Trending Games | Marvel Heroes | Elder Scrolls Online | Star Wars: The Old Republic | ArcheAge

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,922,002 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,314,919
Square Enix | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 08/27/13)  | Pub:Square Enix
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Retail | Retail Price:$29.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC PS3 Playstation 4 | Out of date info? Let us know!

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn Forum » General Discussion » Will there be any system that will differentiate our self's later on?

2 Pages « 1 2 Search
30 posts found
  Kayo83

Apprentice Member

6/24/13 9:18:50 AM#21
I dont think there are any talents unfortunately. Closest I saw were the stat point allocation and maybe a little bit of mixing or the different class abilities.

Oh and for the record, having some sort of talent system where most just follow the same cookie cutter build is waaay better than just being the same no matter what. At least the former gives players a choice. Cookie cutter "requirements" were only for "second job" guilds ive no desire in playing with anyway. Besides, in my experience if you spec smart and play to that builds strength, the differences between cookie cutter and a good custom spec were minuscule.
  Naqaj

Novice Member

6/24/13 9:28:28 AM#22
Originally posted by NetSage

I was talking more in just the jobs department.  There are still a good amount from the FF series not in FFXIV.

Don't think that helps. The idea of having any kind of unique or uncommon quality about your character really isn't all too realistic in a game with hundreds of thousands of players all having access to the exact same limited set of options as you.

cheyane

Hard Core Member

6/24/13 9:56:15 AM#23
But it is not that easy to get to level up so many jobs. People will need certain jobs and as I recall from playing my red mage in FFXI you will be judged on your skill because of all the battle chain thing we did in that game. Poor players were not invited back.You can distinguish yourself by playing well in the group.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Naqaj

Novice Member

6/24/13 10:07:36 AM#24
Originally posted by cheyane
But it is not that easy to get to level up so many jobs. People will need certain jobs and as I recall from playing my red mage in FFXI you will be judged on your skill because of all the battle chain thing we did in that game. Poor players were not invited back.You can distinguish yourself by playing well in the group.

True, but you can do that in any game, regardless of its character building mechanics.

Naqaj

Novice Member

6/24/13 10:27:59 AM#25
gah, double post.
  Dfix

Novice Member

6/24/13 10:28:56 AM#26
Originally posted by Naqaj
Originally posted by cheyane

True, but you can do that in any game, regardless of its character building mechanics.

It's much easier to "hide" using alts in other MMOs. Not so much in FFXI and FFXIV. One of the greatest things about the FF MMO franchise is everyone knows everyone.

Vivik-Cerberus

Naqaj

Novice Member

6/24/13 10:35:25 AM#27
Originally posted by Dfix

It's much easier to "hide" using alts in other MMOs. Not so much in FFXI and FFXIV. One of the greatest things about the FF MMO franchise is everyone knows everyone.

Great illustration of my point. Does everyone know everyone because of what they do, or because of how uniquely they distributed their merit points ... ?

My guess would be the former.

itsTort

Apprentice Member

6/24/13 3:38:11 PM#28
Originally posted by saiweed
Originally posted by Murugan
Originally posted by Lazzaro

I'm talking about a talent system, or the the current system they have with point allocation to stats that gives us passive or non passive skills. I know we have Jobs and they kinda work like that, but they're just an extension of classes and not really and talent system.

Other than gear, jobs, possibly merit points down the road I hope not.  I am not a fan of talent trees, I don't like to gimp myself in order to be unique.  Which means I'm either using a cookie cutter build, or trying to innovate one of my own.

I'd actually prefer not to see Merit Points in this game either.  I really can't think of a system like this that enhances gameplay rather than just being an annoying tacked on experience to separate "noobs' from people who understand the game and optimal builds. I think they are going for a more accepting and accessible community here in FFXIV, so I think that philosophy precludes "unique" and meaningful talent tree builds as a core feature.

this ..as in almost every other mmo that lets you be ''unique'' that way the same applies to path of exile you either follow someones exact ideal build to be pro or you are unique and fucking suck d i  c k . 

its the sad truth and I do hate it but it is how it is. its no true uniqueism just a way to pull you in to eventually copy someones build after all anyway unless youre the first to make the best cookie cutter build

Lol, Or, you could build a unique, non crappy build in Path of Exile, and know how to play the class, and be just fine. Most people just go straight for the cookie cutter builds, and think thats the only thing that works, but when in reality, there are so many different choices. 

That's not to say it's the same for Final Fantasy XIV though, obviously you do not have the freedom you do in PoE, as there isn't a web of madness, and it's probably a generally good idea to not go too crazy with the stat points.

Nihilist

Apprentice Member

6/24/13 3:43:49 PM#29

The only differentiation is 30 stat points, and 4 cross-class skills.

Every person playing a class will be virtually identical to anyone else playing the same class.

Kajidourden

Advanced Member

6/24/13 11:55:57 PM#30
Originally posted by Kajidourden
Originally posted by Homitu
Originally posted by Lazzaro

I'm talking about a talent system, or the the current system they have with point allocation to stats that gives us passive or non passive skills. I know we have Jobs and they kinda work like that, but they're just an extension of classes and not really and talent system.

Other than gear, jobs, possibly merit points down the road I hope not.  I am not a fan of talent trees, I don't like to gimp myself in order to be unique.  Which means I'm either using a cookie cutter build, or trying to innovate one of my own.

The alternative is almost complete homogenization.  If the game doesn't even include a way for players to differentiate themselves, then everyone who plays the same class is exactly the same.  Nobody is unique.  

I feel like you're talking down a worst case scenario where a one talent setup becomes the unquestionable *strongest* option, and all other talents, while maybe cool or fun, are indisputably worse.  That's simply not always the case.  And if we're just comparing on a theoretical level, it's certainly unfair to compare a worst case scenario with one system with a good case scenario with another system.  Let's include the possibility that multiple builds for a single class may be viable and diverse.  

That would require them balancing for those multiple builds to keep them viable.  So then why not just add them as completely new jobs as they are planning to do?  That way you get better balance, even more differentiation in playstyle, and tons of content added as a result.

I know multiple builds can be viable, but not unlimited builds so it isn't as free as it would seem (if you care about playing with others effectively).  I think the negatives in terms of how these systems divide the community and foster both elitism and alienation within the community are not insignificant.  I'd rather have a good community where players are funneled towards a positive experience with grouping and as a result want to engage the community and be better group players.

Rather than joining their first group and finding out their talent tree has rendered them disappointing to their teammates.  That won't get them wanting to join more groups in the future. 

If you are talking solo you already have classes, and you can get a completely unique ability loadout through the armoury ability system.  More so than talent trees in most MMO's would give you.

^This.

"Freedom" to build a class only leads to a maximized build.  You're just trading one baseline for another.  Its retarded.

Bump

2 Pages « 1 2 Search