Trending Games | Guild Wars 2 | World of Warcraft | Elder Scrolls Online | EverQuest

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,905,751 Users Online:0
Games:757  Posts:6,296,280
Square Enix | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 08/27/13)  | Pub:Square Enix
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Retail | Retail Price:$29.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC PS3 Playstation 4 | Out of date info? Let us know!

16 posts found
  LProof

Novice Member

OP  7/26/13 12:29:32 PM#1
Is there any information about there being any sort of stat cap or diminishing stats after a certain point? I am attempting to put together a GLA build and was wondering if just loading up on VIT will be best, or if at some point VIT is nerfed and I could put points into another stat such as DEX or STR.

...nothing someone says before the word "but" really counts.
-Benjen Stark

Rupskul

Novice Member

7/26/13 4:36:48 PM#2
Originally posted by LProof
Is there any information about there being any sort of stat cap or diminishing stats after a certain point? I am attempting to put together a GLA build and was wondering if just loading up on VIT will be best, or if at some point VIT is nerfed and I could put points into another stat such as DEX or STR.

Are you leveling Gla to be a tank or DPS?  Are you going to do Pld? 

My general comment - Based on Beta, in order to keep hate you are going to have to put out some damage.  There aren't many hate controls and they all seem to be on the same cooldown, so you will be limited.  Piling everything into Vit will mean you are gimping your damage and will have a hard time keeping hate. 

If you are going to do PLD, then you will need to level up Conj as well and you will get skills from Conj as a PLD.  You'll need more than just Vit to be effective.

Obviously if you want to use Gla as a DPS, you'll need Str and Dex, but now that I think about it, you must be talking about straight tank.

JG_Kites

Novice Member

7/26/13 5:10:15 PM#3

You'll probably want to throw in some other stuff such as piety/mind and strength.

As for if there's a cap before it diminishes.. I have no clue. =(

• Strength - Increases melee attack power and the percentage of damage mitigated by block and parry.
  • Dexterity - Increases ranged attack power and the chance of blocking or parrying an attack.
  • Vitality - Increases maximum HP.
  • Intelligence - Increases attack magic potency.
  • Mind - Increases healing magic potency.
  • Piety - Increases maximum MP.
  • Fire - Reduces the amount of damage received from fire-aspected attacks.
  • Ice - Reduces the amount of damage received from ice-aspected attacks.
  • Wind - Reduces the amount of damage received from wind-aspected attacks.
  • Earth - Reduces the amount of damage received from earth-aspected attacks.
  • Lightning - Reduces the amount of damage received from lightning-aspected attacks.
  • Water - Reduces the amount of damage received from water-aspected attacks.
  • Accuracy - Increases the accuracy of physical and magical attacks.
  • Critical Hit Rate - Increases the probability that an attack will deal critical damage.
  • Determination - Increases the amount of damage dealt by all attacks and the amount of HP recovered by spells.
  • Attack Power - Increases the amount of damage dealt by physical attacks.
  • Skill Speed - Reduces the recast time of weaponskills.
  • Attack Magic Potency - Increases the amount of damage dealt by spells.
  • Healing Magic Potency - Increases the amount of HP recovered by spells.
  • Spell Speed - Reduces the cast and recast times of spells.
  • Defense - Reduces the amount of damage received from physical attacks.
  • Parry - Increases the probability that an attack will be blocked or parried.
  • Magic Defense - Reduces the amount of damage received from magical attacks.
  • Slashing - Reduces the amount of damage received from slashing attacks.
  • Piercing - Reduces the amount of damage received from piercing attacks.
  • Blunt - Reduces the amount of damage received from blunt attacks.
  • Morale - Reduces the amount of damage received from other players’ attacks.

WKMitchell

Novice Member

7/26/13 6:23:45 PM#4
Pretty sure it has been said in one of the live letters that there is a stat cap though we don't what they are.  Mainly remembering them talking about how it wouldn't necessarily be the best to put all your stat points into say Mnd for WHM as you would probably hit the cap then diminishing returns would hit pretty hard.
  twrule

Novice Member

7/26/13 6:49:43 PM#5

None that I know of. Stack that VIT.

Also, to the poster who said "don't stack pure VIT, you need to generate enmity"...you will still get enmity stats on all your gear (str, dex, etc.), so it should be optimal to focus on stacking VIT (as many VIT/hp materia as you can slot into your gear should be probably), while gaining the rest tangentially. The only reason I can see that this might not be the case is if in the early stages of gearing up, a tank might opt to build avoidance stats like Parry instead - we'll see what the theorycraft says about this.

In the meantime, stack away.

Blazeyer

Novice Member

:)

7/26/13 6:58:20 PM#6
I really hate how dumbed down the stats are compared to what they were in 1.0 "str = melee | dex = ranged". Stats used to even deal with crafting as well. Now it's all boring and lame. There really isn't even a point in giving people an option for stat points. Hell even "int = black mage magic and mnd = healing AND (conj and whm) spell damage". blah
  twrule

Novice Member

7/26/13 7:08:25 PM#7
Originally posted by Blazeyer
I really hate how dumbed down the stats are compared to what they were in 1.0 "str = melee | dex = ranged". Stats used to even deal with crafting as well. Now it's all boring and lame. There really isn't even a point in giving people an option for stat points. Hell even "int = black mage magic and mnd = healing AND (conj and whm) spell damage". blah

I don't know how it was in 1.0 but it seems like this is a fairly streamlined system that makes sense - why make it needlessly complicated?

There are separate stats for crafters and gatherers to worry about, and everyone (besides maybe tanks to an extent) has a clearcut way to go - which is good when you are giving people the ability to permanently allocate stats - don't want to mess that up.

Though I agree that the stat allocation freedom is pointless in this system, it's just introducing opportunities to accidentally mess up your character really...

jimmywolf

Novice Member

7/26/13 8:34:42 PM#8
Originally posted by Blazeyer

well more stats does not = more options. soon as someone figure how  too min/max it just be a simply get X in this stat, X of this, rinse, repeat.  it also punish noobs who don't understand the game an create more elitist who love too gloat

streamlining stats an giving a little variety of more HP, or more DEF/dodge  is fine. let player show their skill in fights that require team work .

cranthug

Novice Member

Thought begets heresy.

7/26/13 8:42:29 PM#9

As far as a flat stat cap I am not certain.  Though when melding materia to gear for upgrades there is a stat cap for that piece of gear.  If a chest piece has a lot of MND and you try to put a +3 MND materia gem into socket, it will inform you that you'll only get +1 worth of MND out of said gem.

Apparently all HQ items are already at their stat cap.  So you won't be able to socket straight VIT on a piece of HQ tanking gear that already has VIT on it.  You will have to spread it around, as any VIT materia will provide +0 bonus.

Br3akingDawn

Advanced Member

7/26/13 11:01:33 PM#10
Originally posted by cranthug

As far as a flat stat cap I am not certain.  Though when melding materia to gear for upgrades there is a stat cap for that piece of gear.  If a chest piece has a lot of MND and you try to put a +3 MND materia gem into socket, it will inform you that you'll only get +1 worth of MND out of said gem.

Apparently all HQ items are already at their stat cap.  So you won't be able to socket straight VIT on a piece of HQ tanking gear that already has VIT on it.  You will have to spread it around, as any VIT materia will provide +0 bonus.

Wow, really? that is just stupid. If I want to build a VIt Tank I should be able to and not get screwed!!!

LProof

Novice Member

OP  7/29/13 10:09:17 AM#11
Originally posted by JG_Kites

You'll probably want to throw in some other stuff such as piety/mind and strength.

As for if there's a cap before it diminishes.. I have no clue. =(

• Strength - Increases melee attack power and the percentage of damage mitigated by block and parry.
  • Dexterity - Increases ranged attack power and the chance of blocking or parrying an attack.
  • itality - Increases maximum HP.

Interesting...it seems like DEX and STR will be just as important as VIT. This males my question on the stat cap even more important. Anyone else have any answers/input?

-Benjen Stark

JG_Kites

Novice Member

7/29/13 10:14:10 AM#12
Yea It definitely seems like spreading the stats a bit is a good idea.. if only we knew what 1 strength actually equaled in mitigation % and 1 dex equaled in block/evade chance %.

LProof

Novice Member

OP  7/29/13 10:25:28 AM#13
Hopefully the number crunchers will be hard at work at launch. I'd hate to mess up my class/job by wasting points in minimally important areas. Is there a stat reset? I can't recall seeing one in beta.

-Benjen Stark

Nihilist

Hard Core Member

7/29/13 12:49:34 PM#14

The vast majority of stats are going to come from gear as you level and later from materia melding.

The points that are allocated from leveling up don't have a huge influence over a character.

In the cast of tanks I would point out that at endgame both PLD and WAR use stances that increase their threat generation and nerf their damage output significantly.

I doubt stacking strength will be of much benefit to these classes, and the argument of needing strength to hold enmity is moot with the skill Provoke and the many other ways to generate threat.

The only time threat is ever an issue is when a DPS goes all in on a mob that the tank has not had a chance to properly hit or combo which is more of an issue with the DPS player not assisting targets correctly.

GeezerGamer

Elite Member

7/29/13 4:28:55 PM#15

I certainly hope the game isn't set up where stats create percentages that are "checked" against the opponent's. (i.e. My ability to do damage vs. my opponent's ability to mitigate) All that does is foster a setting where everyone stacks one primary stat and forgets the rest. 

We need hard percentages with increasing DR after a certain point. That should encourage a need to add to different stats to find the right balances.

It's the sad state of the genre. The next big title has as many threads discussing issues with it's business model than issues with the game itself.

NagelRitter

Apprentice Member

7/31/13 1:24:54 PM#16

There's apparently an old Lodestone page that mentions stats: http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/topics/detail?id=92e2a2ee13f174b5a6f5f658135e1bf4ab725f29

Answers some of the questions raised here. Granted, I think this website is more v 1.0 oriented, and they may change everything for v 2.0.

For stat cap:

"Q. I allocated all of my bonus points to STR, but it did not increase my damage output nearly as much as I had hoped. Why?
A. Each attribute has an upper limit, or "cap," that rises whenever a character's class rank goes up. Therefore, even if a player allots all of his or her bonus points to a single attribute such as STR, it is not the case that this will yield overly dramatic results. Distributing bonus points across several attributes rather than concentrating on a single one will result in a much more well-balanced character."

Not very specific, but there you have it. You also need more points to put points into stats when they are really high up.

So the system is a bit more complex than "dump everything into STR for damage".

Originally posted by LProof
I'd hate to mess up my class/job by wasting points in minimally important areas. Is there a stat reset? I can't recall seeing one in beta.

"It is possible to reset allocated bonus points and free them up for redistribution by selecting Reassign from the Point Allotment screen. Players are encouraged to make use of this feature as needed."

"Q. I pressed the Reassign button but did not get all of my bonus points back. Why?
A. Using the Reassign feature will reset only a certain number of allotted bonus points. The feature will then become available for use again after a short period of time. Players wishing to reset all of their bonus points will be required to use the Reassign feature multiple times."

I can't wait until they release the new Lodestone website.

Favorite MMO: Vanilla WoW
Currently playing: GW2, EVE
Excited for: Wildstar, maybe?