Trending Games | ArcheAge | Elder Scrolls Online | World of Warcraft | Star Wars: The Old Republic

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,922,709 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,315,533
Runic Games | Official Site
Action RPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 09/20/12)  | Pub:Perfect World Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:$19.99 | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Torchlight Forum » General Discussion » Torchlight II and Diablo III

3 Pages « 1 2 3 » Search
58 posts found
  Stizzled

Tipster

Kill Your Heroes

5/19/12 2:29:50 AM#21
Originally posted by Lobotomist

Let me put the biggest difference that maters up front:

Development budget - plain and simple:

Torchlight 2 is done by Runic game, company grounded by Travis Baldtree, a guy that designed original Diablo.

He proved over and over that he can do greatest Diablo like games.

But - Runic is company of 20 people with limited budget and the game had around 1 year of development time

Diablo 3 is done by company that done all original Diablos. Company that takes pride in holding best of the best designers, writters and artists in the buisness. And also works everything to perfection.

Diablo 3 was actively developed for over 8 years by 500 people and had unlimited budget

So imagine that both game had great talented teams, but vastly different resources available.

That is Diablo 3 vs Torchlight for you.

So basically on the end of the day Diablo wins on the share amount of content put in it.

And dont get confused by "Someone finished the game in 12 hours" posts. You can actually finish it in 4 hours (there is achievement for this in the game).

But they put enough content that everytime you play it, you see completely different dungeons - i mean with different graphic even.

I mean ammount of content is staggering.

Other important difference between D3 and T2 is online play

If you like to play online T2 is moddable and there is apsolutely no control over hacks. So if you play public games expect GOD MODE characters to join all the time. It will be pointless to play with anyone but close friends.

On other side D3 online game is what the game is about. Its balanced and controlled and always populated.

So bottom line

If you dont care about multiplayer , and dont have 60$ - Torchlight 2 is great game and well worth the money.

Diablo 3 on other hand is simply much more everything.

Travis Baldree had nothing to do with Diablo, he was the man behind Fate, a game that Torchlight has taken many ideas from. I think you mean to say the Schaefer brothers, who were the brains behind the original Diablo and Diablo II, along with David Brevik and Bill Roper.

As for my take on both games, my money is on TL2, it's just more fun to me. It also sports several of the top names in the ARPG world, no one can deny that.

DarkPony

Steed of Tardcore

Confident, cocky, lazy, dead.

5/19/12 2:32:18 AM#22

I played both games only shortly so far and didn't join the forum wars between them before, but TL2 feels very rich in many aspects. A lot of love, ingenuity and skill went into this game. After this beta weekend I'll bloggity blog about it and so far it looks like it will be hugely positive.

If I had to make a choice now, between D3 and TL2, I'd pick the latter right away. And that is with leaving the $45 difference in price tags out of the equation. Imagine that.

Phry

Elite Member

5/19/12 2:32:28 AM#23
Originally posted by gaeanprayer
Originally posted by TROLL_HARD

What are the main differences between these games and why would you play one over the other?

I'm not putting a poll in or asking which one is better. I'm sure if it comes down to sheer numbers, D3 will have an overwhelming victory. 

I want to know the opinions of people who have played (D3 beta or TL demo, etc)  or researched both games and who have an informed opinion.

Torchlight 2 is done by Runic game, company grounded by Travis Baldtree, a guy that designed original Diablo.

But - Runic is company of 20 people with limited budget and the game had around 1 year of development time

Diablo 3 is done by company that done all original Diablos. Company that takes pride in holding best of the best designers, writters and artists in the buisness. And also works everything to perfection.

Diablo 3 was actively developed for over 8 years by 500 people and had unlimited budget

So imagine that both game had great talented teams, but vastly different resources available.

That is Diablo 3 vs Torchlight for you

I think he means Torchlight 2. Torchlight 1 is the game that had a limited budget and 1 year dev time, they pretty much have the freedom to take as long as they want with Torchlight 2, and they have. That's why it's a much deeper game than the first one which, while fun, was rather short and shallow. TL1 felt like one long, hobby dungeon, TL2 feels like an actual fleshed-out game.

The differences in the game are pretty distinct. Despite what people are doing in the forums, the games aren't that comparable to one another. They both fit into the aRPG genre and have a storyline, that's it. Torchlight 2 has stat customization, Diablo 3 focuses more on skill customization.  Sounds like Torchlight 2 is longer than Diablo 3, a speed run of D3 was done in 5.5 hours, and there's an achievement for a 5 hour speed run in the very first Torchlight. The entirety of Torchlight is "comparable to 2/3 of just the first act of Torchlight 2", to quote. 

D3 is online only, TL2 is online + offline. D3 has RMH, TL2 has a mod community just like the Elder Scrolls games do. D3 is slightly more realistic in graphics, TL2 is far more stylized and while it has some dark, creepy environments, D3 sorta corners the market there. Traditionally, at least. I don't know what the D3 level designs are but I'm assuming they kept with the bloody darkness of the first two games.

Then of course the price difference. D3 is $60, TL2 is $20. Also, Diablo tends to get expansions, Runic so far hasn't shown that tradition with their TL game series, the first didn't have any and they said they're not 100% positive what they're doing once TL2 is done just that it depended on the community. As the mod tools are there for people to create their own content, it's sort of up in the air, the only indication of expansions they've mentioned is, "If people want it enough, we'll do it."

Oh and, D3 is already out, TL2 is at least a month away. I think that's the bulk of it.

its hard not to see TL2 as being a better game, and most definitely better value for money than D3 is, and to be honest i am glad, because there are several factors about D3 that i find disturbing, not just the box price, but the whole RMAH in general, it seems like a blatant nickel and dime operation, with some pretty hefty up front costs, and you can complete the thing in 5 hours..  D3 at the moment, looks like a game based around a financial model.. whereas TL2 seems to be a game..  that focuses more on the player having a good time, and not one thats more concerned about how much cash is in their wallet.. so i really hope TL2 is a huge success, i think some trends need to be encouraged, and others curbed.

Lobotomist

Hard Core Member

I got so much trouble on my mind Refuse to lose.

5/19/12 2:54:21 AM#24

What are the main differences between these games and why would you play one over the other?

I'm not putting a poll in or asking which one is better. I'm sure if it comes down to sheer numbers, D3 will have an overwhelming victory. 

I want to know the opinions of people who have played (D3 beta or TL demo, etc)  or researched both games and who have an informed opinion.

I think he means Torchlight 2. Torchlight 1 is the game that had a limited budget and 1 year dev time, they pretty much have the freedom to take as long as they want with Torchlight 2, and they have. That's why it's a much deeper game than the first one which, while fun, was rather short and shallow. TL1 felt like one long, hobby dungeon, TL2 feels like an actual fleshed-out game.

The differences in the game are pretty distinct. Despite what people are doing in the forums, the games aren't that comparable to one another. They both fit into the aRPG genre and have a storyline, that's it. Torchlight 2 has stat customization, Diablo 3 focuses more on skill customization.  Sounds like Torchlight 2 is longer than Diablo 3, a speed run of D3 was done in 5.5 hours, and there's an achievement for a 5 hour speed run in the very first Torchlight. The entirety of Torchlight is "comparable to 2/3 of just the first act of Torchlight 2", to quote. 

D3 is online only, TL2 is online + offline. D3 has RMH, TL2 has a mod community just like the Elder Scrolls games do. D3 is slightly more realistic in graphics, TL2 is far more stylized and while it has some dark, creepy environments, D3 sorta corners the market there. Traditionally, at least. I don't know what the D3 level designs are but I'm assuming they kept with the bloody darkness of the first two games.

Then of course the price difference. D3 is $60, TL2 is $20. Also, Diablo tends to get expansions, Runic so far hasn't shown that tradition with their TL game series, the first didn't have any and they said they're not 100% positive what they're doing once TL2 is done just that it depended on the community. As the mod tools are there for people to create their own content, it's sort of up in the air, the only indication of expansions they've mentioned is, "If people want it enough, we'll do it."

Oh and, D3 is already out, TL2 is at least a month away. I think that's the bulk of it.

EDIT - oh ya, and TL2 has a really useful pet system. However, it doesn't have crafting, at least not what I've seen from the demo, and I believe that's something D3 did include, if I remember correctly.

I comming from a point of being Torchlight fanboy and following and supporting them for years now.

They said numerous time that reason Torchlight 2 is taking that long is the reason that they only have 20 people on the team.

Nadia

Tipster

5/19/12 3:12:34 AM#25

Im coming from a point of being Torchlight fanboy and following and supporting them for years now.

They said numerous time that reason Torchlight 2 is taking that long is the reason that they only have 20 people on the team.

i havent followed T2 that closely but sounds reasonable

in 2009, they had 26 staff on their roster

http://www.rpgamer.com/games/other/pc/torchlight/torchlightint.html

• Travis Baldree is the project lead and is also the lead programmer and designer.
  • Programming: Marsh Lefler, Greg Brown, Peter Hu
  • Business Stuff: Max Schaefer
  • Art: Jason Beck (lead), Adam Perin, Sirio Brozzi, Kyle Cornelius, Matt Lefferts, Jamus Thayn, Patrick Blank, Jeremy Huxley, Mike Fisher, Kevin Green, Jeff Mianowski
  • Design: Erich Schaefer, John Dunbar, Patrick Blank, Leo Miller
  • QA: Ian Welke (lead), Jason Lamb
  • Producing/Programming: Brock Jones
  • Admin/PR: Wonder Russell
  • Composer: Matt Uelmen

User Deleted
5/19/12 3:20:44 AM#26

So basically on the end of the day Diablo wins on the share amount of content put in it.

And dont get confused by "Someone finished the game in 12 hours" posts. You can actually finish it in 4 hours (there is achievement for this in the game).

But they put enough content that everytime you play it, you see completely different dungeons - i mean with different graphic even.

Actually not so true in this case. I've played both, and baring any admitted flaws Blizzard has put into D3 on normal mode, the content difference between these two titles is staggeringly different in the opposite direction then what you are suggesting. Torchlight definitely has the upper hand on the content being randomized to the max. Both their open world areas and dungeons are unlimitedly randomized whereas most of D3's randomizations are dungeons only. There is also a striking lack of randomization in D3 so far compared to the beta of Torchlight so in this case you are wrong. The amount of money Blizz put into their game does make for a more 3D experience, does give it more flash and pizzaz but for shear enjoyment, i've gotta say the people who made D2 in the first place are the winners and that's Runic Games from the standpoint of content.  D3 is definitely nothing like D2 in the content department simply from a randomization, number of random dungeons standpoint. Now this may change down the road but it's been my experience so far that the number of things to actually do in Torchlight thus far is vastly larger due to better design decisions on Runics part. The only other thing i think people might see the difference between these two titles in is the cinematics. Torchlight being a smaller company doesn't really have this but again, i play games to enjoy playing the games, not to watch videos.

Lobotomist

Hard Core Member

5/19/12 3:23:25 AM#27
Originally posted by itgrowls

Actually not so true in this case. I've played both, and baring any admitted flaws Blizzard has put into D3 on normal mode, the content difference between these two titles is staggeringly different in the opposite direction then what you are suggesting. Torchlight definitely has the upper hand on the content being randomized to the max. Both their open world areas and dungeons are unlimitedly randomized whereas most of D3's randomizations are dungeons only. There is also a striking lack of randomization in D3 so far compared to the beta of Torchlight so in this case you are wrong. The amount of money Blizz put into their game does make for a more 3D experience, does give it more flash and pizzaz but for shear enjoyment, i've gotta say the people who made D2 in the first place are the winners and that's Runic Games from the standpoint of content.  D3 is definitely nothing like D2 in the content department simply from a randomization, number of random dungeons standpoint. Now this may change down the road but it's been my experience so far that the number of things to actually do in Torchlight thus far is vastly larger due to better design decisions on Runics part. The only other thing i think people might see the difference between these two titles in is the cinematics. Torchlight being a smaller company doesn't really have this but again, i play games to enjoy playing the games, not to watch videos.

And you base this on your experience playing Diablo 3 beta ?

Am I right or wrong ?

DarkPony

Steed of Tardcore

5/19/12 3:24:09 AM#28
Originally posted by DarkPony

I played both games only shortly so far and didn't join the forum wars between them before, but TL2 feels very rich in many aspects. A lot of love, ingenuity and skill went into this game. After this beta weekend I'll bloggity blog about it and so far it looks like it will be hugely positive.

If I had to make a choice now, between D3 and TL2, I'd pick the latter right away. And that is with leaving the $45 difference in price tags out of the equation. Imagine that.

[mod edit]

You really disappoint me by writing that. Lobo. I thought you were a bit smarter, more mature and better than that.

edit: Have you actually played TL2 yet?

User Deleted
5/19/12 3:28:35 AM#29

Am I right or wrong ?

I base this on playing D3 full edition and playing Torchlight II beta, so far i'm more impressed with Torchlight II beta in so far as content is concerned. D3 is a lead you through the main story almost exclusively the main story type of game right now. Now this might be because something is wrong with the code but so far i have hardly seen any randomized dungeons in D3 which is the bulk of these types of games and it's in full release. TL2's beta has no such issue, there are random things to do on side quests all over the place.

Nadia

Tipster

5/19/12 3:36:16 AM#30

edit: removed my comment, wasnt constructive  ;)

Lobotomist

Hard Core Member

5/19/12 3:53:33 AM#31

Am I right or wrong ?

I base this on playing D3 full edition and playing Torchlight II beta, so far i'm more impressed with Torchlight II beta in so far as content is concerned. D3 is a lead you through the main story almost exclusively the main story type of game right now. Now this might be because something is wrong with the code but so far i have hardly seen any randomized dungeons in D3 which is the bulk of these types of games and it's in full release. TL2's beta has no such issue, there are random things to do on side quests all over the place.

Impossible

Either you are lying trough your theeth and never actually played D3 release , or you just skipped any exploring and just concentrated on quest objective on the map.

----->

Just to illustrate how randomised Diablo 3 is (for the people that actually are here for fact and not lies)

Second part of chapter 1 happens in rural area of Westfall (dont remember the name now)

Its big open area and if you dont run straight for quest locations here are random quests I ecountered on different characters (they are random, and second character does not encounter them at all)

1. Farm being attacked by demon bats - timed event

2. Farmer asking you to eradicate bat spawn areas - 3 parts quest

3. Strange event with farmer and his dead mother - kind of Psyho omage

4. Underwater cave

5. Monster den

6. Mass grave

7. Hounted chapel - ghost asking you to kill his cursed brothers - timed event

8. Escort merchant

9. A house where mass murder happened

10. Merchant asking you to help him eradicate and prospect silver mine - on the end opens exceptional store for you (bought some kick ass weapons)

11. Special merchant - witch house with dyes

12. Deliver message

+ Many  special boss monster spawns all over the map

+ Many random lore parchments fully voiced and unrelated to main story.

All these events happen only once, and never again. And are completely random.

So you might see them or not. Sometimes there are a lot of them, other time none.

I am sory but if that is not randomised , i dont know what is.

Plus, such high detail means that teams put in huge amount of content you dont actually see in the game, and only see it if the coin flips and you did explore. Basically you are seeing 1% of the game while other is hidden and random.

You must understand that to do this you need huge team and lot of time (and money)

You simply can not do it with small team. The content ammount is to big.

Hence Torchlight , no mater how good team it has, can never ammount to Diablo 2

Lobotomist

Hard Core Member

5/19/12 4:00:21 AM#32

[mod edit]

You really disappoint me by writing that. Lobo. I thought you were a bit smarter, more mature and better than that.

I am huge fan of Torchligh and Runic. And have been in T2 beta for 3 weeks now.

Its amazing game. Real credit to Travis.

I am just saying that we should be realistic. They are both great games. And both have awesome teams behind them.

But development time and budget does show. Simple as that.

Its like one chef making you Steak Antricot , and second Beaf Steak.

When Both chefs are excellent , ingredients are what counts

Simple as that...

gaeanprayer

Novice Member

5/19/12 4:01:25 AM#33

EDIT - oh ya, and TL2 has a really useful pet system. However, it doesn't have crafting, at least not what I've seen from the demo, and I believe that's something D3 did include, if I remember correctly.

I comming from a point of being Torchlight fanboy and following and supporting them for years now.

That's nice, but nowhere in my post did I say anything about the amount of people working on it. The amount of people in the studio is irrelevant to the quality of the game, I could point out many examples of crap pushed out by large studios, including the one you just poked at Pony about. That's not saying D3 is crap, but it is saying that TL2's quality has nothing to do with the smaller company backing. If you need an example of a small studio doing great things, Minecraft is that way *points*

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

fivoroth

Spotlight Poster

5/19/12 4:07:31 AM#34

Am I missing something here? Since when is $60 not an acceptable price for an AAA game? There are a lot of games out there that cost $60 a have a lot less content thatn Diablo. Also it was super cheap in the UK especially for a AAA game.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

gaeanprayer

Novice Member

5/19/12 4:11:50 AM#35
Originally posted by fivoroth

Am I missing something here? Since when is $60 not an acceptable price for an AAA game? There are a lot of games out there that cost $60 a have a lot less content thatn Diablo. Also it was super cheap in the UK especially for a AAA game.

No one is implying $60 isn't the standard for a AAA game, but neither are most people blinded enough by fanaticism that spending less for game they'd also enjoy is suddenly irrelevant.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

DarkPony

Steed of Tardcore

5/19/12 4:23:28 AM#36

[mod edit]

I am huge fan of Torchligh and Runic. And have been in T2 beta for 3 weeks now.

Its amazing game. Real credit to Travis.

I am just saying that we should be realistic. They are both great games. And both have awesome teams behind them.

But development time and budget does show. Simple as that.

Its like one chef making you Steak Antricot , and second Beaf Steak.

When Both chefs are excellent , ingredients are what counts

Simple as that...

That was my impression too, so why the vicious attack? Because I would personally pick this game over D3?

Can't see the lack of development time and effort myself yet (at level 20 now). Amazingly rich, polished and detailed game.

p.s. they announced that they were already working on this game in august 2010. Depending on how long they were already on it, that's closer to 2 years than 1.

FrodoFragins

Hard Core Member

5/19/12 4:42:06 AM#37

I'll be honest and say that I was soured on Runic as soon as I finished the main campaign in TL1.  I got around 30 hours of playing time on it and just got bored with it all.  D2 gave me years and probably close to 1000 hours of fun.  TL1 was basically a cash grab and tech demo for their eventual MMO, which is where the publisher is most interested in.  It's impressive that they cranked it out in a year, but I'm pretty sure they carried a lot over from FATE, even if they publicly can't adm   

I thought the TL1 story was crap, the combat and soundtrack was excellent and the art direction was consistent and unique but it definitely was too cartoony.  The ability to send pets back to town was an excellent addition to the genre but the designers failed to improve on the obvious problems with their designs in D2.  For instance no respecs and endlessly popping pots.

Despite being soured on Runic,I almost certainly would have purchased TL2 at $20 if it was released a year ago.  I don't think the game will be a long term play for many people.  It's definitely too bad that they don't have the resources to host closed servers.  That's a big limitation for people that want to dedicate a lot of time to a D2 closed BNET like game.

TL2 would probably be a great introduction to the genre for those that are onthe fence regarding buying a $60 D3.

JeroKane

Elite Member

5/19/12 4:47:17 AM#38
Originally posted by fivoroth

No one is implying $60 isn't the standard for a AAA game, but neither are most people blinded enough by fanaticism that spending less for game they'd also enjoy is suddenly irrelevant.

If people take some effort and time, then they would find at least ONE store in their local neighbourhood selling it for the normal 50 bucks!

I could! Even in Oslo, Norway (Europe), where the record store (not gamestore) was selling it cheaper!

Lobotomist

Hard Core Member

5/19/12 4:50:41 AM#39

That was my impression too, so why the vicious attack? Because I would personally pick this game over D3?

Yes that was below the belt, I appologise.

Its just that I feel many here are trying to spread misinformations, for whatever reason. (panda rage maybe ;))

DarkPony

Steed of Tardcore

5/19/12 5:14:33 AM#40

Yes that was below the belt, I appologise.

Its just that I feel many here are trying to spread misinformations, for whatever reason. (panda rage maybe ;))

Ok, accepted.

I am not one of those people; before I beta'd either game (D3 and TL2) I wasn't hyped for any of them. Pretty much a blank slate this time around. Just giving my impression and personal choice based on my own experiences. And I really can't get around prefering TL2 from what I've experienced so far. For a variety of reasons. 

3 Pages « 1 2 3 » Search