Trending Games | Elder Scrolls Online | World of Warcraft | WildStar | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,737,007 Users Online:0
Games:714  Posts:6,176,116
Square Enix | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 08/27/13)  | Pub:Square Enix
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Retail | Retail Price:$29.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC PS3 Playstation 4 | Out of date info? Let us know!

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn Forum » General Discussion » Leveling process: grouping and exping - Please read

2 Pages 1 2 » Search
21 posts found
  time007

Advanced Member

"Get your FPS out of my MMORPG" - Timetrapper (me)

OP  8/04/13 10:38:08 AM#1
Please note:  If you are going to be sarcastic/snarkish/snippy towards me please just close out this window and go to another thread.  This is a thread with some honest questions, so I don't need to see answers like "Why don't you go and XYZ" "you need to go and ABC" or any other finger snapping Beyoncé/Queen Latifah-ish replies directed at me, that includes passive aggressive remarks that are indirect insults, which I know are troll favorites)

(also, please don't reply back with, "Why are you mentioning all those games for! This isn't blah blah game so get out of here!" or "ARR will be unlike anything you have ever seen before, go back to blah blah game you mentioned!!) (And yes I've read the interviews and forums so don't tell me to go do that!  Just close out this page then if that's your attitude!)

QUESTIONS

1.  What is the leveling process like or in other words how can I get exp to level up my class skills?  (I.E.  themepark quest hubs, go kill/collect 10 of this via Wow style or themepark served up via "innovative" GW2 style heart quests or Leveling through grinding like Aion, old Daoc)(Please note, I think we can include storyline in the questing section)

2.  How fast would a solo'er earn exp compared to being in a group? (yes I like grouping for exp, not single player MMO's, which is why I wanna know if solo exping will be much slower and grouping will give more benefits/much faster exp) Ideally I'd like solo grinding exp to be worth as little exp as possible and group exp to by far outpace anything done alone, which is why I wanna get a firsthand answer before I buy the game heh)

3.  Does crafting give exp to level you up or will they exist in different spheres like Vanguard saga of heroes?  (I've read about the job and class system, but I want to confirm that if I for instance harvest by fishing or craft stuff, will that give me exp toward fishing/crafting only, or to other things as well (I think some games also grant world exp for harvesting/crafting, but I wasn't sure about this game)

4What is the most efficient way/fastest way to level up?  (I know there are probably boatloads of ways to get exp, but in most mmo's there is one sure fire way to coast to the level cap within 2 weeks, alone in most cases, so with this game what is it? (questing, group grinding, solo grinding, storyline, etc?) (i'm guessing its storyline + something else?)

5.  Any sandbox elements?

(Remember, I'm not mentioning any of these old games nor asking these questions to start a flame war or piss anyone off, they are just questions.  And please don't attack me for asking questions like, "Go google it! or Go watch a youtube video and stop wasting my precious time trolling!" etc.  Please don't reply with stuff like that hah) (I'm not making fun of themeparks or sandboxes or anything)

Thanks for any answers that I can get!  Sorry for the lengthy post, but I've played a lot of MMO's, seen certain patterns, so I wanted to be aware of any good things and/or pet peeves before I subscribe/buy.  Thanks guys!

Best regards,

Timetrapper

huihuhuhu

Novice Member

8/04/13 10:41:41 AM#2
hopefully this will help you..not only to be informative but to also avoid the hostile section of the mmo crowd...it has alot of useful info on it..good day :))http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCALEd8FzfaUt-HBBZctO9cg
  time007

Advanced Member

OP  8/04/13 11:07:01 AM#3

Thanks for the link!  Yes it helped a ton! (looks like it hits more than several of my pet peeves (quest festivus etc) but the game's graphics look great so I will probably give it a try to hold me over until EQ next hehe)

The one character/all crafting thing seems cool.  I also like the fact (I read in an interview) that crafters will be able to support frontline pvp'ers. 

In one part of the video it shows a map in the top right, and its like a little road but I can see the two zone walls on both sides.  I'd be eager to know how linear (landwise) the actual game is  I know game worlds can be huge but when you have two zone walls/impassible "mountains" immediately on either side of you, I tend to really lose the "massive" game world effect and it feels like im in a tunnel (WoW) running from one hub to another hub. 

So does anyone know how often you hit zone wall/impassible mountains?  or can you just trek everywhere? (including sideways, not just forward and back via wow style)

Murugan

Novice Member

8/04/13 2:40:21 PM#4
Originally posted by time007

Thanks for the link!  Yes it helped a ton! (looks like it hits more than several of my pet peeves (quest festivus etc) but the game's graphics look great so I will probably give it a try to hold me over until EQ next hehe)

The one character/all crafting thing seems cool.  I also like the fact (I read in an interview) that crafters will be able to support frontline pvp'ers. 

In one part of the video it shows a map in the top right, and its like a little road but I can see the two zone walls on both sides.  I'd be eager to know how linear (landwise) the actual game is  I know game worlds can be huge but when you have two zone walls/impassible "mountains" immediately on either side of you, I tend to really lose the "massive" game world effect and it feels like im in a tunnel (WoW) running from one hub to another hub. 

So does anyone know how often you hit zone wall/impassible mountains?  or can you just trek everywhere? (including sideways, not just forward and back via wow style)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--a6__DnOdc

The game has zones, however within these zones are many points of interest for various levels.  Including Garlean strongholds (were not accessible in beta 3), dungeons of various levels, FATE (open world events/bosses) of various level ranges, hubs of various level ranges (which I know you don't like but they are there for people who do).

The zones are designed differently, some parts are narrow with corridors as you cross bridges or mountain passes, some more open like deserts, rolling hills in La Noscea, steppes, the forested areas are generally pretty open however there are some impassable parts where you go through a tunnel to get to a new area.

There are roads that take you (not always perfectly efficiently) to major destinations like hubs, cities, you know the way roads work however most destinations require you to get off the road and travel for several minutes.

Here are some maps (use drop down menu on upper left corner to change areas):

http://xivdb.com/?maps/45/w1f4-01/Thanalan/Southern-Thanalan

Only 3 starter regions are included from Beta 3 Thanalan, La Noscea and the Black Shroud.  Other maps are placeholders using .dat mines blanks or 1.0 maps.

http://xivpads.com/?1595680
http://guildwork.com/users/murugan

tokini

Advanced Member

8/04/13 3:03:20 PM#5
Originally posted by time007  I know game worlds can be huge but when you have two zone walls/impassible "mountains" immediately on either side of you, I tend to really lose the "massive" game world effect and it feels like im in a tunnel (WoW) running from one hub to another hub. 

i like this game, have pre-ordered and look forward to it

but if you think WoW is a 'tunnel', FFXIV will make you utterly claustrophobic

Murugan

Novice Member

8/04/13 3:05:19 PM#6
Originally posted by tokini
Originally posted by time007  I know game worlds can be huge but when you have two zone walls/impassible "mountains" immediately on either side of you, I tend to really lose the "massive" game world effect and it feels like im in a tunnel (WoW) running from one hub to another hub. 

Except in WoW you have a linear progression where you go from one zone to the next tightly grouped with quests and objectives.  In FFXIV you go all over the world at all levels (well past level 10 at least).

tokini

Advanced Member

8/04/13 3:10:38 PM#7
Originally posted by Murugan

Except in WoW you have a linear progression where you go from one zone to the next tightly grouped with quests and objectives.  In FFXIV you go all over the world at all levels (well past level 10 at least).

sure, but you can do that in WoW as well if you were so inclined (at least in the old world, havent played in some time)

my post was more about the invisible walls in the game, anyway.

drivendawn

Elite Member

8/04/13 3:16:51 PM#8

The only thing that is linear about XIV is the main story line. Other than that you can do as you please side quests if you like, many different lvling dungeons ,guildhest, FATES, mob grinding, hunting log ,company hunting log the list goes on. 

Murugan

Novice Member

8/04/13 3:26:48 PM#9

sure, but you can do that in WoW as well if you were so inclined (at least in the old world, havent played in some time)

But why would you be inclined to do that in WoW?  I played WoW long enough (at least long enough to see most of its content pre expansions).  It has linear zone progression, other than PvP ganking there is no reason to go back to lower zones because there is no content for you to do.

FFXIV has content for different levels in many zones so you end up going and exploring parts of zones you didn't before (and sometimes places you have) in order to progress.

The difference is it being a largely pointless activity (WoW), to having a distinct purpose in FFXIV.  Not to mention level synching, but that is a different discussion entirely I'm talking about actual (for that level) content being spread across many zones (even through the "main story quest") rather than being a linear zone progression.

tokini

Advanced Member

8/04/13 3:38:22 PM#10

But why would you be inclined to do that in WoW?  I played WoW long enough (at least long enough to see most of its content pre expansions).  It has linear zone progression, other than PvP ganking there is no reason to go back to lower zones because there is no content for you to do.

FFXIV has content for different levels in many zones so you end up going and exploring parts of zones you didn't before (and sometimes places you have) in order to progress.

The difference is it being a largely pointless activity (WoW), to having a distinct purpose in FFXIV.  Not to mention level synching, but that is a different discussion entirely I'm talking about actual (for that level) content being spread across many zones (even through the "main story quest") rather than being a linear zone progression.

listen, you're going off on a tangent for no reason.  my 'claustrophobia' comment was pointed at the invisible walls in the game, not the leveling paths. in that sense WoW's world is more open than FFxiv

the last time i leveled a character from scratch in WoW you had a couple of zones per level range to choose from (in the pre-burning crusade zones, at least) kinda the same as in FFXIV where there are multiple zones per level range. yes, there are some areas of FFxiv that have mobs/quests of a much higher level, i like that, i got myself killed a few times in beta because of it lol.  but really its still linear, because you go to the appropriate level at the appropriate time, where the area is located kinda doesnt matter.

im not sure why you are getting so riled up

drivendawn

Elite Member

8/04/13 4:00:17 PM#11

listen, you're going off on a tangent for no reason.  my 'claustrophobia' comment was pointed at the invisible walls in the game, not the leveling paths. in that sense WoW's world is more open than FFxiv

the last time i leveled a character from scratch in WoW you had a couple of zones per level range to choose from (in the pre-burning crusade zones, at least) kinda the same as in FFXIV where there are multiple zones per level range. yes, there are some areas of FFxiv that have mobs/quests of a much higher level, i like that, i got myself killed a few times in beta because of it lol.  but really its still linear, because you go to the appropriate level at the appropriate time, where the area is located kinda doesnt matter.

No one is riled up do you see !!!!! these or THIS any where, no  he is just giving his input like anyone would on a forum.

Murugan

Novice Member

8/04/13 4:06:02 PM#12

WoW has a seamless world, FFXIV has zones.  Of course FFXIV then has more zone walls.

FFXIV does not just have multiple zone options per level, you are sent across the world during quest lines for both main quest/class quests often.  At level 10-15 you literally are forced to travel to three different regions and do group content in order to continue to progress so it isn't really a one or the other type of thing, you need to travel and see other places.  Dungeons are spread out across the world not in a linear zone progression.  Many FATE also.  There is a difference between this, and what I experienced in WoW where you have a linear progression of areas you follow.

Plus playing WoW depending your race you take one progression route, you have to literally start the game over to see another path.  That is far more linear in my opinion.

Raxeon

Hard Core Member

8/04/13 8:43:48 PM#13

some invise walls have been gettign fixed otheres like water invise walls we should be gettign swiming at some point you have to remember they built this game ground up in like 2 years ?

time007

Advanced Member

OP  8/04/13 10:12:00 PM#14

Well I'm definitely going to try this game, because besides the graphics being awesome and classes being cool (monk!) it sounds like:

The game world is huge, (lots of maps, zones) (even though there may be physical bottlenecks sometimes) (I.E not full on skyrim).  I really just wanted a huge gameworld at launch where I could get lost in it.  I hope this is the case for ARR

It also sounds like you aren't pinned down to certain hub areas for your level, but can run where you want to (assuming mobs aren't too high level to kill you) and do what you want.

I just wanted to be able to run and do what I want, and NOT be on a petting tram fo efficiency's sake.  Again not trying to start a flame war, I know nowadays, in games, we have many options for leveling BUT in the end everyone chooses the "solo petting tram" cuz its by far the most efficient way up the leveling ladder. (we all know which other games out there are notorious for their solo petting tram to victory)  Again I'm a human being like everyone else, I eventually also end up going with the fastest way to level up, if it is by far the most efficient and fastest way to ding. But it sounds like in A Realm Reborn it may be more open and the notorious solo tram isn't the clear winner when it comes to exp'ing to time ratio. Well lets hope not at least. 

In addition to a monk fisherman, i'll also try a dragoon out hehe.

lebros1989

Advanced Member

8/04/13 10:25:54 PM#15

Well I'm definitely going to try this game, because besides the graphics being awesome and classes being cool (monk!) it sounds like:

The game world is huge, (lots of maps, zones) (even though there may be physical bottlenecks sometimes) (I.E not full on skyrim).  I really just wanted a huge gameworld at launch where I could get lost in it.  I hope this is the case for ARR

It also sounds like you aren't pinned down to certain hub areas for your level, but can run where you want to (assuming mobs aren't too high level to kill you) and do what you want.

I just wanted to be able to run and do what I want, and NOT be on a petting tram fo efficiency's sake.  Again not trying to start a flame war, I know nowadays, in games, we have many options for leveling BUT in the end everyone chooses the "solo petting tram" cuz its by far the most efficient way up the leveling ladder. (we all know which other games out there are notorious for their solo petting tram to victory)  Again I'm a human being like everyone else, I eventually also end up going with the fastest way to level up, if it is by far the most efficient and fastest way to ding. But it sounds like in A Realm Reborn it may be more open and the notorious solo tram isn't the clear winner when it comes to exp'ing to time ratio. Well lets hope not at least. 

The best source of information I've found on all things ARR has been on Youtube. Look up Xehanort1227 a.k.a. Mrhappy1227. He has videos called FFXIV ARR 101 and they give detailed information on just about any subject you can think of. Hope it helps.

Kajidourden

Apprentice Member

8/04/13 11:18:45 PM#16

Let me try and paint a better picture than the "you eventually run out of quests" explanation most have been giving.

Let's say you start a brand new character.  From the start, you will have a main story questline, and class questline, and your normal stuff around the city type quests for beginners.  As you progress (from about level 10ish) you will eventually be sent to the next hub of quests by the npcs in your respective questlines, and youll start to do those quests there.  

There is also a hunting log which you will receive in your class questline.  This changes with every class, meaning you can do it on every class for the extra xp as you're running around doing normal quests.  The mobs in your hunting log even get a nice little bullseye marking so you know which ones to go after, and they bullseye goes away once youve completed the amount of necessary mobs killed.

Now, once you hit 15 your main story quests will become more involved.  They will require you to travel to the other two nations besides the one that you start off in in order to progress.  And from there you will have dungeons in each respective nation to complete.  

Once completed with those, you will progress to the point that you hit the main story quests requiring you to join a grand company.  There is an entire main questline related to these up until the point that you actually choose a grand company.

Eventually that leads you to a boss fight with Ifrit, and a few other quests.

At this point....that is the end of the content we have seen thus far.  (for quests/quest lines anyway)

So...getting back to the original point of addressing your concern.  As you can see, just from the main questline alone there are a myriad of different kinds of quests involved with simply progressing in the game.  Your main storyline quests grant you the biggest xp, best rewards, etc.  These are your bread and butter.  In this way....yes there is a quest leveling tram, but all the while you're actually exploring the world, engaging in boss fights, dungeons, things that actually feel like fun (at least imo).  Imbetween these things there are quest hubs, but for the most part these serve as your "imbetweeners".

Now, setting all of that aside...there are also the FATEs that will pop up randomly throughout the world as you go.  These are not necessarily a leveling path, or really an option in and of themselves for leveling up.  They DO however provide you with a little extra something while you're out and about.  A little treat if you will (xp wise).

With all of that covered....we get into the last bit of this beast...levequests/guildhests.

First, levequests.  At a certain point in the progression you will discover these things, and there will be an active help menu like there is for everything else, plus an NPC to help ypu understand how they work.  This....I will leave the in depth explanation to the game lol.  For general purposes just note that you build allowances for these as you play and are not using them, thus making them a limited resource.  They will take place in the open world, where you will move to a certain area and activate it, carry out the objectives, and receive your rewards upon completion.  During these events you can have random...for the sake of simplicity let's call them "Notorious Monsters" pop up and if you defeat them, earn extra rewards.  There are also randomly generated chests throughout the levequest area, which normally contain small prizes, but something nonetheless on top of your completion reward.  Another thing to note about these is that they have hubs, for instance level 10-15 at one camp, 16-20 another, etc.  The way they handle this is by making them all the lowest level in that range, and then giving you the option to "crank it up" to the highest in order to maximize xp (and also increase the rewards).  

Lastly, there are guildhests.  These events are instanced battles that you us the duty finder for (much like a dungeon) in order to gather your party and move into the fray.  At this point in the game (as of beta 3) these are mostly used to teach you grouping mechanics, but as you progress become yet another way to hop into a battle with friends and earn some xp/rewards.

Gee that's a mouthful.....but anyhow.  Now to break it down to a simple level.  

Main story quests: One time completion, no repeating, same applies to Class quests, which will unlock abilities/skills, weapons, etc.

Quest hub quests:  These are one time completion also.  However, there are three city nations, each with their own respectively leveled zones.  So once youve completed all the quest hub quests in one area, you can move to the other for your next class.  

FATES: what you would expect them to be

Levequests/Guildhests: Potentially fillers for when you dont quite meet the requirement for the next main story quest, or if you're on a new class, to get you to the next hub, OR as an alternative to the hub...that part is on you.

I know thats a lot to read...and I probably honestly forgot a thing or two...so everyone feel free to throw something in or correct me.  I just want to put out the WHOLE story, and not just the slice of understanding most people have been imparted with.

time007

Advanced Member

OP  8/05/13 9:29:50 AM#17

No its fine man, I wanted a long read (as you can tell I write a lot too hah).  Thanks!  I'm definitely going to buy it when it comes out.  You guys answered all my questions.  Now I just gotta worry about travelling and region locks in Asia! (and also buying a new rig for FFXIV ARR & EQ next, but that's a different story hehe)

Thanks again dudes!

Murugan

Novice Member

8/05/13 2:32:39 PM#18

No its fine man, I wanted a long read (as you can tell I write a lot too hah).  Thanks!  I'm definitely going to buy it when it comes out.  You guys answered all my questions.  Now I just gotta worry about travelling and region locks in Asia! (and also buying a new rig for FFXIV ARR & EQ next, but that's a different story hehe)

Thanks again dudes!

Where in Asia?  Korea Telecom is blocked, and so are many IP's in China (though I know people there who have gotten around them), most of Asia is not blocked though.  There is a good number of SE Asia players (Malaysia, Philippines, etc).

Kajidourden

Apprentice Member

8/05/13 11:48:15 PM#19

Thanks again dudes!

No problem brother.  Got sick of all the misinformation and half-assed explanations floating around so I figured I would try to write one myself (though im sure there's still more I could add).

Glad I could be of some help.

time007

Advanced Member

OP  8/07/13 4:02:11 PM#20

Thanks again dudes!

Where in Asia?  Korea Telecom is blocked, and so are many IP's in China (though I know people there who have gotten around them), most of Asia is not blocked though.  There is a good number of SE Asia players (Malaysia, Philippines, etc).

Yep, gonna be in China, so I might have to pay the 2.99-4.99 a month for a proxy server and hope that works.  Good news is when I'm there I can play Blade and Soul and Archeage before all you guys! (though it will be in Chinese characters and I won't understand 95% of it)

2 Pages 1 2 » Search