Trending Games | World of Warcraft | EverQuest | Guild Wars 2 | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,905,808 Users Online:0
Games:757  Posts:6,296,566
Runic Games | Official Site
Action RPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 09/20/12)  | Pub:Perfect World Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:$19.99 | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

1 posts found
  Lord_Ixigan

Novice Member

"Shut the face hole! I am preparing to say things!"

OP  11/01/09 9:10:23 PM#1

I'm not usually one to just make a praise thread, but Torchlight has impressed me. It's not any sort of revolution in RPG's, not by any stretch of the imagination.

The graphics are in that 'stylized' (a term I despise because it tries to make blocky textures sound more prestigious than they are) version, just like in Warcraft (a much updated version of WC3-styled graphics). Even though the graphics aren't entirely my cup of tea, the art-style isn't too bad all in all. And the animations are smooth as silk...I mean, SMOOTH. All the combat and spell animations are so smooth it's a little surprising.

Plus considering how cheap it is it's all in all a pretty great game. I have to wonder how they're going to drag an mmo out of this, but if the game handles this smoothly then I'd be interested in giving it a go.

Though if it's going to come out post '11 then I'll probably be playing ToR or something else.

With Borderlands having come out too I have renewed hope for RPG's in general. Borderlands more than Torchlight of course, but a return to smooth gameplay and great characters. I think the MMO side of things could really benefit from taking a few huge steps back. Devs need to just step away from everything currently flitting about in their minds as they make their games. A nice, huge step back to put everything in perspective.

Once everything has been pushed out maybe then we can have someone start back at square one on the design side of things. Back to basics and then from there decide what it is, on a situational basis, wanted to be improved upon or changed. Develop without concern for what is going on around you and with passion and certainty. I think a large part of the problem these days is devs are second-guessing themselves. Well..anyway, yeah, it's nice to see people making games they want to the way they want to again.