Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,736,512 Users Online:0
Games:713  Posts:6,174,663
Square Enix | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 08/27/13)  | Pub:Square Enix
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Retail | Retail Price:$29.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC PS3 Playstation 4 | Out of date info? Let us know!

2 Pages « 1 2 Search
22 posts found
  Alberel

Advanced Member

12/06/12 2:23:45 PM#21
Originally posted by blognorg

Originally posted by Alberel

Originally posted by alyosha17 Of course you can't swim.  S.E. only do the minimal effort.  They thought adding jump would be enough to bring FFXIV up to standard. Meanwhile, every other MMO out these days has jump, swimming, and climbing, etc. Black Desert is even going one step further.
Very few games, if any, actually utilise jumping or swimming in any way. GW2 is the first MMO I've seen to actually have platforming puzzles and I don't think any MMO has underwater combat that anyone actually likes. In most games it's just a gimmick. There's also the realism/immersion issue. To some extent jumping and swimming is unrealistic as in reality people don't jump over fences, they walk around them, and in reality people look for a bridge or crossing rather than swimming through a river. There are solid arguments both for and against these features so it's nothing to do with effort. Personally I don't mind it either way; though I liked having to actually behave in a natural way when moving about without the features.

I'm not sure I 100% agree with that immersion argument. In real life, we completely have the choice to jump in the water... we just don't want to. If it were immersive, then the game would let you, but it would have some kind of mechanic that would make you not want to. Say, if certain items in your inventory would get ruined, or there was a possibility of getting hypothermia if you did it in a cold place. That kind of thing. But simply not allowing you to, I don't that thinks adds immersion.

There are a lot of things we have the choice to do in real life that we can't do in games. While I would actually love a game to do something like that, I can guarantee a lot of people would then complain it was pointless because no one would ever do it. It's one of those cases where lack of resources and higher priorities would cause something like that to be never done in such depth. I love hyper-realism in games when it comes to environmental effects and basic survival but I know I'm very much in a minority with this kind of stuff...

blognorg

Spotlight Poster

OP  12/07/12 3:39:01 PM#22

Originally posted by blognorg  

Originally posted by alyosha17 Of course you can't swim.  S.E. only do the minimal effort.  They thought adding jump would be enough to bring FFXIV up to standard. Meanwhile, every other MMO out these days has jump, swimming, and climbing, etc. Black Desert is even going one step further.
Very few games, if any, actually utilise jumping or swimming in any way. GW2 is the first MMO I've seen to actually have platforming puzzles and I don't think any MMO has underwater combat that anyone actually likes. In most games it's just a gimmick. There's also the realism/immersion issue. To some extent jumping and swimming is unrealistic as in reality people don't jump over fences, they walk around them, and in reality people look for a bridge or crossing rather than swimming through a river. There are solid arguments both for and against these features so it's nothing to do with effort. Personally I don't mind it either way; though I liked having to actually behave in a natural way when moving about without the features.
    I'm not sure I 100% agree with that immersion argument. In real life, we completely have the choice to jump in the water... we just don't want to. If it were immersive, then the game would let you, but it would have some kind of mechanic that would make you not want to. Say, if certain items in your inventory would get ruined, or there was a possibility of getting hypothermia if you did it in a cold place. That kind of thing. But simply not allowing you to, I don't that thinks adds immersion.
There are a lot of things we have the choice to do in real life that we can't do in games. While I would actually love a game to do something like that, I can guarantee a lot of people would then complain it was pointless because no one would ever do it. It's one of those cases where lack of resources and higher priorities would cause something like that to be never done in such depth. I love hyper-realism in games when it comes to environmental effects and basic survival but I know I'm very much in a minority with this kind of stuff...

Oh, definitely. For a triple-A studio to do something like that, it would be suicide. Those would be some pretty hardcore sandbox features. I agree, though, stuff like that would be fun.

2 Pages « 1 2 Search