Trending Games | WildStar | Elder Scrolls Online | ArcheAge | Guild Wars 2

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,642,152 Users Online:0
Games:681  Posts:6,076,223
Runic Games | Official Site
Action RPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 09/20/12)  | Pub:Perfect World Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:$19.99 | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Torchlight Forum » General Discussion » Forbes article says TL 2 better value than D3

14 posts found
  User Deleted

OP  6/19/12 8:42:58 AM#1

Interesting article:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/05/14/5-reasons-torchlight-2-is-a-better-bang-for-your-buck-than-diablo-3/

It's pretty obvious if you think about $20 v $60. Beyond that, it will come down to gameplay and how player-friendly the game is compared to D3. 

I am really looking forward to the release of TL2 now. I haven't played the TL2 beta, so I don' t have any direct experience with the game. But I've already pre-purchased.

Can anyone who has played D3 and the TL2 beta compare gameplay?  

lizardbones

Elite Member

I've become dependent upon spell check. My apologies for stupid grammatical errors.

6/19/12 8:49:36 AM#2
Gameplay is very similar. I think D3's character skills and talent trees are better, but I do not think they are $40 better. What D3 really has going for it is the rmah. Well, maybe. For many people that's a minus, not a plus.

For every large, complex problem, there is a simple, clear solution that also happens to be absolutely wrong.

DarkPony

Steed of Tardcore

Confident, cocky, lazy, dead.

6/19/12 8:55:47 AM#3

Yup. That's how I feel about it too. And Path of Exile might be even more value for you buck, when they'll keep their microtransactions "ethical" as they promised. Looking forward to both of them and still glad I skipped buying into the almost scammish D3 concept for 60 something bucks after playing all three beta's.

channel84

Novice Member

6/19/12 8:58:32 AM#4

With Lan support, free TL1 and priced at 20usd, you don't need some forbes analyst to tell u that it's more value for money.

Betaguy

Hard Core Member

Some folks are like Slinkies, totally useless but great fun to watch when pushed down stairs

6/19/12 9:00:16 AM#5
Originally posted by 7star

Interesting article:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/05/14/5-reasons-torchlight-2-is-a-better-bang-for-your-buck-than-diablo-3/

It's pretty obvious if you think about $20 v $60. Beyond that, it will come down to gameplay and how player-friendly the game is compared to D3. 

I am really looking forward to the release of TL2 now. I haven't played the TL2 beta, so I don' t have any direct experience with the game. But I've already pre-purchased.

Can anyone who has played D3 and the TL2 beta compare gameplay?  

I have played both, I wouldn't compare the two as they are totally different games. 

User Deleted

OP  6/19/12 9:08:05 AM#6

Max Shaefer's "gut feeling" is that TL2 will release "late July -early August."

He says that around 11:20 on this vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRLPHtaxJdQ

Seems like a long time away right now.

Edit: Total Bisquit does a good interview here, I might add.

mklinic

Novice Member

6/19/12 9:11:50 AM#7

The same guy wrote http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/05/28/the-diablo-iii-that-never-was/ which also seemed pretty positive on the dev team behind Torchilight (and originally D3 i gather).

Having not tried Torchlight out at all, and having played D3, I appreciate his breakdown. Really, for the price, I figured TL2 would be a pretty good value regardless. Not to derail from the article commentary too much, but is TL2 only available on Steam or is there going ot be a general retail release? Sorry if it's been covered, just didn't find an answer hopping around the TL2 site, but will do some more digging later on if no one answers.

-mklinic

"There's a point I think we're missing.
It's in the air we raise our fists in."
-from Behind Closed Doors by Rise Against

User Deleted

OP  6/19/12 9:15:16 AM#8
Originally posted by mklinic

The same guy wrote http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/05/28/the-diablo-iii-that-never-was/ which also seemed pretty positive on the dev team behind Torchilight (and originally D3 i gather).

Having not tried Torchlight out at all, and having played D3, I appreciate his breakdown. Really, for the price, I figured TL2 would be a pretty good value regardless. Not to derail from the article commentary too much, but is TL2 only available on Steam or is there going ot be a general retail release? Sorry if it's been covered, just didn't find an answer hopping around the TL2 site, but will do some more digging later on if no one answers.

Got mine off of Steam. They have a deal where if you pre-purchase,  you get the original TL too. You can play that right now.

mklinic

Novice Member

6/19/12 9:25:44 AM#9
Originally posted by 7star
Got mine off of Steam. They have a deal where if you pre-purchase,  you get the original TL too. You can play that right now.

Yeah, I just have no interest in setting up a Steam account so was curious if there were other options. Not to make the conversation an argument for or against Steam, just looking for other options. Thanks for answering though. :)

-mklinic

"There's a point I think we're missing.
It's in the air we raise our fists in."
-from Behind Closed Doors by Rise Against

Johaboha

Novice Member

6/19/12 9:32:03 AM#10

Just going to go ahead and disagree, at this point i have paid $0 for Diablo 3, infact i have made $320 including the  60 dollars i initially dropped on the game.

$60 for a chance at a 300% ROI (in one week)  VS $20 for somthing a may play a week and shelv the rest of my life, I see where the real value lies.

RebelScum99

Hard Core Member

6/19/12 9:37:11 AM#11
Originally posted by DarkPony

Yup. That's how I feel about it too. And Path of Exile might be even more value for you buck, when they'll keep their microtransactions "ethical" as they promised. Looking forward to both of them and still glad I skipped buying into the almost scammish D3 concept for 60 something bucks after playing all three beta's.

Depends what you place your value on.  I've played all three games, and D3's gameplay is far superior to the other two.  Whether it's 40 dollars superior is up to the individual to decide, but as far as I'm concerned, the only reason any sane person should find better "value" in the other two games is strictly due to monetary reasons.  In terms of fun factor and gameplay, D3 destroys the other two games, which I found very lacking.  

hundejahre

Novice Member

6/19/12 9:43:39 AM#12

Forbes, since 1917 a name you can trust for videogame recommendations. Cosmo also has an article this month on what Charr REALLY want in bed.

Souldrainer

Spotlight Poster

6/22/12 4:21:48 PM#13

Forbes may not be the best place to get game recommendations from, but they touch on a very prominent point...

You can buy Path of Exile, Grim Dawn, TL 1 + 2, Grim Dawn, and Borderlands 1, all for less than the cost of Diablo 3.  Brand recognition overpricing, much?

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

Aori

Novice Member

6/22/12 4:29:42 PM#14
Originally posted by Johaboha

Just going to go ahead and disagree, at this point i have paid $0 for Diablo 3, infact i have made $320 including the  60 dollars i initially dropped on the game.

$60 for a chance at a 300% ROI (in one week)  VS $20 for somthing a may play a week and shelv the rest of my life, I see where the real value lies.

While i've also made over $300 on the game, from en entertainment perspective I think TL2 will deliver more for your dollar. Most people don't want to fiddle with the RMAH or they don't agree with it and I get that.

Anyways D3 at the moment almost feels like a job and not a form of entertainment, Atleast that is the case for me.