Trending Games | ArcheAge | World of Warcraft | Elder Scrolls Online | Star Wars: The Old Republic

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,923,458 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,316,446
Runic Games | Official Site
Action RPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 09/20/12)  | Pub:Perfect World Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:$19.99 | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Torchlight Forum » General Discussion » Torchlight II and Diablo III

3 Pages « 1 2 3 Search
58 posts found
  IrishChai

Hard Core Member

5/19/12 6:24:15 AM#41

The random encounters across the maps appears to be a lot more diverse in Torchlight 2 than they are in Diablo 3. I've already played D3 through normal and in to nightmare but it already feels like I've encountered more random events, special mobs, caves, and explored more of T2 just in my first day playing it. They're both awesome games, but I think I'd play T2 more when I'm in the mood to explore and uncover random new areas.

D3 felt more balanced in difficulty and challenge. Maybe that's still being adjusted in T2 since it's just beta, but I'm finding it way too easy at the moment just comparing 'normal' T2 to 'normal' D3. I should probably be playing T2 at a higher setting since all I've been playing are ARPGs for the past month.

Lobotomist

Hard Core Member

I got so much trouble on my mind Refuse to lose.

5/19/12 8:04:31 AM#42
Originally posted by DarkPony
Originally posted by Lobotomist
Originally posted by DarkPony

That was my impression too, so why the vicious attack? Because I would personally pick this game over D3?

Yes that was below the belt, I appologise.

Its just that I feel many here are trying to spread misinformations, for whatever reason. (panda rage maybe ;))

Ok, accepted.

I am not one of those people; before I beta'd either game (D3 and TL2) I wasn't hyped for any of them. Pretty much a blank slate this time around. Just giving my impression and personal choice based on my own experiences. And I really can't get around prefering TL2 from what I've experienced so far. For a variety of reasons. 

Shame i have to repeat this 100 times

Diablo 3 beta =/= Diablo 3 release

They did themselves such disfavor by letting people play that stripped down limited crap that was D3 beta.

Release client is hugely different, even in the starting areas.

But this is exactly what I am talking about. People spread misinformation based mostly on that POS beta client

User Deleted

OP  5/19/12 8:16:35 AM#43
Originally posted by IrishChai

I'm playing both and love both for different reasons, so it's not going to be a 'one or the other' decision for me. I'm getting both and will just play whichever one fits my mood at the time. 

I made it to level 23 on normal so  far in D3. Server is down for maintenance, so I am checking  in here. I'm having a great time. 

But TL 2 is only $20, so I am just going to pick that up, too.

Banquetto

Apprentice Member

5/19/12 8:21:31 AM#44

Originally posted by ArEf
Both it and Diablo 3 share a similar art style. Whether Diablo 3 took inspiration from Torchlight 1 or what, I don't know.

[mod edit]

I'm not going to say which art style I prefer out of Torchlight 2 and Diablo 3. But I will say that if you think their graphics are in any way even remotely similar in style, you are either (a) blind, (b) stoned, (c) trolling or (d) all of the above.

synn

Apprentice Member

5/19/12 8:26:31 AM#45
Originally posted by Banquetto

Both it and Diablo 3 share a similar art style. Whether Diablo 3 took inspiration from Torchlight 1 or what, I don't know.

Can you pass me the crack pipe when you've finished taking that mighty hit on it.

I'm not going to say which art style I prefer out of Torchlight 2 and Diablo 3. But I will say that if you think their graphics are in any way even remotely similar in style, you are either (a) blind, (b) stoned, (c) trolling or (d) all of the above.

Wasn't the devs of TL from the team that made D2?
  drel

Novice Member

5/19/12 8:28:23 AM#46

Isn't D3 bigger in size with more to explore than T2?

Anyone?

zymurgeist

Hard Core Member

5/19/12 8:28:30 AM#47
Originally posted by synn

Can you pass me the crack pipe when you've finished taking that mighty hit on it.

Some were most weren't. I don't think the art supervisor was.

"Strong and bitter words indicate a weak cause" ~Victor Hugo

Kabaal

Novice Member

Haggis Humper

5/19/12 8:37:14 AM#48

The team that made D1 & 2 are scattered all over various different companies. There are 2 of the devs from Diablo working on torchlight along with the the guy who made FATE and the people who made Mythos.

Nadia

Tipster

5/19/12 9:02:36 AM#49
Originally posted by Kabaal

The team that made D1 & 2 are scattered all over various different companies. There are 2 of the devs from Diablo working on torchlight along with the the guy who made FATE and the people who made Mythos.

3 Diablo devs   (highlighted in yello)

• Travis Baldree is the project lead and is also the lead programmer and designer.
  • Programming: Marsh Lefler, Greg Brown, Peter Hu
  • Business Stuff: Max Schaefer
  • Art: Jason Beck (lead), Adam Perin, Sirio Brozzi, Kyle Cornelius, Matt Lefferts, Jamus Thayn, Patrick Blank, Jeremy Huxley, Mike Fisher, Kevin Green, Jeff Mianowski
  • Design: Erich Schaefer, John Dunbar, Patrick Blank, Leo Miller

http://www.mobygames.com/company/runic-games-inc

Erich Schaefer

http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,11643/

Max Schaefer

http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,11645/

Peter Hu

http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,20641/

Banquetto

Apprentice Member

5/19/12 9:33:25 AM#50

Originally posted by zymurgeist

Originally posted by Banquetto   I'm not going to say which art style I prefer out of Torchlight 2 and Diablo 3. But I will say that if you think their graphics are in any way even remotely similar in style, you are either (a) blind, (b) stoned, (c) trolling or (d) all of the above.
 Some were most weren't. I don't think the art supervisor was.

Even if he was, fact is, the art style is completely different. People can do more than one style.

Nadia

Tipster

5/19/12 9:53:16 AM#51
Originally posted by gaeanprayer

The amount of people in the studio is irrelevant to the quality of the game, I could point out many examples of crap pushed out by large studios, including the one you just poked at Pony about. That's not saying D3 is crap, but it is saying that TL2's quality has nothing to do with the smaller company backing. If you need an example of a small studio doing great things, Minecraft is that way *points*

fully agree with this :)

Darkmoth

Novice Member

5/28/12 10:20:06 PM#52

I haven't played the TL2 Beta, but I am halfway through NM in D3. D3 looks fabulous, but the main reason I'll probably be moving to TL2 is...well...I really miss being able to wear the gear I find. Since TL2 doesn't have an AH, I expect wearable gear will drop more often than in D3.

D3 drops are pretty clearly designed to be AH fodder, to get you cash, to buy gear you can wear.  That's fine, just not my cup o' tea. I miss looking through loot after a run and finding a decent upgrade.

MurlockDance

Apprentice Member

5/29/12 3:52:04 AM#53
Originally posted by Darkmoth

I haven't played the TL2 Beta, but I am halfway through NM in D3. D3 looks fabulous, but the main reason I'll probably be moving to TL2 is...well...I really miss being able to wear the gear I find. Since TL2 doesn't have an AH, I expect wearable gear will drop more often than in D3.

D3 drops are pretty clearly designed to be AH fodder, to get you cash, to buy gear you can wear.  That's fine, just not my cup o' tea. I miss looking through loot after a run and finding a decent upgrade.

Yes, fully agree with this.

The ARPG I have been anticipating since it was announced is this one, TL2. Last year, before the annual pass offer, I wasn't even thinking about D3 to be honest. It is not just the game itself that attracts me, or the offline play. It is the fact that it supports an active modding community that Blizzard never will.

That doesn't mean I won't play D3 ever again once TL2 comes out. I think there is room for both. It is a shame that some people seem to have on/off switches and think they have to play either or. Why not both? It is not like TL2 is that expensive...

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

Siveria

Spotlight Poster

5/29/12 4:03:18 AM#54

I played D3 bought it, and well, I feel it was the biggest waste of money for me in recent years. I played the cracked tl2 beta )I already pre-ordered TL2 anyway) and from playing the rtl2 beta for 20 mins I feel its a better game than D3 was after I put like 20+ hours into diablo 3. I played d3 for like 2 days or so, then I kinda just haven't bothered with it. D3 is just not intersting to me at all due to never being able to make any decisions about my char at all, the drop rate as someone else mentioned in this thread is garbage, which forces you to use the AH. Overall the game just is not fun. Tl2 is alot more fun and it has modability which means Tl2 has far FAR more lastability than diablo 3 ever will. A friend told me that the lead producer for d3 worked on world of warcraft, which probally explains why D3 turned into such a piece of shit.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

User Deleted
6/17/12 8:01:04 PM#55

Any update on the TL 2 release date?

ven7ura

Novice Member

7/02/12 6:10:41 PM#56
Originally posted by 7star

There is still no information about the release date, yet. I just pre-ordered the 4-pack on Steam and I don't know if it was a bug or something, but when I was at checkout I read "Release Date: July 2012"

On their site they claim that the beta is over and they implemented some changes, that could mean something.

Nadia

Tipster

7/12/12 10:38:41 PM#57

no news yet

http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=30109

Postby BrianW » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:42 am

Hey, folks. Thanks for waiting patiently. We're working on some awesome things for you and we can't wait to show what we've got when it's finished. In the meantime, if you have questions about billing for your order, you should contact Steam or Perfect World. ;)
  User Deleted
8/07/12 9:39:13 PM#58
Originally posted by ven7ura

There is still no information about the release date, yet. I just pre-ordered the 4-pack on Steam and I don't know if it was a bug or something, but when I was at checkout I read "Release Date: July 2012"

On their site they claim that the beta is over and they implemented some changes, that could mean something.

Still waiting!

I saw a video interview on this site with one of the devs and he jokingly asked if the end of August was still summer 2012. I don't have a link, but I think you can find it here pretty easily.

So much gaming goodness! Enjoying TSW, GW2 coming out soon (never played in beta -- so it's totally new for me), and TL2 coming out  soonish.

Got a cheap sub to Darkfall with 20x skill gains (finally got around to setting up my hotkeys again).  Got Arma 2 on the HD (and a bunch of other stuff from the Steam summer sale) and still looking for time to try the DayZ mod. Vanguard ftp to see what that game is about (but when will I ever have time?).  Feeling good about the gaming :D 

Come on TL2!!!

3 Pages « 1 2 3 Search