Trending Games | The Crew | Landmark | Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor | WildStar

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,850,769 Users Online:0
Games:732  Posts:6,224,113
Square Enix | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 08/27/13)  | Pub:Square Enix
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Retail | Retail Price:$29.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC PS3 Playstation 4 | Out of date info? Let us know!

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn Forum » General Discussion » What Summons do you want to see get in the game?

2 Pages « 1 2 Search
32 posts found
  twrule

Novice Member

7/08/13 10:14:07 PM#21
Originally posted by Gormogon

There's not really any specific reason summoning (as a general concept) has to involve capturing or "breaking" the thing that needs to be summoned.  A summon could help you (and any number of other summoners) because you're important to the fate of the world and it's willing to help when called.   Or because it's life force was bound to a crystal that was shattered a thousand years ago into a million pieces that various summoners possess.  Or any number of other possibilities.

And from a gameplay perspective, if they didn't want them abused they could have put the popular summons on long cooldowns and required the help of party members to summon them (like the old warlock Doomguard in WoW).  There are all kinds of approaches, and most are not any more right or wrong than the others.  It just so happened SE wanted to make the popular summons showcase bosses in XIV, which made it unrealistic to make them available as regular summons.

In any case, I imagine summoners will end up with the generic versions of the elementals/spirits: fire, ice, thunder, earth, water, air, light, and dark.

In regards to the OP, making Alexander a dungeon would be incredible.  I'm actually going to be disappointed now if they don't do this.  :P

True - if they did anything like that in FFXIV though, it'd be more akin to a demonic summoning - i.e. the creature is forced to appear and bent to the summoner's will, against its own - because unlike previous FF games, the summons are definitely not playing for your team.

I agree on the likelihood of those elementals or 'essences'.

I think an Alexander boss fight is likely, only because if you've seen Ifrit and some of the other primal boss fights that there are videos and/or screenshots of, you can tell they are going for the spectacular; and boy would an Alexander fight be spectacular (same with Phoenix I'd say).

Murugan

Novice Member

7/08/13 10:42:44 PM#22

To clear things up for people.

Primals absolutely are able to be summoned by summoners.  They are called Egi's but they are actual versions of the summons like an Ifrit egi that has a DD role, and a Titan egi that has a tanking role, and garuda etc.

This was confirmed in the 2nd live letter from the producer at E3 you are welcome to look it up.  So no they are not just "simple elementals" they are actual summons.

People say they aren't "primals" because Yoshida wants to make a distinction that the summons you get are not full versions of the primals like you can summon if you capture one of the FATE primals when they are added.

However they are still iconic summons, in the summoner video above you see the ifrit egi casting hellfire. 

The "primal" summons for PvP etc. down the road are just massive versions of the primals that have zone altering effects supposedly and devastating powers that obviously you can't give every summoner.

http://xivpads.com/?1595680
http://guildwork.com/users/murugan

twrule

Novice Member

7/09/13 12:27:20 AM#23
Originally posted by Murugan

Primals absolutely are able to be summoned by summoners.  They are called Egi's but they are actual versions of the summons like an Ifrit egi that has a DD role, and a Titan egi that has a tanking role, and garuda etc.

However they are still iconic summons, in the summoner video above you see the ifrit egi casting hellfire. 

Yeah...not to be a nay-sayer, but I don't think any FF fan is going to be confusing the abstract featureless thing that appears in that trailer with the real-deal Ifrit anytime soon. It's just not the same as actually summoning Ifrit, even if it does mimick his attacks and vaguely resemble him. I've been pointing out to people that they are the essences of primals too, and so not 'simple elementals', but they certainly aren't just mini-versions of the primals either; and that's acceptable in my view.

Murugan

Novice Member

7/09/13 12:58:18 AM#24
Originally posted by twrule

Yeah...not to be a nay-sayer, but I don't think any FF fan is going to be confusing the abstract featureless thing that appears in that trailer with the real-deal Ifrit anytime soon. It's just not the same as actually summoning Ifrit, even if it does mimick his attacks and vaguely resemble him. I've been pointing out to people that they are the essences of primals too, and so not 'simple elementals', but they certainly aren't just mini-versions of the primals either; and that's acceptable in my view.

It is a miniature version of the model used in this game, and it uses his astral flow.

The only difference is the size (and the fact that it has no legs), but the main feedback has been for them so far since their reveal is to increase its size so maybe they will.  But they are definitely the primals not "fire" or "earth" and are meant to represent them, that is why they have different roles attached.

It would be very easy to increase their size by like 1.5x and suddenly people would "recognize" them much easier.  Frankly if Square Enix doesn't do it, expect someone to mod the .dat to do it for them.

ElRenmazuo

Elite Member

OP  7/09/13 1:02:45 AM#25
They seriously need to add the Weapons, whats a final fantasy without Omega Weapon or Ultima Weapon.  Now those are going to be some frustrating long boss fights.
  Murugan

Novice Member

7/09/13 1:07:01 AM#26
Originally posted by tkreep
They seriously need to add the Weapons, whats a final fantasy without Omega Weapon or Ultima Weapon.  Now those are going to be some frustrating long boss fights.

Ultima is already confirmed, they released art of it and it is in the Crystal's Call trailer being airlifted in along with the godzilla silhouette/roar reveal at the end of the trailer.

twrule

Novice Member

7/09/13 1:11:17 AM#27

It is a miniature version of the model used in this game, and it uses his astral flow.

The only difference is the size (and the fact that it has no legs), but the main feedback has been for them so far since their reveal is to increase its size so maybe they will.  But they are definitely the primals not "fire" or "earth" and are meant to represent them, that is why they have different roles attached.

It would be very easy to increase their size by like 1.5x and suddenly people would "recognize" them much easier.  Frankly if Square Enix doesn't do it, expect someone to mod the .dat to do it for them.

It could be my eye-sight, but I'm pretty sure making that thing in the trailer bigger is just going to leave us with a bigger 'red-floating-spinal cord with clawed arms and horns, but no face, legs or flesh'. I get that they correspond to the primals, somewhat resemble them, and anyone can 'recognize' them as such, but to say they are as similar as you are implying is silly. If that's the same model as ifrit, is a gutted and shaved-down version. If someone wants to mod them in, that's a separate issue - I'm just pointing out that they are noticeably distinct, and therefore it's understandable that some people would be slightly bummed that they didn't get to summon 'Ifrit himself' - even though I'm sure most would understand why they made that decision and be able to accept it.

Murugan

Novice Member

7/09/13 1:26:05 AM#28

It could be my eye-sight, but I'm pretty sure making that thing in the trailer bigger is just going to leave us with a bigger 'red-floating-spinal cord with clawed arms and horns, but no face, legs or flesh'. I get that they correspond to the primals, somewhat resemble them, and anyone can 'recognize' them as such, but to say they are as similar as you are implying is silly. If that's the same model as ifrit, is a gutted and shaved-down version. If someone wants to mod them in, that's a separate issue - I'm just pointing out that they are noticeably distinct, and therefore it's understandable that some people would be slightly bummed that they didn't get to summon 'Ifrit himself' - even though I'm sure most would understand why they made that decision and be able to accept it.

I think it has a face, I can see what you mean but Ifrit has a small head in this version anyways and  it is kind of hard to see in the video because it is always doing something and the flame effect kind of blurs it.   It looks pretty much the same as the model to me only smaller and made into a "mermaid" like essence (cut off at the waist).

twrule

Novice Member

7/09/13 1:40:48 AM#29

I think it has a face, I can see what you mean but Ifrit has a small head in this version anyways and  it is kind of hard to see in the video because it is always doing something and the flame effect kind of blurs it.   It looks pretty much the same as the model to me only smaller and made into a "mermaid" like essence (cut off at the waist).

Eh, I'm still not seeing it - but it's not worth quibbling over I guess; I'm happy with the setup they have and I'm sure most people will be too. It's a rare person that this would make or break the game for, I'm sure.

Simsu

Elite Member

7/11/13 9:41:13 PM#30

I've not seen this letter everyone is talking about, and I'd never heard of this prior to this thread (though I admit I haven't been closely following the producer letters) but I guess it's a possibility if multiple people have read this.

To the best of my memory this dates back to the shutdown of the original version when they were doing a live letter (in Japanese) that was translated on the original forums. I don't know of a copy you can still access (and since everything can and probably had changed somewhat, it's kinda pointless to worry too much about). More in another reply..

Simsu

Elite Member

7/11/13 10:22:08 PM#31

To really really clear things up for people... ...

You can go Google:  "FFXIV ARR Letter from the Producer Live: E3 Edition Part 2 (EN)"  and see the video in question. The first 20 min or so cover summoners.

At ~5:20 Yoshida (via translator) talks about the summon in question by stating, "this is not Ifrit, this is something we're calling Ifrit-egi."

Maybe that counts for some people (and that's totally fine), but for me, "this is not Ifrit," means it's not a primal. It's way way way better than the basic "spirits" that FFXI had, but looking similar does not equate to the real thing for me - especially when you can go get the real thing via the events.

Still, I'm way happier about these than plain elementals.

Arcticnoon

Novice Member

7/12/13 12:20:52 AM#32
Originally posted by aesperus

Just incase you didn't know (not saying you don't), Summons in this game won't be available to most players. They're apparently something that can only be summoned once, and then need to be captured again by a guild.

Maybe this will change, but who knows. Currently it seems that most summoners will only have access to lesser summons (elementals, fire demons, etc.)

I am in beta and I haven't a clue what you are talking about here. It's true that the 'guardian forces' or whatever you want to call them, will not be summonable by players.

SPOILERS:

Actually, they appear as boss fights; but everyone of the appropriate level and at the appropriate point in the story can fight them. There is no 'capturing' them, not sure where you heard that. Everything else you said is correct - as long as you change 'most' to 'all' summoners. The exception is Carbuncle, who will be available to all Arcanists (and I guess Sylph the fairy/pixie for Scholars, if it is indeed Sylph and not a generic fairy - though the 'sylph' are actually a race of beastmen in this game that are fairies, so it's plausible...)

I can list some confirmed summons to appear (as bosses):

-Ifrit

-Garuda

-Ramuh

-Titan

-Leviathan

-Odin (he's a world boss, not instanced with a boss arena like the others)

Not sure if confirmed for 2.0 but appeared in 1.0 and very likely:

-Moogle

The story often talks about the '12' primals (primals being the name for summons in this game) - so there you go, reason to believe there will be at least 12 such bosses. Bahamut does not count among these, I don't think, because he is considered an "Elder Primal" - he did make cameos in the cinematics though and is mentioned often in the story. Midgarsormr is also seen in cinematics.

My guesses to fill out the remaining 5 (though I have hopes we will someday fight Bahamut and/or Midgarsormr in addition):

-Shiva (no brainer)

-Diablos (spotted in promotional trailers but not confirmed)

-Alexander

-Phoenix

-Fenrir

Off-chance substitutes, extra/side-bosses:

-Gilgamesh

-Maduin

-Tonberry

Okay... Both of you are incorrect.

First off you will be able to summon the summons. Ifrit, Garuda, Ramah, Shiva, Leviathan, Titan and Fenrir. Yes Fenrir is already in the game.

The catch is you will not be able to summon the full blown version of these summons as a Smn. You will summon mini versions know as Ebi. They will still have many of the same spells and characteristics of the godlike summons, just smaller and toned down. They will also have roles, for example Titan will be a tank.

Second, yes you will be able to fight and capture the full blown summons after you defeat them in battle. These full blown summons can then be kept by your guild and released during pvp or pve. But you can only do this once before they are released back into the world. Yoshi P. says the entire server will know when a group unleashes a summons in battle.

2 Pages « 1 2 Search