Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,902,245 Users Online:0
Games:753  Posts:6,275,916
Square Enix | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 08/27/13)  | Pub:Square Enix
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Retail | Retail Price:$29.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC PS3 Playstation 4 | Out of date info? Let us know!

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn Forum » General Discussion » FFXIV will be the game of 2013 my bet!

5 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 » Search
81 posts found
  Lumm

Apprentice Member

2/25/13 12:53:34 AM#61
Its going to be great because over the last 2 years it has been developed right along side the FFXIV community that had been playing it this whole time. I cant say enough good things about a dev who has been so vocal with the community to make this an awesome game. Only time will tell how successful it will be.
  bobm111

Apprentice Member

OP  2/25/13 1:11:19 AM#62

well i see this thread has taken off onto the f2p,b2p, and subscription based crowd. Each to his own i say.

However ffxiv will win hands down many people that play to explore craft and pve which at  this point in time is my cup of tea.

And the reason i will sub is because i want content and updates which will enhance the game And not dependant on cash shops or whatever these companies think is best way to make a buck.

OFC i am biased in that i played eve online vanguard and vanilla wow which all were sub based.

Atm playing the secret world while waiting for ffiv.. enjoying the story quite much^^.

I would even play vanilla wow again if blizzard created some servers was fun with 40 man raids to molten core and world pvp..

any way that is the short story

Dogblaster

Novice Member

2/25/13 8:51:05 AM#63
Their supposed higher mentality isn't working on the horrible FF games they continually release after 11. It is clear this company has lost the ability to make decent games. Now they are attempting to rework a game that was so garbage it literally needed years worth of work and they're attempting to cram it into 1.

Good luck to the optimists but if you let them waste your money twice on the same game you deserve to be swindled.

They rip you off once, shame on them. They rip you off twice, shame on you.

OH NO. really? :(((

^^ Forgot to mention. We DONT care what you think

JeroKane

Elite Member

2/25/13 2:05:44 PM#64
Originally posted by bugmeno
Originally posted by kartana

No.

Reason: Subscription Model

No.

Reason : has the worst combat system of any MMO to date.

Thought, FF14 was hated by those FF11 players? But serioursly... the combat is "meh" to say the least.

The combat system has been completely revamped. It's now the standard MMO combat system everyone's used to.

Kyleran

Bitter Vet™

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

2/25/13 2:07:08 PM#65
Originally posted by JeroKane

No.

No.

Thought, FF14 was hated by those FF11 players? But serioursly... the combat is "meh" to say the least.

The combat system has been completely revamped. It's now the standard MMO combat system everyone's used to.

For some reason, that doesn't sound all that appealing, think most folks would be hoping for a new, improved combat system that is better than what is currently out there.

Arrogant, Condescending, Dismissive, Elitist, "Meany", you speak as if these are bad things?
Kyleran - Bitter Vet ™ since 2006
"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Murugan

Advanced Member

2/25/13 2:22:11 PM#66
Originally posted by Kyleran

No.

No.

For some reason, that doesn't sound all that appealing, think most folks would be hoping for a new, improved combat system that is better than what is currently out there.

Then you will have to wait until, as Yoshida said, they add more complex systems into beta as it progresses.  Like more of the combo system, the limit break system, more status effects possibly.

All he said was that alpha did not have many of the more complex systems because they want new players to be able to focus on more simpler aspects.

They weren't goign to do revolutionary combat though, that much should have been clear from the beginning if they had risked that this game would likely not have been given a chance by the majority of players.  I'm sure it will lose some people who now only play "revolutionary MMO's" whatever those are, but they wanted to show they were willing to cater to current MMO standards with this rerelease.

http://xivpads.com/?1595680
http://guildwork.com/users/murugan

radesk

Novice Member

2/26/13 5:59:08 AM#67
It will probably an "OK" game, goty? Only if NW and TESO really mess it up. I don't remember any FF released being great after Squaresoft became Square-Enix. Btw, they should re-do Front Mission, "FM evolved" wtf? I hope that FF:ARR do not evolve as Front Mission.
  Raveice

Novice Member

2/26/13 7:46:29 AM#68

Ohh! ihope so to!

but im sure it will but its gona be good competition,  Many good games expect get out this year.

BadSpock

Hard Core Member

Logic be damned!

2/26/13 7:50:45 AM#69
Originally posted by Murugan
Originally posted by Kyleran

No.

No.

Then you will have to wait until, as Yoshida said, they add more complex systems into beta as it progresses.  Like more of the combo system, the limit break system, more status effects possibly.

All he said was that alpha did not have many of the more complex systems because they want new players to be able to focus on more simpler aspects.

They weren't goign to do revolutionary combat though, that much should have been clear from the beginning if they had risked that this game would likely not have been given a chance by the majority of players.  I'm sure it will lose some people who now only play "revolutionary MMO's" whatever those are, but they wanted to show they were willing to cater to current MMO standards with this rerelease.

After spending a great deal of time playing games like GW2 and TERA, I greatly prefer a more turn based/tactical "traditional" MMO combat scheme fully utilizing the Trinity.

Now Playing: Destiny, WoW

Kaneth

Elite Member

2/26/13 7:57:58 AM#70

Despite my frustrations with some of the decisions surrounding ARR, I do hope it has success. If SE can have massive success after revamping completely, perhaps other developers wouldn't be afraid to overhaul some of their own games. It would be a Cinderella story if it turned out to be the best release of the year. There is some decent competition though.

I have to say though, the benchmark video (which my comp handled like a champ for a mid-range), made me all giddy with the giant meteor spell at the end.

I do miss the old school ff games from my youth (SNES ftw!).

BadSpock

Hard Core Member

Logic be damned!

2/26/13 7:59:56 AM#71

As for GOTY - impossible due to launch of PS4/Xbox Next as some title from either of those new platforms will win GOTY.

If you are talking about MMO GOTY, than yeah I'd say FFXIV has a realistic shot.

Wildstar might be a sleeper hit, but will launch w/o very much fanfaire and hoopla.

TESO will be the year's big release, but will flop like ever major AAA title since WoW as TESO will not cure cancer, create world peace, and bring about the next great Renaissance.

ArcheAge wil be a major flop in the West, if it even releases in 2013.

Neverwinter will have one of the fastest turn arounds in MMO history and make 0.00$ off of 99% of it's players, who probably stay for 2-3 weeks before raging on MMORPG.com.

But if FFXIV RR relaunches well, picks up some good reviews and media coverage, it's got the name (FF IP), the "unique" and sexy story of the pheonix revival, and bring just enough magic Yoshi-P sauce to retain lots of players after a month - yeah, it could be a MMO GOTY contender for sure.

Now Playing: Destiny, WoW

sanshi44

Advanced Member

2/26/13 8:05:59 AM#72
Everquest Next is another one to keep an eye on, they already scraped two previous builds so there definetly trying to make this one right, make or break situation it seems.
  SlickShoes

Novice Member

2/26/13 8:22:34 AM#73

I don't know what people see in this Final Fantasy game, it just looks like another MMO in a sea of mediocre MMOs.

Can anyone sell me on it? what does it do different apart from being text heavy and made in Japan.

Sasami

Novice Member

2/26/13 8:26:32 AM#74
Originally posted by BadSpock

But if FFXIV RR relaunches well, picks up some good reviews and media coverage, it's got the name (FF IP), the "unique" and sexy story of the pheonix revival, and bring just enough magic Yoshi-P sauce to retain lots of players after a month - yeah, it could be a MMO GOTY contender for sure.

FF brand hasn't been gold for many years in West. In fact FFXIV flopping first time won't get much hope up in buyers. If they go mess with combat system without actually bringing it closer to norm MMO they will not only fail to impress new players but end up alienating those who liked FFXI, worst case scenario. Square has burned so much cash on this project it has to hit huge which I think it's impossible for eastern MMO, whole industry is having trouble keeping up with western companies.

If FFXIV stays as P2P for year it's a huge success, but I highly doubt this. Talks about GOTY is just delusional, same hopes that original FFXIV had.

Hyanmen

Elite Member

2/26/13 9:59:48 AM#75
The story is shaping up to be an amazing ride, with cutscenes rivaling the best of the best in world of JRPG's.

Aided by both art style and graphics that are sure to satisfy an FF fan, soundtrack that won't lose to a single player FF, unique and memorable characters accompanying you in the story, and a huge world to explore that FF fans have been looking for for years - ARR simply won't lose to it's single player iterations and as such is a worthwhile experience for every FF fan out there.

MMO gamers on the other hand will stay pitiful as always. My sympathies.

FF:ARR FATE grinding: People not having fun by doing something not actually intended to get to a point that doesn't really matter as fast as possible. Just so they can do the same thing over and over again to gain a piece of virtual loot.

nbtscan

Advanced Member

2/26/13 2:56:51 PM#76
Originally posted by SlickShoes

I don't know what people see in this Final Fantasy game, it just looks like another MMO in a sea of mediocre MMOs.

Can anyone sell me on it? what does it do different apart from being text heavy and made in Japan.

It'll appeal to people that have been fans of the FF franchise over the years.  It'll include many throwback references to the older games in the series while incorporating systems from other MMOs that have proven to be successful, albeit they'll have SE's own spin on them.

This game will also simultaneously launch on the PS3, which gives people who are primarily console gamers a chance to break into the MMO mold.

I just want to say that this game will not be a "WoW killer".  It was never designed to be.  It's going to appeal to Final Fantasy fans first and foremost, with people who commonly play MMOs looking for something new to try to be its secondary audience.

Mishakai

Novice Member

2/26/13 3:00:06 PM#77

Well, I'd have to admit to being biased if I were to cast a vote for game of the year, or MMO of the year.  What can I say, I'm a big Final Fantasy fan.

It is nice that they will finally deliver what they should have delivered with the first launch of XIV.

Jockan

Hard Core Member

Playing Elder Scrolls Online and proving haters wrong one day at a time.

2/26/13 11:11:10 PM#78
I hope Final Fantasy delivers that old school mmo play because this new level up in a week crap is just not for me.

tearsinrain

Novice Member

2/28/13 5:44:26 AM#79
Originally posted by Murugan

I don't want a game that has to mass appeal to millions of "free" players in the hopes that enough of them will buy a "shiny hat of patheticness" in order to produce content I as a player am likely to be knickle and dimed for.

Subscription models do just fine at producing quality content.  Look at HBO.  In fact they do well because they are subscription based.  This frees them from having to cast a broad, cheap net, to lure in suckers.  People subscribe (or don't) because they like the game and the direction it is headed in.  There is not one single F2P or B2P game that is decent and going in a "good direction" (my opinion).

Spot on. I also find the community in pay-to-play games is so much tighter and more committed to the long-term success of a game.

tearsinrain

Novice Member

2/28/13 5:48:27 AM#80
Originally posted by Mannish
I hope Final Fantasy delivers that old school mmo play because this new level up in a week crap is just not for me.

Ditto. I really long for the days of EQ1 in some ways. Everything felt really epic (it was) and granted, though we've come a long way and things are so much better, I miss it taking forever to level characters, as you got to see so much more of everything, explore, feel real danger.... ah the golden days of yore. Yes, there were plenty of problems too, but it was nice to enjoy the ride, I felt.

5 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 » Search