Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,783,388 Users Online:0
Games:723  Posts:6,192,312
Square Enix | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 08/27/13)  | Pub:Square Enix
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Retail | Retail Price:$29.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC PS3 Playstation 4 | Out of date info? Let us know!

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn Forum » General Discussion » When does this game become an MMO

2 Pages « 1 2 Search
27 posts found
  NetSage

Advanced Member

2/22/14 11:26:50 AM#21
Originally posted by Abndn
Originally posted by servedogg
Originally posted by Yizle
Originally posted by Grailer

Well at end game there are 8 man raids  and there is a 24 man raid .

Mostly 4 player groups .

Instances .

This isn't really a true MMO but since EQ1 have we actually had a true MMO that doesn't rely on instances  ?

I remember WOW had 40 player raids .  I get more players in Battlefield 64 players  so does this mean Battle field is an MMO ?

Yes Battlefield is an MMO. Do you know what MMO means? Now its not an MMORPG though.

Planetside is an MMO also.

Battlefield is an MO (multiplayer online game).  It is missing the massive part which requires have a virtual world where a massive number of people can interact. 

You don't actually have a massive number of people interacting in most MMORPGs though. Yeah there are more people in the world but as far as interacting goes Battlefield has the edge over most games. If massive numbers of people interacting is what makes an MMO then either Battlefield is an MMO or lots of games considered MMOs aren't.

You're grasping straws here try and get your view across that's wrong.  First lets look at the definition used in MMO.

Large or imposing, as in quantity, scope, degree, intensity, or scale

I don't see 32-64 players on one tiny map to be a massive or imposing task for game developers today.  Especially when there are extremely limited number of models and actions/effects.

On the other hand even a 100 players running around a town in a real MMO is a big achievement imo.  Hundreds of model possibilities, just as many for gear, not mention, actions, mounts, pets, chat, and all the other stuff going on in the background.  Keeping all this updated for everyone pretty seemlessly is a massive task imo.  But, now put it all into the server of a huge map and thousands of players at any time.  Now that's massive.

These lobby shooters are not MMOs in my opinion for the record(like crossfire for example is not an MMO).

Ryoshi1

Novice Member

2/22/14 11:37:42 AM#22
Originally posted by grndzro

Mostly 4 player groups .

Instances .

This isn't really a true MMO but since EQ1 have we actually had a true MMO that doesn't rely on instances  ?

I remember WOW had 40 player raids .  I get more players in Battlefield 64 players  so does this mean Battle field is an MMO ?

BF4 is an MMOFPS

Don't confuse this with MMOFPSRPG

lolwut..

/planetsidemmofpsbf4notsomuch

zevian

Hard Core Member

2/22/14 11:38:08 AM#23

My understanding of a MMO from this site, is a game that groups multiple people together for an activity.   Diablo 3 is listed here and the maps and amount of players in BF4 are bigger/higher.   Planetside 2 is listed here its kind of like BF4, Starbound is listed here and at best that has co-op gameplay.

/shrug  I guess the term MMO has been made to mean more than 1 person playing.

As far as FFXIV becoming a mmo,  it is one as soon as you start in a city full of other players.

Braindome

Hard Core Member

2/22/14 11:52:06 AM#24
Originally posted by SuperNick

MMO. A computer game in which a large number of players can simultaneously interact in a persistent world.

Battlefield is not a persistent world, it's a set of maps where the "world" effectively ends every time the map changes.

Did everyone fail to read this part of the conversation. That right there says it all. BF4 is an MO not and MMO as the maps "cycle". If BF4 is an MMO then so is Quake 3 Arena.

Also back on topic.....I agree FFXIV isn't exactly open world adventure as I expected or wanted it to be like FFXI, the world is very instanced and is mostly sitting in ques. It isn't like you can go out, fight in a dungeon and get some better gear and meet people and possibly pk or the like and make friends/enemies and what you can is very pre-defined, static and not very difficult or the main focus. I feel you OP and I feel the same way. Although FFXIV is a dang fine game it isn't the one I have been waiting for, but it is a nice diversion.

Abndn

Novice Member

2/22/14 6:47:00 PM#25
Originally posted by NetSage
Originally posted by Abndn
Originally posted by servedogg
Originally posted by Yizle

Mostly 4 player groups .

Instances .

Yes Battlefield is an MMO. Do you know what MMO means? Now its not an MMORPG though.

Planetside is an MMO also.

Battlefield is an MO (multiplayer online game).  It is missing the massive part which requires have a virtual world where a massive number of people can interact. 

You don't actually have a massive number of people interacting in most MMORPGs though. Yeah there are more people in the world but as far as interacting goes Battlefield has the edge over most games. If massive numbers of people interacting is what makes an MMO then either Battlefield is an MMO or lots of games considered MMOs aren't.

You're grasping straws here try and get your view across that's wrong.  First lets look at the definition used in MMO.

Large or imposing, as in quantity, scope, degree, intensity, or scale

I don't see 32-64 players on one tiny map to be a massive or imposing task for game developers today.  Especially when there are extremely limited number of models and actions/effects.

On the other hand even a 100 players running around a town in a real MMO is a big achievement imo.  Hundreds of model possibilities, just as many for gear, not mention, actions, mounts, pets, chat, and all the other stuff going on in the background.  Keeping all this updated for everyone pretty seemlessly is a massive task imo.  But, now put it all into the server of a huge map and thousands of players at any time.  Now that's massive.

These lobby shooters are not MMOs in my opinion for the record(like crossfire for example is not an MMO).

I don't have a "view" on this. It means fuck all to me if Battlefield is an MMO or not. My only opinion here is that you need a massive number of players interacting for a game to be a massively multiplayer online game. If it's enough to have them all playing the game then Super Mario 64 was on an MMO, and if it's enough to have them share a world or server then Dark Souls was.

It follows quite logically that if my requirement is sound, then either Battlefield is an MMO or Final Fantasy isn't one. Unless of course you want to say that there's significantly more player interaction in Final Fantasy than in Battlefield (which I don't believe to be the case).

madazz

Apprentice Member

2/22/14 9:04:35 PM#26
Originally posted by grndzro

Mostly 4 player groups .

Instances .

BF4 is an MMOFPS

Don't confuse this with MMOFPSRPG

BF4 is an MOFPS

Don't confuse this with MMOFPS (like planetside).

Magiknight

Hard Core Member

2/22/14 9:07:57 PM#27
Originally posted by Solar_Prophet

Mostly 4 player groups .

Instances .

So wait, EQ1, with its tiny little zones about an eighth of the size of those in FFXIV and infinitely smaller than those available in say, WoW or LOTRO (including chopped-up cities) you consider more of a 'true' MMO than modern games?

Am I just misinterpreting this, or is that what you're saying? Because either way one of us has sure as hell gone off the deep end here.

EQ1 was a much better MMO than FFXIV

2 Pages « 1 2 Search