Trending Games | Pirate101 | Guild Wars 2 | World of Warcraft | Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,900,040 Users Online:0
Games:751  Posts:6,268,987
Avatar Creations | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 11/25/10)  | Pub:Avatar Creations
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:$09.95
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Perpetuum Online Forum » General Discussion » Completely fogot about this game: Have some questions

8 posts found
  xpiher

Novice Member

OP  11/20/12 6:54:40 AM#1

I was actually intrested in this game when the beta was announced awhile ago and completely forgot about it. Shame on me I know. But I have some quesitons. I know this game is basically Mechwarrior meets EvE, but I have some reservations about EvE more than its lack of WASD controls that prevent me from signing up to somethign that I'll instantly be bored with.

1) Is combat more actively involved than EvE? The reason I dislike EvE's combat system is not because of a lack of WASD controls, but becuase the combat isn't very involved. Its very much spread sheet vs spreed sheet since most of the combat mechanics rely on clicks, and not even timed ones at that. Does positioning matter more in this game? Are there skills to interrupt player actions? 

2) How is their plex system? Is it viable, once established, to get a couple months of free play if you are dedicated? I'm not really worried about affording the sub to play this game. I'm just curious

3) How long, in real life time, does it take to get viable characters, sepficially combat focused. I wasn't very fond of EvE's real life time based progression since it allowed players who started early to have an edge forever. I know this was fixed well before EvE's ascent to critcal acclaime, but I still don't care for the mechanic. So are we talking a months or weeks of real life time?

Thank you in advance for answer questions

Games:
Currently playing:Nothing
Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
Past games:
Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
Xpiher's GW2
GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
Warhammer - Xpiher

ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

11/20/12 7:02:26 AM#2
1 yeah, a bit. There's wasd movement, terrain plays a factor, how you build your bases play a factor, there is the interference system which discourages the blob style play you sometimes get in eve.
2 wouldn't know
3 a bit quicker than eve, say a couple of months. A good thing is there are less long term vets around. Like eve you need to preplan your build.
  Muke

Elite Member

11/20/12 7:04:25 AM#3
Originally posted by xpiher

1) Is combat more actively involved than EvE? The reason I dislike EvE's combat system is not because of a lack of WASD controls, but becuase the combat isn't very involved. Its very much spread sheet vs spreed sheet since most of the combat mechanics rely on clicks, and not even timed ones at that. Does positioning matter more in this game? Are there skills to interrupt player actions? 

about EVE: I can see the only combat you have experienced is that of the PVE mission runner.

solo PVP or small gang pvp is a BIT different.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

xpiher

Novice Member

OP  11/20/12 7:11:31 AM#4
Originally posted by Muke

about EVE: I can see the only combat you have experienced is that of the PVE mission runner.

solo PVP or small gang pvp is a BIT different.

Its been a long time since I played EvE. All I remember was there wasn't much player skill invovled outside of building your ship well and knowledge of the game in general. I didn't feel like there was much player skill (reaction, timing, etc) invovled in EvE

Games:
Past games:
Xpiher's GW2
GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
Warhammer - Xpiher

User Deleted
11/20/12 9:28:18 PM#5

I was actually intrested in this game when the beta was announced awhile ago and completely forgot about it. Shame on me I know. But I have some quesitons. I know this game is basically Mechwarrior meets EvE, but I have some reservations about EvE more than its lack of WASD controls that prevent me from signing up to somethign that I'll instantly be bored with.

2) How is their plex system? Is it viable, once established, to get a couple months of free play if you are dedicated? I'm not really worried about affording the sub to play this game. I'm just curious

3) How long, in real life time, does it take to get viable characters, sepficially combat focused. I wasn't very fond of EvE's real life time based progression since it allowed players who started early to have an edge forever. I know this was fixed well before EvE's ascent to critcal acclaime, but I still don't care for the mechanic. So are we talking a months or weeks of real life time?

Thank you in advance for answer questions

Your first point is perpetuums biggest selling point compared to EVE.  Combat in perpetuum is much more complex and involved. You have the same general mechanics, involving weapon types, ewar, ect.  Difference is you have living ground cover as well as non living.  

For example, when you randomly encounter hostiles your first reaction would be to look for cover and determine terrain advantages ect.  Long range lasers for instance will need to make sure that a small ridge in the ground is behind the target rather than in front or they will hit the ground.  Plant life grows and dies.  This means that some plants will provide one volley of protection before dying while others might provide much better cover.

Theres also AOE damage when a bot explodes based on how tanky and large the bot is.  Get too close and you take lots of damamge.  This reduces blobbing.  There has been the case where a team of people fighting another team would be grouped too close, and a large mech would die causing a chain reaction of bots exploding wiping them.  Using terraforming it is possible to create situations where this is more likely to happen to an invading force.  Also there is slope to consider.  Bots have varying degrees of sloped ground they can transverse.  Large bipedal mechs wont be able to climb steeper terrain compared to say a small bot with wheels.  

The foundation of combat is like eve with a lot of similair and familair systems it just adds the layer of terrain and cover...as well as WASD movement.  Downfall is theres no viable autopilot for long trecks given the nature of the constantly changing plant life in game. Yes there are ECM jamming ewar that cause your target to drop their locks and have to relock, yes there are sensor surpressors that reduce lock range and time, yes there are energy neuterlizers to drain their accumulator or  "cap"

The plex system is viable early to a hardcore player who knows what they are doing.  I would suggest to anyone who is interested in this game and knows they will like the type of game this is to buy 3 months before expecting to go for free with ICE (PLEX) to keep subbed.  Advantage here is its only $10 for a sub and buying bulk time reduces monthly costs (as well as little things like amazon having a discount on all game time bought through them ect)  

A player who has 4-6 months of EP (which is the time based skill units) and knows where to do and what they are doing can make 100ish mil NIC (game money) in a few hours, either by combat or mining, or artifact scanning.  Right now ICE are selling for roughly that much.  Try to buy ICE early on when your in smaller bots that are less efficient and youll be struggling spending all your time trying to make money to just pay for the game.  It takes roughly 6 months to max out a specific role if EP is spent properly.  So about 6 months to catch what a vet can do, and vets can farm 100mil easy.

As per your last point.  One combat specific role is roughly 6 months for a combat role, a bit more for specific industry and mining. Vets have more options.  Best advice is to not spend EP early on in game, only spend the bare minimum to equip the bot and ask for help before spending.  A lot of new players waste EP trying to fit too much on small bots that were not designed for the stuff they put on it.  Its not EP wasted it just could be better spent early on.

xpiher

Novice Member

OP  11/21/12 10:23:49 AM#6
Thanks for the reply Crunchy. It seems like I messed up forgetting about this game because it sounds like a lot of fun. Oh well, I'm planning on playing DF:UW. If that fails (unlikely from what I seen thusfar) I'll give this game a chance :D

Games:
Past games:
Xpiher's GW2
GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
Warhammer - Xpiher

User Deleted
12/01/12 4:32:40 PM#7
Thanks for the reply Crunchy. It seems like I messed up forgetting about this game because it sounds like a lot of fun. Oh well, I'm planning on playing DF:UW. If that fails (unlikely from what I seen thusfar) I'll give this game a chance :D

Yeah ill be playing both lol.

thinktank001

Elite Member

12/05/12 12:57:50 PM#8

Why not do both?   I believe in Perp you just accumulate EP over time and spend your points at a later point in time.