Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,848,645 Users Online:0
Games:732  Posts:6,222,965
Square Enix | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 08/27/13)  | Pub:Square Enix
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Retail | Retail Price:$29.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC PS3 Playstation 4 | Out of date info? Let us know!

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn Forum » General Discussion » Beta NDA Temporarily Dropped

5 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 Search
99 posts found
  Snowdon_Cloudripper

Novice Member

I was a 5 star elite member but my awesomeness was showing and the Mods cant have that

4/28/13 3:12:24 PM#81
Originally posted by simsalabim77
Originally posted by Inigo_Montoya
Offering a judgment on your opinion bias. The area is boring . Is not answering questions its adding your own bias. Grid from V1 to now is nice on the eyes . It is more open. The quest like at the moment is generic most of the NPCs are placeholders. Most of the story is generic as in its not the real story. The creation of character is also incomplete there will be more options. This is beta not retail not open beta. You can not review a game based on a beta build. Testers test the game read the updated and do what is asked . If you want a honest review on how beta is going read the posts left on here from zam , dualshockers , they have a great inside review on the beta. And it is a unbiased one.

All reviews are bias. They are an individuals opinion. Since they are mostly positive and "soft" you think they're unbiased because it coincides with your opinion. The area, right now is boring. I said a lot is likely to change. It's like you guys selectively read posts. I gave my impressions of the starter area based on my experience with it, and since it is a negative opinion, it is biased. Well of course it's goddamned bias, just like how your opinion is biased based on your tastes and experiences. 

And it's not exactly as though I said out of nowhere that the starter area is boring. It was brought up by someone else, a fellow beta tester,  and we, big shocker here, talked about it with one another. This thread was intended to give non beta players a chance to find out a little information from someone who was playing the beta. I'm not claiming the starter area sucks, and that is a fact. I'm saying after having played it multiple times over the months, and based on my experiences, it sucks. It's an opinion. You're welcome to disagree with it, but I'd ask that you stop derailing the thread, and instead present your opinion of the starter area to offer a different point of view. FFXIV is not under attack. Take a breath, stop being so defensive, and make a constructive post that focuses on why you think the starter area is good instead of why everyone who disagrees with you is bias and wrong.

If that was the case V1 would have had a really awesome review and it did not. Because were going from V1 to ARR and the reviews are positive must say a lot. If you think about it. Or keep assuming witch ever 

http://absoluteretribution.enjin.com/ Guild Website and Recruitment link

Snowdon_Cloudripper

Novice Member

I was a 5 star elite member but my awesomeness was showing and the Mods cant have that

4/28/13 3:17:57 PM#82
I am not disclosing anything because of the NDA . I cant tell people what they want to hear because it setting is not done. The quest lines are not done , the main story is not done . I think you are more upset that we have all been stuck in the same area for so long. And because of that you feel bord . And i can agree but thats what Beta testing is about . When Phase 3 starts your tune will change because there will be more then just one place open.  So because we are limited in a area yes one can be bord if your there for 2 months . But that is not the over all feel of the direction of the game and to say it is gives off the wrong impression to someone who is not in beta. They read it and say oh great its going to be dull. When in fact its only dull because its the only area to be in. I am sure at first like me you were excitd to test . Then after 5 weeks of the same old same old you get board. Again that is not the over all feeling of the starting area . That is your opinion of being stuck in one area.

simsalabim77

Novice Member

OP  4/28/13 3:20:22 PM#83
Offering a judgment on your opinion bias. The area is boring . Is not answering questions its adding your own bias. Grid from V1 to now is nice on the eyes . It is more open. The quest like at the moment is generic most of the NPCs are placeholders. Most of the story is generic as in its not the real story. The creation of character is also incomplete there will be more options. This is beta not retail not open beta. You can not review a game based on a beta build. Testers test the game read the updated and do what is asked . If you want a honest review on how beta is going read the posts left on here from zam , dualshockers , they have a great inside review on the beta. And it is a unbiased one.

All reviews are bias. They are an individuals opinion. Since they are mostly positive and "soft" you think they're unbiased because it coincides with your opinion. The area, right now is boring. I said a lot is likely to change. It's like you guys selectively read posts. I gave my impressions of the starter area based on my experience with it, and since it is a negative opinion, it is biased. Well of course it's goddamned bias, just like how your opinion is biased based on your tastes and experiences. 

And it's not exactly as though I said out of nowhere that the starter area is boring. It was brought up by someone else, a fellow beta tester,  and we, big shocker here, talked about it with one another. This thread was intended to give non beta players a chance to find out a little information from someone who was playing the beta. I'm not claiming the starter area sucks, and that is a fact. I'm saying after having played it multiple times over the months, and based on my experiences, it sucks. It's an opinion. You're welcome to disagree with it, but I'd ask that you stop derailing the thread, and instead present your opinion of the starter area to offer a different point of view. FFXIV is not under attack. Take a breath, stop being so defensive, and make a constructive post that focuses on why you think the starter area is good instead of why everyone who disagrees with you is bias and wrong.

If that was the case V1 would have had a really awesome review and it did not. Because were going from V1 to ARR and the reviews are positive must say a lot. If you think about it. Or keep assuming witch ever 

Again, I'd ask that instead of continuing to derail the thread that you tell us your impressions of the starter zone and character creation to offer a contrast to the negative opinions. If not, then I'd ask you to stop posting, as I'm running out of patience and civility for the FFXIV defense force. 

Also, again, I will reiterate that overall the game is good, but the starter area needs improvement. Stop focusing on one criticism and thinking that the negativity applies to the entirety of the game. 

Also the premise of your post is a strawman and a pointless comparison. 

Snowdon_Cloudripper

Novice Member

4/28/13 3:23:25 PM#84
I am not disclosing anything because of the NDA . I cant tell people what they want to hear because it setting is not done. The quest lines are not done , the main story is not done . I think you are more upset that we have all been stuck in the same area for so long. And because of that you feel bord . And i can agree but thats what Beta testing is about . When Phase 3 starts your tune will change because there will be more then just one place open.  So because we are limited in a area yes one can be bord if your there for 2 months . But that is not the over all feel of the direction of the game and to say it is gives off the wrong impression to someone who is not in beta. They read it and say oh great its going to be dull. When in fact its only dull because its the only area to be in. I am sure at first like me you were excitd to test . Then after 5 weeks of the same old same old you get board. Again that is not the over all feeling of the starting area . That is your opinion of being stuck in one area.

comment? 

simsalabim77

Novice Member

OP  4/28/13 3:29:03 PM#85

comment? 

I'm not upset. The starter area makes me feel bored because it is boring for me. There is an hour of nothing but fetch/delivery quests as soon as you start the game. The storyline being finished or having cool NPC's isn't going to make that fun. If you don't want to offer your opinion of the starter zone as it stands in phase 2, then that is fine, but if you're not going to then don't expect me to just shush about it because you don't like what I'm saying. 

Snowdon_Cloudripper

Novice Member

4/28/13 3:35:17 PM#86

comment? 

I'm not upset. The starter area makes me feel bored because it is boring for me. There is an hour of nothing but fetch/delivery quests as soon as you start the game. The storyline being finished or having cool NPC's isn't going to make that fun. If you don't want to offer your opinion of the starter zone as it stands in phase 2, then that is fine, but if you're not going to then don't expect me to just shush about it because you don't like what I'm saying. 

One could say the same thing you dont like what i am saying. So dont squash my opinion 

simsalabim77

Novice Member

OP  4/28/13 3:46:04 PM#87

comment? 

One could say the same thing you dont like what i am saying. So dont squash my opinion 

I'm not squashing your opinion. I asked that you stop derailing the thread and post your impressions to offer some balanced perspective. You told me why you don't want to post your impressions, and that is fine. This is where our conversation ends and anybody who reads this can decide what they want to beleive.

Snowdon_Cloudripper

Novice Member

4/28/13 3:50:39 PM#88

comment? 

I'm not squashing your opinion. I asked that you stop derailing the thread and post your impressions to offer some balanced perspective. You told me why you don't want to post your impressions, and that is fine. This is where our conversation ends and anybody who reads this can decide what they want to beleive.

Agree this conversation is over. And the people can judge if your or my opinion holds more weight. 

Ralstlin

Novice Member

4/28/13 3:55:50 PM#89

This Game is Impressive, i played Tera, GW2, and more games.. good graphics, good gameplay,  good engine, good lore... You can like it or not, but is an impressive game.

Is so good how you feel atached to your character so fast! in other games i never felt like i cared about it.

ZizouX

Hard Core Member

4/28/13 4:19:07 PM#90
Originally posted by Ralstlin

This Game is Impressive, i played Tera, GW2, and more games.. good graphics, good gameplay,  good engine, good lore... You can like it or not, but is an impressive game.

Is so good how you feel atached to your character so fast! in other games i never felt like i cared about it.

This will be even more the case because ONE character plays ALL classes.  You will become VERY attached to your character.  In most games, some people call their characters their "toons" not so in FFXIV.  This is a good think and creates a better community.

drivendawn

Elite Member

4/28/13 5:21:46 PM#91

I think that Gridania the city is very nice looking. Some things look the same, some very different. They have well made tutorials for new comers which is good because 1.0 got blasted in reviews for lacking this fundamental mechanic. As someone else has said the main story quests have place holders and won't show CG so no comment on that one. Also as far as quest go in the city, yeah kinda par for the course but thats to be expected as most of it is the tutorial quests.

Now as for character creation there are plenty of options but it couldn't hurt to have more. Yoshi P. has confirmed that there will be more by launch like hair styles, colors and so forth. YAY : )

MagikrorriM

Advanced Member

4/29/13 6:18:01 AM#92
Since the partial lift is kind of vague of where it draws the line, considering that certain quests may involve combat abilities, inside the town itself, which are your beginning abilities, for what class, ect. To be on the safe side of things, I would suggest sticking to character creation only, as this part of the game has clearly allowed to be discussed.
  Zierrity

Advanced Member

none

4/29/13 7:25:32 AM#93

Personally, I think Gridania as it is now, is one heck of an improvement of Gridania in 1.0 (Which I found to be the most boring starting zone in FFXIV 1.0).

It doesn't feels like a maze any longer, but is more open, and to me, it looks gorgeous.

Even though people keep calling the quests boring and grindy, I also find this to be an huge improvement of 1.0, as basicly, all you got back then were the guild leves and farming. 

I don't really want to talk much about the combat as I feel haven't experienced enough og it to pass a judgement, but the only thing I can say is, I wish they were getting rid of the global cooldown.

Character creation, to me, is pretty much the same as it was back in 1.0 with a couple more hair choices per race, more voices, ear sizes, tail lenght etc. They've added face paint and bust size though, which I think was a good call :)

I do find it kind of funny that much of the hate when FFXIV first came out were directed towards the Guild Leves and how little you could do aside from them to level up. And now, They've added a bunch of quests next to the guild leves, but now that is boring and grindy, nothing new, the same old, etc etc. And I'm sitting here trying to think of any game which have come out the last couple of years who've done this different and exciting? Sure, Guild Wars 2 did it kind of different, and while I do love the game, it's still the same old kill and fetch quests in a different skin. Secret World did it kind of different, but it was pretty much the same there as well.. (with emphasis on "Kind of"). Age of Wushu, well yeah, it's kind of different as it being more of a sandbox than a themepark, but it too, have quite a few of the same old general quests we see in basicly every MMO.

WoW, Aion, Swtor, Rift, AoC, Tera, Defiance & all the countless f2p releases over the last couple of years, all these themepark games have the same general quest system with "ordinary" and "boring" quests, and I do get why they keep following this guide line, as it works. Did anyone really expect something different and new? As i've heard countless of times during my time here at MMORPG.COM, if it's not broken, dont fix it. Which I really think applies well to this topic. No, it's not fresh and exciting, and yes, it can be boring and repetitive. But, it works. Upcoming games as Blade & Soul and ArcheAge will also follow this guide line when it comes to quest. They do add other stuff, but when it comes to quests, they follow the footsteps of most developers. (And yes I have played both games so I do have a general impression of both games).

But back to FFXIV:ARR. I, personally, have had a good experiance this far. while it's nothing new, it does works and I enjoy it :)

I do apologize the wall of text, it wasn't really supposed to be this long :P

Murugan

Novice Member

4/29/13 12:45:02 PM#94

The NDA was not dropped, there were certain things people were allowed to talk about specifically because they were showing them off at the Nico Nico event to the public.

They should never have announced even that though because no one here actually reads their announcements apparently (except OP).

What is the excuse of the rest of you?  Can you not even read the first post on this topic?

There is nothing to discuss here because most of what you are "reviewing" is still under the NDA and using the same alias on here as I do in multiple MMO's I'm not going to risk having my account banned.  I think it is dishonest though pretending that this is a discussion between beta testers, when clearly only those willing to risk breeching the NDA (or ignorant of it) are going to be posting. I thought a moderator would close this as I'm sure it has been reported. 

If you want actual information about the game they released quite a bit of information at the event last weekend.

Some key points of interest:

Originally posted by dualshockers.com
  • The game’s release window has been confirmed for this summer simultaneously for PC and PS3.
  • A release for the PS4 is very possible, as the team would like to reach an audience as wide as they can. A final decision will be taken when the time is right.
  • There will be new music created by Nobuo Uematsu (Yoshida already confirmed this when I recently interviewed him).
  • There are plans to release the soundtrack. It may be part of the collector’s edition.
  • New TV commercials are in production for all the different markets: Japan, North America and Europe. They will debut in late May or early June.
  • The current phase of the beta includes approximately 580,000 people, and many more will be added with phase 3.
  • Yoshida can’t say when beta phase 3 will start exactly, as it depends on Sony’s certification of the PS3 client (Edit: This was rectified during day 2 of the event, as you can read here).
  • The new Benchmark software that will include character creation is in development and will be released between phase 3 and phase 4.
  • Square Enix is planning to release collectibles related to the game after launch.
  • A new organization called “Clan of Dawn” (Akatsuki no Ketsumei) will play an important role in the story of the new game. A new primary NPC named Alfino (Edit: an official transliteration had been provided, and his name will be Alphinaud) is a member of the clan and will be voiced by Shinnosuke Tachibana (you can see the character’s portrait below).

FFXIV_Alfino

• Minifilia (a relevant character in the Ul’dah original storyline of Final Fantasy XIV, you can check my story recap column if you want to know who she is) will play a very relevant role in the storyline of A Realm Reborn.
  • Thancred (again, you can check my story recap column to learn about him) will be voiced by Yuichi Nakamura a very popular voice actor in Japan that lent his vocals cords to many relevant characters like Alto Saotome in Macross Frontier and Cid Raines in Final Fantsy XIII.
  • The final location of the Gold Saucer is still undecided.
  • A smartphone companion app will be released allowing players to access character status, a database, their friend list and features related to the Free Company.
  • The PvP Coliseum will be added during phase 4 of the beta, but all PvP points earned will be reset at release to be fair to those not participating to the beta test.
  • Even those that didn’t play the original Final Fantasy XIV will able to enjoy the story, that will be more similar to a classic Final Fantasy game.
  • At the beginning there won’t be Japanese-style costumes like Kimono, but when the visual style of the game will be solidified, adding different styles will be considered.

Originally posted by http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/event/20130429_597921.html  (translation by reinheart)

I feel that Gladiator's Flash range is bit short, will it expand from phase 3?

Y: You asking to make it larger? That's not a question... more like a request (laugh). Can't you gather them together in range? (laugh) Put on marker, and use some combos, trying to keep hate just with flash isn't enough (also can say YoshiP saying she's not well trained Glad ) (laugh). I will deliver the message to the battle team.

I believe you mentioned Marauders were tanks, but I want do some more of attacker. In CC during princess ant battle, we were able to perform as attacker, but during Ifrit Extreme (the Bowl of Embers (Extreme): Highest rank battle for primal battles) we weren't as much, so in ARR can't you do a little more to be an attacker?

Y: It will vary from Gladiator. The role as tank is to tank, but it's the type that will keep hate (tank) by attacking. We're are making sure it's not half-finished. Didn't get much questions about Marauder during the Live, but really it changed greatly, please look forward to it. You can use it from phase 3.

Regarding beastman base, during legacy (old FFXIV) there was boss, and was where you can go in grouped as alliance. In ARR, will there be new forts or bosses?

Y: Just last week, we updated the promotion site and released screenshots of Sahagin and Sylph, there are bases for Sahagins and Sylph, at ARR start timing, we prepared 5 beastmen bases. At first to get players to go through them we have F.A.T.E. but internally we have something called 2.1 patch where we are planning to change the content, the beastmen up until now were something like not sure what they are but they look bad, so lets take them out, but this will be changed to something which is more story and lore involving.

There is something called Dark Light Gear which you can obtain from Cutters Cry or Aurum Vale, what grade will these gear be in ARR?

Y: We already have the hierarchy, not sure if I can say this...... you should have it for going against primal battle? It's something like that. Compared to previous FFXIV you should be able to obtain it without going through as much trouble.

This is good news for those users who couldn't get the body during Legacy (Previous XIV)!

Y: It might make those people who put in lots of effort going "What?". This questions hurts pretty badly.

Regarding Relic!

Y: O...ok.

Mr. Yoshida don't run away! I also obtained a relic, but i went though a lot to make the relic. Weapon kept on breaking when crafting, the material itself was hard, and it breaks, and even if you buy from the market it's really expensive! When you finally got that crafted, and you start materia melding it breaks! Then you have to start all over again.
You stated that relic weapons will evolve, but if that's true, after putting in all that work, you'll be like new relic again? (laugh). Will there be something like FFXI's mythic or enpyrean?

Y: Can you stop turning into Garuda? (laugh). There is some misunderstanding, Relic in previous XIV was in the highest rank, but in ARR we want players to obtain it to go through Crystal Tower. And there are weapon you can obtain in Crystal Tower is higher than Relic. Next with those weapons/gears you obtain from Crystal Tower you challenge Great Labyrinth of Bahamut which is higher. This is how it's going to be at the official service start.

However, we'll have contents added later. Next we'll have contents which will upgrade the Relics. By doing this it will become the next highest. To clear that you will need to go through those contents. By making it same design, you'll get bored right? So by upgrading it more to something like Relic2 we'll make sure both items doesn't die, make sure it doesn't go to waste.

When forming a party, we have to type in the command "/pcmd add character name", but can't we just click on the name in the log, or if you feel someone is annoying just click and block, or be able to send tell, or invite to party?

Y: From phase 3 there will be more features, by clicking on the log it's possible to send tell and stuff. Until final product version we will be adding more commands, so should be able to do everything you just mentioned now. We finally switched the entire chat system. We have received lots of request for this one and we also knew this one, but we were finally able to switch it so it's all good now!

http://xivpads.com/?1595680
http://guildwork.com/users/murugan

Deathofsage

Apprentice Member

Honestly:
FFXI Fanboy
RIFT hater.
Stop rewarding wow-clones.

4/29/13 12:57:06 PM#95

Yoshida said

However, when the original FFXIV was in development, the goal of the project was simply to make a game that was different from Final Fantasy XI.

That alone was their goal, according to him. They weren't trying to be like wow, but merely different from FFXI. If FFXI did it one way, 14 did it different and that's certainly evident.

http://kotaku.com/5963155/new-final-fantasy-xiv-director-talks-about-what-went-wrong-with-the-original

Edit: I guess it appears to some that i'm talking about ARR, I'm talking to the people in this thread that say FFXIV 1.x was modeled after wow. 1.x's goal was to different than XI and that alone.

Spec'ing properly is a gateway drug.
12 Million People have been meter spammed in heroics.
Placing bets Blizzard's "Titan" will be a wow-clone.

Murugan

Novice Member

4/29/13 1:04:30 PM#96
Originally posted by Deathofsage

Yoshida said

However, when the original FFXIV was in development, the goal of the project was simply to make a game that was different from Final Fantasy XI.

That alone was their goal, according to him. They weren't trying to be like wow, but merely different from FFXI. If FFXI did it one way, 14 did it different and that's certainly evident.

http://kotaku.com/5963155/new-final-fantasy-xiv-director-talks-about-what-went-wrong-with-the-original

You may want to read the link you provided.

He is talking about 1.0, the previous team, and director and how they designed 1.0 originally.  It has nothing to do with their design direction in 2.0.  It might seem that way though taken completely out of context as you just did.

http://xivpads.com/?1595680
http://guildwork.com/users/murugan

Tsuru

Novice Member

4/29/13 1:23:32 PM#97
Originally posted by Cod_Eye

You guys need to calm down. People know that it's only beta and aren't judging the entirety of the game based on it. NDA was lifted and I figured it'd be nice to talk about what we could, but of course it turned into the FFXIV defense force taking every single bit of negativity and turned it into something it wasn't. 

WE KNOW IT'S BETA. We know it's going to change. We're not judging the entire game based on character creation and Grid. Just because the starter area is boring does not mean the entire game will be terrible. I haven't seen a single post in these 7 pages that judged the whole game based on this very brief glimpse into Grid. I know the FFXIV fanbase is hypersensitive to negativity, but don't twist someone saying, "The starter area is boring" into "The entire game is awful" because I haven't seen a single person say that. 

NDA is not lifted, try some reading comprehension.

Maybe YOU need to try some reading comprehension.

He said " NDA was lifted and I figured it'd be nice to talk about what we could" NDA WAS lifted pertaining to character creation and Gridania, in which he describes here "We're not judging the entire game based on character creation and Grid."

Deathofsage

Apprentice Member

Honestly:
FFXI Fanboy
RIFT hater.
Stop rewarding wow-clones.

4/29/13 2:54:34 PM#98
Originally posted by Murugan
Originally posted by Deathofsage

Yoshida said

You may want to read the link you provided.

He is talking about 1.0, the previous team, and director and how they designed 1.0 originally.  It has nothing to do with their design direction in 2.0.  It might seem that way though taken completely out of context as you just did.

Sorry, I was speaking for 1.0. People seem to be saying 1.0 was modeled after WoW and that's the point I was arguing against.

Spec'ing properly is a gateway drug.
12 Million People have been meter spammed in heroics.
Placing bets Blizzard's "Titan" will be a wow-clone.

nbtscan

Apprentice Member

4/29/13 3:06:58 PM#99

To those who feel the start is a bit lacking, Phase 3 and Phase 4 should help with that.  The beta is confined to the Black Shroud area and many things are purposely omitted for Phases 1 and 2.  Once the story is properly implemented, that should hopefully give the game the "oomph" it needs to get up and going.  (that is assuming people even care about story and aren't just skipping through quest text to hurry through the leveling process)

There are many familiar areas within Gridania as well as some new areas.  I like the new aesthetic direction of the city and I think it will speak for the game as a whole.

The character creation options are pretty good and Yoshida has said there will be even more in Phase 3 and possibly more after that at launch.

5 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 Search