Trending Games | Wizard101 | Elder Scrolls Online | World of Warcraft | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn

  Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,899,311 Users Online:0
Games:751  Posts:6,267,883
Avatar Creations | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 11/25/10)  | Pub:Avatar Creations
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:$09.95
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Perpetuum Online Forum » General Discussion » How is this game?

2 Pages 1 2 » Search
23 posts found
  Panther2103

Hard Core Member

Joined: 1/09/08
Posts: 2084

 
OP  6/02/12 4:11:52 PM#1

I was intirested in playing this for a while, I was debating on playing Eve as well, but this looked more intiresting to me. I just had a couple of questions, how is the PVE content in the game? I know pvp is decent at least, I've read quite a bit about that, but have heard almost nothing about PVE. Also how is the population? Is it raising at all? I remember when it first came out a bunch of people tried it then it was down to about 200 on at a time. Which is still okay with me, theres no reason to not try something just because it has a low population.

  Norpan

Novice Member

Joined: 12/08/11
Posts: 349

6/02/12 4:17:46 PM#2
Originally posted by Panther2103

I was intirested in playing this for a while, I was debating on playing Eve as well, but this looked more intiresting to me. I just had a couple of questions, how is the PVE content in the game? I know pvp is decent at least, I've read quite a bit about that, but have heard almost nothing about PVE. Also how is the population? Is it raising at all? I remember when it first came out a bunch of people tried it then it was down to about 200 on at a time. Which is still okay with me, theres no reason to not try something just because it has a low population.

The population has gotten better after the latest patch. The general chat is buzzing more then anytime I´ve been playing the game. Probably alot of people checking it out now. There is enough stuff to do in PVE as well if your looking for that. I really think you should try the free trial and have a look for yourself. You got nothing to loose really...

  Panther2103

Hard Core Member

Joined: 1/09/08
Posts: 2084

 
OP  6/02/12 4:39:15 PM#3

Yeah that sounds like a good idea, is the free trial limiting at all? Or is it just 15 days free of the game.

  AdamTM

Novice Member

Joined: 5/05/05
Posts: 1395

I'M PUNCHING YOUR SALAD!!!!

6/02/12 4:51:29 PM#4
Originally posted by Panther2103

Yeah that sounds like a good idea, is the free trial limiting at all? Or is it just 15 days free of the game.

Afaik its not limiting since the game is like EVE with experience-points being allocated by the time you are subscribed, time in itself is the limitation then.

  Defect

Novice Member

Joined: 12/06/04
Posts: 252

6/02/12 4:54:14 PM#5

This is the worst game I've ever played, honestly. It's like an Alpha version of the 2nd worst game I've ever played. I paid the $5 for it or whatever it was when it first came out and uninstalled after a couple hours. One word to sum this game up: Dreadful.

  Citalkay

Novice Member

Joined: 4/21/12
Posts: 151

6/02/12 4:58:47 PM#6

I didn't like it, felt too clunky and just..Meh, not my type of game.

 

Don't see the point in playing Perpetuum when a superior game like EVE is out.

  Panther2103

Hard Core Member

Joined: 1/09/08
Posts: 2084

 
OP  6/02/12 5:16:32 PM#7
Originally posted by citalkay

I didn't like it, felt too clunky and just..Meh, not my type of game.

 

Don't see the point in playing Perpetuum when a superior game like EVE is out.

Well I heard the skill up in Perpetuum is a lot faster than it is in Eve, so you are pvp viable a lot quicker. But I am not sure. I just like the idea of piloting Mechs as opposed to flying Space ships around.

  Norpan

Novice Member

Joined: 12/08/11
Posts: 349

6/03/12 2:35:24 AM#8
Originally posted by Panther2103
Originally posted by citalkay

I didn't like it, felt too clunky and just..Meh, not my type of game.

 

Don't see the point in playing Perpetuum when a superior game like EVE is out.

Well I heard the skill up in Perpetuum is a lot faster than it is in Eve, so you are pvp viable a lot quicker. But I am not sure. I just like the idea of piloting Mechs as opposed to flying Space ships around.

You will be able to fit right in PVP vice in Perp within two months. Then you can make a difference on the battlefield. Also Perp has LOS in PVP, so you can use the terrain etc to your advantage in PVP which makes it more interesting in battles when you compare to EVE. Also, Perp has only been out for a year compared to EVE, and it´s a good time to jump onboard the game before it really picks up. While in EVE you will be 9 years behind some people. :P EVE ofc is the more polished game of the two, but I prefer Perp when it comes to PVP for the reasons I mentioned above. PVP in EVE is quite dull.

  MarkZima

Advanced Member

Joined: 7/15/10
Posts: 16

6/03/12 8:31:13 AM#9

Some screenshots of the yesterday's large scale battle made by DEV Mancs: 2012-06-02 / Danarchov outpost Intrusion event (guess he was bored and had nothing better to do...)

New terrain engine included with the last patch is awesome.

  Torzonborz

Novice Member

Joined: 4/17/06
Posts: 5

6/03/12 11:01:37 AM#10
Originally posted by Defect

This is the worst game I've ever played, honestly. It's like an Alpha version of the 2nd worst game I've ever played. I paid the $5 for it or whatever it was when it first came out and uninstalled after a couple hours. One word to sum this game up: Dreadful.

you did not play with many games then...   :D
this not a terrible game.
  AdamTM

Novice Member

Joined: 5/05/05
Posts: 1395

I'M PUNCHING YOUR SALAD!!!!

6/03/12 11:41:34 AM#11
Originally posted by etzel_desu

Some screenshots of the yesterday's large scale battle made by DEV Mancs: 2012-06-02 / Danarchov outpost Intrusion event (guess he was bored and had nothing better to do...)

New terrain engine included with the last patch is awesome.

This is one of the reasons i really dont like EVE nor Perp in the "large scale".

When fights devolve into red-squares vs green circles, its the most boring shit to watch/participate in.

  Norpan

Novice Member

Joined: 12/08/11
Posts: 349

6/03/12 1:33:11 PM#12
Originally posted by AdamTM
Originally posted by etzel_desu

Some screenshots of the yesterday's large scale battle made by DEV Mancs: 2012-06-02 / Danarchov outpost Intrusion event (guess he was bored and had nothing better to do...)

New terrain engine included with the last patch is awesome.

This is one of the reasons i really dont like EVE nor Perp in the "large scale".

When fights devolve into red-squares vs green circles, its the most boring shit to watch/participate in.

Most of those pictures are taken from a angel that people fighting don´t have. That is a DEV taking pictures from far away and above. That´s not how it look when you PVP yourself ingame. Some of those that are up and close are better but still don´t show how it looks from a perspective of a guy fighting ingame.

  kiltak

Novice Member

Joined: 4/10/04
Posts: 102

6/03/12 4:06:55 PM#13

I just tried this game out and it blows. They dump you in and recommend you go through tutorial but then they don't tell you where the tutorial is. Then when you get to tutorial is so badly design you're better off figuring out for you're self. I spent 20 min trying to figure out how to get to tutorial then spent another 20 min trying to figure out how to attack. There nothing to show what kind of damage you're taking. 

I think if they made a better tutorial it might be better.

  Norpan

Novice Member

Joined: 12/08/11
Posts: 349

6/04/12 12:02:40 AM#14
Originally posted by kiltak

I just tried this game out and it blows. They dump you in and recommend you go through tutorial but then they don't tell you where the tutorial is. Then when you get to tutorial is so badly design you're better off figuring out for you're self. I spent 20 min trying to figure out how to get to tutorial then spent another 20 min trying to figure out how to attack. There nothing to show what kind of damage you're taking. 

I think if they made a better tutorial it might be better.

 

Wow... Then you must be a quite inexperienced player. I had no problem at all getting the tutorial started, its starts at once when you log on the first time, or even less, how to figure out how to attack (press r to target a enemy and space to fire). Now that's really complex. Or maybe not. And you do know you have a healthbar that show your health etc right? Just have to click it to show under landmarks at the top right corner. Think its called "robot stats". Dunno how few MMOs you've played, but can't be that many if you can't figure the tutorial in this one out. Here is a nice video tutorial for you and everyone else that might need a helping hand. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&v=GN4YxijWWtM
  GeezerGamer

Elite Member

Joined: 4/03/12
Posts: 4879

6/04/12 12:50:39 AM#15
Originally posted by Torzonborz
Originally posted by Defect

This is the worst game I've ever played, honestly. It's like an Alpha version of the 2nd worst game I've ever played. I paid the $5 for it or whatever it was when it first came out and uninstalled after a couple hours. One word to sum this game up: Dreadful.

you did not play with many games then...   :D
this not a terrible game.

Did you really tell him he was wrong for not liking this game? 

It's the sad state of the genre. The next big title has as many threads discussing issues with it's business model than issues with the game itself.

  Norpan

Novice Member

Joined: 12/08/11
Posts: 349

6/04/12 11:02:20 AM#16
Originally posted by GeezerGamer
Originally posted by Torzonborz
Originally posted by Defect

This is the worst game I've ever played, honestly. It's like an Alpha version of the 2nd worst game I've ever played. I paid the $5 for it or whatever it was when it first came out and uninstalled after a couple hours. One word to sum this game up: Dreadful.

you did not play with many games then...   :D
this not a terrible game.

Did you really tell him he was wrong for not liking this game? 

 

He told him he cant have played many games if he thinks Perpetuum is the worst game he has played. I would guess its the 2 games he mentions... :P
  SomeDude102

Novice Member

Joined: 11/20/10
Posts: 4

6/07/12 4:22:06 AM#17

You should play this game. Out of all the sandboxes I've tried in the past (Mortal Online, Wurm, Salem, Xsyon, etc..) this one has by far the best Devs, most stable client and engaging gameplay. I did play EvE but I can say Perp > Eve, simply because the games are so similar.

To me Perp is like playing Eve but with a server reset. The game is still young so that any group can make a difference without having to bow down to the established overlords. Last patch has added a lot more area, where people can freely build their bases. If you join solo I do highly recommend finding a corp asap as it makes everything much more fun and easier to get into. STC are a good bunch who are very newbie friendly.

And it doesn't lag (yet anyway)...

  gortic

Novice Member

Joined: 11/08/03
Posts: 110

6/07/12 5:02:53 PM#18
Originally posted by SomeDude102

You should play this game. Out of all the sandboxes I've tried in the past (Mortal Online, Wurm, Salem, Xsyon, etc..) this one has by far the best Devs, most stable client and engaging gameplay. I did play EvE but I can say Perp > Eve, simply because the games are so similar.

To me Perp is like playing Eve but with a server reset. The game is still young so that any group can make a difference without having to bow down to the established overlords. Last patch has added a lot more area, where people can freely build their bases. If you join solo I do highly recommend finding a corp asap as it makes everything much more fun and easier to get into. STC are a good bunch who are very newbie friendly.

And it doesn't lag (yet anyway)...

Thanks for the post... Going to give this game another go, only have heard positive things, and its what I am looking for in a MMO. Not sure why I stopped playing before, started when it first came out. 

_________________________________________________

  freejackmack

Novice Member

Joined: 2/06/08
Posts: 379

6/09/12 11:50:27 AM#19

This game still has the best point and click combat of any mmo imo. It is fluid tactical combat and when I played we had a blast in fights. I may have to return now that the terraforming is in game.

  Exolis

Novice Member

Joined: 2/22/04
Posts: 3

6/10/12 11:54:03 AM#20

My take of PvE:

1. Missions: A bit repeative, but no different from EvE or any other daily quests. However you do get to choose from a pool of missions, so you do have something over EvE where it's just a random draw of missions. And they are all equal in terms of difficulty and time, unlike EvE where some missions take longer and payout more or some where pay less and take less time. I like doing missions because rewards are a nice plus from grinding robots. You also get tokens which can buy some neat stuff, with Gamma Islands you can buy structure kernals or just sell the tokens on market for a good amount.

 

2. Artifact Finding: This is particularlly nice if you like to explore. You basically find goodies by triangulation. Unlike eve where you shoot probes out and diddle around with probes for 20 mins to find a site. You can put Geoscanner with Artifact Probes on your combat ready bot, find a container or spawn and be able to kill any spawns and carry loot back. Stuff found with AF can be pretty nice, ranging from kernals, datacores, CTs, and T3- equipment along with many more random unique stuff.

 

3. Mining: Changed a lot, quite nice now. Using a direction scanner makes it easier to find a site, then use a tile scanner to see whats there and mine away. Because you can NOT get ganked in Alpha islands, this makes it easier to go afk and check every few minutes or mine however you like. I found mining in Alpha is more convient, not only because you can get ganked in Beta and Gamma, but a lot of beta and gamma islands are set up with walls all over the place, which makes traveling or even getting to a specific spot very hard or impossible.

 

4. Industry: This is actually very neat how it's done and feels like something you can progress with as a player instead of buying up tons of BPs. It's quite open to how it can be done, but the process goes along the lines of researching Kernals, building prototype unit and then making a CT out of it and then producing the product.

 

5. The Market and Population: The population is a bit small, but it is growing since Gamma. So there is still room without being overpowered or overwhelmed by longer playing vets. The market itself went a bit crazy with the patch, however now the prices are normalizing and since prices went up so high, this caused a lot of people to want to start producing, so there is quite a bit of inventory going up and already up on the market.

 

I've played EvE since 04, while I still love EvE. Perp doesn't have all the flaws that EvE has for people that want to sometimes chill and carebear it up. With Perp, you have the choice of being risky when you undock as you can clearly choose to pvp or not, and not have to worry about being decced or ganked.

2 Pages 1 2 » Search