02 PM#23
Originally posted by ZizouX

I respectfully disagree with the people who say there isn't anything to do end game after the story stops.

First of all, the story does not stop.  We get new story progression every patch.. The story keeps developing and changing and it's AWESOME!  As of 2 weeks ago... this is what you can do...

Traditional Hub Quests

FATES

Levequests

Guildhests

Gathering

Crafting

Treasure Hunts

16+ Dungeons

Primals (Ifrit, Garuda, Titan, Levaithan, King Moogle Mog, Ultima,) Story, Hard Mode and Extreme Modes

PvP

Coil Turns 1-5

Coil Turns 6-9

Guild/Company Housing

Daily Beastman Tribes

Relic Quest Chain

Retainer Ventures

Here's the difference, if you don't like 90% of the things I mentioned, this game will suck for you.  But, please for the sake of intellectual honesty, do not claim "there's nothing to do."  If you don't like doing the things that are AVAILABLE to do, that's cool, move on, find something else.  But to say the game doesn't have anything to do it a lie.

There is a ton to do after endgame but it depends on your mind set.

in my opinion the valid endgame options are as follows:

1) Hardmode primals (1 run through of all 3 to get a relic weapon)

2) Farming (3 new dungeons) These are weekly to get myth and sold. points to get gear/upgrade items

3) Leviathan EX

4) Moogle EX (Debatable since the gear it drops is subpar)

5) Coil turns 6-9 (will not be able to do it until you spend alot of time grinding I90+ gear.)

6) Relic upgrade quest... 1 hell of a grind, but gives you something to do while waiting on a party for the above 5.

7) Once a day duty finder. A way for SE to reduce Ques for people leveling in low level dungeons. Gives good tome rewards once a day. (These are a daily basically)

Things this game in my opinion that have been negated or are just time wasters:

Crystal tower drops subpar gear and you can skip over it easily with little to no negative effect.

Coils 1-5 are too hard for the subpar drops they have due to the ease of getting I90 soldiery gear with patch 2.2.

All old dungeons pre-2.2 are more or less worthless in rewards. Horrible tomes and drops

All EX primals are now worthless. Only good drop is a vanity mount. (you should not even worry about the weapons. The upgraded relic is the same... and you  need that to continue the quest in #6 above... just get that instead.)

Beastman tribes are a time sink. The only reward is a vanity mount  and vanity pet after weeks of grinding. Tome rewards are not worth the time invested compaired to running dungeons.

Housing is mainly vanity atm, they say other stuff will come in the future though.

There is PvP, but yea I would rank FFXIV PvP in the bottom 20% of all pvp in mmos. Not ballances, Gear > Skill, and only arena combat. Will be getting frontlines in a future patch. But even then I cannot see this even coming close to pvp focused game.

All Grandcompany rewards besides probally ventures and Skill point resets are worthless. You can buy a better piece of armor for like 20k from the AH.

Fates outside relics are a waste of time endgame wise, unless you are going for vanity.

Treasure hunts are ok. Small amounts of gil and vanity (Vanity is a theme of most the endgame content if you notice)

Seasonal Events = Pure Vanity (Should be expected though)

Leve Quest, Company Leves, and Guildhest are purly for leveling so currently they have no value at endgame.

Gathering and Crafting. I guess. But keep in mind all gathering and crafted gear is only as good as "ENTREE" level endgame gear. The tome gear completly outclasses it in every way.

Materia System. Too much restrictions. (SE is trying to prevent rmt... more or less makes all crafting/gathering a entree activity in endgame.)

Retainer Ventures. See gathering/crafting. (Also this content is like 20secs once a day per retainer... can this even be considered content?)

Honestly most the above the only reason to do them is to unlock something else that is valid in endgame.

This above is my opinion and the opinion of many others. Many will disagree and argue all content in the game is valid and we only choose to not do it. So it depends on your camp. If you care about vanity or are a completionist then there is an enormous amount of stuff to do. If you only care about things that will better yourself or your guild... the game is fairly limited endgame wise. More or less the same as WoW.

but more on the topic of this thread. There are alot of people playing. This game is currently going strong, the population is actually going up. It is not everyones cup of tea though. If you want a cutting edge mmo, or an action mmo, or you hated WoW STAY FAR FAR FAR AWAY FROM THIS.

ZizouX

Hard Core Member

4/11/14 4:13:55 PM#24
Originally posted by Xatsh
Originally posted by ZizouX

Traditional Hub Quests

FATES

Levequests

Guildhests

Gathering

Crafting

Treasure Hunts

16+ Dungeons

PvP

Coil Turns 1-5

Coil Turns 6-9

Guild/Company Housing

Daily Beastman Tribes

Relic Quest Chain

Retainer Ventures

There is a ton to do after endgame but it depends on your mind set.

in my opinion the valid endgame options are as follows:

1) Hardmode primals (1 run through of all 3 to get a relic weapon)

2) Farming (3 new dungeons) These are weekly to get myth and sold. points to get gear/upgrade items

3) Leviathan EX

4) Moogle EX (Debatable since the gear it drops is subpar)

5) Coil turns 6-9 (will not be able to do it until you spend alot of time grinding I90+ gear.)

6) Relic upgrade quest... 1 hell of a grind, but gives you something to do while waiting on a party for the above 5.

7) Once a day duty finder. A way for SE to reduce Ques for people leveling in low level dungeons. Gives good tome rewards once a day. (These are a daily basically)

Things this game in my opinion that have been negated or are just time wasters:

Crystal tower drops subpar gear and you can skip over it easily with little to no negative effect.

Coils 1-5 are too hard for the subpar drops they have due to the ease of getting I90 soldiery gear with patch 2.2.

All old dungeons pre-2.2 are more or less worthless in rewards. Horrible tomes and drops

All EX primals are now worthless. Only good drop is a vanity mount. (you should not even worry about the weapons. The upgraded relic is the same... and you  need that to continue the quest in #6 above... just get that instead.)

Beastman tribes are a time sink. The only reward is a vanity mount  and vanity pet after weeks of grinding. Tome rewards are not worth the time invested compaired to running dungeons.

Housing is mainly vanity atm, they say other stuff will come in the future though.

There is PvP, but yea I would rank FFXIV PvP in the bottom 20% of all pvp in mmos. Not ballances, Gear > Skill, and only arena combat. Will be getting frontlines in a future patch. But even then I cannot see this even coming close to pvp focused game.

All Grandcompany rewards besides probally ventures and Skill point resets are worthless. You can buy a better piece of armor for like 20k from the AH.

Fates outside relics are a waste of time endgame wise, unless you are going for vanity.

Treasure hunts are ok. Small amounts of gil and vanity (Vanity is a theme of most the endgame content if you notice)

Seasonal Events = Pure Vanity (Should be expected though)

Leve Quest, Company Leves, and Guildhest are purly for leveling so currently they have no value at endgame.

Gathering and Crafting. I guess. But keep in mind all gathering and crafted gear is only as good as "ENTREE" level endgame gear. The tome gear completly outclasses it in every way.

Materia System. Too much restrictions. (SE is trying to prevent rmt... more or less makes all crafting/gathering a entree activity in endgame.)

Retainer Ventures. See gathering/crafting. (Also this content is like 20secs once a day per retainer... can this even be considered content?)

Honestly most the above the only reason to do them is to unlock something else that is valid in endgame.

This above is my opinion and the opinion of many others. Many will disagree and argue all content in the game is valid and we only choose to not do it. So it depends on your camp. If you care about vanity or are a completionist then there is an enormous amount of stuff to do. If you only care about things that will better yourself or your guild... the game is fairly limited endgame wise. More or less the same as WoW.

but more on the topic of this thread. There are alot of people playing. This game is currently going strong, the population is actually going up. It is not everyones cup of tea though. If you want a cutting edge mmo, or an action mmo, or you hated WoW STAY FAR FAR FAR AWAY FROM THIS.

Fair enough but you dismiss a lot of things that people love about this game.

You casually dismiss vanity but I have friends playing solely due to the vanity option.  You dismiss housing buy my fc designed out weekly content around getting enough gil to buy a house.  You can't imagine how happy we were when we finally were able to aford a medium house.

The previous content you mentioned as being obsolete is not true.  If you have any other classes/jobs other than your main, coil 1-5 is still the best way to get a secondary class to i90 and start doing turns 6-9.  You talk about "ease" of getting soldiery gear... it will take you 2-3 months to get a full set for ONE class.  The chest piece and leggings will take you 1 month to get..  2 items in ONE month... how is that easy.  Your alts have to come from coil 1-5 and ex primals... those fights remain very relevant.

If you enjoy retainer ventures.. which I do extremely, you're going to do guildhests fo the seals or fates for teh seals.  You're going to do provisioning supply missions for teh seals.   

You dismiss gathering and crafting becuase you only see it as whether the armor is good as the raid drops.  But what about the furniture you can make, what about vanity items, what about glamour prisms.   What about creating gear so that you can grind on them to convert it to materia from spiritbonding?

I guess my point is... you see FFXIV only as a vertical progression game where it's about next best piece of gear.  For people who enjoy doing other things, this game has a lot to offer.  

For people who want vertical progression only content... go to WoW and Rift.  Great raiding content there.  If you want raiding content on a smaller scale but a lot of other things to do.. than FFXIV offers it.  This game is almost 8 months old and it shows no signs of slowing down... heck, they added 3 new servers yesterday.

mayanking

Apprentice Member

4/11/14 4:16:58 PM#25
to me theres not much ingame. when i log in all i see are spamming the same boss fights and if you have a premade you go to your weekly dungeon other then thats theres nothing to me.. I've maxed all crafting and gathering classes i hate doing dailys. To me without a premade team the game is extremely boring. But i have never played WOW and this is my first raidbased mmorpg. this mmorpg is one where you can get your wife or girlfriend and play with them and have fun. its casual heavy but i'm a casual kinda guy :P
  ZizouX

Hard Core Member

4/11/14 4:20:35 PM#26
Originally posted by mayanking
to me theres not much ingame. when i log in all i see are spamming the same boss fights and if you have a premade you go to your weekly dungeon other then thats theres nothing to me.. I've maxed all crafting and gathering classes i hate doing dailys. To me without a premade team the game is extremely boring. But i have never played WOW and this is my first raidbased mmorpg. this mmorpg is one where you can get your wife or girlfriend and play with them and have fun. its casual heavy but i'm a casual kinda guy :P

I think this is a good post.. for the following reason....

FFXIV supports a lot of different playing styles.  It offers a little bit of everything.  Some things are better than others, but depending on what you like, this game probably offers it.

However, some people prefer BIGGER, longer raids.  Some would prefer a better pvp experience... there are other games that offer one or two things MUCH better than FFXIV.  But very few games offer AS MUCH as FFXIV and as well polished. I am not talking about games out for 5+ years.. but any other game that came out and has this much in 8 months after release.

I fully admit this game isn't for everyone... but many people seem to have found a home and everyone thought that ffxiv wouldn't survive as a P2P game.   At this point, it's pretty obvious that FFXIV has staked out a piece of teh market for itself and will be going strong for those that enjoy the type of content it provides.

Colt47

Apprentice Member

4/12/14 1:30:04 PM#27

People should definitely NOT list coil turn 6-9 as end game content on its own as players need to clear turn 5 to access it.  That entire section is basically locked off to the majority of players without the time to grind out the Twintania fight.

Also, I never said there was nothing to do at end game: What I said is that the end game things that ARE available can get tedious and boring fairly quickly.  Players not interested in hard mode content basically have to dungeon run, fate grind, beastmen daily grind, or gather and craft stuff, of which the majority of products are completely ignored by players.  The game so far only has one raid catering to a general audience as well (Crystal Tower).

2 Pages « 1 2 Search