Trending Games | World of Warcraft | Dragon Age: Inquisition | EverQuest | Skyforge

  Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,905,041 Users Online:0
Games:757  Posts:6,292,236
Square Enix | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 08/27/13)  | Pub:Square Enix
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Retail | Retail Price:$29.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC PS3 Playstation 4 | Out of date info? Let us know!

2 Pages 1 2 » Search
22 posts found
  AtherisProxy

Apprentice Member

Joined: 9/23/06
Posts: 2

 
OP  3/01/13 5:14:38 AM#1
My local game store has many FF XIV's in bargain bin for 10€ a piece. All normal editions, sealed. Worth buying one? Does it guarantee instant access to beta? Or is open beta coming soon? Anything else to know about? Thanks!
  sketocafe

Hard Core Member

Joined: 7/19/11
Posts: 651

3/01/13 5:31:16 AM#2

It they're in the bargain bin, are you talking about the first version they released?

I was under the impression that the first version of XIV is done. I don't think buying that gets you anything at all in relation to the reboot.

  User Deleted
3/01/13 5:37:36 AM#3
Originally posted by sketocafe

It they're in the bargain bin, are you talking about the first version they released?

I was under the impression that the first version of XIV is done. I don't think buying that gets you anything at all in relation to the reboot.

Purddy sure if that were the case the store would be liable to get sued for selling defective products, it's likely the serial number can still be applied to his account and him to get 30 days of game time and download the Reborn version of their site. As far as buying or not buying it's less than a monthly sub for 30 days of gametime, good trial run to decide if you like the game or not.

  couponfork

Apprentice Member

Joined: 9/30/06
Posts: 51

3/01/13 5:39:16 AM#4

There's an entire discussion about this a few posts down, I don't believe you can redeem old FFXIV codes currently, so no you would not get into beta.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/377777/What-if-I-buy-Final-Fantasy-XIV-original-version-box-now.html

  CodeFuzer

Advanced Member

Joined: 12/23/06
Posts: 97

3/01/13 5:42:50 AM#5
Originally posted by couponfork

There's an entire discussion about this a few posts down, I don't believe you can redeem old FFXIV codes currently, so no you would not get into beta.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/377777/What-if-I-buy-Final-Fantasy-XIV-original-version-box-now.html

You can't redeem any codes currently. Last beta phase will allow you to use any serial to get an account. So you can use old FFXIV also and get to last beta. Considering previous betas will have wipes thats enough.

  Cod_Eye

Advanced Member

Joined: 9/04/09
Posts: 1024

3/01/13 5:54:14 AM#6

Retailers were asked to destroy remaining FFXIV products and that they would be re-imbursed. I would say no its not worth buying, as the account registration page is closed, so you would not be able to register that product and when the registration page is re-instated the code would no longer be valid as the FFXIV product registration would be removed and that ARR would replace that product.

The way I see it is that the retailer that is selling those are ripping you off as when you open and attempt to register you will not be able to get your money back, as most retailers expect the item in original packaging to qualify.  Added to the fact they already get the money back for those products from their supplier.

  Alberel

Novice Member

Joined: 12/02/09
Posts: 1121

3/06/13 7:25:14 PM#7
Originally posted by Cod_Eye

Retailers were asked to destroy remaining FFXIV products and that they would be re-imbursed. I would say no its not worth buying, as the account registration page is closed, so you would not be able to register that product and when the registration page is re-instated the code would no longer be valid as the FFXIV product registration would be removed and that ARR would replace that product.

The way I see it is that the retailer that is selling those are ripping you off as when you open and attempt to register you will not be able to get your money back, as most retailers expect the item in original packaging to qualify.  Added to the fact they already get the money back for those products from their supplier.

I was under the impression old codes from 1.0 would still be valid for ARR, the registration page is just currently offline. I know a lot of people still have unregistered codes bought before retailers were instructed to cease sales... Given that already registered 1.0 codes will be upgraded to ARR when it relaunches I see no reason why the system won't recognise the registration of other old codes.

Having said that I also see no point in buying an old copy now... just wait for the open beta and buy the new version when it launches.

  Br3akingDawn

Advanced Member

Joined: 2/01/11
Posts: 1326

3/06/13 10:56:07 PM#8
Originally posted by Alberel
Originally posted by Cod_Eye

Retailers were asked to destroy remaining FFXIV products and that they would be re-imbursed. I would say no its not worth buying, as the account registration page is closed, so you would not be able to register that product and when the registration page is re-instated the code would no longer be valid as the FFXIV product registration would be removed and that ARR would replace that product.

The way I see it is that the retailer that is selling those are ripping you off as when you open and attempt to register you will not be able to get your money back, as most retailers expect the item in original packaging to qualify.  Added to the fact they already get the money back for those products from their supplier.

I was under the impression old codes from 1.0 would still be valid for ARR, the registration page is just currently offline. I know a lot of people still have unregistered codes bought before retailers were instructed to cease sales... Given that already registered 1.0 codes will be upgraded to ARR when it relaunches I see no reason why the system won't recognise the registration of other old codes.

Having said that I also see no point in buying an old copy now... just wait for the open beta and buy the new version when it launches.

people buying the old copy now is hoping that they can get into the new ARR for 10-15$ and not have to buy the official release ARR copy for 40-60$

  Keitaro333

Advanced Member

Joined: 8/04/08
Posts: 36

3/07/13 5:51:25 AM#9
It has been confirmed that owners of the old FFXIV wont have to buy ARR (ie. the old serial will work with ARR) so yes, it makes sense buying the old version if you can find a store that hasnt destroyed the old copies.
  Ralstlin

Novice Member

Joined: 1/09/10
Posts: 243

3/07/13 11:18:11 AM#10
we dont know if when FFXIV: ARR launchs, if old game Keys will can be registered.. Wait till Beta Phase 4 that is Open Beta and test it yourself.
  nbtscan

Hard Core Member

Joined: 10/06/06
Posts: 507

3/07/13 11:25:24 AM#11
Originally posted by Ralstlin
we dont know if when FFXIV: ARR launchs, if old game Keys will can be registered.. Wait till Beta Phase 4 that is Open Beta and test it yourself.

Unused buddy pass codes from the Collector's Edition have been confirmed by a community rep to work.  That's why people are speculating that unused primary install codes will work as well since both give access to the full version of the game.

  redcloud16

Novice Member

Joined: 1/08/11
Posts: 223

There is no chance unless you take one.

3/27/13 6:50:06 AM#12
Originally posted by Keitaro333
It has been confirmed that owners of the old FFXIV wont have to buy ARR (ie. the old serial will work with ARR) so yes, it makes sense buying the old version if you can find a store that hasnt destroyed the old copies.

You would have had to have registered an account at some point before the servers shut down to qaulify for this benefit, I believe. 

 

Old copies would have been destroyed and their codes likewise discarded. Anyone with a XIV service account will get automatic access to Phase 3 of the BetaI believe, as well as a free download of ARR. Also their1.0 characters will be carried over. 

 

Buying an old copy this late sounds like a scam. 

 

EDIT: Buddy passes and beta passes (from CE and FFXIII) will still work, however. 

  Alberel

Novice Member

Joined: 12/02/09
Posts: 1121

3/27/13 7:30:40 AM#13
Originally posted by redcloud16
Originally posted by Keitaro333
It has been confirmed that owners of the old FFXIV wont have to buy ARR (ie. the old serial will work with ARR) so yes, it makes sense buying the old version if you can find a store that hasnt destroyed the old copies.

You would have had to have registered an account at some point before the servers shut down to qaulify for this benefit, I believe. 

 

Old copies would have been destroyed and their codes likewise discarded. Anyone with a XIV service account will get automatic access to Phase 3 of the BetaI believe, as well as a free download of ARR. Also their1.0 characters will be carried over. 

 

Buying an old copy this late sounds like a scam. 

 

EDIT: Buddy passes and beta passes (from CE and FFXIII) will still work, however. 

I'm not sure if they legally can deactivate those old codes... a lot of people (myself included) bought XIV but never registered it because of the terrible beta and subsequent uproar at launch. We bought the game when those codes were valid and there hasn't been an express announcement to 'register now or your code becomes invalid'. If they invalidated those old codes that people legitamately bought before ARR was conceived of then they would essentially be cheating those people out of their money...

  Keitaro333

Advanced Member

Joined: 8/04/08
Posts: 36

3/27/13 8:17:14 AM#14

I'd bet anything that unused codes will work. No reason why not and SE have been fair so far.

Obviously not every small retailer in every country knew that they were supposed to destroy their copies and get their money back but its only their loss. SE already got the money when they sold them to the retailer. Youre not robbing SE in any way.

  birdycephon

Novice Member

Joined: 8/08/09
Posts: 1327

Not Safe For Woona (NSFW)

3/27/13 8:59:58 AM#15
I would say, contact the SE billing department and tell them you have an old key and ask if it will work.
  nbtscan

Hard Core Member

Joined: 10/06/06
Posts: 507

3/27/13 3:42:10 PM#16
Beta codes have to be applied to your Square-Enix account, so I assume registration for other codes are available at this time as well.  I've seen people popping up in the Lodestone forums with a registered date of this month or last when you previously couldn't register to the forums.
  Maephisto

Novice Member

Joined: 2/15/12
Posts: 653

3/27/13 3:52:23 PM#17

I have a question for you all, first a little back story though.

Some time ago temperhoof posted a lengthy explaination of FFXI pve and character progression.  He described the endless amount of pve progression one had to go through in order to get the best gear.  He also stated the end game content was gated because you had to already have experience in the corresponding raids in order to be accepted into the group in the first place.  Basically, if you needed to gear up a new player, you had to already be networked into a group that could help you.  If you lacked this, you were kind of screwed.

Will FFXIV be similar in this regard.  Will I have to wade through multiple tiers of pve content/raids in order to be viable in PvP?  I really want to try FFXIV, but I cannot handle all that pve (nor do I have the time).

  redcloud16

Novice Member

Joined: 1/08/11
Posts: 223

There is no chance unless you take one.

3/27/13 5:53:02 PM#18

Originally posted by Alberel

I'm not sure if they legally can deactivate those old codes... a lot of people (myself included) bought XIV but never registered it because of the terrible beta and subsequent uproar at launch. We bought the game when those codes were valid and there hasn't been an express announcement to 'register now or your code becomes invalid'. If they invalidated those old codes that people legitamately bought before ARR was conceived of then they would essentially be cheating those people out of their money...

Originally posted by Maephisto

I have a question for you all, first a little back story though.

Some time ago temperhoof posted a lengthy explaination of FFXI pve and character progression.  He described the endless amount of pve progression one had to go through in order to get the best gear.  He also stated the end game content was gated because you had to already have experience in the corresponding raids in order to be accepted into the group in the first place.  Basically, if you needed to gear up a new player, you had to already be networked into a group that could help you.  If you lacked this, you were kind of screwed.

Will FFXIV be similar in this regard.  Will I have to wade through multiple tiers of pve content/raids in order to be viable in PvP?  I really want to try FFXIV, but I cannot handle all that pve (nor do I have the time).

@Alberel.

If you were in the beta, wouldn't you have applied a code to your Squre Enix account? I believe you would still count for that. 

But I am sure there was a cut-off date shortly before or around the server shut-down of 1.0 HOWEVER, as someone above me posted, SE has been extremely generous with the FFXIV fiasco, so perhaps you cna use old-codes. But you would have to contact Customer Support, as I believe that part of the Account Registration is frozen until ARR. I could be wrong (and SE is notorious for over-complicated account registration LOL )

 

@Maephisto.

ARR will be a different beast. I cannot say anything about end game right, how it will be gated or anything like that but perhaps I can give a perspective in other places. 

Yoshida has said that he wants the game to be easy at first, to accomadate players who have never played MMOs before. As such , partying will not be required right away. Then there are goup oriented thigns like FATE and DUngeons, which the Duty FInder wll help ease new players into grouping mechanics and party play. However, as the game goes on and you get closer to end-game, conent will grow harder and the Duty Finder will not be the ideal way to find groups for these sorts of challenges. You will need your friends you've made during the game, your Linkshells, and your Free Companies (guilds). Still canot say how the content will be gated, however. 

This game, though, is not FFXI. It is made to be more accessible and easy to pick up (but still be challenging at the end for more eexperienced and end-game focused players)

As for PvP, from what I've seen from the LIVE Letters, you can apparently begin levelling up from PvP at around level 30. There will be a Coliseum as wll as Frontlines (but we don't know what those are yet.) He also did say that PvP would have it's own gear, and it's own set of abilities, so that it interfered as little as possible with the PvE game. 

We are still very scarce on PvP information, though. :/

  Alberel

Novice Member

Joined: 12/02/09
Posts: 1121

3/27/13 6:38:48 PM#19
Originally posted by Maephisto

I have a question for you all, first a little back story though.

Some time ago temperhoof posted a lengthy explaination of FFXI pve and character progression.  He described the endless amount of pve progression one had to go through in order to get the best gear.  He also stated the end game content was gated because you had to already have experience in the corresponding raids in order to be accepted into the group in the first place.  Basically, if you needed to gear up a new player, you had to already be networked into a group that could help you.  If you lacked this, you were kind of screwed.

Will FFXIV be similar in this regard.  Will I have to wade through multiple tiers of pve content/raids in order to be viable in PvP?  I really want to try FFXIV, but I cannot handle all that pve (nor do I have the time).

Just to be clear, if you weren't networked with a group of players in FFXI you wouldn't even get to endgame... It was a highly social MMO and required group play for pretty much everything of consequence (including levelling). Usually by the time you got there you already had the connections to help you get involved with the endgame content.

What you just described there is no different to WoW pre-raidfinder though. We have very little information on endgame PvE or PvP content at this time. All we know is that there are going to be two major endgame PvE areas (the crystal tower and bahamut's labyrinth) which will be progressive dungeons that are added to over time as the story develops. We know there are a couple of different PvP systems but very little beyond that...

  Maephisto

Novice Member

Joined: 2/15/12
Posts: 653

3/27/13 8:48:24 PM#20
Originally posted by Alberel
Originally posted by Maephisto

I have a question for you all, first a little back story though.

Some time ago temperhoof posted a lengthy explaination of FFXI pve and character progression.  He described the endless amount of pve progression one had to go through in order to get the best gear.  He also stated the end game content was gated because you had to already have experience in the corresponding raids in order to be accepted into the group in the first place.  Basically, if you needed to gear up a new player, you had to already be networked into a group that could help you.  If you lacked this, you were kind of screwed.

Will FFXIV be similar in this regard.  Will I have to wade through multiple tiers of pve content/raids in order to be viable in PvP?  I really want to try FFXIV, but I cannot handle all that pve (nor do I have the time).

Just to be clear, if you weren't networked with a group of players in FFXI you wouldn't even get to endgame... It was a highly social MMO and required group play for pretty much everything of consequence (including levelling). Usually by the time you got there you already had the connections to help you get involved with the endgame content.

What you just described there is no different to WoW pre-raidfinder though. We have very little information on endgame PvE or PvP content at this time. All we know is that there are going to be two major endgame PvE areas (the crystal tower and bahamut's labyrinth) which will be progressive dungeons that are added to over time as the story develops. We know there are a couple of different PvP systems but very little beyond that...

Thanks for answering my question.  Lets hope they keep some of the "Highly sociable"  aspects, as I feel it adds to the enjoyment of the game as a whole. 

@ Redcloud16:  Finding out that FFXIV will be an entirely different beast from what Temperhoof described in FFXI is very good news (IMO).

Thx again fellas.

 

2 Pages 1 2 » Search