Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,905,788 Users Online:0
Games:757  Posts:6,296,454
Square Enix | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 08/27/13)  | Pub:Square Enix
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Retail | Retail Price:$29.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC PS3 Playstation 4 | Out of date info? Let us know!

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn Forum » General Discussion » FFXIV ARR, another WoW clone

8 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Last Search
147 posts found
  ThomasN7

Novice Member

"Had to be me. Someone else might have gotten it wrong.” - Mordin Solus

11/08/12 8:29:55 AM#41
Excited for 2.0. I'll be playing when it relaunches clone or no clone.
  Magiknight

Novice Member

OP  11/08/12 11:59:28 PM#42
I will be playing it also. I'm jus so fucking bored with WoW. If I wanted to play it then I would play it. Everytime I buy a new title I feel like I am tricked into buying WoW a second time.  I'm still trying to sell TSW to get my money back. I've even started learning Objective C, since I have a mac, so that maybe oneday I can make another game that I will enjoy playing. If everyone stopped buying video games and the market crashed I would be very happy. Video games for the majority are so mediocre.
  wrongfeifong

Apprentice Member

"I think, therefore i am"

11/12/12 7:24:28 PM#43

Not a wow clone.

Wow is also a clone of everquest.

Everyquest is a clone of UO

UO is a clone of a board game.

Clone is evoluation.

what wow don't have FFXIv have?

Graphic, amazing FF feel CG and a SUPERB STORY!!

FFXIV got nstant class changes, armor craft that is useful (unless wow you pick up junks), a lot group moments require, job advance change story line, teleportation....and one big ass connected area.

none

User Deleted
11/12/12 7:26:02 PM#44
Originally posted by Magiknight

According to an interview with Naoki Yoshida, the director and producer of FFXIV ARR, the new game will be a WoW clone.  

You lost me right there ....  That's not what he said.  

Whitebeards

Hard Core Member

11/12/12 7:27:41 PM#45

According to an interview with Naoki Yoshida, the director and producer of FFXIV ARR, the new game will be a WoW clone.  When the original FFXIV was being released a couple years ago the director of that game said that they were using WoW as their model of success.  This is amazing.

BM: Final Fantasy XI just had its ten year anniversary and it got a new expansion coming up. You talked about educating the development team at what the standard is at a west MMOs, so with an eye of Final Fantasy XI that is hugely successful, what did they get right what Final Fantasy XIV wasn’t doing?

Yoshida: One of the reasons why Final Fantasy XI was so successful was that the whole development team went and played Everquest and they thought “Okay, we want to do exactly what they did with Final Fantasy XI!” You know there were times where you couldn’t contact any of them because of how much they played *laughs*, but because they did that they had a direction. One of the problems with Final Fantasy XIV was that there wasn’t that direction, they didn’t know what the standard was and they never played World of Warcraft, they didn’t know enough and because they didn’t know enough they couldn’t build something up to the standards of current MMOs. Plus when they started creating Final Fantasy XI there was Final Fantasy X that strongly influenced them.

With Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn we don’t want to create many new things, we first want to start of getting this global standard and then adding that Final Fantasy feel. We want to get the crystal tower in and the gold soucer to get that epic Final Fantasy feeling.

http://jpgames.de/2012/08/gamescom-2012-our-interview-with-naoki-yoshida/

Fuck this.....

Yeah because first attempt was so damn successful right? what possible reason they could have to rework on entire game from scratch?

Damn if you do and damn if you don't.

Ralstlin

Novice Member

11/12/12 7:46:34 PM#46
Originally posted by Whitebeards
Yeah because first attempt was so damn successful right? what possible reason they could have to rework on entire game from scratch?

Damn if u do? i think u are wrong on that. FFXIV: ARR have a new Producer and Director and a lot more people than previus fail working on this title... is like u say that FFXII had no future because FFX-2 was so bad. FFXIV: ARR Is completely a new game with the same lore, and lore was not bad in 1.0.

Whitebeards

Hard Core Member

11/12/12 7:53:26 PM#47
Originally posted by Ralstlin

Damn if u do? i think u are wrong on that. FFXIV: ARR have a new Producer and Director and a lot more people than previus fail working on this title... is like u say that FFXII had no future because FFX-2 was so bad. FFXIV: ARR Is completely a new game with the same lore, and lore was not bad in 1.0.

Sorry bro but you completely missed the point i was trying to make.

sumdumguy1

Hard Core Member

11/12/12 7:54:10 PM#48

I am watching this very carefully.  If it is a WOW clone, is this necessarily a bad thing?  I imagine to some yes and to some no.  We attach a specific opinion to the context of a wow clone and speculate as to what we think it means.  PersonallY I feel its important to at least wait, play the game and then form our opinions.  I am cautiously optimistic after seeing the recent cinematic. 

drivendawn

Hard Core Member

11/12/12 7:55:24 PM#49
Originally posted by Ralstlin

I think you're missing his point. He's saying the first time, they were trying to be more unique and it failed. Now that they're trying to be truer to the mmo standard, they're getting a bunch of complaints about them not being original enough. That's why he was saying damned if you do, damned if you don't. I would have to agree with this sentiment.

Arcondo87

Novice Member

11/12/12 8:14:37 PM#50

People keep forgetting that WoW IS a Everyquest clone...or atleast they got alot of there ideas from it. Wish i had that video where they interview the WoW devs and they all admit to be hardcore everquest players and that they were inspired by it and took alot of what they enjoyed out of the game and put it in WoW.... But then Everquest fed off the success of Neverwinter nights...wich was BEFORE everquest...so in a way everquest copied Neverwinter Nights

FOUND THE DOCUMENTORY!!! HERE IT IS!! WATCH AND LEARN!|

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtqG1u2hqUY&feature=relmfu

and the piece about the wow devs is in here fast forward to 3:20ish they openly admit wow woudnt exzist if everquest didnt inspire them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=022CU1p7Jbk&feature=relmfu

BruceYee

Apprentice Member

11/12/12 8:25:29 PM#51
If the game is fun to play I don't give a turd if it's a clone.

"If you can control a man's thinking, you do not have to worry about his actions. When you determine what a man shall think you do not have to concern yourself about what he will do."-Winston Churchill

EternalSage2000

Hard Core Member

11/12/12 8:31:38 PM#52

This game is beautiful,  The Final Fantasy World and Lore is beautiful.  I bought the collectors edition XIV and ,tried my hardest to like the game.  I played WoW for a very long time,  loved the lore up til Wrath, the controls were tight, and the game was fluid.  If they have sucessfully made a new FF MMO, with the simplicity of controls and ui customization that WoW has.  I will be extremely pleased.

However,  FFXIV has burned me before,  while I want to love ARR, I am skeptical.  Please Square,  I want to love you again. 

Snowdon_Cloudripper

Novice Member

I was a 5 star elite member but my awesomeness was showing and the Mods cant have that

11/12/12 9:26:21 PM#53
Final fantasy cloning itself since 1987. who's cloning who? control and UI ? with that small thinking then Battle field cloned Call of Duity who cloned Socom right? clone please . Nothing in FF will ever be from WoW or anyother game for that matter. Debate Ova!

http://absoluteretribution.enjin.com/ Guild Website and Recruitment link

Magiknight

Novice Member

OP  11/12/12 10:50:44 PM#54
Originally posted by Arcondo87

People keep forgetting that WoW IS a Everyquest clone...or atleast they got alot of there ideas from it. Wish i had that video where they interview the WoW devs and they all admit to be hardcore everquest players and that they were inspired by it and took alot of what they enjoyed out of the game and put it in WoW.... But then Everquest fed off the success of Neverwinter nights...wich was BEFORE everquest...so in a way everquest copied Neverwinter Nights

FOUND THE DOCUMENTORY!!! HERE IT IS!! WATCH AND LEARN!|

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtqG1u2hqUY&feature=relmfu

and the piece about the wow devs is in here fast forward to 3:20ish they openly admit wow woudnt exzist if everquest didnt inspire them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=022CU1p7Jbk&feature=relmfu

WoW is not an Everquest clone. How do two games being similar, of the same genre, become a clone? This is so ridiculous I feel retarded wasting my time on it.  The videos you posted describe how the WoW developers had fun with EQ. The FFXIV development team is stating that they are making FFXIV with minimal differences from WoW.

WoW was so different than EQ. EQ virtually required grouping, had harsh death penalties, did not lead you around by the nose with a marked minimap, had few instances, and was HARD. WoW is dumb. DUMB. You solo clear to max level, move from map marker to map marker, spend SO much time in instances, hardly a death penalty, and is easy.  How is one the clone of another? Just because there are eleves and dwarves and magic does not mean it's a clone.

Where do you guys come up with this stuff. I have to stop coming to these message boards it has to be bad for me. Just because some games come after others does NOT mean that the ones that come after it are clones of the earlier games. Everquest is a UO clone.........yeah right. And TERA is an Anarchy Online Clone.  OK

And to the people saying that FFXIV 1.0 was trying to be original.................in what respect was it trying to be original?

Laughing-man

Advanced Member

I thought what I'd do is I'd pretend I was one of those Deaf-mutes.

11/12/12 11:03:44 PM#55

I remember reading an article in a magazine years ago when wow was first announced that the developers were inspired by the fact that they loved EQ, but they were tired of waiting so long for content updates, and they thought the grind turned away a lot of potential players.

The same article announced the rested experience points system. 

I groaned, said oh no they are just catering to the casual gamers, this wont' be good for the mmo community.

Here we are years later.

Point of this story is yes, wow WAS directly inspired by EQ, to the point which you could call it an EQ clone at its core and at its launch it was hyped as the evolution of EQ.

I don't know why you are still talking about how this is a WoW clone after everything you've seen.  Is it the exclaimation points above an NPC's head that makes you think "wow clone"?   You never justify your statement except with what you think is damning evidence of Yoshi saying they were inspired by WoW.   

FFXI was inspired by EQ.  We see how different it turned out from WoW.  

Two games, WoW and FFXI.  The same game inspires both, yet they are extremely different.  This is just one example of why you are crying wolf.

Ghavrigg

Advanced Member

11/12/12 11:09:59 PM#56

With the original FFXIV, they tried to change everything they could from the current themepark model, and they failed miserably. When the new game director stepped in and did a lot of surveys about what people wanted in the game, it turned out that the majority of people who took the surveys WANTED more WoW-like features to be added, or to replace the current systems in place.

FFXIV ARR is going to be the sum of those surveys and player feedback with some much improved graphics, animations, combat, and, hopefully, story, as well.

It's what the players wanted, and it's what the players are getting.

Aconsar

Novice Member

11/12/12 11:15:25 PM#57

The ONLY WoW-esque features I would be happy to see is a more fluid control/combat scheme, with jumping (confirmed!) and NOT menu-based activation.  Yes, Final Fantasy is known for menus, and it works great for offline single player games.  But for an MMO, it's annoying.  I love(d) FFXI, but you simply had to macro every ability/command to be effeceint.

Magiknight

Novice Member

OP  11/12/12 11:16:26 PM#58
Originally posted by Laughing-man

I remember reading an article in a magazine years ago when wow was first announced that the developers were inspired by the fact that they loved EQ, but they were tired of waiting so long for content updates, and they thought the grind turned away a lot of potential players.

The same article announced the rested experience points system. 

I groaned, said oh no they are just catering to the casual gamers, this wont' be good for the mmo community.

Here we are years later.

Point of this story is yes, wow WAS directly inspired by EQ, to the point which you could call it an EQ clone at its core and at its launch it was hyped as the evolution of EQ.

I don't know why you are still talking about how this is a WoW clone after everything you've seen.  Is it the exclaimation points above an NPC's head that makes you think "wow clone"?   You never justify your statement except with what you think is damning evidence of Yoshi saying they were inspired by WoW.   

FFXI was inspired by EQ.  We see how different it turned out from WoW.  

Two games, WoW and FFXI.  The same game inspires both, yet they are extremely different.  This is just one example of why you are crying wolf.

When you say that both FFXI and WoW were inspired by Everquest you are capturing my point nicely. Neither WoW or FFXI were Everquest clones.  Both games were influnced by Everquest but were not clones of Everquest.  Most games since WoW have been clones.

How can you call WoW an Everquest clone? Can anyone actually explain that?

The exclamation points above NPC heads is just indicative of something greater. The worlds are not worlds anymore. There is nothing to figure out, no actual reason to group (plenty of motives, ie treasure) or form communities, etc. Also, these themes have ran throughout every MMO since WoW. Before WoW things were much more heterogenous. I really don't want to turn this into a "what's wrong with the current state of MMOs thread." There are already lots of those and I have posted in those. The point is that FFXIV ARR is not going to be any different. Yoshi has stated that.

Multiple games could claim to be influenced by Everquest and be totally different. Now every game, whether it says it is a "Wow killer" or "has been influenced by WoW," is almost a clone of WoW.

Magiknight

Novice Member

OP  11/12/12 11:17:35 PM#59
Originally posted by Aviggin

With the original FFXIV, they tried to change everything they could from the current themepark model, and they failed miserably. When the new game director stepped in and did a lot of surveys about what people wanted in the game, it turned out that the majority of people who took the surveys WANTED more WoW-like features to be added, or to replace the current systems in place.

FFXIV ARR is going to be the sum of those surveys and player feedback with some much improved graphics, animations, combat, and, hopefully, story, as well.

Are you serious? The person who directed FFXIV 1.0 said he was using WoW as his model os success.  I have mentioned, like 5 other times, how similar FFXIV 1.0 is to WoW.  Can you name some differences?  Expain yourself a little?

Where does it say that FFXIV was trying to be entirely original? Not a single person complained about FFXIV 1.0 graphics or animations. Guess what the current director is always talking about concerning ARR?  Graphics and animations.........

I read stuff like this, and I want to crawl in a hole and die. Aviggin, just because a game fails does not mean that it was trying to be original.....

User Deleted
11/12/12 11:29:08 PM#60
Originally posted by Aviggin

Are you serious? The person who directed FFXIV 1.0 said he was using WoW as his model os success.  I have mentioned, like 5 other times, how similar FFXIV 1.0 is to WoW.  Can you name some differences?  Expain yourself a little?

Where does it say that FFXIV was trying to be entirely original?

They got seriously distracted if they ever said they were following the WoW model.

They opted for a EQ style Bazaar instead of a traditional auction house

It's quests were largely based on the somewhat random leve system and behests

I don't believe dungeons were instanced until later when the new guy took charge

Combat revlolved around buliding TP or a non-recharging mana pool

The UI was in no way similar to what most games go with these days.

The class system was more freeform.

They were using some dated ideas you could trace back to a few oldie games, but certainly not WoW's.

8 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Last Search