Trending Games | Elder Scrolls Online | WildStar | Star Wars: The Old Republic | ArcheAge

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,643,317 Users Online:0
Games:681  Posts:6,077,063
Square Enix | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 08/27/13)  | Pub:Square Enix
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Retail | Retail Price:$29.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC PS3 | Out of date info? Let us know!

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn Forum » General Discussion » Why get it on PS3 if you are getting a PS4 and it wont work?

18 posts found
  burdock2

Apprentice Member

OP  7/10/13 5:14:07 PM#1
Just as title suggests, if you are planning on getting a PS4, why would you want to get this on PS3 since the PS4 is not backwards compatable?  Do you think you would be able to get a rebate or refund to get the ps4 version once its released? Will there be much different or can the Ps4 just run it faster and smoother?
  Raxeon

Advanced Member

7/10/13 5:40:03 PM#2
free upgrade to the ps4 version i believe
  DeserttFoxx

Advanced Member

Cry Havok; and let loose the dogs of war.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

7/10/13 5:42:02 PM#3

Well there is a high chance the entire game will just be downloaded and installed when ps4 comes out from the psn.

If this is not the case, then just like ps2, play it on your ps3 I assure you, you will not know the difference. Besides do you people plan on throwing away your ps3 once ps4 comes out or something? There are a whole list of games besides final fantasy 14 that wont be backwards compatible unless you purchased it on psn.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

Raxeon

Advanced Member

7/10/13 5:49:51 PM#4
Originally posted by DeserttFoxx

Well there is a high chance the entire game will just be downloaded and installed when ps4 comes out from the psn.

If this is not the case, then just like ps2, play it on your ps3 I assure you, you will not know the difference. Besides do you people plan on throwing away your ps3 once ps4 comes out or something? There are a whole list of games besides final fantasy 14 that wont be backwards compatible unless you purchased it on psn.

the thing is the ps3 version is no where near as good as the pc version ( its good for as old of tech ps3 is) the ps4 version should be as good as the pc dx 11version or close

DeserttFoxx

Advanced Member

Cry Havok; and let loose the dogs of war.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

7/10/13 5:53:29 PM#5
Originally posted by Raxeon

the thing is the ps3 version is no where near as good as the pc version ( its good for as old of tech ps3 is) the ps4 version should be as good as the pc dx 11version or close

I dont know the plight of the console gamer, i am buying the game on PC.If you are a console gamer, i am sure graphics arent your top concern.

Its not a big deal.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

Raxeon

Advanced Member

7/11/13 12:37:21 AM#6
Originally posted by Raxeon

I dont know the plight of the console gamer, i am buying the game on PC.If you are a console gamer, i am sure graphics arent your top concern.

Its not a big deal.

i have the best of both worlds

Syno23

Novice Member

7/11/13 7:43:22 AM#7
PS4 version doesn't come out until 2014 and second of all the graphics will be better and yes you'll have to buy both copies which is what I'm going to do.
  free2play

Elite Member

7/11/13 10:49:25 AM#8

This came up with Dust514 as well.

I don't understand why they don't give out disc packs with the PS4 for all MMO titles that are out on PS3, add in a trial code or bonus items for Dust514 where it's free to play anyway. If you guys bought ARR on PS3, once you had it on your PS4 you use SE credentials to play the way you always did.

That's something you would need to take up with Play Station but as a 1.00 user, if they had told me I needed to buy it again, I'd laugh in their face.

separateunion

Novice Member

7/11/13 10:50:33 AM#9
I don't plan on getting a PS4 until at least the second model is released. I don't want to wait that long to play the game.
  Fendel84M

Defender of Worlds

I actually still like MMORPGs

7/11/13 10:59:02 AM#10
Originally posted by free2play

I don't understand why they don't give out disc packs with the PS4 for all MMO titles that are out on PS3, add in a trial code or bonus items for Dust514 where it's free to play anyway. If you guys bought ARR on PS3, once you had it on your PS4 you use SE credentials to play the way you always did.

That's something you would need to take up with Play Station but as a 1.00 user, if they had told me I needed to buy it again, I'd laugh in their face.

Well, they won't be in the wrong asking PS3 users to purchase it again if they want to play on PS4. There's no expectation to get a free copy of a game on a new console. If they were simply making an exact port of the PS3 version on PS4 then absolutely it would be wrong to ask anyone to buy it again. But we all know there will be significant improvements to the PS4 version.

It's different than the 1.0 to ARR situation. Since we had purchased that game and then SE decided to remake it. It would have been wrong to ask us to purchase it again just to play. But no one is stopping a PS3 player from continuing to play that version once the PS4 version releases.

That said, I do believe SE will offer the PS4 version for free to PS3 purchasers. It would be better PR and encourage more early adopters to buy the PS3 version now, as I am sure a lot of people would be on the fence knowing PS4 is around the corner.

Br3akingDawn

Apprentice Member

7/11/13 12:01:39 PM#11
eh? if you want something better youd by something new. its like getting a new gfx card. if your ok with your cards current gx u dont upgrade. you dont havvve to buy the ps4 version to play arr but if you want better gfx and fps u do. i will be getting the ps4 version when it comes out even though i would have got the PC and PS3 version already because I want to start playing already. and PS4 isnt coming out till end of the year and who knows exactly when 14arr will come out on Ps4 after launch. : |

BadSpock

Hard Core Member

Logic be damned!

7/11/13 3:23:56 PM#12

If I get it for free or for discount on PS4 I'll be happy.

If not, if I am still playing the game on my PS3 when the PS4 version comes out, I'll just buy it.

Now Playing: D3:RoS
Looking Towards: Destiny

free2play

Elite Member

7/11/13 5:11:22 PM#13
Originally posted by Fendel84M

Well, they won't be in the wrong asking PS3 users to purchase it again if they want to play on PS4. There's no expectation to get a free copy of a game on a new console. If they were simply making an exact port of the PS3 version on PS4 then absolutely it would be wrong to ask anyone to buy it again. But we all know there will be significant improvements to the PS4 version.

It's different than the 1.0 to ARR situation. Since we had purchased that game and then SE decided to remake it. It would have been wrong to ask us to purchase it again just to play. But no one is stopping a PS3 player from continuing to play that version once the PS4 version releases.

That said, I do believe SE will offer the PS4 version for free to PS3 purchasers. It would be better PR and encourage more early adopters to buy the PS3 version now, as I am sure a lot of people would be on the fence knowing PS4 is around the corner.

I bought FF14 when I was running a Vista Dual Core. I go out and get a Windows 8 i5 I don't need to buy FF14 again.

Someone sort of pointed out though, even if they make a PS4 ARR there isn't anything to prevent PS3 people from sticking to their PS3 if only for ARR. It isn't like they are going to delete PS3 stuff because the 4 is out. Saying that, it's all good. 

Looking at it that way, I'm surprised they don't have next Gen PC MMO's. I'm not sure I like where I am going with this so I'm a gonna shut up now..

Fendel84M

Defender of Worlds

7/11/13 11:22:54 PM#14

I bought FF14 when I was running a Vista Dual Core. I go out and get a Windows 8 i5 I don't need to buy FF14 again.

Someone sort of pointed out though, even if they make a PS4 ARR there isn't anything to prevent PS3 people from sticking to their PS3 if only for ARR. It isn't like they are going to delete PS3 stuff because the 4 is out. Saying that, it's all good. 

Looking at it that way, I'm surprised they don't have next Gen PC MMO's. I'm not sure I like where I am going with this so I'm a gonna shut up now..

That is completely different. There is no one working to code FFXIV for your new Windows 8 i5 computer is there? it's the exact same game. I actually can't go play my old DOS games on my Windows 7 PC without using a special program can I?

Consoles work differently than PCs, the PS3 version won't work with the PS4. If it did, then ya, just like your PC game you could use the same game. But it doesn't, so you can't.

And no ones going to make "next gen PC MMOs" and not let you play it unless you have certain hardware. For one, who's to decide what counts as "next gen PC" and two PC market is limited as it is why would they want to cut their market in half. For what purpose? The game devs aren't producing the hardware. It's not like SoE is gonna sell you a Geforce 780 to play EQNext on or anything.

Mr.Zeroone

Apprentice Member

7/12/13 12:52:55 AM#15
Sorry guys, if my question isn't new, but is true that buying PC version not allow to play on PS3?
  Cod_Eye

Advanced Member

7/12/13 2:10:34 AM#16
Originally posted by ZeroOne.TheDreamer
Sorry guys, if my question isn't new, but is true that buying PC version not allow to play on PS3?

You can play your character on ps3 and pc but you need to buy the software for both machines, you also will not be able to login on both machines at the same time.

No confirmation on how they will support current ps3 players who will be moving to the ps4 platform, only statement that I read from an interview is that players will be able to transfer accounts to the ps4, vague at best.

As to why they brought the game out for the ps3 when the ps4 is around the corner, Yoshi stated that it was promised to be released for the ps3 therefore upheld that promise.

It won't be available for xbox as microsoft want players for the xbox to have their own server and don't wish them to be playing alongside other platforms, Yoshi believes that is unaceptable and therfore the reason for no xbox version.

DX11 is being worked on and will be available next year.

[video]http://xivpads.com/?Cod-Eye-Ragnarok[/video]

Br3akingDawn

Apprentice Member

7/13/13 4:27:59 PM#17

I doubt it would be offered for free... Ps4 version would cost what? 59.99 maybe? PS3 version 19.99-29.99 by the time there is a PS4 version?? and Why would sony want to not make money with this? 

Fendel84M

Defender of Worlds

7/13/13 4:39:38 PM#18
Originally posted by Epic1oots

I doubt it would be offered for free... Ps4 version would cost what? 59.99 maybe? PS3 version 19.99-29.99 by the time there is a PS4 version?? and Why would sony want to not make money with this? 

Well, for one it's not Sony selling it. Square-enix is selling it. Two, the PS3 version is currently only $39.99 and PC digital is $29.99 so I doubt they will try to sell the PS4 version for more than that. Three, it might hurt current sales for PS3 because people will wait for PS4 to buy it. Obviously with a subscription model they are more interested in keeping people happy and subscribing. PS4 version won't be out for at least 6 months after PS3 and you do the math that is $90 per player which is more than even a full box price. So it might be more advantageous for them to offer PS4 version for free to PS3 users or heavily discounted.

Even if they just made it an early adopter bonus. Buy FFXIV by such and such date and receive a free upgrade to PS4 version when it launches. That would make the most sense to me, because no one could complain they didn't offer it.