Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,774,020 Users Online:0
Games:720  Posts:6,187,865
Square Enix | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 08/27/13)  | Pub:Square Enix
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Retail | Retail Price:$29.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC PS3 Playstation 4 | Out of date info? Let us know!

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn Forum » General Discussion » A Few Questions About the F.A.T.E. System

3 Pages « 1 2 3 Search
41 posts found
  Murugan

Novice Member

4/02/13 11:06:58 AM#41
Originally posted by Keitaro333
Originally posted by BegaTasy

MMOs were always about freedom of play before the wow generation of games destoryed them. Now days without quests the young ones wont play. it's a shame because while the days of FFXI an standing in dunes for 5 hours looking for a group were hell, the games were better.

Now days with questing its all about how fast you can level, an if you cant max out in a under 24 hours, they get shirty.

Well, im an old gamer, my first MMO was UO and i played it for a few years. But my glasses arent nearly as rose colored.

Youre still free to play without questing, you can grind it out if you like. Will you? I know i wont. Its boring as hell. And i tried UO and EQ1 recently after many years. Its the same. Boring. So i think that while games have changed, we did even more.

The first online games were awesome because it was something completely new. It was amazing just thinking about it, the ability to play with actual people in whole virtual worlds. It was like out of a scifi. Today its common. And while new games might not have some of the features of the old games, old games didnt have many good features that are common today. Basically most of the things that made the games amazing back then are so common today that we dont even think about them.

Im interested to see how well will Archeage do, which seems to be closer to the sandbox UO was than most MMOs today. But i have a feeling it wont be that hot. It was possible to create a great sandbox game in 1997 when the expectations were much lower and the technology was much simpler. Today its really ambitious and difficult to do it right. (see Mortal, which does not).

Not only that but because simply the ability to play a MMO with real people does not have the wow effect (pun not intended) that it did 15 years ago, new games need much more to keep people entertained than the ones before.

tl:dr

Old MMOs today arent as fun as people nostalgically think. Not anymore.

Also, its much more difficult than before to impress people and make a great MMO.

Main quests aside, personally I'll be leveling in dungeons and guildhests as I don't like to solo quest grind.  To me this is actually a better system then open world mob grinding (solo or party).  And this comes from a huge fan of FFXI and big advocate of the introduction of xp chains and other changes to 1.0 that made mob grinding there possible (xp chains/linking returns in ARR).

Dungeon partying is also stated by Yoshi to be faster. than solo quest grinding.  He said "You could just run dungeons back to back and this would be the fastest, but maybe not the best way to level".

This way also I can save a lot of subquests for jobs down the road I am less interested in and just want to get over.

Granted at launch I will have everything capped but summoner, but they plan to (and better!) introduce many more classes/jobs downt he road.

http://xivpads.com/?1595680
http://guildwork.com/users/murugan

3 Pages « 1 2 3 Search